Wings of Retribution (vindicator finished)

maelis

Oh my goodness, i absolutely love those marines :tu: .....

One little thing though, it looks like the dred appears to be painted with a brighter green than the green on the marines, i think you should uhh, pale-iffy, the dred, but if its too late, then i guess you could just take note of it for your next models.

Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, those scouts look absolutely wonderful! Your style reminds me of historical figurepainting, very detailed and realistic. And those metallics... Smooth is the only word for them. :cry:

So what is next? More tactical marines to bulk out the army? Perhaps vehicles? They will of course present their own problems in terms of scale. I hope we will be seeing entries from you at RopeCon! :cry:

Congrats on the 15 models! I now know how hard it is to even get a small squad assembled and painted. I wish you good luck on the next 15. <_<

Hey, your Marines look awesome. I love seeing true scale marines and these are even painted awesomely too. The one thing I hate about big marines is that they make me look at my regular ones and wince! Unfortunately, I'm not mad enough to convert a whole army, so regular, gorilla marines it is for me. :blush:

So what is next? More tactical marines to bulk out the army? Perhaps vehicles? They will of course present their own problems in terms of scale. I hope we will be seeing entries from you at RopeCon! ^_^

Tactical marines are definitely the next unit to emerge. I've also ordered a jump pack along with some other bitz for the fifth assault marine. For the rhino-based vehicles there's some sort of a plan here.

And I too hope to see stuff from myself (and you, Yuri!) in Ropecon, not one single decent idea for a diorama yet...

TheSovereign, I know exactly what you're talking about with the difference in scale and proportions. After staring at the biggerized marines for hours (staring is my favorite part of the hobby ;)) and hours, assembling a basic marine was just plain weird. "This can't be right! Marines aren't like this!" were my first thoughts after seeing the complete marine. Sovereign is a tobacco brand favored by russian truck drivers btw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.elisanet.fi/toni.sokura/built.jpg

The tactical squad is coming along well... The pic is small and blurry on purpose, so there's still something to see when I've finished painting them. :unsure:

The image and feeling of the squad can be seen although they still lack kneepads and smaller details. I've also finished building the landspeeder (tempest, so no size increase in the pilots) and the Vindicator is about 50% assembled. Now that tank is a lot of work as I couldn't go without growing it a bit :P

I'll answer some questions later as now I just needed to quickly show how the tacticals are.. yeah, that's it. Steaks for me ->

Speaking of which, how do you do your weathering?

The scratches are how Cyril does them, Scorched brown and white. Some are grey though, and lack the highlight, these aren't as deep as the brown ones. I've always imagined the power-armour is a complex system with many layers of different materials, so scratches of different depth would reveal different materials.

Further weathering includes drybrushes with colors used on the bases.

Yes, the termi in the pic is a Codicier, the second version. The first version had an ugly head and a really weird psy-hood, etc.

There's no easy way to make the armor, and if I made a tutorial it would only have one word: Sculpt.

I could possibly include a link to some great sculpting tutorial too :tu:

Merely adding plasticard to the legs and waist give a nice height to the model, but some other problems remain: The thighs are still too thin to cover a human leg (a particularly athletic and muscular leg in this case). Also if one wants to make a marine half a meter taller in scale, quite an amount of plasticard is required for one model, resulting in a very funky space marine. I've seen very good biggerizements... errm, very good size increasements done with plasticard/putty added to a normal marine, but it never worked for me.

So tens of hours of playing with putty and filing until your fingernails are dust.

The sergeant is probably standing too high, makes him look like he's a lot taller than the other squad-members...

The sergeant is probably standing too high, makes him look like he's a lot taller than the other squad-members...

well i think thats a good point. It might do good to show the sergeant a touch taller than the other marines. Maybe to mark him out as a veteran possibly? or mebbe to show that hes the one in charge of the others

You're work is incredible, consider it YOINK'd :(

I have a couple of requests and suggestions, if you dont mind. First up, the shoulderpads need to be a little bigger; they seem to suck a little of the impact out of the models. You could try trading another Marine player for the studded MK6 pads. If you file off the studs and sculpt rims over the top, they should be just that little bit chunkier without going over the top. Id also have mounted the backpacks slightly lower, but thats just personal taste, they look classy as-is.

If you get the chance, could you put up some unobscured detail shots of the "arse-plate" on the back of the hip/crotch armour section, and of the torso itself?

Also, what brand of putty do you use? It looks like Milliput, but that stuff was horrible when I used it, it stuck everywhere and applying some water just got chalky residue on everything.

Oh yeah! This guy here is roughly what I call a tactical marine.

This week is still dedicated to xenos (which is not allowed on this forum)

The next week will see some casting (which is, yep you guessed it :D)

http://www.elisanet.fi/toni.sokura/iso.jpg

:o Throne!!

I'll definately have to copy that and "chaosify" it.

I think the armour is a little bit to bulky though.

Edit: Noticed the second pic with the entire unit, looks awsome!

Great work! :(

Very nice. To me, everything looks fine. Just keep it up, and get them painted!!! lol.

Quick question, what type material do you use to sculpt up eveerything other than the arms, head, back pack. etc. Hope you get some time to respond. Keep it up.

thanks,

Bander

holly schmidt, those are sick. Its just something about the short arms make them so like the drawings. My fav is the marine with the power fist and the librarian keep up the ggod work. Maybe you could describe how you made the initial design of the first marine. Cause im itchin to make one for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived