pre-heresy truescale worldeaters

synapse

I have to say I love the true-scale terminators, and second the request to be able to get hold of some of the parts. Can't wait to see them painted up :P
Synapse, I've been following your work for years on Warseer and more recently here. Your work is amazing, truly inspirational.
best true scale i've ever seen. looks a lot like the art in the new codices. keep up the good work man.

wow thanks :D i do love the artwork in the new codices/rulebooks (small heads, big legs etc) and try to convey it in the models, though as you can see its hard work! hopefully the end result will pay off!

not much work done on these guys over the past few days as ive been finishing off a few orky commissions. hopefully ill get back to work on these today. i really want to finish off the moels by the end of the week (sat hopefully) , and want to get started on the painting by sunday.

i doubt it.

the cloaks alone take a few stages to get done (1 - the basic shape on the body; 2 - once that's dry i add better folds/creases with GS). then i have to do the loincloths (which i wanted to do in either chainmail or roman-style tassles) and the tassles opn the shoulders. both those till take a qhile to get done and are tedious and dont feel liek doing them :P but ull do them

to those interested in the bases, im also awaiting a few GW skull bitz packs and a box of skeleton warriors ;) looking forward to doing those

i do want to make an angron but im faced with this dilemma: the longer i wait to make him the better (im hoping) my sculpting will be.... but i really want to make him soon.

i have a cool idea for Khârn though (no bunny ears though :) and if that's a success i might start sketching ideas for him. the main problem is the head as theres no way im going to sculpt my own, but if i make him any bigger than these guys, the plastic gw heads will be too small, and any other gw heads (=][= scale)are too big... no idea what to do in that regard

These are faaaar to cool. Seeing all the final mass produced resin parts are a real inspiration to get my SoB kit up and running faster!

Question though, How are you getting the resin into your moulds? are you pouring on both sides and flipping them on top of one another? Syringe injection?

How do you get past the respective problems of overspill whilst pouring or air bubble control (espectially for small or pointed areas)? For the latter, the lady at the shop suggested i talc the mould beforehand to break surface tension of resin and let it flow easier, which i will try... but you dont seem to be having too much of a problem to start with. Maybe vaseline?

Anyway, fantastic work once again :)

angron should be the size difference between your TS and and nornal 28mm marines again so that the TS ones come up to his chest. for the head you could always try a sculpt or have a look around for the heads on larger models and convert them a bit?if you do your own carn remember to give him gore child but make it the right size unlike the GW one where its a tiny axe lol

Question though, How are you getting the resin into your moulds? are you pouring on both sides and flipping them on top of one another? Syringe injection?

hmm never heard of that 2-piece moulding. is it recomended? somehow i imagine there being bad mould lines.

i make a 2 piece mould, with deep 'U' shaped pouring channel, so that the resin pours down the hole and up the model from the lowers part, (idealy) forcing any air bubbles out. this process requires as many exit channels as needed (on metal models these aer those little slivers of metal that need to be removed (they collect extra air so resin can find its way into the iddly parts). though truth be told these are my first ever castings and they show it - thre are a few small airbubbles in difficult spots, though ive just got some longer curing resin and will see how that works soonish

below is a quick pic of one sie of the mould:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2545-1.jpg

How do you get past the respective problems of overspill whilst pouring or air bubble control (espectially for small or pointed areas)? For the latter, the lady at the shop suggested i talc the mould beforehand to break surface tension of resin and let it flow easier, which i will try... but you dont seem to be having too much of a problem to start with. Maybe vaseline?

with the correct pour channels it shouldnt be neccesary, but if you pouir slowly, and stop maybe 5mm- 1cm below the top of the mould you can start shaking it, tapping i9t on your bench or even squeezing it a bit, bursting any airbubbles that emerge with a needle or whatever. you can always carefully pour more resin in at this stage to compensate for any you lost. it might be messy. this is my method, and probably ocmpletely wrong :ph34r: until i get a pressure chamber, thats the method ill probably keep on using.

angron should be the size difference between your TS and and nornal 28mm marines again so that the TS ones come up to his chest. for the head you could always try a sculpt or have a look around for the heads on larger models and convert them a bit?if you do your own carn remember to give him gore child but make it the right size unlike the GW one where its a tiny axe lol

i though gorechild was kharns... didnt think it belonged to angron beforehand. in which case, the one Khârn has would be incredibly (and probably comically) oversized for him!

ok, cloaks are done and im pretty happy with them (think i finally got the hang of milliput ),the loincloths are done (1 chain, 2 tassles, 2 chainmail) im happy with the chainmail ones, as ive never done them before.

got half the shoudler tassles done too, which could be better, but theyre fine, especially once painted. need to do the last 2 now, then i can do the weapons and detailing (like hanging skulls, maybe some small bits of pelt, 'purity seals' yeah i know theyre not called that :) )

hopefully it wont take longer than the weekend (the guns and chain halberds might take a while to get done to a level i like. pics when the models are done, ready for primimg.

getting excited now, anticipating the painting

also, i need to print out my World Eater transfer sheet soon. never done printed transfers before, so hope it turns out ok :ph34r:

how do you mean by 'how did i make the mould?'

update

finally, after what seems like ages, the models are done, ready for priming. this has been a very interesting project, and was my introduction to master-making, moulding and casting, i learnt a lot in the process about things like undercuts, entry/exit points, using casts of masters to base different versions of models on (as i know GW has been doing with metal unit models for years) and lots of other things, i hope ill be able to implement in the future (on things like scratchbuilt artscale jetbikes, jump packs etc). i guess the learning curve hasnt ended here either, as ill be making my own transfers for these guys soon, something im looking forward too aswell.

im very very very happy with the look of the unit and while the influences are subtle, i think they have just enough world eater character in the models to show through, without being overwhelming. they look pretty menacing when stood next to each other, which is perfect, considering theyre terminators!

have to say - thanks to apologist, whose use of round lipped bases and adding name plates to them has and will (respectively) been stolen by me :) i plan to rebase the rest of the army (for a second time!) to match these guys. any suggestions or question on the models (and the obvious C&C) please let me know.

so without further preamble, here's a group shot:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2613.jpg

sergeant:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2618.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2619.jpg

banner taken from the ironclad dreadnought (really nice banner on that) and the trophy in his right hand is an accessory from the stegadon kit (really nice bit, that).

veteran brother #1

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2622.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2623.jpg

my fave pose on all 5, the movement of this model is lost in the pics. i like the fact that its a terminator thats running and shooting to the right, which is very dynamic for a termie. i like the topknot, though figure a lot of people will say he looks like abbadon because of it! lol. amazing what a topknot can do to a model, isnt it?

veteran brother #2

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2620.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2621.jpg

the hardest pose by far to achieve, im happy with the final result. again, i think its a good representation of how terminator armour isnt as hulking and slow as people think it is (after all the guys inside it are the same initiative as normal marines, which are quicker and more alert than normal humans)

veteran brother #3

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2616.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2617.jpg

there has to be one in every heavily converted unit, hasnt there? the one where all your creative juices seem to have run out. sadly he's the one in this unit, but he isnt that bad really, just no ooomph. maybe ill go back and give him a pelt on one shoulder or something like that? any suggestions?

veteran brother #4

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2614.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM2615.jpg

hehe! could help going a bit OTT on one of them, giving him loads of skull trophies (theres one with bionics, one ork one, one genestealer on in there... somewhere :D

some notes on the models:

• combi bolters: i was lucky as my pre-heresy bolter mould i was using to make these ripped on the last one! didnt think it was worth it to make and cast combi bolters, so i just used the pre heresy bolters, shaved about 1/4 of their inner thickness off and stuck them together with further minor alteration. im happy with them and will use this method again if i make any more.
  • bases: each model has about 3 - 5 skulls on its base, and some have ribcages and skeletons too. they dont really show much at the moment, but will be a lot more evident once the bases are painted.
    elbow piping: i wasnt sure whether or not to add these, but went for them in the end, reasoning it was a nod to the proper terminator models, albeit at a more subtle scale. i was going to add them to the master models, but (probably correctly) figured out the thin pipes would cast very well in resin, so i added them later using metal piping.
  • chainhalberds: not very detailed. i was thinking about adding some piping to them (like i did to the elbow pads), but dont really think i need to (especially since theyll be covered in blood once painted so any detail will be lost. please let me know what you think of them.
  • cloaks: im happy with these, though first batch i made (the ones with GS bitz on them, arent as good as the others (you live and learn i guess!). think i finally got the gist of how to use milliput after all these years, and i must say its now my putty of choice for cloaks and things like that. i made them by rolling out milliput flat (about 3 - 4 mmm thick. you dont want it too thin as it will lose its shape too easily), leaving it to cure for about 15-15 mins, cutting it to shape and applying it to the model trying to form as many folds and creases as possible. once dry, i applied sausage shaped bits of milliput to them in areas where i thought they needed more folds. im quite happy with them.

Wow, impressive is not the word :jaw:

Normally, I don't like True Scale Marines AT ALL. I think what puts me off is that usually people do one or maybe a squad, say "yayy I"ve mastered True Scale", and it doesn't seem enough.

But your work has the added impressiveness that you have persisted and made a very impressive project, one that is worthy of GW devoting an entire Art book to, imho.

Outstanding B)

well first ui make the master model, then make a container for the mould (legs works well for this), then press the model in plasticine so half of it is exposed (this is a gross oversimplification of the process, though thats it in a nutshell). then mix the rubber and pour it over the exposed half. once that's dry, remove the plasticene, rotate the moel so its rubber side down and repeat (making sure to use lots of release agent so the two halves of the mould get unstuck)

Dang nabbit, this is eyecandy. Think my brain just fried itself in everlasting extasy...

Anyhow, some awesome Truescale project you have there. I especially liked your Standard Bearer with that enormous banner, and those dynamically posed World Eaters bashing around with guardsmen and orks in their hands, loved that part! Would like to have a display army of Truescale Iron Warriors for myself, but that will be a project for some other time, as I am still learning new Green Stuff sculpting methods all the time.

Keep up your amazing work, Synapse-san.

i do want to make an angron but im faced with this dilemma: the longer i wait to make him the better (im hoping) my sculpting will be.... but i really want to make him soon.

i have a cool idea for Khârn though (no bunny ears though :P and if that's a success i might start sketching ideas for him. the main problem is the head as theres no way im going to sculpt my own, but if i make him any bigger than these guys, the plastic gw heads will be too small, and any other gw heads (=][= scale)are too big... no idea what to do in that regard

'

I might have a solution for you there are several head sprues avalible in 1/35 and 1/48 scale military kits that might work for you. These would be bigger but not to much larger, and if necessary you could also shave them down. I'll see if I can find you a link for them.

Beautiful work by the way, but again that's no suprise!

Archived