Adeptus Custodes Officially Include Women

8 minutes ago, LemartestheLost said:

it won’t stop until 40k is just Star Trek washed with Earthshade

There's certainly a lot of people apparently unable to understand that 40k is not supposed to be aspirational. You should not want to be a custodes, a marine, or any other of our favourite entertaining monsters, even if we can root for them in their struggle to survive. It's an dystopian horror setting. It's like wanting to be a Party member in the 1984 novel.

Edited by lansalt

It's fine, at least for me. Many are rabid, quite literally, today with this. It's a nonsense. They need to grow up and remember, or learn or realise,that's a game owned by a private company and, most specially, the times changes.

Relax, enjoy and let enjoy.

13 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

If they get models hopefully they’ll look better than Shield- Captain Squat.

Indeed...

Edited by Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf

5 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

And it literally changes none of that.

Yes it does, I can only imagine that you've only read the shallow codexes and not actually the 30k and 40k book where they appear, specially The Carrion Throne.

6 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

I haven’t got the foggiest idea why you feel there’s an issue about having children?

Because there's a theme in the lore of transhumans being gender segregated so they don't become a new strand of humanity. This is (or was) deliberate to keep the medieval themes of those orders being dedicated to God/The Emperor first and foremost. And it was subverted on purpose in the Fabious File series.

If I had any (40k) Sisters of Silence models I'd be looking at them nervously now. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a permanent date with the Beasts of Chaos and Savage Orcs eventually, particularly when they've still not received a dedicated HQ model... or maybe I'm just too cynical. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

15 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Yes it does, I can only imagine that you've only read the shallow codexes and not actually the 30k and 40k book where they appear, specially The Carrion Throne.

Because there's a theme in the lore of transhumans being gender segregated so they don't become a new strand of humanity. This is (or was) deliberate to keep the medieval themes of those orders being dedicated to God/The Emperor first and foremost. And it was subverted on purpose in the Fabious File series.

I’ve read every novel featuring the Custodes and Sisters of Silence. I have a collection of 200 Sisters, I’m something of a fan.

And again: Custodes are built cell by cell, crafted to be the most loyal protectors of the Emperor. They are engineered far beyond baseline humans and have the sole desire to protect their Master. They’ll exile themselves if their reactions drop by a second. They spend decades or more standing guard.

In short, they aren’t sat worrying about making babies. I can only imagine you’ve only read the shallow codexes and not actually the 30k and 40k books where they appear if you think that would be of any interest.

Edited by Remain_Indoors

1 minute ago, Lord Marshal said:

If I had any (40k) Sisters of Silence models I'd be looking at them nervously now. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a permanent date with the Beasts of Chaos and Savage Orcs eventually, or maybe I'm just too cynical. 

Nah, don't think there's any danger of that, different unit concepts altogether. I'd love to see female-coded minis for Custodes themselves though, probably with little to no difference in armour shape / volume, just a female helmetless head and better proportions with newer design 

3 minutes ago, lansalt said:

There's certainly a lot of people apparently unable to understand that 40k is not supposed to be aspirational.

True, though I don't think we are thinking about the same people... :ermm:

Some people are a bit too keen on the Imperium.

You should not want to be a custodes, a marine, or any other of our favourite entertaining monsters, even if we can root for them in their struggle to survive. It's an dystopian horror setting. It's like wanting to be a Party member in the 1984 novel.

People wanting representation is not the same as literally wanting to be there. You wouldn't say "It's fine that there are no black space marines as it is supposed to be a dystopia." Or at least I hope you wouldn't say that. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

If I had any (40k) Sisters of Silence models I'd be looking at them nervously now. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a permanent date with the Beasts of Chaos and Savage Orcs eventually, particularly when they've still not received a dedicated HQ model... or maybe I'm just too cynical. 

Why? A female Custode isn’t a Sister of Silence, a Sister of Silence isn’t just a female Custode. They remain two distinct things that share a codex. It’s no more a sign of their imminent demise than the female Cadian models were.

Edited by Remain_Indoors

2 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

Why? A female Custode isn’t a Sister of Silence, a Sister of Silence isn’t just a female Custode. They remain two distinct things that share a codex. It’s no more a sign of their imminent demise than the female Cadian models were.

More that SoS aren't especially popular, so it's not too difficult to imagine a beancounter asking "why do we need the other Sisters when we can can put female heads on the far better selling Custodes?" But I am Worst Case Scenario catastrophising. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

2 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

I’ve read every novel featuring the Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

But did you get the themes and references in them? Why the Companions of the Emperor are called Companions? Why the SoS were based in Luna? You focus in the technicality of their creation when I have not mentioned it, simply because that's the most irrelevant and easy to retcon part.  The problem is that this breaks the lore crafted for them since twenty years ago to explain how are gender segregated.

But hey, may be there's a new custodian Cawl responsible for this change in universe, or it's somehow related to  whatever Abnett's is planning to do with Valdor in Pandemonioum. But for sure it doesn't matches what was written before about them.

12 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Aleya signs "Am I a joke to you?"

If anything, based on the HH Liber Imperialis, I'd be expecting Sisters of Silence to get a kroot sized range refresh with new bike and beast units. Which would hopefully be able to be used in both 30k and 40k, but GW is being wierd about that recently.

200px-AleyaMini.jpg

This does answer the questions about how they’re going to split Sisters of Silence and Custodes between 30K and 40K. In 40K Sisters of Silence will be purged like Stormcast and Custodes become Coed. Horus Heresy will have Custodes and Sisters that match the Collected Visions art and sex split. 

and everyone will be happy that all options are available because if there’s one thing about 40K fans it rational and considered opinions!

Edited by Marshal Rohr

I mean SoS are not popular because they don't have a decent selection of models. If they actually made half the unrealized units from HH for 40k and actually gave them decent rules, then they would be good. I mean if the Pariah rules was like a -1 OC aura then they would at least have a general purpose.

Edited by The4thHorseman

I, personally, am astounded by the lack of respect GW has shown by removing the vital character Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau from the canon. A truly unforgivable breach of the lore. 

It's all fake, don't worry about it. If you collect Custodes and they start including some different heads in the kits, go ahead and use helmets instead. 

3 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

Aleya signs "Am I a joke to you?"

If anything, based on the HH Liber Imperialis, I'd be expecting Sisters of Silence to get a kroot sized range refresh with new bike and beast units. Which would hopefully be able to be used in both 30k and 40k, but GW is being wierd about that recently.

I definitely think they'll endure in Heresy now they've been separated off into their own army list and as you say, new units which seem primed to receive new models in the future ALA Solar Auxilia. But I definitely think whatever comes out for Heresy won't be seen in 40k, like everything else turned to plastic recently. 

24 minutes ago, lansalt said:

There's certainly a lot of people apparently unable to understand that 40k is not supposed to be aspirational. You should not want to be a custodes, a marine, or any other of our favourite entertaining monsters, even if we can root for them in their struggle to survive. It's an dystopian horror setting. It's like wanting to be a Party member in the 1984 novel.

I understand that. 12-13 year old’s might not necessarily. Regardless, whether it’s the female space marine/custodes debate or another lore conflict entirely without politics, I’m saying that GW’s corporate greed will make them sell out to people who DON’T CARE about the community in the future. This is beginning of that trend. That’s all.

9 minutes ago, Crimson Longinus said:

People wanting representation is not the same as literally wanting to be there.

6 minutes ago, Trysanna said:

but rather want to see women included in the conversation that is the faction.

But what if the faction was already defined as gender segregated to explore certain themes and/or emphasize the backwardness of a culture like the Imperium? Should that type of stories also have not a place? Specially when the very same setting includes other factions and cultures more equal in that sense?
If anything,  I'd say that GW should have put more focus in the "Talons of the Emperor" as a single faction with both SoS and Custodes in the same squads as they should be (pretty much like BT crusaders)

6 minutes ago, Trysanna said:

they literally can't speak which kinda sucks

Ironically, SoS actually speak all the time in thoughmark in the fluff, they just don't do it aloud. Authors like Wraight make them cleverly endearing with their angry hand gestures, frustrated at the stupidity of the Imperium.