Wings of Retribution (vindicator finished)

maelis

It all started a long time ago, during December 2004.

Big marines were the hottest thing there was. There were a bunch of people starting their biggerized armies and a few even managed to complete theirs. The rest of us were burdened by the immense amount of work required and kind of lost our inspiration I guess. 16 months had passed when I started to keep a blog on a finnish forum (just a few days ago), I had 9 completed miniatures. Migsula brought me the wonderful message about the resurrection of B&C, so here I am, with the same blog in english.

I know blogs should be in their own department, but it's easier to do it on the forum since the finnish place doesn't have a section for them. Of course this can be moved there if so required.

During this marine army I've painted a whfb Chaos army for myself and small kingdom of ogres as a comission. But all that time the marines were haunting in my mind, telling me what I should be really painting: them. So as my last straw I decided to make this blog. Now people can start mocking me if I don't paint, or just cheer me to paint more if I do. Both of which lead to me finishing the army. (hopefully)

So: Ideas, hobby-tips, constructive criticism and motivation of all kind is very, very welcome. The mountain of work doesn't really scare me, but I have a few problems:

-I have no real method for making the marines bigger. I tried sculpting, casting, converting, and a mix of all the techniques I know. It would be cool to have just one method, so it would become like a routine -> easier. And all the molds have been a disaster. Do the rules allow conversations about casting here?

-The green paint doesn't cover well. Airbrushing or painting, gw or vallejo: it won't cover the white basecoat after 5 layers or so.

-I suck at writing fluff (sorry for the kitten), the only thing I've come up with is the chapter name: Wings of Retribution.

-I suck at playing and making armylists. The army will probably just include cool units that are easy to make.

And of course, the most important part:

Assault Squad 2004-2005

Terminators 2005, to be led by a termi-Librarian.

size comparison to some regular marines

I'd hope to update every two weeks or so, depending on school and the unit I'm working on.

I really like the color scheme. The pale green and the white are reminiscent of a less annoyingly bright Sons of Medusa to me, and its nice. Makes me want to paint something similar. :-)

I find when 'biggerizing' or 'true-scaling' my marines for squads, the easier way to do it and get almost the same effect and fully re-doing the sculpt is to focus on the upper legs and midsection. As marines are almost ape-like in their original proportions off the sprue anyway, I think it works out quite well. I'll usually cut off the legs, make them more erect, and a small amount of length to the thighs with plasticard, and then sculpt out some bulk on them. Depending on the pose, sometimes I'll thicken the waist/torso as needed too. Perhaps some of those thoughts will help you solidify your method. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Great looking stuff so far!

• 2 weeks later...

So many comments :huh:

Well, here's a scout anyway. Might be the last update for a while because of the comission-xenos waiting on my table. Also the secrets of successful mold-making are beginning to unfold so making test-molds will take quite a bit of my limited hobby-time. Hopefully I'll get to painting the scout-squad in at least two weeks.

http://www.elisanet.fi/toni.sokura/scout.jpg

I like the colour scheme. The battle damage is nice too. Except for some places with bigger damage. There you need to add some dimension to the black parts. You could try to do that with grey (for texture) and red-brown colours for corrosion/rust. That way the big black scratches won't look that black and shapeless.

Guess most of us missed it :).

Method for True Scale: True Scale on B&C

And (unfortunately) posts about casting is forbidden here... just so you know.

I also love the colour scheme, AND the models so far. Keep it up ! (well, paint the xenos-commission first and go back to them with renewed motivation).

Really nice mini's love the termies. It's nice to see a unique colour used on marines and done well.

Thanks for posting, these pics are off to my inspiration wall.

Keep up the good work :)

Good to see the guys here too!

If you pull and army of these guys off, I don't know what I'll have to do next to do one better ;)

The green/bone combination is just SUBLIME!

Hopefully there will soon be two finished, biggerised marine armies in the world, and both in Finlandd! :)

Oh yeah! This guy here is roughly what I call a tactical marine.

This week is still dedicated to xenos (which is not allowed on this forum)

The next week will see some casting (which is, yep you guessed it :blush:)

http://www.elisanet.fi/toni.sokura/iso.jpg

How the hell do you get your colours so solid? Mine are streaky as hell. Any hints or tips?

Also, i love your marines, they are gorgeous. Especially that green. Keep up the good work. I'd love to see your xenos, if they are anything like the marines they too will be gorgeous.

Looking really nice man ;) I love the battle-raged paintjob.

On the chaplain in the assault squad, what head did you use? Conversion? It almost looks like a Necron head :) Looks really cool :D

MAGGOT

STOP POSTING SUCH AWESOME STUFF!!! :D

It's waaaay too distracting. I'm trying to finish my own army and I don't need to waiste time drooooling over your's. If you keep this up, I may just have to start copying your work. And, we don't want that now do we?

Seriously, you have a very unique looking army. It must be tough making a bright green look realistic and worn. It really looks like a labor of love.

I can't wait for further picts.

Maelis,

That dread and scout turned out great. I love the way the battle damage came out on that dread. Do you still have the pug helmet tut still around. You just reminded me of it when you showed your army. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Drak

Archived