Kroot Hunting Pack

Ugh!,  I won't be able to afford this yet, but... it does make me happy to know the T'AU codex will be out "Sooner than you think!"TM 

M. 

"This box is also the first place you’ll be able to get Codex: T’au Empire, which contains all of the rules for the miniatures in the box and the rest of the T’au Empire’s forces, and comes with unique artwork. You also get a pack of 44 cards containing an army rule card, a double-sided drone rules card, four Combat Patrol datasheets and 38 T’au Empire Datasheets."

Current Tau index has 37 unit entries. As new kroot units joined, some need to be combined or retired. My guess is tidewalls combined and longstrike retired.

Edited by Tokugawa

New datasheets:

• Rampagers
  • War Shaper
  • Flesh Shaper
  • Trail Shaper
  • Lone Spear

That would bring the standing total up to 42, so 4 datasheets are going or consolidating. Tidewall consolidation would only remove two of those, so we're definitely looking at losing a couple of characters (unless they nuke the Tactical Drone squad instead).

10 minutes ago, Mr. Oddity said:

New datasheets:

• Rampagers
  • War Shaper
  • Flesh Shaper
  • Trail Shaper
  • Lone Spear

That would bring the standing total up to 42, so 4 datasheets are going or consolidating. Tidewall consolidation would only remove two of those, so we're definitely looking at losing a couple of characters (unless they nuke the Tactical Drone squad instead).

Old kroot shaper model could become one of the "kroot xyz shaper" and occupy 1 less slot.

@Tokugawa Completely missed that, fair point. So if Shaper is being dropped and replaced then we're only losing a single character or unit potentially. You're probably correct about Longstrike in that case since he's not available for sale anymore.

The kit is still available, but the Sniper Drones are one of the few remaining resin kits. I could see that potentially going away. It'd be a shame, I really like that concept. Vespid too, but with the KT rumors circulating I find it unlikely

The old Shaper is definitely gone. It's niche has been expanded into the three new variants

Edited by sitnam

The question of who is getting cut is interesting as not just longstrike could be on the chopping block.

Aun'Va and Aun'Shi are both old models that both are well within lore reasons for being taken down. I have my own little narrative that would be fun to explore with Aun'Va "retiring" (because spoilers if you haven't read the half-blood prince: L dies!...wait...no wrong spoiler...Aun'Va is dead!)

I do feel like we have narrowed it down fairly well but I will agree however, Longstrike isn't the longshot here which is sad but he would follow the trend of removing tank commander characters from the game. Kind of sad because they were cool.

My hope are 
Tactical Drones
Sharper (then splitted in 2 variants)

Crisis Commander (because the box comes with 3 xv8 and is the mininum number of the unit

Last one Aun Shi or Sniper

16 minutes ago, VanDutch said:

Auspex is reporting £135 GBP.

Looks like a good boxset, but I’m really only after the codex. I guess I’ll be waiting a good month before that’s out on its own.

I had a quick brain shower session and think the units probably look like:
10 x Carnivores £30-40, I'd imagine nearer the top end

Characters average £21 these days

The rampagers seem close to the £40 squighogs, but minus the nob so maybe £35?

Krootox sitting at I imagine £25-30

So cheaper end £162 of minis, at the top end £192 + books etc.

45 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

The rampagers seem close to the £40 squighogs, but minus the nob so maybe £35?

The FEC Morbheg Knights are $60 USD vs 65 for the squig riders, so I the Krootox Rampages will be in the former price

Will be posting in the other announcement thread (if it's up), but Battlesuits are being split into three datasheets based on loadout now and it's implied that the basic XV8 Commander is gone. That means the actual count is currently 37 + 2 (3 Battlesuits - original) + 2 (3 shapers - original) + Lone Spear + Rampager - XV8 Commander = 42 datasheets for sure. Cuts and other consolidations will be interesting to see.

At $220 it's definitely temping, especially since I've always loved that Codex cover.

Just now, Mr. Oddity said:

Will be posting in the other announcement thread (if it's up), but Battlesuits are being split into three datasheets based on loadout now and it's implied that the basic XV8 Commander is gone. That means the actual count is currently 37 + 2 (3 Battlesuits - original) + 2 (3 shapers - original) + Lone Spear + Rampager - XV8 Commander = 42 datasheets for sure. Cuts and other consolidations will be interesting to see.

At $220 it's definitely temping, especially since I've always loved that Codex cover.

They've said the codex has 38 datasheets.

So:

Crisis Suits split into 3 and Crisis commander going to Legends (Since basic Crisis wasn't mentioned in the article we can assume it's been shelved for not having it's own kit)

Finecast Ethereals are probably also going, so that's 2 more sheets gone.

Shaper is being split into 2

Tactical Drones already seemed like index padding, so we can guess they'll be cut.

The 3 different Tidewall datasheets may be cut as well, since Fortifications seem to be disappearing game-wide.

In total, that's 8 datasheets cut and 9 datatsheets added, which would land us at the 38 datasheets GW said the Codex will have.

3 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Shaper is being split into 2

3 -> War shaper, Flesh shaper and Trailshaper ( actually I think you do have it in the calculations just not the wording ?)

Edited by TheMawr

1 hour ago, TheMawr said:

3 -> War shaper, Flesh shaper and Trailshaper ( actually I think you do have it in the calculations just not the wording ?)

My math is notoriously bad, so if the numbers don't add up, assume I made a mistake.

New article today about the design process that has a few more tidbits. The Trail Shaper is soft confirmed to be the replacement for the original, and the War Shaper discussion hints at another new Kroot reveal in the future. And while I didn't see anything else regarding rules, the breakdown of their design process and decision-making for the new range is honestly very informative and pretty cool. Would recommend giving it a read!