Codex Night Lords

Gree

You'll like the beakie heads.I prefer to use them and other Pre-Heresy style helmets as opposed to the "bat-heads",which strike me as an irrational choice for such hardened veterans of the Long War.

I suppose the nightlords box still has "normal" heads in it?

then I'll just have a lot of flappy heads afterwards.

good point.

but whoever thought of the huge-arsed batwings on the NL helmets should be put on a diet of those.

You remember in the new star wars film where the freshly made darth vader finds out that queen amidala is dead and goes, "Noooooooooooooooo"?

That was the noise I made when I first saw the batwing helmets - rightly so they have received a thrashing on this forum on many seperate occassions!

Hopefully if people vote on their feet and dont buy the things GW will take the hint and produce a new line of beaky-only NL's! :D

I doubt I'll take many raptors: they are a wheeney bit too expensive for what they do.

especially under 1000 pts.

they cost about as much as my dragon claws, which easily overpower them in a brawl.

the raptor squad I will take will probably be a counterassault unit.

I think I'm going for the thing that nightlords are actually pretty good at: outshooting the opponent from cover.

And on the topic of shooting from cover,how does everybody configure their firebase troop choices?

I was thinking originally of taking the standard Plasmagun/Lascannon combo,but with my Havocs and Raptors covering the Anti-Tank element,I was thinking of saving some points and adding another Anti-Loyalist shot by going Plasma/Plasma.

Opinions?

2 plasma guns are always nasty, but you lack range, the lascannon can start popping away at 48", so it gets 2-3 shots off before the plasma gun starts blasting along.

I'd say keep the las/plas combination.

what config do you use for havocs anyway?

[-Danek-][-,Aug 6 2005, 01:24 PM]Why do you think that,Brother Nihm?

Because they enslave Furies and in order to summon furies, you have to have models with the MoCU. :)

i was under the impression that furies are found on worlds close to the eye of terror just flying around randomly? In the sense that they are more of an 'animal' (and therfore natural) kind of demonic entity rather than somthing like a hound of khorne for instance?

If this would be the case, I thought the NL just spend some of their r&r time running around eye of terror worlds with giant mouse traps and big nets?! :D

There is certainly a great deal more of evidence that the NL have nothing to do with chaos worship - remember that they had turned heretic before the HH even started, and that it is mentioned that they openly despise any kind of worship, be it for the Emperor or chaos deity..

8 men.4 Rocket Launchers,Tank Hunter,Stealth Adept and Infiltrate.

Surprisingly cheap,points-wise,and they do their job well. :D

yes,, I love that one.

you traitors have anotehr toy though: the autocannon.

having a full dev squad of those for my black dragons makes me think "yesplease!" :)

In the sense that they are more of an 'animal' (and therfore natural) kind of demonic entity rather than somthing like a hound of khorne for instance?

The fact that they are daemonic 'animals' just means that they are more base in nature, not that they are found like birds around the EOT (although they probably are on some worlds). Furies are just as they are described, beasts, knowing no true master and boing what they want to do, not acting on behalf of one or more of the chaos gods. They are still formed from emotions forming in the warp, they just don't fit with any of the chaos gods.

The Batwing Helmets are cool. I use them on most of my marines. What's so bad about them. There one of the reasona I chose Night Lords.

OK... If the only experience I had ever had of space marines was of the bat winged helmet marines, I would think they are ok.

But

[rant]

Over the entire time I have followed GW games (over 15 years) I don't believe that there has ever been a model which comes close to that poor a level of design concept of the batwing NL marines - put simply they look ridiculous.

Even some of the stuff that came out prior to RTB01 has been made to look like the work of Michelangelo in comparison. I would even go as far to say that I would rather use the cloned identikit models that came with 2ed!

To put it plainly, if I were the head of the GW design studio, those responsible for this artistic catastophe would be on their way to the employment bureau.

I have never seen such a total lack of imagination in the design of a model - it must have taken all of three seconds to look at the shoulder pad design and think, "look just put wings on his head".

And this is purely regarding the look of the model.

Dont get me started on the practicalities! Heres a few ideas to throw into the mix that nock the idea onto its crapply designed face:

1) Cant walk through doors.

2) NL are meant to be frightening - not look like a bit part character in a he-man cartoon.

3) Couldnt fit in tanks etc.

Don't take my word for gospel though - I have yet to see a NL which makes use of these models for RAF troops (although to be honest I have seen them in hero roles).

Other than the Index Astartes book, what artwork is there that illustrate the NL's with such ludicrous appendages?

I know its ultimately a matter of opinion, but as a NL player myself, I was extremely angry that GW had put such a total lack of effort into the model design!

My only consolation is that GW have been known to do complete U-turns on model design in the past, so hoefully with people voting on their feet and leaving the hidious things on the shelf, they'll be forced to release a much needed update..

[/rant]

The NL do need a new special head sprue, with some changed beaky helmets for example. The bat wing helmets are the work of someone who was hung-over and didn't feel much like work that day, so put minimal effort into the parts. Currently the only good thing about the NL boxed set is the sword arm and the sculpted shoulder-pads, which, IMO, are much, much better that the transfers. Gotta get me more sculpted shoulder-pads. ;)

Wow, I'm so glad this topic was stickied.

I've changed my army heaps after reading it, it's much fluffier now.

Is MoCU really that unfluffy on Night lords? Sure, you can justify using it, but straight out, is it unfluffy?

I've made a list without it.

I don't see why the personal icon is so much. For 2p less I could reroll moral checks as well as get an icon.

Such are the sacrifices of a fluffy army.

Blasphemous Rune, one the other hand, must be modeled as something else. Night Lords would certainly not have chaos gods, however, would probably have death symbols for same effect?

I also feel that the dirge caster should be put on rhino's for fluff too.

Of course, there are always powergamers that won't do this, but let them be powergamers, I'm playing night lords for fluff.

Of course, there are always powergamers that won't do this, but let them be powergamers, I'm playing night lords for fluff.

Very well said.

I tend to aim for absolute loyalty to the Fluff as I see it,but I still try to make tactically sensible decisions.

On the topic of the helmet issue,the beakies are great when mixed in with more Pre-Heresy style helmets.

Wow, I'm so glad this topic was stickied.

I've changed my army heaps after reading it, it's much fluffier now.

Is MoCU really that unfluffy on Night lords? Sure, you can justify using it, but straight out, is it unfluffy?

Good to hear that you are staying true to the cause, for you would not like the fate of those who act against the wishes of our dark masters ^_^

Put simply, I would argue that MoCU is not really in line with current fluff for the NL. PLease sit down, make yourself a cup of tea, and take time to read my argument :) :

Reading the Index Astartes article, Night Haunter was a lose cannon from the offset, and was not trusted by his fellow primarchs.

Even while reclaiming worlds for the crusade, there were tales of virus bombs used on planets which had only suffered minor rebellion, and the marines became expert in using the art of terror and subjagating their foes. By the time just before the HH, the marines had armour decorated with skulls and shrunken heads - in short, they were not someone you would want along for a sunday picnic.

After an argument with Rogal Dorn over who had the remote last (that last bit may not be true), Night Haunter gave the Imperial Fist primarch a good kicking, and was restrained and put in a holding cell. A short time later he escaped, after buchering those guarding him, and in an extremely petulant manner proceeded to take his fleet and destroy his homeworld, Nostromo.

This was basically the straw that broke the camels back - the Emperor was just about to send a legion to sort out the rogue primarch when the Istvaan V massacre happened and attention was drawn elsewhere. Throughout the HH the NL fleet laid waste to pretty much everything it could get its claws on, but did not fall under the auspices of Horus.

I would argue that the upbringing of Night Haunter (his homeworld of Nostromo was like a london during the industrial revolution but worse), combined with his powers of prophesy which made him aware that one day soldiers of the Emperor would kill him, lead him to spurn the Imperium. IIRC there are no mentions of him being possessed by a daemon, or otherwise controlled by chaos (although as this is a cool piece of fluff, the chances are it will be altered when the HH novel comes out).

The NL associate any kind of worship with weakness, a reliance if you like on a system which will ultimately fail them. In many ways they are the purest renegades of the forces arrayed against the imperium.

Therefore I would argue that while perhaps individual groups of Night Lord marines may have taken to worshipping chaos, the marines would have been bred into a system which shuns it - after all, its the reason that the legion left the imperium in the first place.

After an argument with Rogal Dorn over who had the remote last (that last bit may not be true), Night Haunter gave the Imperial Fist primarch a good kicking, and was restrained and put in a holding cell. A short time later he escaped, after buchering those guarding him, and in an extremely petulant manner proceeded to take his fleet and destroy his homeworld, Nostromo.

Actualy,the scrap the two had stemmed from the fact that Fulgrim,the only Primarch Night Haunter shared his vision of the Heresy with,told Dorn what Night Haunter confided in him and Dorn confronted Haunter,seeing it as an insult to the Emperor.

On a side note,Dorn got what was coming to him,IMO. ^_^

But your basic statement holds true.The Nightlords are true nihilist,and faith is loathsome to them.Hence this (psuedo)infamous quote...

"The Imperium's faith is a bandage.I will rip it off and watch it bleed."

-Knightmare,Lord Commander of the Nightlords Second Grand Company.

The NL do need a new special head sprue, with some changed beaky helmets for example. The bat wing helmets are the work of someone who was hung-over and didn't feel much like work that day, so put minimal effort into the parts. Currently the only good thing about the NL boxed set is the sword arm and the sculpted shoulder-pads, which, IMO, are much, much better that the transfers. Gotta get me more sculpted shoulder-pads. :devil:

Ahh but if you clip off the wings... you got yourself preheresy looking chaosified helmets.

I used the "batwing" helmets with the wings clipped, for both the AC and the marine on the far right.

link

Granted it's a bit hard to see, so remind me to post a closeup shot; once I'm done painting. :P

I love clipping the horns and whatnot off the helmets, my favorite is this guy.

I would argue that the upbringing of Night Haunter (his homeworld of Nostromo was like a london during the industrial revolution but worse), combined with his powers of prophesy which made him aware that one day soldiers of the Emperor would kill him, lead him to spurn the Imperium.

Read Lord of the Night and you shall find the true reason for the Haunters rebellion, and who could blame him?

I would argue that the upbringing of Night Haunter (his homeworld of Nostromo was like a london during the industrial revolution but worse), combined with his powers of prophesy which made him aware that one day soldiers of the Emperor would kill him, lead him to spurn the Imperium.

Read Lord of the Night and you shall find the true reason for the Haunters rebellion, and who could blame him?

I have YET to read Lord of the Night,primarily because I've heard such differing veiws of it.Some praise it while others call it sacriledge.

That combined with the Black Libraries history of being inaccurate fluffwise most of the time.

I guess I'll have to read it though.

And Nihm,I'm going to nic your idea in regards to the NL helmets,if you don't mind much. :devil:

Archived