Quest for the Golden Demon - What's to Come

LunchBox

Really nice stuff Lunch, the Castigator is looking excellent, as well as the masters. :)

Thanks...we gonna see you in Chicago this year (again)?

Yup, Im helping run a club table this year, so you may see me around.

As some of you may know, I put the Castigator on hold. I will finish it, but not for the Demon comp. There were too many errors that would require stripping and desassembling the model to fix...and I fear I'll run out of time.

So, I spent some time last night on the Librarian, started the weapon, started the back of the cape, and touched up a few spots on the armor. The cape still has work to be done on it, but it's coming along nicely I think. My shade colors seem to be fading a lot after I glaze them in, so I'm having to add more layers than expected. I'm also open to freehand suggestions...and I suck at freehand!

I've also decided that I like this model well enough, and it's pleasing enough to look at that I will make this my 40K single entry. That will make my open entry 3 Masters of the Chapter.

Anyway, here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/libbiewip3-1.jpg

Good choice I say. Awesome work Lunchbox. If you don't want to go at it too much with freehand, you could do some golden scroll work in the bottom right corner (on his right side) as in NMM golden eagle an golden embroidery branching out along the edges of the cloak. You could do it very small. It would add a lot to the look of the cloak in my opinion, but it wouldn't be like an insane picture on the back of his cloak.

Maybe a big ultramarine's U on the cape. I feel as if there are enough aquillas on the model as is.

Might be a good idea if he was an Ultra...but I think I have it figured out to add a horned skull to the back of the cape...fitting the Librarian symbol. I think off of that I'll add some scroll work...we'll see.

Tonight has been a great one, as all my blends seem to have been effortless, and I was able to make a lot of progress. I think I can have the Librarian done in a week at this point.

Woo! Go Lunchbox!

The horned skull would look interesting for sure but don't you feel it would be out of place with your army?

My girlfriend seems to think that it looks good as is though it may seem bland. And I kind of agree. Something simple yet... I will have to think more on this. Happy Painting.

=D=

I think maybe a bit of filigree along the bottom of the cape would be enough, rather than the horned skull. Maybe in the blue/purple of the armour, or in the gold of the staff. Either way I am sure you'll do an excellent job.

Just out of interest. Have you ever considered making a movie of you painting a mini from start to finish, to show us noobs how it's done? Your tutorials are fantastic and so are your photos, but words and still images can only show so much, and with skill like yours words just don't quite cover it. :huh:

I think maybe a bit of filigree along the bottom of the cape would be enough, rather than the horned skull. Maybe in the blue/purple of the armour, or in the gold of the staff. Either way I am sure you'll do an excellent job.

Just out of interest. Have you ever considered making a movie of you painting a mini from start to finish, to show us noobs how it's done? Your tutorials are fantastic and so are your photos, but words and still images can only show so much, and with skill like yours words just don't quite cover it. :P

videos require a solid quality video cam, and somewhere to post them, photo bucket only accepts 10minute maximum, which means he'd need to get a website and load onto the server

they are also hard because the videos would be hours long, which means a mega sized file

videos require a solid quality video cam, and somewhere to post them, photo bucket only accepts 10minute maximum, which means he'd need to get a website and load onto the server

they are also hard because the videos would be hours long, which means a mega sized file

Whilst it would add to the work load, I am sure we would all love to see 10 minute sections of Lunchbox at work (Maybe 10 mins on glazes, 10 on highlights, 10 on NMM (SE or otherwise) etc.)

:(

T

Just out of interest. Have you ever considered making a movie of you painting a mini from start to finish, to show us noobs how it's done? Your tutorials are fantastic and so are your photos, but words and still images can only show so much, and with skill like yours words just don't quite cover it. :(

I think ya'll might be right...the horned skull may be a bit over the top...especially with my limited freehand abilities. I think a gold design on the front, and a blueish on the back...just enough to show the judges I care. ;)

As for a video...I've thought of it, but there's one tiny little problem; it's taking me about 60+ hours each to do these models. I'd really have to condense the content down. The only possible way I could do it is by making a disc...the download time and file size would prevent anything but a hard copy. The other pesky little problem is that I live in the "sticks"...I only have dial up. ;)

=]D[=: The librarian won't stay in my army...he'll be headed for ebay after GD Chicago.

Starks...you're a bit silent these days...am I getting better, or are you getting tired of coaching...or even worse...now that you're a multiple Golden Demon god...have you resigned to watch all of us fledglings wallow in our failures? ;)

=]D[=: The librarian won't stay in my army...he'll be headed for ebay after GD Chicago.

Gasp! :lol:

Well... Do what ya have to do I guess. Idk... Maybe I'm just silly in my thoughts that if my army looked that dang good I'd hold onto it forever! ;)

Ah I'm sure whatever you come up with look good. Just leave the pointy skulls to the traitors. Lol...

(p.s. I Like how you put my sig down... Might just add the ] and [ in there. Looks good. ^_^ )

=]D[= ;)

Here's more progress on the Librarian. The weapon seems a bit flat to me...any suggestions are welcome on that. I just started the book before I went to bed last night.

I also reworked the base to include a rotting, demonic head. The base will include a putrid soup of nasty water...I've never done a real water base before, so we'll see how it turns out. I bougt some clear resin to try it out...Golden Demons is all about pushing yourself, and trying new things!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/libbiewip4-1.jpg

Quit rushing me, damnit! :)

I'm on my 4th backpack idea...I got it filed and sanded yesterday, and after all the deliberation I went through, a standard pack with a banner will do the trick. I had a bunch of cooler banners to use, but they were all 'flowing' the wrong direction...so i had to choose a blank, boring one. I'll have to freehand some goodness on it...bleh.

But...again...the Demons are all about trying new things. I'll keep you posted.

the shoulder holding the book looks like it might do with more shadow along the bottom

the skull on the staff could use more tones, i think i see the yellows "reflecting" on it, but maybe some more colour to break up the plain tone it has currently and help define the shape a bit more...some blues and browns(red or green browns or orangey)

othewise looks good

And just for the hell of it...I'm entering Sheriff Bart (the wonder-dread) in 40K Vehicle. The painting sucks, and half the world's seen it already...but it's free to enter, so why not:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/bart.jpg

Archived