More 40k models removed from Webstore

Go to solution Solved by Indy Techwisp,

That custom Wraithknight is a bit of a blow. To be honest if I were to buy either of those it would be the gigantic Warp Spider one because of rule of cool, but that one's temporarily out of stock too, so it might not be far off the chopping block. Never knowing when GW will suddenly withdraw models from sale, particularly Forge World models that it's harder to justify buying on a whim is really irritating. I panic-bought a Mega Dread only to find it's still in stock years later, but the seemingly less niche Chaplain Dread that I didn't buy in time is long gone.

I know the writing is on the wall for most Forge World resin kits but some advance notice before they sell out would be nice.

That absolute culling of AoS ranges was pretty savage too. I feel sorry for the collectors of those armies even if smelly goat men and streaking orcs aren't my thing.

6 hours ago, Wispy said:

Alternative rulesets to have fun with your friends with like... Legends? :cool:

If using legends is viable, why do non-legends need a Codex or equivalent? Why not use that method for everything?

Quite seldom, but there are a few examples about GW retire relatively modern 40K plastic models(BA terminator capatain and DW capatain with a green blade). 

10 hours ago, Wispy said:

People panicking about Zacharia but he's probably moving to a bundle like how Haldor Icepelt has spent basically his entire existence.

Currently Haldor is only available in Space Wolves Combat Patrol.

I personally thought that moving Zachariah's kit to a new DA Combat Patrol would have been a good idea, but its not the option that GW took. What other sort of ("permanent") bundle is there?

With all the new kits it's pretty easy to build a thematic  Dark Angels lieutenant at this point, robes and all.

Buying an extra box of Inner Circle companions to make a couple characters to with sounds like something I'd do if I collected Dark Angels.

I guess GW is a business after all and if a model doesn’t move off the shelves I’d have to say why keep it ?!?… 

Admittedly in years past said models would’ve probably not been removed so soon (GW’s present way of being is a bit more money based rather than customer based ) without derailing the thread I do understand the removal of first Gen sigmarines from AoS (I honestly thought they were a really average design and won’t miss them at all ) 

2 hours ago, MithrilForge said:

I guess GW is a business after all and if a model doesn’t move off the shelves I’d have to say why keep it ?!?… 

Admittedly in years past said models would’ve probably not been removed so soon (GW’s present way of being is a bit more money based rather than customer based ) without derailing the thread I do understand the removal of first Gen sigmarines from AoS (I honestly thought they were a really average design and won’t miss them at all ) 

May I ask, in gaming/hobby industry, which modern capitalism commercial company is customer based?

Edited by Tokugawa

12 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

May I ask, in gaming/hobby industry, which modern capitalism commercial company is customer based?

i think its more an atitude thing than a quantifiable thing for example wyrd minis seem to want to make fun weird minis that fit their vision and that customers like vs GW who have to min/max their business for shareholders

11 minutes ago, sarabando said:

i think its more an atitude thing than a quantifiable thing for example wyrd minis seem to want to make fun weird minis that fit their vision and that customers like vs GW who have to min/max their business for shareholders

GW has been putting in a ton of effort these last few years bringing back stuff people have wanted and expanding on other aspects. I don't think you get stuff like Arbites, Traitor Guard, or Kroot without appealing to some of the customer base

GW makes a lot of cool thematic and weird minis and the downside of that is there is only so much shelf/manufacuter/warehouse resources, only so many pages to a codex/battletome, only so much time in the day for designers to maintain rules. Mechanicum and Custodes armies were pipe dreams, Squats coming back was basically an April fools jokes for two decades. People lived in fear of Sister and Templars getting 'squatted.'

so to continue to make cool stuff, some stuff has to go on cooldown and get rotated out. 

Edited by Wispy

On 4/6/2024 at 2:15 PM, LSM said:

I personally thought that moving Zachariah's kit to a new DA Combat Patrol would have been a good idea, but its not the option that GW took. What other sort of ("permanent") bundle is there?

There is the old Firstborn Librarian in Terminator armour that you can now only get by buying the 'Combat Patrol: Grey Knights' box.

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

You've raised an interesting point... is GW a gaming company or decorative, collectors company?

Personally I believe they're trying to do both simultaneously. Ooo I'm going to start another thread as this has potential discussion.

They've stated emphatically that they're a miniatures company.  The game is side dressing.

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

They've stated emphatically that they're a miniatures company.  The game is side dressing.

That doesn't answer the question though. Miniatures for gaming, or miniatures for collecting? Both then, but are the 2 things contradicting.

They're definitely a miniatures company, but are they selling to collector's or gamers etc?

The Amicus thread I set up goes into this in more depth.

I know before GW said they were a “miniatures” company but that was a while ago. They’re much more now. They’re an IP, now, they sell their brand and all that it includes, from candles to plush toys.

I think it’s gone far beyond just miniatures, even though the movement of plastic is likely a huge part of their income.

Without supporting games though I’m not sure they’d do as much. 

I actually think Warhammer has outgrown Games Workshop. As a company they've failed to fully utilise their IP, they've failed to maintain balanced game systems, and now they can't even produce miniatures to keep up with demand or their own designers. The one thing they dedicated themselves to at the expense of everything else, producing and selling miniatures, is now something they're failing at. There needs to be a huge shift at the top of the company.

It will me er not be funny to me they released the awesome Blooded kill team and then never tried to capitalize on dark tide with a lost and the damned list and kits. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cultists and blooded get the axe for another dinosaur. 

38 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

It will me er not be funny to me they released the awesome Blooded kill team and then never tried to capitalize on dark tide with a lost and the damned list and kits. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cultists and blooded get the axe for another dinosaur. 

GW has their pride and don't want video games studio "command" them? GW didn't make any Blood Raven products when DoW was at its prime popularity.