I think they're really cool.

The old kroothound model looked like a vaguely dog-shaped skinny weird rock with a Trapinch's mouth.
Now that looks more like an actual muscular dog ready to bite on your leg and maim you to death.

Hope the Kroot get other new models and maybe even their own codex (well a man's allowed to dream isn't he ?)

3 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Not sure if Longstrike is Resin or not but he's still in the Index and cycles in-and-out of availability on the webstore.

GW retired both Pask and Cronos. Not sure if Longstrike still in the codex.

30 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

GW retired both Pask and Cronos. Not sure if Longstrike still in the codex.

Pask was killed during the Fall of Cadia and hasn't been a thing for the last 2 editions.

No idea what's Chronos current Lore, but he always seemed like a character that didn't really do much if at all, just there in the Codex, so I'm not gonna cry his departure, I'm even glad that GW is trimming some SM characters, now if they could do the same with the Space Wolfs and Tycho...

Longstrike was in the last codex, so until proven otherwise we have no real reason to believe his going anywhere.

12 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

Pask was killed during the Fall of Cadia and hasn't been a thing for the last 2 editions.

No idea what's Chronos current Lore, but he always seemed like a character that didn't really do much if at all, just there in the Codex, so I'm not gonna cry his departure, I'm even glad that GW is trimming some SM characters, now if they could do the same with the Space Wolfs and Tycho...

Longstrike was in the last codex, so until proven otherwise we have no real reason to believe his going anywhere.

IG received their 9th codex very late, so Pask was available 100% time of 8th edition and more than 85% time of 9th edition. What's your definition of "hasn't been a thing"?

25 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

IG received their 9th codex very late, so Pask was available 100% time of 8th edition and more than 85% time of 9th edition. What's your definition of "hasn't been a thing"?

He was killed at the start of 8th and didn't receive rules in the 9th Codex and won't be getting in 10th, that is 2 editions he has already been out.

Except Pask had rule right up to the end of 9th? Thats exactly the point? Characters being alive is entirely irrelevant to them getting rules, there have been plenty of special characters over the years who were dead the whole time :D 

It does feel like they are clearing house on Tank commander special characters though, they can be a bit awkward mechanically apparently and at least one rules writer (albeit a while ago now) had an absolute hatred of them, especially the ones that could be in multiple different tanks chassis, we might well be seeing the fallout of decisions made a long while ago. 

While I do understand that as a pretty lore-thin Tank character, Longstrike is in danger of going away, I feel it'd be quite a kick in the teeth for T'au to have not gotten an actual new T'au unit since 7th and the first change to the T'au units they have is to lose a named character.

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

While I do understand that as a pretty lore-thin Tank character, Longstrike is in danger of going away, I feel it'd be quite a kick in the teeth for T'au to have not gotten an actual new T'au unit since 7th and the first change to the T'au units they have is to lose a named character.

Maybe I'm missing something:

Do you not consider Shadowsun to be a Tau unit? Because that was 8th.

Do you not consider Darkstrider to be a Tau unit? Because that was 9th. Pathfinders also got a glow-up via the Kill team sprue in 9th, which made Darkstrider a good fit.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

image.thumb.png.7745f4e7fa17a9bab515f26017d16d32.png

Not sure how I feel about these guys.

They're interesting, but they just feel a little too much like Kroot who ate Catachan Jungle Fighters, rather than Kroot who ate dogs.

As much as the sculpt has improved, they've really lost that mangy scavenger dog/hyena kinda look. (posing also makes a difference)

Even the Killteam Kroot hounds retained that, and I think strike a nice balance.

Overall, I don't hate them, but don't love them either.

image.thumb.png.7d99f2199074222e9e7a9f320c74b46e.pngimage.png.8f1d7f27dd77f093173caff9dfd04d32.png

7 hours ago, Orion said:

image.thumb.png.7745f4e7fa17a9bab515f26017d16d32.png

Not sure how I feel about these guys.

They're interesting, but they just feel a little too much like Kroot who ate Catachan Jungle Fighters, rather than Kroot who ate dogs.

As much as the sculpt has improved, they've really lost that mangy scavenger dog/hyena kinda look. (posing also makes a difference)

Even the Killteam Kroot hounds retained that, and I think strike a nice balance.

Overall, I don't hate them, but don't love them either.

I dont think it helps that you can see what look like the joins of plastic for the head/neck and the two halves of the body along the base of the quills 
I also am not sure about what looks likes vambraces on a 'dog'

I think the more gaunt style with longer limbs seemed more alien for me.  The new style seems more terrestrial in proportion.

2 hours ago, lhg033 said:

I dont think it helps that you can see what look like the joins of plastic for the head/neck and the two halves of the body along the base of the quills 
I also am not sure about what looks likes vambraces on a 'dog'

I think the more gaunt style with longer limbs seemed more alien for me.  The new style seems more terrestrial in proportion.

Agreed that the longer limbs are more fitting for an alien. Looks like they were really leaning into the "Kroot on all fours" thing with these guys. You can see the arm wraps and jewelry just like you would see on standard Carnivores.

Think some of the odd look may come down to the color scheme GW chose for these guys as well. Makes them look very smooth and soft, which is not what you really want with cannibal dog/chickens.

I do like the models, although the first thing that comes to mind are those "why is my Chihuahua so buff" pictures. :laugh:

On 2/6/2024 at 2:12 AM, ThePenitentOne said:

Maybe I'm missing something:

Do you not consider Shadowsun to be a Tau unit? Because that was 8th.

Do you not consider Darkstrider to be a Tau unit? Because that was 9th. Pathfinders also got a glow-up via the Kill team sprue in 9th, which made Darkstrider a good fit.

You're missing something.

All of those were rescuplts.

They were new models for existing units, not new units.

The only new unit the T'au faction received since then was the Kroot Farstalkers, who are obviously Kroot and not T'au.

Edited by Indy Techwisp
Mentioning the only actual new unit since the ghostkeel