Games Day 2003 Wolf Priest Conversion

LunchBox

i think the armour still needs more contrast to really pop....whats the plan for the wolf pelt? i suggest adding colour to it, keeping it plain grey+bright+dark is boring and really dulls the model i think, blues purples greens browns, all would help liven it up...or do it brown with colours mentioned

his hair shouldnt be the same colour as the fur in my opinion

i think this model is best without freehand, but without using lots of colour, its too dull, uneventful etc

it more or less looks like a very nicely painted tabletop mini, the only thing currently that says otherwise is the nmm gold, which in my opinion is excellent

as for thw wings, i suggest doing them different colours, bone for the belt maybe, and then maybe nmm silver or something

PS, as usual not meant to dishearten, but to help you win!!

Starks

It's awesome, I like your painting style!

Keep up the good work, and the conversion is damn cool, you have not ruined anything! Nice take on the Fang of Morkai.

Have you painted anything else recently?

Have you painted anything else recently?

I could reach through the computer and smack you right now... ;)

The problem is; I must have some combination of ADD and OCD. So, I start a project, then start another...then another. Then I get stressed out because I didn't finish the first one, so I work on it some more...then I "need a break", so I start another project to relax me. However, I'll spend a couple of hours doing simple arm/weapon swaps, sanding moulding lines, before I ever greenstuff anything. So when I get distracted away from something...I really get distracted!

Therefor, I have not finished:

-Wolf Priest (for Chicago GD)

-Templar Champion

-Anti-Aircraft LandRaider (also for Chicago GD <open category>...you should see this thing)

-Tyranid Hunter squad (even more Chicago GD)

-Converted scout Sgt

-DIY chapter (Liberators) Veterans squad using special models like Cortez, GD 2005 Captain, OOP techmarine, and others...all of which are converted.

-3 more speeders

and 2 other models for Chicago that are not 40K.

These are what I currently have on the table...I have about 12 more projects in the built/half built stage.

As for the wings...what about a light, icy blue?

Starks: can you get me a link to something showing the pelt coloring you describe?

*Your advice has been awsome.

ahhhh icy blue, that would work

as to the fur..this is a bit more extreme version but...this is Mathieu Fontaines Daemon Winning Rhinox:

Scroll down

i personally did not notice all the colours that much in person, they still show that much, but it just looked so awesome i couldnt care less :o hahahah, so ya, he has all varieties of colours in there, you can pick it apart and think about which colours he used and play around

for the most part, as i havent asked him, this is what i think has happened: purple or blues mixed in for darks, reds and purples for the redish hair, greens and yellow for the greenish hair...there will be other mixing to get certain tones, but thats a general idea

at first glance you might think green hair?!?! but seriously, when you can see the model as a whole(not just angles from photos) it adds life and character without looking strange and unnatural

hope that helps B)

Starks

i'd second the blue...that rhinow link was sweet...my fav CMON mini the guy used black, white, and blue..freakin phenomenal...

your rune priest made me put mine in the dip for the ole new do!! lookin great man...cant wait to see more pics

starks..i finally realised that u are a nicer guy than i thought u were initially:) youve been spot on with a lot of your colour commentary

i'd second the blue...that rhinow link was sweet...my fav CMON mini the guy used black, white, and blue..freakin phenomenal...

your rune priest made me put mine in the dip for the ole new do!! lookin great man...cant wait to see more pics

starks..i finally realised that u are a nicer guy than i thought u were initially:) youve been spot on with a lot of your colour commentary

haha, ya, im sometimes pretty blunt, but if you hang around long enough, you will notice I usually try and give the best information and suggestions I can <_<

Starks

One question.

Why grey armour?

SW Wolf Priests wear black armour, the same as Chaplains.

As to the wolf pelts, remember that wolves, by and large, do not have brown fur - at least, not like that Rhinox!

Wolf fur is usually a mix of 'whites/greys' moving in a slow transition to a small area/line of darker colour (grey, brown, blue/black) down the spine, and the head can have quite a mix of colours following the transition above:

http://ukwolf.org/uk-wolf/wolves/?PHPSESSI...fi4s39l6cbmmd83

Difficult to do (I know from my own lousy attempts), but when done right, really brings out/compliments the SW blue grey armour, and even better on black.

Seleucus

I hate him... :tu:

Seriously...I live a ways out from anyone else that does 40K...there's a GW store a bit over an hour away...but c'mon. All I ever get is, "that's coooool", etc. I never get, "here's what's working, and here's what's not". When I lived in St Louis, I did get that, and went from a horrible painter, to a good painter. In fact, I saw my best growth as a painter, from a guy who sprayed his Templars black, and lined the edges with codex gray...that was it. His army looked so clean from 10 feet away, that it gave me the idea to do the same, but blend up to it. Now I'm trying to go from a good painter, to a great painter. I may never get there, but the point is, all it takes is someone else to force you to look at something differently; that's how we learn.

@seleucus, when i showed the rhinox, i mentioned it was an exxagerated version, obviously you keep the tones a little more subtle, and change the colours up to your respective furs

@bucket of lunch(lunchbox)....in his link, i like lunca and alba

theres a lot of blue in lunca and darker colours that might work well with your scheme, while alba has more browny colours, that could contrast nicely(lighter vs darker)

Starks

@seleucus, when i showed the rhinox, i mentioned it was an exxagerated version, obviously you keep the tones a little more subtle, and change the colours up to your respective furs

@bucket of lunch(lunchbox)....in his link, i like lunca and alba

theres a lot of blue in lunca and darker colours that might work well with your scheme, while alba has more browny colours, that could contrast nicely(lighter vs darker)

Starks

That's funny, I blew up a pic of...LUNCA; I like her too. I was thinking: on the foreleg pelts, what if I made the outer edges of fur nearly white, in keeping with the naturale fur transition from darker up top, to the lighter underside. In nature, the transition is stark, as there is a clearly defined line, and not blended or gradual. I fear if I attempt this, it will look funny, as it will be out of scale, and not what people are used to seeing. Just a thought. I think it would be awsome if I can pull it off, but my skills may not be there yet. Lastly, does the nmm gold need more shading? The pics 'dumbs it down' a bit, it's quite subtle and smooth in person. The idea was to make a brassy-gold that was unpolished...I hope I got, or get that out of it.

That's funny, I blew up a pic of...LUNCA; I like her too. I was thinking: on the foreleg pelts, what if I made the outer edges of fur nearly white, in keeping with the naturale fur transition from darker up top, to the lighter underside. In nature, the transition is stark, as there is a clearly defined line, and not blended or gradual. I fear if I attempt this, it will look funny, as it will be out of scale, and not what people are used to seeing. Just a thought. I think it would be awsome if I can pull it off, but my skills may not be there yet. Lastly, does the nmm gold need more shading? The pics 'dumbs it down' a bit, it's quite subtle and smooth in person. The idea was to make a brassy-gold that was unpolished...I hope I got, or get that out of it.

well the easiest way is glazing...you can go from dark blue to white very easily while having a bit of transition through glazing, it just takes awhile and you need patience..i will say this, you might go insane painting each strand with layers, but fur...when done right, with good time, is by far one of the nicest parts to any mini

ill show you, by showing you my dwarf:

again different colours, but the hair is orange...shaded with red purple and blue, it races up to bright orange quickly however but it still loooks blended(of course not 100% smooth because i still cant break my lazyness) all it is is just glazes..that entire model is painted with washes and glazes

A Dwarf WIP by ME

so with lunca, the main colours would be blue for darkest shades(wherever they need to go), purple for softer shades(between the blueish dark colour and the beige), red shades for the beige around/shadowing the folds(look at his neck)

other useful colour i would think: bleached bone for highlights, maybe bronzed flesh to tint some colours a bit yellowy, codex grey and black(add in some blue for the dark fur colour) and maybe some brown in that mix too, you dont want it too grey, too blue or too brown...kommando khaki and graveyard seem to be the browns of choice along with snakebite

its a daunting task, but only with real challenges can you say you have improved or not

and i personally think the nmm gold looks phenomical(hmm must be a new word....phenominal!!), its subtle but has contrast, it really looks metallic..i dont have the model in front of me, so you may need a bit more darkness in some of the shadowed areas(just to increase the contrast elsewhere on the model...people often forget that part of contrast)

Starks

Love the conversion work on the figure, I do have one reservation however ! I thought the banner pole was a little too "busy", I really don't go in for that sort of thing in general though and I know alot of people do so it's just a case of what I like really, but the figure and the paint job are stunning so far and maybe the banner pole might over do it ? I feel really bad now, sat in my tower nay-saying, sorry !

Love the conversion work on the figure, I do have one reservation however ! I thought the banner pole was a little too "busy", I really don't go in for that sort of thing in general though and I know alot of people do so it's just a case of what I like really, but the figure and the paint job are stunning so far and maybe the banner pole might over do it ? I feel really bad now, sat in my tower nay-saying, sorry !

Dude...I hate banners period. But...I think I need something to set him apart, and draw a passer-by in for a closer look. I also felt that the character is somewhat akin to a shaman, so he needs some goofy, almost tribal stuff on him.

I actually agree with you, and don't have a single banner on my actual army!

Here's more:

I decided to do the armor wings in bone, and the "bling" in an icy blue with gold trim. I applied 4 different washes, and 6 thin coats of paint to the "icy blue" icon. For the hair locks, I started with Reaper rust, and washed with scorched brown. I then glazed a brick red onto the locks, then highlighted up, and then spot-glazed a few areas with a dark red for some contrast. The locks are fuzzy in the pics, but they're actually quite eye-catching in person. I also retouched a spot on the face, the nmm gold in spots, some armor, and a couple of the skulls.

Next, I'm gonna tackle the shoulder pads, which I think I'll do a deep, dark red, as to contrast the nmm trim. I think yellow would be too close to the gold, and black sucks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip5-1.jpg

raw a passer-byDude...I hate banners period. But...I think I need something to set him apart, and d in for a closer look. I also felt that the character is somewhat akin to a shaman, so he needs some goofy, almost tribal stuff on him.

I actually agree with you, and don't have a single banner on my actual army!

Here's more:

I decided to do the armor wings in bone, and the "bling" in an icy blue with gold trim. I applied 4 different washes, and 6 thin coats of paint to the "icy blue" icon. For the hair locks, I started with Reaper rust, and washed with scorched brown. I then glazed a brick red onto the locks, then highlighted up, and then spot-glazed a few areas with a dark red for some contrast. The locks are fuzzy in the pics, but they're actually quite eye-catching in person. I also retouched a spot on the face, the nmm gold in spots, some armor, and a couple of the skulls.

Next, I'm gonna tackle the shoulder pads, which I think I'll do a deep, dark red, as to contrast the nmm trim. I think yellow would be too close to the gold, and black sucks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/wpwip5-1.jpg

ooops, messed that up ! fair comment on the banner, I totally see your point !

Your colours, for the gold, what are they? I need to find a recipe for NMM gold that isn't as yellow as everything else, and i love your technique for it.

It's only a few colors: Charcoal wash (90/10 to 80/20 Black/Kommando Khaki + water), VMC Snakebitten Leather (same as GW's Snakebite), GW Vomit Brown, GW Bleached Bone. A generic ivory (50/50 Bleached Bone and White) may be used for studs, and extreme light reflections, but it must be thinned.

For the base: I start with VMC Snakebittten , and apply 2 thin base coats, making sure to end the brush strokes toward whatever end will be lighter; usually the bottom. I then wash it with a very thin custom charcoal wash.

Highlighting:

1.) thinned Snakebitten over the entire area again, but after applying it, I nearly clean the brush, and wet-scrub the side that will be darkest; usually the top. In other words, I wipe some of the paint back off while it's still wet, with a wet brush.

2.) more thinned Snakebitten on the bottom 2/3 of the area. This lightens up nicely.

3.) thinned vomit brown on the bottom half, let dry, then another thin coat of vomit brown on the bottome 1/3...also lightens up nicely. *Vomit brown is a very strong color, so make sure it's thinned...it's better to do 4 thin coats, than get the first one too thick.

4.) thinned (very) Bleached Bone on the bottom 1/4, then another thinned line on the bottom edge. As with Vomit Brown, it is a very strong color, so make sure it's thinned.

<sidenotes> I see a lot of painters put a nice smooth color on, and immediately skip to the next color to highlight. You can achieve very rich colors by using multiple coats. You have to remember that the paint you are applying is thinned, and allows the darker undercoat to bleed through a bit. Many times, the desired effect can be gained by adding another coat of the same color. If you doubt this, ask the pro's that paint unhelmeted heads/faces.

Also, in the middle of step 3, you can add an ultra thin glaze of Bad Moon Yellow to "brighten" it up, but it must be so thin, you think nothing happened. It will show itself in later highlights. You can actually add an ultra thin glaze of any color you want...experiment a little with greens, purples, reds, etc...but the key here in THIN!

Lastly, this is the color range and proceedure I prefer. I have tried a dozen different ways, and settled on this. It's my preference only...tweak it to fit your liking.

Thanks for all the great compliments!!!

Superb work! I am constantly amazed (and intimidated) by even the simplest GS arm redos and such - I'd love to try, but boy, it's hard to get over that "but what if I screw up?" fear at the start. This is an incredible figure, though, and very deserving of an award. You might inspire me to get back to my Wolves yet...

Archived