Legions Imperialis Shadowswords, Stormswords & Stormblades

Scanning is being stomped hard one Websites that sell .stl files so right now its more a commissioned group buy thing one telegram which is frowned upon in the normal creator circles. Resulting in rather low visibility compared to handmade files 

And its riding HIGH on old stuff being "redone"

Edited by armarnis

7 hours ago, The Unseen said:

Is it really stealing if it isn't for sale?

To quote the Lord Gaben, Piracy isn't a pricing issue, it's a service issue, a lot of the time.

Yes. Designers also work and deserve not to have their work stolen.

Gaben said that in lieu of how to best counter piracy, not as a "piracy is fine" argument. 

Just ask the large amount of .stl designers who get very upset when their designs get copied/slightly altered and put up for cheaper/free (Ironically).

It becomes a problem when you basically need to 3D print the models to play the game because the company isn’t releasing enough product or has yet to release models to be able to play it properly. As I mentioned previously, The Great Slaughter introduced 4 new formations (2 for each faction) and neither are currently playable because they haven’t released a single model for them. That should have been something that dropped Day One, but here we are. 

I'm usually against printed models, but I honestly don’t blame people in this case. If you want to play a Vanguard or Drop Pod list, you have no choice but to print out the required units or wait until god only knows when for GW to get around to releasing them. The fact that they just got around to releasing the Support box just a couple weeks ago is discouraging, seeing as all of those options are in the BRB and should have hit the shelves back in December at game launch. 

100% agree DuskRaider. Something like the Astartes infantry box has been out of stock in the UK for several months (I have been checking every week)- and these are the most basic force composition set you can get, the game after all is actually named 'Legions..'

And it's not reasonable to expect people to pay £100+ for the starter set each time.

Am already seeing a pretty drastic reduction in traffic on social media, in forums etc. if people can't buy stuff, they can't paint and play, the game will wither on the vine. People really into Epic will print or get proxies, but there will be a far higher percentage who will just give up waiting and stop playing. GW need to get their stocking of at least the basic units sorted out.

Edited by Pacific81

I still believe they've had some major mishap happen with the initial launch box units. Combined with the usual lack of proper communication resulting in the current situation. Hopefully they'll get their act together sometime this year. Though social media metrics aren't the end all be all indicators of the game's health. Local FLGS owners I talk to still indicate it's a relatively big seller for them and stock flies off the shelves if they can get it. 

I know I am getting pretty depressed about LI.  My FLGS still can’t get stuff from he initial launch, much less anything from TGS.  I’ve built everything I can, but due to the weather I can’t get it primed and painted.  (And what I have been painting is not turning out well, very disappointing.)

I am almost ready to just cancel the several hundred dollars worth of stuff I have on order.  I was so looking forward to new Epic since I missed the original.

Visiting the in laws and popped into their two local stockists to see loads of SA boxes but no marines bar some Spartans.

No core box either actually!

Yes my local store has 50+ Spartans in stock, so I guess you could just go mental with those! :biggrin:

@vadersson - don't get disheartened with the painting stuff, I would say my own abilities are middling but there are some cheat tips that I find can help. Or some of the other very talented guys here @Sherrypie @Crablezworth amongst others can advise if you post down in the Legions section?

53 minutes ago, vadersson said:

I know I am getting pretty depressed about LI.  My FLGS still can’t get stuff from he initial launch, much less anything from TGS.  I’ve built everything I can, but due to the weather I can’t get it primed and painted.  (And what I have been painting is not turning out well, very disappointing.)

I am almost ready to just cancel the several hundred dollars worth of stuff I have on order.  I was so looking forward to new Epic since I missed the original.

What Legion are you painting?

8 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

Yes. Designers also work and deserve not to have their work stolen.

Gaben said that in lieu of how to best counter piracy, not as a "piracy is fine" argument. 

Just ask the large amount of .stl designers who get very upset when their designs get copied/slightly altered and put up for cheaper/free (Ironically).

While I agree that designers should be paid for their work, of course.

But for some GW products specifically, no local store carries it. (Legiones Imperialis, HH resin stuff, etc), and it's been out of stock online and will continue to be so for an indefinite period. So as an example, my options right now for LI is to not play, because I can't buy the models from the company supposedly selling them, or 3d print an army. Neither choice gives GW any money, and if I wait ~year for them to be available again there is 0 guarantee I'll still be interested in them.

Just for the record, I'm not printing a LI army, I'm just laying out the facts that if I wanted to play, I am physically incapable of paying for it.

Hence the service issue. 

Well, when GW has repeatedly pushed for not allowing any 3rd party or alternative miniatures to play their game, they kind of made their bed in that regard as well.

If I can't use models that don't pass as GWs to play their game in a bunch of stores or official tournaments, if I've already made the decision to 3d print stuff now I'm definitely going to 3d print copies rather than alternative designs.

And imo, I'd rather people "steal" the designs, print their armies, and keep the game alive rather than let it die while GW dicks around with release schedules.

Edited by The Unseen

Is it stealing when the vast majority of stl files in the wild were around before LI even existed? 

Is GW trying to pull the dead horse back into the stable?

Because they have allowed those stls to exist for years without challenge they will really struggle in court. 

Print away I say! Personal use is fine, GW's lack of action makes it so.

I won't print in the main, I don't have easy access to a printer and I have more money than hobby time so will wait months if needed. 

I may get some TDA as the sprues have a terrible mix for my needs, and terrain of course. But not vehicles etc...

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Yes I think the situation is very different for Legions than for 40k. There was already an Epic 30k community of players using rules and miniatures many years before GW even decided to re-visit the format - people used classic minis, proxies, 3d prints and even some forumware casting was around for a time.

But it was a fairly small community (and cottage industry that supported it with minis) and absolutely not the nest-egg that is 40k, so perhaps not large enough for GW to bother going after perhaps?

I think it will still be about (and people still playing the various previous versions of Epic) - we were here before Legions came along, we will be here still after it has gone :)

Tonight, when I was asleep I got the mail notification, that the Macro Gatling Blaster for the Warlord is back in stock. This morning, after reading the mail, I wanted to buy the weapon immediatly,  I waited for months for this. But no, out of stock again. So, print everything. Punish them. No mercy for the incompentence.

:furious:

4 hours ago, Lord_Valorion said:

Tonight, when I was asleep I got the mail notification, that the Macro Gatling Blaster for the Warlord is back in stock. This morning, after reading the mail, I wanted to buy the weapon immediatly,  I waited for months for this. But no, out of stock again. So, print everything. Punish them. No mercy for the incompentence.

:furious:

Take a look at Battle Bling, they have really nice proxies for the Gatling weaponry along with basically any other weapon type. 

Wondering about the viability of a Titan hunting force company. Pair these with Valdors in an Armored Company, for the Shock Pulse to suppress Titans and strip shields down. But, Valdors only have a 20 inch firing range, and Shadowswords only have Engine Killer 2. What that means is you're having to get in pretty uncomfortably close, and you'll need a good few Swords to throw down something like a Warlord in a turn. Then again, not much can outrange a Titan but it's a thing to overcome, and any smaller machines will nigh on evaporate. Would be playable, could be quite fun.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, vadersson said:

The three basic foundations of the hobby (building, painting & playing) is for dinosaurs and not good enough for the modern, wider audience. "Kool Kidz" nowadays want also the same fun when they were hunting scarce pokemon mongrels with their smartphones. Gee-Dubbs realized that and made minis rare as unicorns with the added benefit of not running the risk of walking into traffic while on the prowl.

I finally figured our how to get GW to ship stuff to my FLGS.  Cancel your order.

I finally have given up on LI, called the FLGS to cancel my orders of LI stuff and they tell me they finally have shipped confirmation for some stuff and it will be here this week.  (Still not sure I believe it.)  Since they ordered it for me, I will still buy it, but then I am done.  I wasted too much money already on a game that is not getting any products.  I really love the idea of finally playing epic, but between the lack of product supply and frankly the cost of the game, I am out.  Sigh.

Not sure if I am going to try and sell what I have or just keep it and hope to jump back in if the game survives.  I guess we will see.

So long and thanks for all the tanks,

Duncan

On 3/16/2024 at 6:05 PM, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

The three basic foundations of the hobby (building, painting & playing) is for dinosaurs and not good enough for the modern, wider audience. "Kool Kidz" nowadays want also the same fun when they were hunting scarce pokemon mongrels with their smartphones. Gee-Dubbs realized that and made minis rare as unicorns with the added benefit of not running the risk of walking into traffic while on the prowl.

Meh, it's just supply and demand issues that are plaguing pretty much every consumer good. 

On a sidenote. It is weird to me to see these kinds of comments, I have several FLGS/online shops who still have plenty of stock. Sucks if your area isn't getting the supply it needs but at least in my region it's doing okay? Weird that there's such a discrepancy between stores/regions.

I think the issue with the stocking level is that some of the 'core' elements of the game have been out of stock. So my local FLGS had 50+ Spartan boxes, but I haven't been able to get the Legion infantry boxset since Christmas - actually just picked one up as they came back into stock at GW a few days ago. I have heard the same issue was affecting Solar players with Leman Russes.

I know it's unrealistic to expect abundant stock levels of everything all of the time, but you've got to sort the basics - the game is called Legions, I should be able to get Legions infantry! :) I don't think a single game I've played of Legions hasn't involved some proxy or printed minis (and this isn't the usual 'kim.dot.com' guy who walks around the store in sunglasses and with his bag of printed minis, this is 40+yr old family blokes who would normally only buy official boxes). The stock just hasn't been available for them to do so.

@vadersson very sorry to hear you are calling it a day. It might be worth leaving it a little while rather than selling everything - who knows in a year's time, Legion infantry boxes will be plentiful! There is also a pretty sizeable epic community playing previous versions of the game (inc. 30k focus). If you let us know what you are interested in might be able to help you out..