One of the coolest things about the current edition of Warhammer 40,000 is that every unit gets its own special ability.

This one almost made me spit my drink. In an edition marketed around simplifying and cutting down on bloat, one of the coolest things is how every single unit now has to have a special rule crowbarred in, just for the sake of it. Sure it is, GW.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Oddity said:

I'm going to guess either infantry focused with emphasis on devilfish, or potentially something more stealth-based with movement shenanigans and targeting restrictions for the final detachment. Both feel thematic and equally plausible.

Either of those would be cool in my mind.

Always wanted a Pathfinder/Stealth Heavy mech force (considering you HAD to take a Devilfish with Pathfinders in the first T'au Codex).

3 hours ago, jaxom said:

So, Kroot detachment seems a given due to the army box. Then there's the Retaliation Cadre (battlesuits) and Kauyon. I imagine Mont'ka is a given. That's four and there's probably going to a fifth. What do you all think it will be, or have there been any rumors?

I think we get 6 detachments on average?

So with Kauyon, Retaliation Cadre, the "Kroot Detachment" and the near garunteed Mont'ka, that's 4 out of the 6.

My guess is that the "Kroot" Detachment will also double as the Infantry focused Detachment for the T'au codex (probably that detachment will grant T'au Auxillaries "For the Greater Good" as well), with Strats and Enhancements that either support or directly buff the T'au themselves (and maybe put some AP back on those Pulse guns?).

I know it's a meme, but Mont'ka just being inverse Kauyon with different strats and enhancements is an interesting idea IMO. More of a focus on rushing the enemy down, some strats limited to round 1, 2 and 3, an enhancement which let's you carry Mont'ka into round 4, etc.

I could also see a "Fish of Fury" style list which focuses on and buffs not only on Devilfish (and their cargo) but also on the other T'au vehicles. Hammerheads, Skyrays, Piranhas, probably also Tetras and the fliers as well. Basically a vehicle centric detachment that excludes the Battlesuit keyword.

Finally, the return of the Optimised Stealth Cadre. Makes Pathfinders and/or Stealth Suits gain battleline, buffs to units with stealth and infiltrate, Wall of Mirrors making a comeback, Devilfish with embarked Pathfinders sharing the Infiltrate from their Recon Drone, etc. Please GW let us spawn the entire army in No Man's Land.

43 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Finally, the return of the Optimised Stealth Cadre. Makes Pathfinders and/or Stealth Suits gain battleline

Have GW given any Detachments rules that modify which units count as Battleline? I thought they had abandoned that kind of mechanic.

Just now, Karhedron said:

Have GW given any Detachments rules that modify which units count as Battleline? I thought they had abandoned that kind of mechanic.

Outriders in the new DA detachment.

Temepstus Scions can get battleline, but it isn't on a detachment it's on the command squad if it's your warlord. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Oddity said:

I'm going to guess either infantry focused with emphasis on devilfish, or potentially something more stealth-based with movement shenanigans and targeting restrictions for the final detachment. Both feel thematic and equally plausible.

I would like that, would really help with the stealth-themed Tau army I started this year. 

Just... Just give me a generic pathfinder character. Please, I'm begging here.

Farsight one should be an Auto include...

I would love to see a Stealth /Pathfinder focused Detachment (Pathfinders are the Coolest looking T'AU troop model IMHO ), Fish of Fury would also be great...

Blue Fingers Crossed ...how many Fingers do T'AU have again?  :laugh: 

M. 

13 minutes ago, Wormwoods said:

That's the battlesuit one, right? From the WarCon article. All about getting in close with battlesuits, seems Farsight-coded even if it's not called that by name.

Every stratagem they've shown off for it is named after one of the Eight as well.
It's definitely the FSE Detachment (alongside the near-guaranteed Mont'ka detachment, since Mont'ka is Farsight's thing.)

In a related, but unconfirmed note, does anyone reckon Farsight will get some datasheet changes to represent the stuff he gained in Arks of Omen which wasn't represented on his Index datasheet?

7 hours ago, andes said:

Fish of Fury does seem like a possibility. Rapid deployment of Breachers, that kind'a thing.

I'd love to see an encouragement of more mechanised Tau. 
(Making FW carbines a choice would be nice too)

I don't think Crisis will ever need too much encouragement. 

Glad they're trying to cut down on spamming the "good weapon", but making them 3 datasheets seems like it'll age poorly.

What about having an added points cost for difference weapons, then balance them through points? That would be an interesting thing GW could experiment with.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, Orion said:

I'd love to see an encouragement of more mechanised Tau. 
(Making FW carbines a choice would be nice too)

I don't think Crisis will ever need too much encouragement. 

Glad they're trying to cut down on spamming the "good weapon", but making them 3 datasheets seems like it'll age poorly.

What about having an added points cost for difference weapons, then balance them through points? That would be an interesting thing GW could experiment with.

Be careful though - talking about the current edition’s deficiencies may get your post deleted, even though other people’s posts with random anime videos (clearly not hobby related) or about the hypocrisy of GW’s comments regarding the “features” of the new edition may get to stay in the thread, even if you post is on topic about the concept in question in the thread and in response to a question posed by a fellow Frater…

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Going to put down what was my assumed set of 5 detachments (anything beyond would of been a bonus)
Kauyon, Mont'Ka, Far'Sight Enclave, Auxiliary, Battlesuit based

Now as with this reveal, this puts my assumption down to only 4, as the FSE one is merged with the battlesuit based boost. I could see some possible "experimental" detachment for tau that maybe affects a select number of units and offers them improved weapons but all weapons gain hazardous (these would be for Riptides, Stormsurges, Ghostkeels...and if I can get wishlisty...the R'Varna and Y'Vahra). Giving us a big suit detachment however is maybe a stretch and maybe prototype weapons get done differently.

I would suspect that the Fish of Fury style of battle will be made at home within the Mont'Ka detachment as it aligns with that ethos nicely.

The question remains what would the 5th one be...considering that within our last codex we had the septs of: Tau, Sa'Cea, Bork'An, Vior'la, Dal'Yth and Farsight Enclave this might point us to where they may go. Naturally, Vior'La gets replaced with Mont'Ka; fits their aggressive nature (and their buff prior was assault weapon based). Tau I want to say is actually Kauyon, this would sit with their style of warfare best, often preferring to receive an enemy than engage them head-on. FSE is spoken for as is Dal'Yth (the auxilary based one, that was their gimmick). This leaves the City Fighters of Sa'Cea and the Prototype testing Bork'An. Considering Battlesuits are now spoken for on the whole, this does mean Bork'An is unlikely to be battlesuit based again though may return in a new guise (their gimmick was improving weapon range. Maybe all weapons gain rapid fire? All weapons with rapid fire already always count as in half range?). Sa'Cea is a little difficult...they were actually the source of the Artisan buff (re-roll an X die for each unit each time they attacked)...not sure...almost feels like maybe that would actually be a Bork'An boost...ok sorry...I just like Bork'An ok...they make big guns better!

With high chance of Longstrike being cut, I doubt we'll see anything for Tau Tanks alone. What else is left really? I don't feel like an "Infantry only" detachment works with tau...and considering the Kroot one may already be an infantry focus detachment, would step on toes design wise.

Interested in seeing what else there is.

Against the grain for some in here, I am actually excited for this codex. However as a list builder kind of person...finding sauce is fun, especially when it isn't outright obvious...made prior codices not as fun to dig into...too easily solved.

If possible, can we avoid trying to bait the Mods into locking the thread again?

Regardless, we could be seeing another preview article today as we got one on both Monday and Tuesday so far.

Any speculation about what they could show off this time?

Personally I'm expecting them to show off the Enhancements from a new Detachment, since we didn't see any from the FSE/Battlesuit Detachment.

Guest Triszin

My guess on detachments

Known

1. Greater good (index)

2. Battle suits (warcom preview)

3. Kroot (warcom tease - but confirmed)

Guess:

4. Farsight ( no ethereal, focus on aggressive infantry )

5. Sneaky (stealth suits + pathfinders)

6. big guns (vehicles + heavy suits)

I really hope Kroot are actually a part of the Codex. I know they're getting new units and such, but like, making sure they're not just an added "and there's also Kroot, but they have no rules support/buff meshing with the rest of the Tau" which is what they were in 8/9th. Preferably more than just one Detachment to make them worthwhile, actual integration into the faction, like how the Tau Empire is supposed to use its auxiliaries instead of just tossing them to the side.

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

If possible, can we avoid trying to bait the Mods into locking the thread again?

Nobody is trying to bait anyone. Although the enforcement in this thread does seem to be a lot more random than usual, so maybe someone does feel like they are being baited or is taking personal exception to some of the comments.

In any case - for those who enjoy this current design, I hope you continue having fun! Criticism of Games Workshop should never be taken as criticism of you or the things you enjoy doing.

5 minutes ago, Kallas said:

I really hope Kroot are actually a part of the Codex. I know they're getting new units and such, but like, making sure they're not just an added "and there's also Kroot, but they have no rules support/buff meshing with the rest of the Tau" which is what they were in 8/9th. Preferably more than just one Detachment to make them worthwhile, actual integration into the faction, like how the Tau Empire is supposed to use its auxiliaries instead of just tossing them to the side.

Since the new Kroot boxes seem to have new special weapons as such, it'd make sense if Kroot gained FTGG with the update.

Likewise, in yesterday's article they said there's parts for your Kroot unit leader to have a T'au Headset and T'au pauldron, so that integration probably is being taken into account.

Guest Triszin
5 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Since the new Kroot boxes seem to have new special weapons as such, it'd make sense if Kroot gained FTGG with the update.

Likewise, in yesterday's article they said there's parts for your Kroot unit leader to have a T'au Headset and T'au pauldron, so that integration probably is being taken into account.

I do hope all auxiliaries get ftgg. Weird they don't already

9 minutes ago, Triszin said:

I do hope all auxiliaries get ftgg. Weird they don't already

It likely depends on how GW is viewing the auxiliaries’ integration into the whole of the Tau combat structure - if they justify it with something like a “join in the battle, but don’t fight as a cohesive whole”, it would make sense for them not to get the rule.  On the other hand, if the idea is that auxiliaries (at least leaders) are fully kitted out (as it sounds like the Kroot might be) to integrate into the battle structure and are cooperative, then that should be an easy include on the rule.

Guest Triszin

From the WH+ battle report:

Reveal hidden contents

image-187.png.5bbd1c9ff6ce75dae6c29559719d7f1d.png

image-175.png.aba7b3a192eb820b64cc6ba7d5b973b0.pngimage-146.png.2959312247f8a97940bc0303f3f81818.pngimage-141.png.72d33ebebe953f97bff00481a69709fb.pngimage-179.png.6dfd3b03a5477f589cac7e2deee90545.png

image-88.png.b23d964f4345698f5f06d85a52029451.pngimage-74.thumb.png.7603f037195fadadc8bbad5cd78de989.pngimage-92.thumb.png.67600fb905faa78674f97660d097494c.png

All the Kroot units seemed to have a Scout move,

Karnivores have Stealth

Kroot noises intensifies

Edited by Triszin

A Reddit user (EDIT: and another) also logged the weapon stats and abilities for some of the new units:

• Warshaper - once per battle remove Battleshock for a unit within 12", ranged Ad3 S? Ap? D? with Blast and Anti-Infantry 3+, melee (for ranged build) 2+ A4 S5 Ap1 D1
  • Carnivores - Tanglebomb Launcher is Ad3 S5 Ap0 D1 with Blast
  • Krootox Rider - T6 6+, reactive shoot similar to Invictor, Cannon is A4 A2 S7 Ap1 D2 with Rapid Fire 2, melee is 3+ A4 S6 Ap1 D2 + rider (assumed 4 0 1)
  • Krootox Rampager - T6 6+, melee is 3+ A4 S6 Ap1 D2 with Sustained 1 + rider (3+ A3 S4 Ap1 D1) and lance

There was also a 2CP return a unit stratagem according to the first source.

Edited by Mr. Oddity
Clarifying source