Kroot Hunting Pack

Welp guess I'm playing 40k again. Full Kroot Army let's goooooooo!

8 minutes ago, andes said:

I'm very excited about these fellows. I had a blast painting the Farstalker Kinband for KT, these look as characterful but a bit less intricate which I appreciate. Guess we're getting the T'au codex next...

Best part is it's just a recut of the old kit with more stuff. They have held up so well.

I love this!

Seems to be indication that there will be more Shaper options too.

Oh lawd, GW been releasing so much cool stuff the past few years I want it all (but don't have space).

T'au were my first army though and I loved the short story of a Kroot force ambushing some Eldar (Rangers?).

Edited by Hfran Morkai

8 minutes ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Anyone who still has their old white dwarf with the Kroot rules from 4th(?) edition is going to get this box. These may be the most appealing 40K models I’ve seen recently. Reminds me a lot of the aesthetic of the newer Necromunda stuff.

I still have that white dwarf and the wierd converted kroot I geuss I still can't use but whatever Kroot are an army again I love it.

7 minutes ago, Hfran Morkai said:

I love this!

Seems to be indication that there will be more Shaper options too.

Oh lawd, GW been releasing so much cool stuff the oast few years I want it all (but don't have space).

T'au were my first army though and I loved the short story of a Kroot force ambushing some Eldar (Rangers?).

I guess it's LT and Captain level shapers.

27 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I guess it's LT and Captain level shapers.

It actually sounded like different classes of shapers, since they took the example of warshapers (the commander) and fleshshapers (who'd be the equivalent to apothecaries/tech marines? They said these guys are the genetic connoisseurs, who tell their buddies which meat to eat and which not in order to improve their characteristics)

I'm happy for Kroot fans :smile: I'm just excited to see that an old army, originating from the pages of White Dwarf, is being revived for current 40k :yes: 

I really hope they do the same for the Lost and the Damned army list - either as another White Dwarf article, or with rules in the forthcoming Chaos Codex (please!) :sweat:

Love these so much. Defo aiming for a box, I’ve always liked Tau anyway and the Kroot design has always been amazing. And this is apparently only about half the stuff they’re getting!

1 hour ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Anyone who still has their old white dwarf with the Kroot rules from 4th(?) edition is going to get this box. These may be the most appealing 40K models I’ve seen recently. Reminds me a lot of the aesthetic of the newer Necromunda stuff.

I remember reading the army list in one of the Chapter Approved books, which I'm guessing is just compiled mostly from WD. Ork-fed Kroot with better toughness if I recall was my go-to. :)

40 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

I love them, I just wish they were getting a full separate Codex instead of just a detachment.

On the other hand, this detachment appears to have more models in it than the entire World Eaters army if this does turn out to be only half of what's coming. 

Absolutely made up to see Kroot get the limelight – like @mecanojavi99, the only fly in the ointment is that they're still Tau auxiliaries rather than their own Codex.

However, on the plus side is literally everything else:

• Specific kroot-only army rules, so you don't need any Tau:
    • '[...]dedicated Detachment in the new Codex: T’au Empire. The Kroot Hunting Pack allows you to deploy an all-Kroot force, replete with thematic Enhancements and Stratagems.'
  • New options for existing units
    • Two Shaper options with new weapons
    • New tanglebomb launcher special weapon for the Carnivores
    • New tanglebomb cannon for the Krootox
  • New revealed sculpts for every entry (bar the kroothounds as a separate box)
  • More sculpts and options on the way.

I'm also pleased to see that the old sculpts will fit in nicely alongside the new ones.

Best part is it's just a recut of the old kit with more stuff. They have held up so well.

I can't be sure, but fairly confident that these are new sculpts rather than a recut – the new Carnivores look slightly more gracile (smaller hands and heads), and there are lots of minor differences in pose and detailing. However, that's rather by-the-by; I agree that the old ones have held up beautifully (thank the God-Emperor for Brian Nelson!), and the new ones are clearly sticking closely to the aesthetic. I think mixing the new ones in with the old will just enhance the overall look. :)

Most exciting for me is the new cavalry:

image.png.78af96897c81f757eaa1b9166e3dd178.png

image.png.7dcf93991e3c12d253b5dace1a3886aa.png

image.png.379bf4bd1bdd7cfd6683a332b92ed7ba.png

...which I think are just awesome. Lovely and dynamic, wonderful simian poses, and I really like the armour/accoutrements. The riders are a delight too, and it's looking like there's going to be plenty of bits that can be mixed and matched across the range.

Edited by apologist

4 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Now if they let me give them wings as well.......

God I loved that Chapter Approved article back in the day.