Forgeworld quality case example

Thanks for the review OMG. I've posted in the other thread but I may post images of the problems i've had with my MKIV dread arm when I get home.

++edit OMG you should call them and explain the faults if there anything like my call this morning you'll get a new set sent out gratis and get to keep the old ones++

++edit for pics. The dccw was the problem the sarcophagus is how they all should be. You can see the hole in the smaller part of the arm and the mold lines on the larger, you can't see quite how grainy the texture is though.++

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/brother_marcus/DCCW.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/brother_marcus/dread.jpg

Well, I've come to the conclusion that it's just something you have expect when dealing with FW products. I don't really know that much about resin casting, but it would seem they have problems with bubbles in the molds, and sometimes the molds aren't aligned properly when you get superthin parts. I had the AM badge thing, and it had a detail that was so thin you could see light through it... :devil:

Cheers

I've done one order through FW - and it took 2 additional shipments to correct the flaws I found. The first time, one of the pieces arrived broken - when the replacement came in, it was too small (it was a side door mount from the reinforced rhino armour - and the door wouldn't fit in it). Of the parts that weren't flawed to the point of asking for a replacement, several needed a LOT of work to get rid of mold flaws. In general, while I really like the level of detail they provide, their quality control is such that the only way I'd buy something from them again would be if I could actually see what I was buying first. Paying that much in the first place, I expect extreme attention to quality before they send it out to me - they should arrive looking like the pictures I ordered from, not rough drafts.

I guess, despite FWs lack of quality control, at least their customer service is (from what ive seen) of high quality. Unlike a previous case of bits order ive had with GW itself, issues that get reported to GW with sufficient proof seem to be easily rectifed with replacement parts which I think is great. Given what you pay for their bits, its nice to see that when issues come up, they dont make any hassle of it and simply mail out replacements.

Sure, it doesnt excuse them for their lack of quality control, however, at least they are willing to do things about any issues that come up.

And of course i still dream for the day i can order from FW :devil:

Works everytime :devil:

That it does! I ended up really letting rip and was met with a rather huffy:

"Mr Button, you cannot use such language on the telephone."

My reply:

"Guess what? I just DID."

Got my replacement bits by courier the next day. Or was it something about dropping the lawyer on them for breach of contract? :devil: :devil: ^_^ :devil:

After all, when you place an order and pay the money, you have just entered into a legally binding contract that they will supply what you have paid for. If they don't, that breaches said contract.

Whenever I've had a problem with stuff I've bought (I never order, just buy at games day), I've just E-mailed them, told them the problem and had a new part 1-2 weeks later, no questions or anything.

So yea, the quality control is lacking, however, the customer service in my experience has been quite good.

-Legacy40k

My reply:

Got my replacement bits by courier the next day. Or was it something about dropping the lawyer on them for breach of contract? :devil: :devil: ^_^ :devil:

After all, when you place an order and pay the money, you have just entered into a legally binding contract that they will supply what you have paid for. If they don't, that breaches said contract.

I like your style :devil: :devil: :devil:

My reply:

I like your style :devil: :devil: :devil:

Not if your on the recieving end Ahmato. I'm not grumbling about Callas methods, I don't know what his situation was and we all have our own way of dealing with things.

However just to let you all know a simple polite explanation gets you new parts sent out without a quibble from forgeworld.

All (hopefully) joking aside, FW's customer service is the top of the heap when it comes to GW in general. The Black Library is a close second with regular Mail Order right behind. They screw up, yes but, they replace very quickly, at least in my personal experience...

I'm expectibg these torsos as well as they were out of stock by the time I got to the front of the queue at Games Day. Can't wait to see what they look like in person...

Not if your on the recieving end Ahmato. I'm not grumbling about Callas methods, I don't know what his situation was and we all have our own way of dealing with things.

However just to let you all know a simple polite explanation gets you new parts sent out without a quibble from forgeworld.

Yes, but to be fair, it wouldn't happen if they never messed up in the first place. Think about it, if I'm going to pay money for a product then I expect to get just that. The opposite side of the coin is if I took something from a store and tossed a few quid to the guy on the till and just walked out. Thats not what they're expecting, they want the total price for the product paid for in full. I'm pretty sure that they would call the police, chase me down and either force me to pay up or charge me with theft, perhaps after asking me politely to hand over the rest, perhaps not.

Now, when I see that I'm paying for somthing which is overpriced, and I have to wait weeks for it to arrive, and when it does, it is badly miscast, and definately not in an acceptable state, then I'm not the sort of person that will just take it, phone FW up, and tell them nicely what the problem is.

In all fairness, if another company screwed up, like Dell sending a computer that been damaged, or having a PSP shipped, only for it to have the screen shattered, they will usually resort to blaming it on the courier company, and basically do naff all about it, until you get really angry, and they admit defeat and send you the stuff properly (I've had both these happen to me). GW makes a real effort in the customer service/after sales side of things, and I've never came across a company that deals with its customer's in such a reasonable manner. Perhaps, we never hear about all the times GW/FW do get it right, and instead it's usually the bad things that surface, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh when I scream at a GW employee (when it's obviously not personally their fault)...I dunno, odd thing GW. :lol:

The best FW product I have ever purchased was my greater demon of Khorne...The worst, multiple sets of Ultra Landraider doors. Every saet the top hatch is noticibly short. Finally, I just shimmed the sides with several mm of plasti-strut. I too have the Red Scorpions My samples are nicely cast, and since I am not using the sowrd arm on Culn, the slight bend is not an issue. The biggest bug-a-boo on my Culn in a bubble on the top of his armor. I have a glob of resin to carve a way on the top of his armor.

Yes, but to be fair, it wouldn't happen if they never messed up in the first place. Think about it, if I'm going to pay money for a product then I expect to get just that. The opposite side of the coin is if I took something from a store and tossed a few quid to the guy on the till and just walked out. Thats not what they're expecting, they want the total price for the product paid for in full. I'm pretty sure that they would call the police, chase me down and either force me to pay up or charge me with theft, perhaps after asking me politely to hand over the rest, perhaps not.

Now, when I see that I'm paying for somthing which is overpriced, and I have to wait weeks for it to arrive, and when it does, it is badly miscast, and definately not in an acceptable state, then I'm not the sort of person that will just take it, phone FW up, and tell them nicely what the problem is.

In all fairness, if another company screwed up, like Dell sending a computer that been damaged, or having a PSP shipped, only for it to have the screen shattered, they will usually resort to blaming it on the courier company, and basically do naff all about it, until you get really angry, and they admit defeat and send you the stuff properly (I've had both these happen to me). GW makes a real effort in the customer service/after sales side of things, and I've never came across a company that deals with its customer's in such a reasonable manner. Perhaps, we never hear about all the times GW/FW do get it right, and instead it's usually the bad things that surface, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh when I scream at a GW employee (when it's obviously not personally their fault)...I dunno, odd thing GW. :)

I agree Ahmato if they'd got it right first time we would not have the problem. I only reposted so people would not think that they had to shout to get the situation resolved.

When I recieved my FW dread arm I had waited 3 weeks and I was dissapointed but they did everything they could to correct the mistake and were apologetic about it, so in my book there was no need for me to go any further (in fact I had a short conversation with the FW guy about how they should make a sculpt of the Emperor) .

If they had tried to get out of giving me a replacement, or have me give them excessive detail etc (Like Dell do :cuss ) they would have recieved the Emperor's wrath. Anyway I'm rambling, my point is for me the Emperor's wrath is the last resort not the first.

I dunno, odd thing GW. :cuss
Oh indeed I agree wholeheartedly with that.........but we hobbyists are quite peculiar too :lol:

Maybe I'm missing something but why scream at a guy that makes jack for wages about an issue he didn't cause? Perhaps that's why I get such great service with GW, or FW, or damn near any other company by being polite and reasonable. I've even had some pretty good laughs with customer service because I'm polite and not a screaming :lol: .

If a piece is grossly miscast I'll call on it. Other wise, it is just something I've come to expect in the hobby. The only pieces I've received without mold lines were some of the Limited Privateer resins...but I would definately say they were the exception to the rule.

I own a lot of Forge World stuff and yes, there are mold lines or pock holes but...I feel this is just standard for the medium. I've probably had only one piece out of 50 that was so miscast I had to call them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Good review of the Red scorpion stuff...I will probably be picking up some of it as well.

Maybe the mentallity or train of thought from the guys working the press think that "Hey if there ordering from us they must be pretty good at what they do, a little greenstuff can go a long way!" or something. Not in their defense and I do understand your woes. Once I ordered a chaplin on a bike, when I got it his head was practicly missing(Looked to be melted off with a multimelta lol). And this wasn't even from FW. I called GW and never was able to get a replacement.

If it was over priced, why buy it?

If you bought it, it wasn't over priced. :D

They priced it to optimize their income. Nothing more.

If it is to pricey make more money, or change requirements.

If it was over priced, why buy it?

If you bought it, it wasn't over priced. ;)

I buy them because, because, erm, well...mmm Forgeworld :D

Come on, seriously I know what you mean but I would expect somthing to wrong if I ordered a model from them for, say,

Well I may be the exception to the rule here but I've ordered a few things fromFw, mainly vindi upgrades, and they came out ok. Yeah they had the normal run of mold lines and some large sprue left on them but I've always figured that goes with the territory. After all resin casting is a pain ( I do some for other purposes not for mini work ) all it takes is a small bubble or two and you end up with the flaws being seen. Should they be more careful with their quality control??...probaly but then again we'd probably end up paying much more for them as they would be rejecting way more than they would ship. So it's really kind of a balancing act, you try to catch the really major stuff knowing that some minor flaws are going to get through and if they are more than minor then you do what they are doing now, replace them without question.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Tom

Yeah, FW does have great products-- but problems with the resin. I had (emphasis on had, it fell off my shelf and shattered on monday night) a forgeworld dread, and it had a few modelling flaws, but was a great piece for my army. I might go out and get some more FW stuff, namely red scorpion upgrade box (for a custom assault squad) and the black templars venerable dread. Only problem is, I don't like that dread's head, I know it isn't attached (you have to put it in, just like the others), but can I just order a differnet head, or do I have to buy a completely differnet model as well??? :D

my issues with forgeworld are rare usually, at least for the few times i've been able to afford them. my only issues have been recent. i ordered a chaos dreadnaught, ordered the base to go with it, they sent a loyalist base. i emailed em and they replied quickly sending me the correct one. didnt even ask for the old one back, not that i know what to do with it now. problem was after all that, the correct base have a bunch of bubble holes is it, large ones. luckily only the small ones made it to the top but i had to putty the rest as they were in the bottom and side.

Archived