Games Day 2003 Wolf Priest Conversion

LunchBox

• 2 weeks later...
Superb work! I am constantly amazed (and intimidated) by even the simplest GS arm redos and such - I'd love to try, but boy, it's hard to get over that "but what if I screw up?" fear at the start. This is an incredible figure, though, and very deserving of an award. You might inspire me to get back to my Wolves yet...

I wrestled with it for a couple of weeks. I didn't want to take the risk of ruining an awsome model. Sometimes you have to line up your cutter, close your eyes, and go for it!

I've gotten more done, but I'm getting intimidated by the pelts. It's kinda hard to re-do those if ya screw up. I tried searching for a tutorial, but nothing was really to my liking. Any good links?

what part of the pelts is intimidating you?

David Rodriguez's 40 single entry

not the best pic but might be enough to give you an idea, if i can find better ones ill send the links

ive been experimenting with colour(its the best way to go) heres another attempt: SKaven I have blues, reds, purples, yellows, greens, and none of those are the colours i painted(nmm silver, brown and sandy beige)

Im just fooling around with colours, this isnt for GD, or anything, and Ill probably seel it to cover the expense of the P3 paint i just bought(worthwhile investment id look into that line, awesome line)

so basicly place yours colours, add yours highlights, then shade, then you can add thin glazes of tints, or just use colour to shade, its no more difficult than using a dark brown, its just a different colour...i like to mix the colour into my original colour to tone it down(so its not red over brown, its brown with some shades of red)

break those fears, and get to er!

Starks

what part of the pelts is intimidating you?

David Rodriguez's 40 single entry

not the best pic but might be enough to give you an idea, if i can find better ones ill send the links

ive been experimenting with colour(its the best way to go) heres another attempt: SKaven I have blues, reds, purples, yellows, greens, and none of those are the colours i painted(nmm silver, brown and sandy beige)

Im just fooling around with colours, this isnt for GD, or anything, and Ill probably seel it to cover the expense of the P3 paint i just bought(worthwhile investment id look into that line, awesome line)

so basicly place yours colours, add yours highlights, then shade, then you can add thin glazes of tints, or just use colour to shade, its no more difficult than using a dark brown, its just a different colour...i like to mix the colour into my original colour to tone it down(so its not red over brown, its brown with some shades of red)

break those fears, and get to er!

Starks

Starks...canine legs generally change from the natural coat color, to a lighter color (foreleg, to aft). Envision a leg like a cylinder, say, a paper towel roll, and you split it from top to bottom, and laid it flat. The side edges in would be that lighter color. Assuming my painting skills can pull it off, would it be distinguishable as a natural pelt color change, or would people/judges look at it and wonder what the hell I did? In real life, it's a very stark contrast from the natural pelt color to the underleg color. If I make a sharp break, and heavy contrast, it may clash, and look choppy. If I blend it, and "dumb down" the lighter, outside edges, it may look like I'm a punk who went crazy with a dry-brush. Should I abandon this idea alltogether? Is alltogether one, or two words?

Enough drinks...time for bed.

Starks...canine legs generally change from the natural coat color, to a lighter color (foreleg, to aft). Envision a leg like a cylinder, say, a paper towel roll, and you split it from top to bottom, and laid it flat. The side edges in would be that lighter color. Assuming my painting skills can pull it off, would it be distinguishable as a natural pelt color change, or would people/judges look at it and wonder what the hell I did? In real life, it's a very stark contrast from the natural pelt color to the underleg color. If I make a sharp break, and heavy contrast, it may clash, and look choppy. If I blend it, and "dumb down" the lighter, outside edges, it may look like I'm a punk who went crazy with a dry-brush. Should I abandon this idea alltogether? Is alltogether one, or two words?

would you like me to make an attempt? i have a bunch of dudes with fur cloaks primed and ready...and then describe how it was done if you like it, if it works?

i know my idea works i just cant explain it because i havent done it myself(fully) would you like me to try and do this? or would you rather try something else?

Starks

Gota admit I thought you had ruined a rare model But after seeing it with paint I take it all back, It looks great.

would you like me to make an attempt? i have a bunch of dudes with fur cloaks primed and ready...and then describe how it was done if you like it, if it works?

i know my idea works i just cant explain it because i havent done it myself(fully) would you like me to try and do this? or would you rather try something else?

Starks

Yeah...gve it a shot, and let me see what's going on. I know I keep bugging ya, but I've never done fur before.

ok i was just playing around a bit, and the problems arising are: the cloak im using is not realistic, theres too much fur in relation to the size of the head...theres no shape to it(as in there is a magical supply of fur no shape for the belly or limbs) and this causes problems because you cant use the colour to create the shape

next is colour selection, if you dont get the colours close to the proper tones, you lose the wolf effect..ive found them difficult to get but im using limited P3 paints, they are very greyish, and that beige is tricky(mix of yellow, grey, red and brown)

il keep trying, maybe switching to GW so i can tyr some other colours

the BIG thing with it however is creating depth everywhere, you will have several shades of colour with transitions, you need them all to have depth, but they cant have the same colours in the shades as others(so red needs a different shade than say the dark blue)

if i get a result i like ill post it

well this looks a bit more interesting, but i didnt spend enough time for it to be a games day level...i can try and get better pics if needed, the colour is a little duller, and not as white..this will give you an idea though

My Examples1

My Examples2

Lunca Reference

the transitions from blue to beigeyness is a grey mix, since all the colours are greyish it transitions well...the muddying of the edges add a lot to it as well

what mine lacks: more depth, i basicly just have like one or two colours shading which isnt enough to make it jump out...and my highlights arent popping, but i couldnt do much more because my brushes dont have nice tips(still dont have my new ones grr)

there are some spots of white but the photos arent the best, theres also some red scattered around in between grey and beige

so basicly its doable just like I mention, looks pretty neat(especially with better colour placement and a better sculpt), it just requies the time to make it look really good

Starks

Ahhh...progress at last. I got his Crozius almost finished last night. I still need to blend the large sides of the weapon's head. I did a fiery marble look on the handle, which consisted of painting the detail, applying 3 glazes, re-highlighting the detail, and applying 2 more glazes. I figured this way, it might give it a bit more realism and depth, as the details in marble are actually below the polished surface. As you see, I also tackled a bit of the fur. The pics don't really pick out the glazes, but there is U-blue, Shadow Gray, Graveyard Earth, Scortched Brown, and a tiny bit of bluish green I mixed up. I also got his shoulder pads done, and the inside of his cloak almost done. It needs another couple of highlights to make it pop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip8-1.jpg

Lovely stuff!

I just think that the armour looks a little, well, wierd. I think it's the lighting effect that makes it look that way. It's technically very well done but I don't think it works particularly well. I think marines are better suited to what would be considered 'normal' with the highlights showing where the light comes from.

M

looking good, one thing i suggest, maybe a few darker shades of glazes/washes in the shadows of the fur, it will help bring out the detail a bit more(like the spot near the paw on the left side where it bends and that area itself is mostly shadowed, if you darkened it it would make the rest pop a bit more) so like maybe chaos black mixed with shadow grey, or scorched brown mixed with blue

but theres definetly a lot more life in the fur now

the one thing im iffy on is the inside of his cloak, i think if it was a lighter shade(like more browny skintone ish) the fur would stand out a bit more as would the crozius, right now i think it steals a bit from the other colours because its such a bold contrast(and in a large area) however you might like its balance, im not sure

Starks

looking good, one thing i suggest, maybe a few darker shades of glazes/washes in the shadows of the fur, it will help bring out the detail a bit more(like the spot near the paw on the left side where it bends and that area itself is mostly shadowed, if you darkened it it would make the rest pop a bit more) so like maybe chaos black mixed with shadow grey, or scorched brown mixed with blue

but theres definetly a lot more life in the fur now

the one thing im iffy on is the inside of his cloak, i think if it was a lighter shade(like more browny skintone ish) the fur would stand out a bit more as would the crozius, right now i think it steals a bit from the other colours because its such a bold contrast(and in a large area) however you might like its balance, im not sure

Starks

I was going to make it a natural suede color, but I opted for the darker red. Like I said, I need a bit more highlighting on it, but not too much, so it's not overpowering; also why I won't be doing any freehand on it (like you mentioned a while back...I see your point). I do like the contrast it delivers, and I was thinking a more natural skin/leather look would be too warm. I've tried to keep the colors "cold" on this model, which is why I 'dumbed down' the gold, and the reds fade to almost black.

Maro - You are correct, but I didn't get knee deep with the directional lighting because frankly I'm not that good yet!

I need a name for this piece, to letter onto a plinth.

I love it! I think you have a good chance of snagging a daemon. One thing that looks wierd to me is the knife, your gold on the crozius is blended superbly, but the knife looks kind of blotchy(?) but it is a very tiny detail on an amazing mini! Also i love your blue, he looks like a space viking, not a space puppy.

By the way, thanks alot for the NMM gold recipe! B)

Hi Lunchbox!

I was wondering mate on your Space Wolf Runepriest that you are currently working on.

I have 2 questions:

1. How did you paint the fur?

2. How did you paint the red?

Anyways thanks mate!

V

The fur:

I originally sprayed the model with a medium gray primer, then washed with a charcoal color. From there, I dry brushed Codex Gray on the fur, then Ghosty Gray on the outer edges, and Bleached bone on the middle. I then added layers of ultra thin washes using the colors U-blue, Shadow Gray, Graveyard Earth, Scortched Brown, and a tiny bit of bluish green I mixed up.

The red:

Weapon: I based it with scorched brown over the same gray/charcoal from above. I then added Coat d' armss Brick red in wide streaks, then added thin layers of Blood Red in smaller streaks. I topped that with some orange in thin lines. I then added a glaze of Scorched Brown, then Brick Red, then Charcoal. I went back with thinned blood red, and successivley highlighted up to a light orange. Finally, I added another glaze of Scorched/Brick mixed, then charcoal.

Cloak: It sucks. Similarly using Scorched, Brick, Charcoal, but highlighting up with Blood mixed with Tanned Flesh, until reaching just Tanned Flesh. I need to add more to it, because it's dull.

The hammer: I think the angle works for the pose he's in...like hes "cocked back" ready to swing.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the stinkin fur done. With all the glazes and highlights, it took 3 days of work, with a lot of drying time in between. I also went back and blended some Komando Khaki/mix in on the cloak, and a few more glazes to the pelts in the front, including imperial purple and charcoal...along with some other spot fixes. I have another 4-6 hours on the back pack and I think it will be pretty much done.

I'll try to get pics up this afternoon if I can.

Here we go, I think I'll darken up the folds a bit, and add a bit more highlighting to the sharpest edges, but it's not bad. I used highlights of Komando Khaki, Bleached Bone, Space Wolf Gray, and Ghostly Gray. Glazes include Brick red, Scorched Brown, Charadon Granite, Hormagaunt Purple (both GW Foundation Paint), Midnight Blue, U-Blue, Imperial Purple, Shadow Gray, Graveyard Earth, and Liche Purple. The glazes are barely noticeable even in person, but you'd notice if they weren't there. I tried to keep brown tones on one side, and blue tones on the other. The purples were used in the middle of the folds to blend a bit more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpfin1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpfin-1.jpg

With the exception of a few minor tweaks, the model is done. I still have to do the scenic base, but I think I can knock that out this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpfin2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpfin5-1.jpg

Archived