Tyriks' Titan

I sold off a ton of old models on ebay recently (with more to sell soon). Like any rational adult, I decided to use some of that money to buy a titan. Ended up getting a Revenant because I wasn't sure if the Phantom was too much for me. I've barely started working on it but it's already been a lot of work so I want to keep track of it.

To start with, I wanted it standing victoriously over something. I have some vehicles I printed for marines, which is an army I've given up on. Since I don't want to sell models I printed using someone else's designs, I decided to chop up one for the Revenant to be standing on. I wanted to cut this along the red line.

20240219_1422053.thumb.jpg.718352fd16eabbddb2c48bf5f9f521c8.jpg

Cutting this ended up being harder than I expected. I wanted to clamp it and use a power saw, but I couldn't do that safely so I tried a handsaw which took forever so I gave up. I ended up just pressing it into an orbital sander at an angle. That worked much better (though I ruined 2 sheets of sandpaper, which I'm 100% fine with).

20240219_1927532.thumb.jpg.377103020c04796840afe40977c5dda8.jpg

The front rail thing broke off when I was sawing it but I can either reattach it or have it in the dirt nearby, whatever I think works better.

I built this foot on the top of the wreck (though it isnt glued on yet) so that the heel and toe would fit better on the uneven surface, but I honestly don't think that mattered at all. I only used super glue (not epoxy) due to the small size of the connector bits so I hope that holds. But to be honest this whole model doesn't weigh that much so I think it should be fine.

20240219_225508.thumb.jpg.60cd1139ba277238d9c8b2ea9f09619a.jpg

This is where I left off last night. I pinned the shin to the foot with 1/8" brass rod which is probably overkill but that seems fine. Very glad I got a nice pen drill last year, I hate drilling resin by hand! I'm hoping to build the other leg (to stand flat on the ground beside the wreck) tonight, if I have time.

I will definitely need to make some battle damage, either cracks under the foot or some kind of blast damage.

My pose wont work as intended, trying to figure out how to modify it. It just looked super casual the way I had it before, not at all like it is in the middle of a fight. I might use just a tiny drop of super glue to glue the legs together to see how a pose looks (but easily broken apart) because posing it with putty is not working! My Seraptek (the first FW model I built) turned out kind of bland because I made mistakes in the posing I want to avoid this time around.

So I ended up not liking how the pose was shaping up. The height of the wreck made it look like someone just standing around bored. So currently I'm thinking about reposing to be mid-stride, as below.

20240220_220325.thumb.jpg.f394af6041bae18dcaba9beb2ed262c2.jpg

If I go this route, it would either be pushing off the wreck with the back foot, or just walking over it, but I plan to keep the wreck still.

Didn't have much time over the weekend but I worked on this a bit yesterday. I put the leg together how I wanted it, then took the thigh piece off and drilled through the knee and shin at the same time. Then I put the thigh back on, took the shin off and drilled through the same hole into the thigh. I still somehow got it slightly off, but its close enough. It isn't glued together yet. I won't have much time until Friday probably but I'm hoping to do the other leg then.

20240226_183904.thumb.jpg.8015e58ef8201ffde41546b104a57054.jpg

20240226_183901.thumb.jpg.4c9f8c063610d143378236d03072bcb5.jpg

I still haven't settled on a base either. I think I'm going to assemble the legs and hips and measure how long it needs to be. I left the pin going into the foot extra long so it can go about 3/4" into the base when I get to that.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow. I haven't had much hobby timrle, and I had some trouble with my original epoxy choice (JB Clearweld) not bonding for some reason. I had wanted QuickWeld but the hardware store in my neighborhood had been out, and I ended up just going elsewhere and getting QuickWeld. That has helped a lot.

Then I had problems posing and aligning and everything but I think I'm back on track and through the hard parts.

20240315_131655.thumb.jpg.728c345a2e3cf4e16673fe3e082b0b37.jpg

20240315_1316442.thumb.jpg.4bbb8abc17cd04c20f6c96799068bba1.jpg

This is where I'm at now. The hips aren't glued yet, so the exact angle of the raised leg is somewhat fluid, but I got a pin through the waist without somehow angling it in a way that makes it look stupid, so that's a win for me!

I will say, this has had a lot of challenges I wasn't really expecting. I knew it would be tough to get a result I was really happy with but it feels like every step has had some weird hurdle so far. I'm honestly surprised my Seraptek doesn't look atrocious. That was my first Forge World resin model, and I've never been super thrilled with how I built it but now I'm realizing I did a great job considering it hasn't just fallen apart or anything yet.