Games Day 2003 Wolf Priest Conversion

LunchBox

The Games Day 2003 model is so nicely detailed, I was very hesitant to change anything on it. So, I decided to perform a very mild conversion, and try to add a bit more character to it. It's a very busy model, so I didn't feel the need to green-stuff any other details on it. The biggest challenge was adding the healer/apothecary items such as the Fang of Morkai, but not making him un-fluffy by over-doing it. Positioning, and sculpting on the hand was rather grueling too.

I'm happy with it, but I don't know that I really added any flare to it by changing what I changed. This will be my 40K single model entry to the Chicago GD this year. I got a lot of work done on it this weekend, so I'll post up what's painted later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip-1.jpg

Looking very sharp! Once it's painted I'm sure it wil put your doubts torest. The conversion work you did is outstanding. It's enought to add character, but not take away from the original model (just like you wanted). ^_^

to be honest, i think if you paint it in a great scheme, without NMM, it will look great..i say without nmm, because i think you could create a much better atmosphere for him with real metallics(i say this after noticing your first entries had NMM)

however space wolves were common at last years GD in europe(was it spain?) so id try to go for something different than what they did

Starks

I think he's very well done, but I feel as though he's a bit spread out. I think if his hand was resting on top of his crozius, it'd make it look MINT.

But I also understand that you'd probably rather not mess with this guy again. In that case, don't. He looks awesome as he is.

Master_Aerethos

Very killer!

My only comment would be that you may have made the right arm a bit too long. It seems as though his elbow is too far away from his shoulder. But that could also be just the angle of the photo.

Beyond that, I love what you've done. I can't wait to see some paint on him.

I think he's very well done, but I feel as though he's a bit spread out. I think if his hand was resting on top of his crozius, it'd make it look MINT.

But I also understand that you'd probably rather not mess with this guy again. In that case, don't. He looks awesome as he is.

Master_Aerethos

I actually mocked that up, and didn't like it as much. One of my main goals was to get rid of the piddly little bolt pistol in his right hand. I know exactly what you mean by him being spread out a bit, but I felt the model (stock) was thrown too far to the side he's facing (his left). I imagine that's why they leaned him back on his right leg a bit when they sculpted him; to offset this. I also noticed in this model that by changing the weapon hand, thus having both outstretched, it creates a very natural and directional symmetry: ie, his weapon is about to be slung towards where he's looking which is in line with his left hand (that I copied from the SM codex Chaplain Cassius).

to be honest, i think if you paint it in a great scheme, without NMM, it will look great..i say without nmm, because i think you could create a much better atmosphere for him with real metallics(i say this after noticing your first entries had NMM)

however space wolves were common at last years GD in europe(was it spain?) so id try to go for something different than what they did

Starks

Why do you think metallics would work better? I have to paint his "bling" gold, because the armor is a really dark blue-gray. I hate the way metallic gold looks, so I almost always use NMM, even though my NMM is still progressing. :(

I also have to give some credit to the Space Wolf forum guys...they helped me figure out how much apothecary was too much, thus the wrist-mounted Fang of Morkai blade.

I slopped some paint on it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip3-1.jpg

I only have 3 coats on the fangs, I have 3 more to go, and the armor isn't fully blended yet.

well other crits so far, you need to add more character to the face, its just a bland tone right now, one youd see on any tabletop mini, you need to give it atmosphere and life

if you want to create a cool atmosphere if you plan on adding snow, try to work in cooler colours for shades to the skin(blue works), and some reds for the cheeks and then some paler tones for the skin might help as well

next with this theme your nmm gold cant be big bright and cartoony as it would ruin the effect, youd want to keep it duller and less cartoony

you are using a desaturated blue as it stands, so i would suggest trying to continue as such(desaturated colours), using saturated colours(higher intensity ones) for details and minor things you want to stand out

next why would you have to paint it gold? theres a ton of other colours you could use for the symbol, along with other more interesting effects, marble, gem effects etc

right now im also unsure about your SENMM, the horizon lines arent parallel with each other which seems to imply there are multiple horizons? and the blending on it could be better but im not sure if its complete

Starks

well other crits so far, you need to add more character to the face, its just a bland tone right now, one youd see on any tabletop mini, you need to give it atmosphere and life

if you want to create a cool atmosphere if you plan on adding snow, try to work in cooler colours for shades to the skin(blue works), and some reds for the cheeks and then some paler tones for the skin might help as well

next with this theme your nmm gold cant be big bright and cartoony as it would ruin the effect, youd want to keep it duller and less cartoony

you are using a desaturated blue as it stands, so i would suggest trying to continue as such(desaturated colours), using saturated colours(higher intensity ones) for details and minor things you want to stand out

next why would you have to paint it gold? theres a ton of other colours you could use for the symbol, along with other more interesting effects, marble, gem effects etc

right now im also unsure about your SENMM, the horizon lines arent parallel with each other which seems to imply there are multiple horizons? and the blending on it could be better but im not sure if its complete

Starks

Very detailed! I agree with the face. There's so little room to work, but I need to add some deeper shading where his head meets the armor; I was thinking adding a graveyard earth/dark flesh 50/50 wash. As for the gold, I was thinking I would do that for the armor trim, unless I can find an article about brinze nmm...not sure what I want to do with the symbols. The armor is cool, but not SENMM...I'm trying to replicate a dull, but not completely flat armor color. The "horizon" lines are just the highlighting consistent with that of an something like an aluminum baseball bat, or a brushed nickel. (the highlighting/reflection...not the color) I haven't fully blended the armor yet either, so it should smooth out a little.

I'll keep ya'll posted!

I think he looks awesome. And you're moving in the right direction with the painting. MAN model has alot of detail... sheesh. I wonder if you could maybe model a release switch or button to take the blade out when not in combat... I'm excited to see the completion of him.

The only thing I'd say is he better not forget about the knife if ever he itches his nose. Ouch. :)

Got no much to say about this splendid work. I hope to see some more soon.

Nevertheless, I think the bannerpole with furs and bony parts distracts from the guy himself and his dynamic pose. Remember that this guy is suppose to fight in close and wearing a fluffy Christmas tree can be a pain.

Your painting skills ave very impressive, I love the work on the face especially.

Dark Sensei

well if you do bronze like that, you will kinda be forced to go the weathered route as its already heavily weathered oxidized etc

which means weathering nmm silver on your weapon, and weathering your nmm gold(if you do any) and all that jazz

could be a good learning experience

Starks

well if you do bronze like that, you will kinda be forced to go the weathered route as its already heavily weathered oxidized etc

which means weathering nmm silver on your weapon, and weathering your nmm gold(if you do any) and all that jazz

could be a good learning experience

Starks

Good point...I hate doing weathering. I think I'll go for a muted gold for the armor trim, and weapon. If I do a muted gold, with no yellow, that will probably fit quite well with the blue-gray armor. So, what should I do all the "Bling" in? If I do bone, it will too closely match the gold. Red would draw too much attention, and stick out...A nice nmm silver might fit as a good between...what do ya think?

PS: Are you not a fan of NMM...or do I stink? :)

very nice mate! Its a very good start!! So when you going to come up to Fort Worth and play alittle?

Thanks! Hey, I'm a teacher, so I'm on SPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING BREAK! PM me if you want to get a game in this week.

Good point...I hate doing weathering. I think I'll go for a muted gold for the armor trim, and weapon. If I do a muted gold, with no yellow, that will probably fit quite well with the blue-gray armor. So, what should I do all the "Bling" in? If I do bone, it will too closely match the gold. Red would draw too much attention, and stick out...A nice nmm silver might fit as a good between...what do ya think?

PS: Are you not a fan of NMM...or do I stink? ;)

its overdone in my opinion, especially in the US I have found, it suits certain schemes, and Rackham because of their art style, but they also do more than basic NMM, which is almost all ive ever seen at a US GD(basic nmm)

NIcely done metallics look far better with most scheme in my opinion, heres an example of a quick job on a weapon(non B/C complient) SIlver Metallic example

took all of 5-10 minutes and looks great, everything you see was painted, the light isnt reflecting any differences(so the tip is mithril so its brightest

i havent figured out dark metals like bronzes and such yet, but gold...

dwarf bronze, shinning gold, highlight with burnished gold(and for extra bright gold add in mithril and highlight again), shade with chesnut+purple ink for medium shading, shade with VMC smoke glaze+purple for darkest shades, you can do some scorched brown washes as well...

the washes are controlled as in placed for shades, not just used to cover the entire colour/area, they are extra thin so will require about 12 layers minimum for both gold and silver

rust all you need is browns and one orange, the orange will make it look like rust while the browns will create the depth, too much orange is bad however, just need little dots, vermin brown is good, if you dont have it some fiery orange mixed into brown works

as to the nmm gold if you were to do it, snakebite leather+white and black is all you need, you can still do a bone for the symbol, you can do with grey shades..or do a brown shaded one and make it look like ivory

you need your models to have something to make them standout, something unique or at least something that emphasizes your skills, its looking not bad so far, ill wait and see how you do more to say anything else :blink:

good luck!

Starks

• 2 weeks later...
I've been doing some serious experimentation, and came up with a very nice muted gold. I'll post pics ASAP. I think it's far enough away from the bone color that I can do the iconography in it. I was thinking of a black/red marble though...could be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, here's the progress. I retouched his face, and made it a bit deeper. I also straightened the reflection lines on the armor, and blended them a bit more. Looking at the picture, there's acouple of spots on the nmm gold that I need to further blend, but I'm pretty happy with him so far.

I still haven't come up with a color I want for the wings on the skulls. Suggestions are appreciated. I wanted to do a marble look, but the working area is a bit too small to achieve any consistency. I think gold would be boring, but I'm thinking about nmm silver. It can't be too bold a color, so red is out...I'm stuck.

I'll probably do the pelts and fur last in a gray/brown.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpgold-1.jpg

not only is that conversion top notch, but the paint job is just outstanding. dude! seriously!

that model is a contender for the best painted model *I* have ever seen. kudos to you.

(how did i miss this thread to begin with :devil: )

Archived