The Blood Raven's Harlequins

The Yncarne

I started a proper Harlequin army the day 9th edition was announced. This thread is a consolidation of my Harlequin work, thoughts, and maybe even battle reports.

I'm always open ro positive criticism. I fear my best painting days lie somewhere in the '90s, and I hope to learn new stuff nevertheless.

Completed Models

• First Starweaver 1 / 2
  • Second Starweaver 1 / 2
  • Third Starweaver 1 / 2
  • Fourth Starweaver 1 / 2

Work in Progress

• Shadowseer Day One 1 / 2

My Harlequin Gallery

Here's what I did on the first day of the The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event. I am pleasantly surprised at little stuff I missed.

gallery_2133_16545_234007.jpg

Today I continued on the model. Not as much done today. I hope to have quick pics tomorrow.

Thank you for looking.

Edited by The Blood Raven

Here's what I did on the second day of the The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event. I am pleasantly surprised at how little stuff I missed but I have to revisit the crotch banner. lol.

gallery_2133_16545_160269.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_205233.jpeg

Today I continued on the model. Not as much done today. I hope to have quick pics tomorrow.

Thank you for looking.

Today in the hobby I finished up the Shadowseer for the The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event.

gallery_2133_16545_1350616.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_788677.jpg

I also took more pictures of the starweavers. This time, it is the side not seen.

gallery_2133_16545_245984.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_138530.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_39063.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_534170.jpg

I also took some pics of a few sky weavers that I will play second fiddle to the other design.

gallery_2133_16545_90710.jpg

gallery_2133_16545_33460.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Those starweavers are pretty damn nice! I've always loved the space/nebula type paint jobs. But never attempted.

I think I'd like to try something like that one day.

Don't suppose you could give a rundown on how you painted them? Or maybe link to a tutorial if you used one?

Thanks for the kind words Greywing and Captain Coolpants. I am (perhaps overly) proud of them.

I used a hydrographic dip technique using nebula patterned film. I thought it was cheating until I had to do several of them multiple times. I really like the outcome and don't consider it cheating.

On another painting topic, here's an update on the death jester vow for The Good, The Bad, The Aeldari - Event. I hope it is obvious these are still in progress.

Really wasn't digging the original look, so decided to complete a second model. Surely one of them will count for the vow. :)

original look:

gallery_2133_16545_292089.jpg

and here's the other attempt.

gallery_2133_16545_485281.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Greywing and Captain Coolpants. I am (perhaps overly) proud of them.

I used a hydrographic dip technique using nebula patterned film. I thought it was cheating until I had to do several of them multiple times. I really like the outcome and don't consider it cheating.

Is it this stuff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173983748602

If it is, I never knew it would work on detailed minis! That's a genius life hack!

Did it ruin small details? Was there much cleaning afterwards? Going around with a toothpick or something digging it out of details and such?

I wonder if it'll work on smaller infantry models?

Edited by Captain Coolpants

@Captain Coolpants

To be brief, yes, your example is similar to what I used.

Caveats:

1. Does not work on small minis
  2. Needs a flat surface or you will have gaps or holes in coverage
  3. Remember scale - most films will not match your model scale

Process:

1. Prime your minis
  2. Prepare the dipping solution - the needs to be in a well ventilated area and you need lots of running water. A driveway is good.
  3. Prime minis again just before dipping
  4. Dip piece or pieces 
  5. Rinse minis until the chemical smell goes away

Results:

1. The surface will be textured.
  2. It will absorb a good amount of paint - consider this when considering what you want dipped

Tips:

1. don't dip the whole model - it may be better to dip select parts on their own
  2. ensure water temp
  3. make sure the water surface is flat before dipping
  4. submerge the model slowly and evenly
  5. use clips to submerge the model

That's all I have for now. I hope you find it useful.

• 4 weeks later...

More of a diary update.

I have the Death Jester for the event done. I really just need to photo him and call that done.

I did play with a Harlequin detachment within a Craftworlds list yesterday. I've taken this approach due to my slow progress. Nevertheless, I had a very convincing win against an Imperial Guard opponent. It was one of those games where everybody did exactly what they needed to do. What really helped was actually remembering all the rules and options for once. This was the third time playing this army and I'm starting to figure it out.

I expect more progress near the holidays with plenty of time off from work (but not from home).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks TrawlingCleaner.

Until 9th edition I ran Biel-Tan. Then I switched over to Iyanden given the serpents and wraith lords.

I started with soaring spite because I tend to build mech armies, but I'm wondering if frozen stars is better now with an all infantry build.

I put together 3 different ones and none of them are as designed. The best one still looks like it has a broken wrist. The worst one has his wrist bonded to the gun.

This design is very difficult for me to assemble and paint. It is up there with the AoS necromancer.

• 1 month later...

Today in the hobby I got some pics of units I've completed since my last post. I am also wrapping up my second unit of sky weavers. I hope to have pics of them later this week.

Good enough to game with. :sweat:

Comments and criticism welcome.

Troupe 1

gallery_2133_16545_1043350.jpg
Troupe 2
gallery_2133_16545_968042.jpg
Troupe 3
gallery_2133_16545_901512.jpg
Troupe 4
gallery_2133_16545_190683.jpg
Troupe 5
gallery_2133_16545_551975.jpg

Excellent work there. They look great and i bet look beautiful on the table top in a game.

Thank you! Some look good, some look ok.

I've got everything assembled painted which was my December goal. Now I need to assemble the void weavers and a remaining troupe.

• 2 weeks later...