First attempts at a new style of painting

while I like the effect of this style of painting and really really wanna try it wont it make black look weird?
If you want it to look weird the yes, otherwise you can just use more cascading layers to cover what you need in black. But you could create a black that is really alive by using a lot of different colours and off-black hues.

And if you want something to look really black then you don't need pure black. If you paint the rest (like details and skin) in high values then the value contrast should make your dark hues appear dark and black without being really black. It can work the other way too. If you keep most stuff in low and medium values then your greys can substitute for the white. Then your Fortress Grey will look brighter than it really is because if the contrast with all the lowto medium values of the rest of the miniature.

Think about it this way. the standard approach is like oil painting. You are using "opaque" paint and building up from your base painting. This "new" style is like painting with watercolors, you are slowly building color with transparent washes or tints. They are just different approaches to the same problem.

Thanks for posting this information as it finally makes sense to me why the current "european" style looks so different. Though I should have guessed since Acrylics can be used both ways being water based.

Thanks for passing this on No Remorse. For the white base coat are you using the GW white spray primer or a white coat of paint as primer?

The flesh tones on your SOB's are quite nice.

Pass our thanks on to JB for us.

Ardus.

:lol: im so intrigued by this that im going to paint my ultra termies(for the spacehulk AOD) in this manner...lets see how the blue turns out,

one question though...with a white helmet,what would you use as your starting and following coats after the white undercoat -i mean this in regards to ending with white thats shaded with greys...

mithril

For the white base coat are you using the GW white spray primer or a white coat of paint as primer?
I just use the primer underseath, since I use Krylon Primer it is very smooth and acts as the perfect white basecoat, also if the area get a bit chipped or painted on before I paint it, I just use VGC white priemr to retouch it.

with a white helmet,what would you use as your starting and following coats after the white undercoat -i mean this in regards to ending with white thats shaded with greys...

Well for my whites, I started by using VMC sky blue, then went into azure blue then finally tan glaze. For greys you would simply go with darker tones of grey until you reached the desired shade.

Ja

I just finished off one of the sister's cloak and gloves. All in all it took about 3 hours, mind you there was some time spent in correcting a few errors. I find with this method it is VERY easy to go too dark, thus I had to go over a few edges with white again and touch them up. Once I have it down I think I can easily do a cloak in 2 hours or less. Again I dodn't worry too much about smoothness, I used about the sam number of layers as before. Of course since this was an experiment, I chose the ugliest step sister to experiment on ;)

http://greenman.publicmine.com/gallery/alb...r_cloak_WIP.jpg

ok, so you undercoat white then have your lightest colour and paint that a few times onto the mini, then you go darker and darker nearing the centre of the area you are highlighting? all the while using very watered down paints?

I think I'll give this a try, who knows, my word bearers could end up looking 10 times better than my Grey Knights

lol, I was very busy this weekend and even was able to squeeze in a game of 40k last night, in which I was massacred :wub:

Anyway, I think I will try to complete one full sister today, just for those of you *cough griffin cough* who are looking for an update.

Ja

So would it be better to paint an offwhite colour scheme (lets say lunar wolves ;) ) using a white undercoat, then shading using darker offwhite colours?
It depens what effect you want. If you use a white primer then you will have (in my opinion) better shading. Black primer often results in black blacklining. For anything that is white or off-white black seperation of the parts is too dark if you are aiming for a more realistic result. But for the table top (gaming) it can be better to have a bit darker shading and much more contrast because that way you can see something at gaming distance.

I painted a grey Space Marine like this (long time ago, I was trying to replicate Cyril's light Space Marines): I took some Fortress Grey and mixed it with the lighter of the Games Workshop oranges. And then I thinned that down really much (10:1 water-paint ratio at least). I used clean water for the thinning. Absorb some of this paint with the brush and apply it like a basecoat. Waitl till it's dry and then repeat that two or three times. Then I took some Fortress Grey and mixed that with some blue (enchanted blue) and thinned that like the above mix, just not that thin, more like five or seven to one. Blackline or dark shade with that. then I took Fortress Grey and thinned that to a consistency that needs three or four layers to cover fully. That should be about thre or four to one (water/paint). I used this to clean up the midtones so these don't look too muddy. And depending on how many layers you use you can either leave some texture or remove it. I left texture becaus I wanted a rather rough, corroded and damagd scheme.

Apply all these steps after you are sure that the last step is dry. And if you want the texture to be rougher then just don't paint that clean. If you want everyhting to have more of a shining and polished look then you have to control your glazes and washes.

• 1 month later...

Archived