Quest for the Golden Demon - What's to Come

LunchBox

4 words.

HURRY UP DAMN IT! :)

I cant wait to see the tutorial. the base came out nice. the squad came out excellent. if it doesn't make first cut the judges are smoking crack. look forward to seeing this in person. when you wanna do that painting class again?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been working on non-pa'd stuff for a couple of months, but began work on more Marine stuff last night.

There will be pics...oh yes...there will be pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/master1-1.jpg

More progress...I still need to tidy up some spots on the armor, and fix those stupid fingers that look like a 3 year old painted them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/master2wip-1.jpg

Update: Most of the center mass and armor is done, and the cape is done with the exception of freehand. I like the way the colors turned out on the cape, as I didn't want to go with white, so the light gray (I couldn't help it) was a good match for the PURPLE (lol) armor. The light source is 10 o'clock forward, thus accounting for the start contrast between some of the folds. I actually hung one of my wife's dresses up to where the light was about the same, and studies it for a while. The axe blade is half way done, but it was late when I stopped, so it only has 8-9 coats, with at least that many to go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/masterwip3-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Looks great Lunchbox, very smooth.

What stages did you go through to achive the result on the armour?

Thanks! Over the light gray primer, I washed on Reaper Pro Amethyst, the built the colors up with VGC Violet, Ral Partha something or other purple, then GW Foundation Hormogaunt Purple, then a light blueish purple from VMC, and the final edges and sharpest highlights were VGC Ghost Grey. It's about 30-40 layers of glazing.

Wow. I wish I could paint like that :lol:

no its more like i wish i had the patience to paint like that. props Lunchbox. you have (as stated earlier) inspired me to pick up the old brush and do some more painting (the only thing is that i ran out of the colors that i need to paint my army with so i have to wait till 2morrow to go to the shop and get some more *cries*)

cheers

BLARGAG!!!

Wow, I was afraid by the time I got done reading the 12 pages the painting would be over.

To start I would like to say that your painting is impressive. (ridiculously so)

I'm not sure if its the picture but the light grey you used for the cape seems almost lilac in color. It just strikes me as off... Hopefully your freehand work will save the cape from blending in.

And last but not least... The base, he's standing on an i-beam... Albeit dramatic its very out of place with the model. The man is rather large and bulkish but he's standing on a not so stable beam. If you've ever had to work roofing you'd know what I mean. The beam kinda looks like its about to roll backwards on him.

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy here, I'm just being honest.

=D=

Wow, I was afraid by the time I got done reading the 12 pages the painting would be over.

To start I would like to say that your painting is impressive. (ridiculously so)

I'm not sure if its the picture but the light grey you used for the cape seems almost lilac in color. It just strikes me as off... Hopefully your freehand work will save the cape from blending in.

And last but not least... The base, he's standing on an i-beam... Albeit dramatic its very out of place with the model. The man is rather large and bulkish but he's standing on a not so stable beam. If you've ever had to work roofing you'd know what I mean. The beam kinda looks like its about to roll backwards on him.

=D=

its suprising sometimes what education can do to an opinion :lol:

he is completely right, and while most will miss it, or not care...its something that can make a difference to some people....its in the details

im still waiting for updates on that ork and the daemon :blink:(obviously on CT not here!)

Starks

=D=

its suprising sometimes what education can do to an opinion ;)

he is completely right, and while most will miss it, or not care...its something that can make a difference to some people....its in the details

im still waiting for updates on that ork and the daemon :)(obviously on CT not here!)

Starks

I don't understand your first two points...

Also, did I go overboard on the purple glazes to the cape?

I honestly dont feel the mini is ruined at all, but you can definitely see the glazes on the cape, I recently did the same thing on red cloak and it drove me nuts. However use some extensive freehand and it should be covered up.

Overall though mate, good job!

my first two points are simple: those who are educated on something see it before anyone else

he had experience standing on i-beams it sounds, while the heavy ones are quite stable, in genereal they appear as a weak shape to be standing on...looks like it should topple over

and what i mean is its small details like this that makes a master...just things to think about for the future

the cape is fine...most things are lost in photo angles

your nmm gold got better on this piece, shoulder pad guard and backback look great, some other things are a bit off but oh well

as for freehand, i dont think his cape is well suited for anything fancy, and might be best left alone or with a simple symbol...it will be mostly lost in the folds anyways

Starks

my first two points are simple: those who are educated on something see it before anyone else

he had experience standing on i-beams it sounds, while the heavy ones are quite stable, in genereal they appear as a weak shape to be standing on...looks like it should topple over

and what i mean is its small details like this that makes a master...just things to think about for the future

the cape is fine...most things are lost in photo angles

your nmm gold got better on this piece, shoulder pad guard and backback look great, some other things are a bit off but oh well

as for freehand, i dont think his cape is well suited for anything fancy, and might be best left alone or with a simple symbol...it will be mostly lost in the folds anyways

Starks

I gotcha... I think the I-beam is ok, as I too have worked in the construction/project management area, and been on hundreds of roofs...although none of them had a scrap I-beam sitting on them :)

As for the cape, the only freehand I was planning was a mild edge trim like Chris's slayer sword winner...you know, just a subtle deco-lining near the edges.

haha ive stood on them too, they just "look" unstable, unless they are the skinnier less made for holding up buildings kind, which are kinda tippy :(

basicly he just means it looks kinda awkward him standing on it like that, and i kinda agree, but its done, so we'll leave it at that

the freehand idea is cool, thats all you need, doing more on him wouldnt really fit with the simplified scheme and the shapes of the cape/piece

grrrr when will my forgeworld show up!?!?!? i wanna painnnttt themmmmm

Starks

Excellent stuff there Lunch, just browsed through all the pages I've missed. The master looks very nice, I might have to steal the censer idea, as I was looking for something to put in my model's hand as the giant storm shield is a little to big for me.

I also like the demon your painting over on CT, really nice skin work.

Excellent stuff there Lunch, just browsed through all the pages I've missed. The master looks very nice, I might have to steal the censer idea, as I was looking for something to put in my model's hand as the giant storm shield is a little to big for me.

I also like the demon your painting over on CT, really nice skin work.

Yeah, I liked the sculpt too much to cover it up with a giant shield. The incinse <sp> ball thingie was a decoration from the DA kits.

One thing you might want to consider doing is painting the honor studs on this guys forehead in a different color. I don't know if they are gold, or unpainted, but they really get lost in the flesh tones. Maybe painting them to resemble steel? And a few white highlights on the cery edge of the girder (I realise you are attempting to make it look aged/dirty/gritty) might help it pop.

Just my 2 bucks, feel free to ignore me.

DGF

Archived