A techmarine's tale

NemFX

Update later tonight. It's not so much a question of my muse taking a vacation, I write when I'm supposed to be doing something else. Being unemployed kinda screws with that..

Chapter 4:

"I wanted to congradulate you on your promotion, Akhad. Don't let being a captain go to your head. You have your own ship and your own crew, which means you have even more responsibilities." Brother-captain Maximus addressed the fellow captain.

"I understand sir. I'm glad I get to have my own ship." Akhad said eagerly.

"Don't start getting notions of grandeur. I can see you already have some ideas of what these ships can do. Make no mistake. Imperial ships are fast, strong, and better equipped than most ships you'll encounter. That doesn't mean that your invunerable. In all honesty, I'd prefer my chances in power armour. I can at least count on my own skills. In space you could be destroyed without ever seeing your killer."

"I think I understand sir." Akhad replied.

"Sorry. I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything. Just dont want you to do anything foolish. There are enough martyrs." Maximus concluded.

+++++

The air was thick with incense smoke. Volumous clouds of smoke still hung throughout the chapel, which was actually a slightly converted cargo bay.

Brother-techmarine Kev'ver walked into the chapel and instantly came face to face with Pleagius who had been waiting on the other side of the cargo bay's reinforced doors.

After Kev'ver recovered from the mild heart attack that Pelagius had given him, he knew two things for certain:

1. Pelagius was mad.

and..

2. Pelagius was mad.

While some people would argue that it might seem like both statements were the same, few people trule understood the fury that chaplains could have. Being one of the few responsible for the spiritual and psychological well being of his brother marines, chaplains brought new meanings to the words anger and fury.

"You. Me. My office. Now." Were Pelagius's only words before he turned and walked to his office, the terminator armour hardly even slowing his motions.

The chaplains office had a large wood desk and his crozius arcanum lay upon it. His other weapon; a storm bolter lay on it's rack behind him.

Pelagius sat in a giant reinforced chair. The servitor stood in a corner, a blanket that was held on by more belts than he could count covered him.

"Your servitor here caused quite a commotion. I can forgive interrupting a service for an extra prayer, but your servitor was only wearing a loose blanket, and said blanket got caught in the door. I had gotten almost completely through my sermon before noticing that I had a naked servitor behind me for most of it!"

Pelagius's anger was broiling. Seething was more accurate, but in either event all the anger was aimed directly at him.

"I apologise sir.. I don't know what to say.."

Pelagius sighed, and resisted the urge to smash his desk. After all, good desks are hard to come by.

"I understand that you don't care for having a servitor around, but please try to keep an eye on him."

"I will sir. Sorry again sir."

"Kev'ver, if you can find a spare moment, find it some clothes."

+++++

Kev'ver took the servitor to the ship's stores immediately afterwards. Two marines that had been at Pelagius's sermon were there.

"Hey! Big hit earlier!" Brother Tim from squad four joked.

"Yeah, yeah, don't remind me.." Kev'ver brushed off the flamer wielding marines jibe as he requested a standard engineering coverall.

"What's his name anyway?" asked brother Corona who appeared to be trading fuel recipies with Tim.

"Name? Servitors have names?" Kev'ver pondered, never considering it before.

His musings were interrupted before they began, as a dark green cloth package came out of the dispenser. Kev'ver read the number on it. "B-22. Is that a good enough name for it?"

"Have you asked him what his name is?" Corona asked while mixing promethium and other flammable materials.

For the second time in as many minutes Kev'ver was confounded.

"Do you have a name?" Tim asked the servitor.

"Name? A designation for identification.. Most of my earlier memories and information I can't seem to access.. All data encrypted. I don't know lord."

"Lord? Were you promoted without telling us?" Tim joked "Did the captain like your stunt that much?"

"Didn't know you could be promoted that much. Servitor? Throw me that fuel canister?" Corona asked, but didn't anticipate how hard or fast the pneumatic arm was, and only just managed to duck in time.

"He said toss, not chuck." Kev'ver chided.

"Sorry lord."

"Hey.. Chuck. That'd be a good name." Tim said as he picked the canister up.

"How would that be?" Kev'ver asked.

"It is acceptable lord."

"So what do you remember? You said something about encryption?"

"I remember.. Dark.."

"You mean you can't remember anything?"

"Dark.. Just Dark.."

I'm glad you both like my warped sense of humour. I spent a good portion of the day reading BFG info sheets to make the next chapter accurate. Expect geeky refferences, a Star Trek styled space battle, and some general purpose bada$s scenes.

I should be done writing it by monday (hopefully. i need to read a library book in that time also.)

side note: battlefleet gothic sucks. seriously.

I don't really have anything planned.. I've been writing this in one of those thin schoolbooks (the spiral bound kind) so I was figuring I'd go until I run out of paper or ideas..

I'm glad you like it though. It's always funny; I normally draw, but I only get complimented when I write :woot:

Sorry for the short chapter, but it's supposed to be short and chaotic, because I went through the effort of looking up things for accuracy. Chapter six will be a spiffy space battle with explosions and lazers and stuff. As an added bonus, try and spot all of the refferences in my story! It's really hard to miss them actually, because if they weren't there, it wouldn't be a story told by ME. :P

Chapter five:

Early in the morning, around 0300, sirens rang out across the ship waking Kev'ver from a deep sleep. Granted space marines don't normally need sleep, but Kev'ver found that if he swung his servo arm against the side of his helmet fast enough that it put him out quite nicely.

"All hands to battle stations! We have Eldar rapidly approaching out port side! Repeat. All hands to battle stations!" Maximus ordered over the ship wide comm.

Kev'ver grabbed his bolter and headed for the bridge. Along the way he encountered sergent Riddick shouting orders.

"Battle stations! Battle stations! Battle stations! P.W.O.R!"

+++++

Three shadow class Eldar craft emerged from the warp a few thousand kilometers off the port side of the ship. The Eldar ships look strange - aerodynamic winged things. Sails without air to move them, rapidly approaching the small Imperial convoy.

"Prow turret, prepare to fire."

"Sir! Sensors detect signals on our starboard side!"

"Raiders! Dark Eldar ships!"

"Reading a number of Corsair class ships approaching!"

While they spoke, the Sarengo (one of the two escourt ships) exploded from Dark Eldar fire and soundlessly exploded killing all 8000 on board. While sound didn't register in the black vaccum of space, the ships were close enough to feel the shockwave through the deckplates.

Maximus opened a channel to the other ship.

"Eldar to the left of me, Dark Eldar to the right, and I'm stuck in the middle with you."

The other captain smiled grimly, then spoke:

"With so many of them, just shoot, can't miss."

I stole the phrase from the laconic phrases (I did say I was going to include some in this story!) and as for the other captain, that's captain Genericus, and no, that's not his official name. He's just there to die in an action scene. Kinda like Boromir. They don't really do anything, but they die to remind people that the story is serious and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I haven't updated in awhile, and nobody's commented.. I hope it's because your all lamenting my absence.

In all fairness, I haven't gone anywhere. I haven't even stopped writing. I'm currently writing a few chapters ahead, because I'm trying to get my stuff on a different site. That's right, crossover! .. again! With someone else's chapter. Should be fun. I think I'm on like the 4th page.. I try and do a page a day which is realistic from a creative standpoint.

Anyways, I don't have a name for it.. Sooo.. If anyone wants to come up with a name for an Ultramarines and Fighting Tigers of Veda crossover where 5 of my guys go visit them for training and stuff then I'll post what I've been writing separately until the time when I'm done writing that and I can link up the two.

I'm apparently writing an epic story!

.. Now if only someone would pay me.. Or at least give me a cookie..

Don't worry, we've been a-lamenting ;). But are those the Tigers that I am thinking of? Like, the ones with female marines, eldar allies, and such? I'm not a fan of such unfluffy heresy :angry:, but go right ahead if you can make a cool crossover. Though, don't they not like the Ultras?

Don't worry, we've been a-lamenting ;).

Good!

But are those the Tigers that I am thinking of? Like, the ones with female marines, eldar allies, and such? I'm not a fan of such unfluffy heresy :angry:, but go right ahead if you can make a cool crossover. Though, don't they not like the Ultras?

Yes, indeed those are the Tigers of which I speak. No, those aren't the droids your looking for, and no, they don't care much for Ultras. The reason being that for a brief period, in the 38th millenium they controlled the Tigers chapter. I figure that 3000-4000 years later (i.e. 41st millenium) they'd be willing to accept an apology. Plus, giving them a gift and all that, makes things easier.

Anyways, I'm about a third or halfway through that story (I haven't figured out how long it's gonna be, since I want it to be both good and accurate (like Star Trek!) instead of GW style where it's more comparable to Dr. Who (i.e. continuity has little place..)

• 3 weeks later...
I honestly don't know. Sorry to drag real life into this, but generally speaking I've had no time and very little inspiration. I'll probably put up the other story I'm writing to tide you all over. Things should be back to normal next week, but until then I can't imagine getting anything significant done..

Good good, I'm having teouble finding inspiration myself for my story. Heck, I haven't even played a game yet. :angry:

I liked some of the Trekkie jokes you've had, especially "I'm a doctor, not a secretary." You only need now "Ye canna change the laws of physics captain." ;)

Good luck writing up.

Cambrius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
fantastic, i don't read much of techmarinwes...the popular character seems always to be a captain or librarian. Course they are fun to write about. Smiting foes and all. another thing you don't read much about is chaplains. mysterious men they are. and apothecaries...hmmm..(muses for a minute or two) anyways many kudos and props and such stuff that mean hurrah! 's for you. keep ging and talk to black library to see if you can get it published.

Archived