Urban T’au in the snow!

The Pounder

As a new year has started it’s time for another project!

My son suggested that we theme our collection around the Eastern Fringe (we already have some Ultramarines and Nids)

so the only thing missing was some T’au!

The idea is to build 1250pts of each faction before we expand on them. So by the end we’ll have 3 full armies.

So this will be the start of the T’au, the intention is for the Cadre to be as mobile as possible plus loads of Auxiliaries.

Here’s the start, a Cadre Fireblade:

IMG_0465.jpeg.b1df91feaef71db809ab91f8232c99a1.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg.d066ac0b031ffae5581ddd7108f71a00.jpeg

IMG_0467.jpeg.f2b22d1ca4b513dabbe6866995865701.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg.d194ce2aa055b7bf15a905588aac50e1.jpeg

I think I’ll add some snow to the base but apart from that I think he’s (For the Greater) good to go!

Thanks for looking!

1 hour ago, Wormwoods said:

Glad I'm not the only one doing Tau in 2024! The grey and orange looks great. 

Definitely not the only one! I just finished building my Stormsurge :)

Great scheme @The Pounder. It’s awesome having a son that’s into WH40k as well. My son and I give each other lots of motivation and a built-in opponent …

Thanks @Wormwoods! Glad you’re on the T’au too! Maybe by posting pics we can motivate each other?

@TheArtilleryman. Thanks again! Yeah it’s great when I can get him off the dreaded Xbox! As it is I do all the modelling and painting he just rolls dice! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 8:37 PM, The Pounder said:

@Wormwoods, looking forward to seeing your work!

@MithrilForge, cheers! Good time to get them done!

@chapter master 454, because snow is awesome!?

Got a Piranha to work on next. Thanks for the interest!

Correct! , and what a nice complementary Colour to blue skinned T'AU  white snow is :thumbsup: It even Give's My beloved Vior'la scheme a reason for camo :tongue:

@The Pounder are you planning on adding the nice new Kroot?... 

Cheers, M   

Yeah, the camo would look cool with that scheme! Hmm, maybe I should introduce some camouflage somewhere?

As for Kroot, hell yeah! 

The draw to get me back into T’au was the idea of lots of Auxiliaries to go with the smooth lines of the Battlesuits and vehicles!

Hopefully we don’t have too long to wait for Vespid to get an update (love the idea but not the current sculpts)

Thanks for your comments! I’ll update as soon as my Piranha is finished.

I looked up the old posts of my T'AU work...it dates back to 2018 :blush:... then 2020! :sweat:... Damn I really should finish them, it's only a killteams worth ... Thanks Jud Pounder for inadvertently making me dig out some lost models and start to work on them... :laugh:.

Look forward to seeing the Piranha !! 

Cheers, M 

Cheers @MithrilForge!

Yeah, makes me feel old!! It’s definitely been a while.

Here’s the Piranha:

53565031556_86db423ffd_c.jpgT’au Empire Piranha 

53565348414_996f7a5a6b_c.jpgT’au Empire Piranha 

53565220043_bf94816282_c.jpgT’au Empire Piranha 

53565220053_feee3a11c1_c.jpgT’au Empire Piranha 

53565467465_a9a8b82c3d_c.jpgT’au Empire Piranha 

As you can see it’s not the neatest but I’m going to try and tidy up my painting with this project.

I feel working on T’au vehicles, suits etc will be the biggest challenge for me but I think the auxiliaries will be right in my comfort zone!

On another note, do you think I should do the base? Or would it be ok just to leave it transparent?

Thanks for looking and please give some feedback.

Great work as always!

On the base, I always base up my flyers, and as all my games are at home, pretty much, I do them to match up with my game boards, which are all brown and deserty. I do the textured sand etc prior to priming and wrap masking tape around the stems, which I remove when the model is finished.

If you’re not sure, maybe wait until you’ve done a few more models in the army and then see whether you like the plain look or not.

Looks Great !! 

Unfortunately T'AU vehicles require a fair bit of edge highlighting :sweat: as you said, you'll go back and tidy them up I find a good way to Cheat I mean make things easier is to weather and chip edges of vehicles with the sponge method, it helps hide where I go wonky on lines etc and makes em look battlefield deployed too :cool:.

Your Colours really suit an Urban theme too :thumbsup: 

As to the base... I like to glue rubble and texture to my flight stands as well (keeps the army very Cohesive) but as The Artilleryman says, leave it for a bit and see if you like the clear base hanging around, if you find after a bit that it irks you sitting next to all your other models then.... get to basing !!!

Here's one I did recently, I superglued bark and rocks on a base and then put texture paste on it (*note, I put blu-tac in the hole to keep it clear for later)

Eldar-armyBases1.thumb.jpg.5a25d9d9a80416bbc82c1ca4463c63a1.jpg 

What's up next on the greater Good assembly line??..  

Cheers, M 

Thank @TheArtilleryman! I think you’re right, I will add some texture and snow to the base. Would give me a larger area to try and nail down a scheme!

@MithrilForge, I’m going to think on the weathering, I used it loads on my Krieg not sure I wanted that look on my T’au.

Not sure what’s next, I have to paint up some Age of Sigmar Seraphon to sell but I’m hoping to raise enough for some Fire Warriors and a Tank or 2!

Also hoping the Kroot stuff isn’t too far off!

Thanks for the interest and advice!

I would wait till the New Codex drops though and see what units are good etc and see how your playstyle preference fits with the new rules...

Although in saying that ,Since I don't do tournaments anymore and just play with friends, I like to play units I like the look of and want to paint rather than what's the best unit!! :laugh:

You cant go wrong with T'AU tanks though :thumbsup: one day I'd love to get a Storm Surge...  such an epic awesome Model!! :wub: 

Cheers, M

Good advice!

I too can’t wait to get a Stormsurge! Beautiful piece of kit!

I really love the look of the Skyray so that’s definitely on the cards. Probably a unit of Fire Warriors next too.

Like you said better to see how things shape up in the new Codex.

Hopefully not too much longer!

*  After seeing the leaks on Crisis suits... it may be very wise to sit back and see what units get what now.... I would Hazard a guess that Infantry and devilfish etc will stay relatively the same. ( I feel bad for all those chaps that glued their CIB's and Frag projectile launchers in 3's onto suits....) I think I'm lucky in the sense I will be getting new suits with this edition , still, magnets or some form of attaching / detaching method would be wise :sweat:

Done any of your bases yet ?... 

Cheers, M  

Thanks for the heads up @MithrilForge

Thankfully I haven’t bought/built any Crisis Suits yet! 

I haven’t sorted any bases yet either.

I’m thinking of using some wet ground paste to go with the snow and ruins. Should give a thawing look to the bases.

I really need to play about with it!

I’m still fund raising atm but might be able to squeeze in a model or two soon!

You need to learn the way of the patient modeller :tongue:. Congrats on getting the box (and that nice looking Codex ) 

you can eventually tell us why they didn’t show the Vespid page in the Codex  leaks ?!?.. :thumbsup:

Cheers, M 

Thanks @terminator ultra! I’ve got a long way to go with this project before I can call it an army!!

@Pearson73, thanks very much, that’s exactly what I was aiming for!

I’ve been thinking a lot about what I’d like to do with this force. 

At the moment I’m thinking of leaning heavily into Kroot (would be rude not to considering I just bought the release box!)

Sadly there wasn’t a centrepiece model for the new Kroot range so I reckon I’d be well served by throwing in a lot of T’au antitank stuff to give the force some teeth at range.

Personally, I love the Skyray, Hammerhead and Broadside kits so probably will start there.

Won’t know for certain how to go about that until I get my paws on the Codex.

Not too much longer to wait!