pre-heresy truescale worldeaters

synapse

thanks :D actually i really enjoyed doing this guy. and now the fiddly work is over:

ok, the legs are done now (barring belt buckle - still no idea what its gonna be, probably a box with a small skull in the middle

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/Ter_11.jpg

other than that, i just need to do the arms, and im done (for now...)

update

better than yesterday's attempts (having a mould with entry/exit points in the right place helped...):

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/Ter_12.jpg

not perfect - small air bubble in the targeter thing above the head-socket, but nothing a small blob of GS wont help. and itll only get better the more i make. im glad i can use the resin i have for these, though im hoping to get something that takes long to cure to finish them off

Hey Synapse,

beautiful work, at first I thought the torso was a little narrow but making allowances for the arms it looks good. I really think you've nailed the proportions on him. How may mm tall in he?

Oh if you looking for a good all around resin thats fairly cheap. I like Smooth-On's 305 resin, you mix by volume and have a seven minute work time with 30 min de-mold time. Great stuff very strong and not brittle even with very small thin parts. Its about $95 gallon, but for minis your using 2-5 ml typically, so you could make those marines for around $0.10 each. :rolleyes: If you have any questions casting let me know over the last six month I had a crash course in it.

thanks, but thats an american site... i live in eurpoe. apart from shipping rates from america being exorbitantly overprices, the only country listed in its shipping list is america so i cant even order from there :D

i've checked online for other places that may stick them though havent had any luck yet.

Synapse,

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the process of True-Scaling my DIY Chaos Marines and I've found your tutorial very helpful. Are you also going to do a tutorial on the Terminators? Please do so... pretty please, with sugar on top. ;)

hmm... well the torso is pretty difficult to do a tutorial for as i just made a terminator trso shape out of plasticard. depending on the proportions youre going for the dimensions would differ... also, i dont really work from templates. i suppose i could use caliper and measure the sides, but other than that there's little i can say - just glue the PC together and use GS to fill in the gaps and do the roof of the armour

the legs are more fiddly. the general stages are the same as with my normal marines (same as the normal tutorial), only with larger spaces and more GS used to make the proportions thicker. also theres the fiddly additions of half circle plasticard rod on the legs to give them the terminator frame-work.

i dont remember using any rivets on these apart from one of the marines in heresy MK armour (or a close approximation thereof...). i just used 0.6 mm plastic rod slived very thinly and glued on .

after getting the FW masterclass book ive been wanting to use the beads from inside a water filter but havent got round to it. wonder if anyone else has done that?

thanks, but thats an american site... i live in eurpoe. apart from shipping rates from america being exorbitantly overprices, the only country listed in its shipping list is america so i cant even order from there :blink:

i've checked online for other places that may stick them though havent had any luck yet.

Sorry, go here link, they have international distributers in: UK, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, and others. I'd google search the distributers names on the page.

Byt the way have you seen this Link? A little to reedy looking for my taste, I prefered my terminators beefy. <_<

i dont remember using any rivets on these apart from one of the marines in heresy MK armour (or a close approximation thereof...). i just used 0.6 mm plastic rod slived very thinly and glued on .

after getting the FW masterclass book ive been wanting to use the beads from inside a water filter but havent got round to it. wonder if anyone else has done that?

What you might want to look up is "glitter beads" or "micro beads" they're tiny metal or glass marbles between 0.25 - 1.5 mm. You can get like a million of them for a $2-3. Just drill and appropriate sized hole where you want the rivet add a tiny amount of super-glue. Then pour the beads of the model. Instant rivets and all the same size. I bought 0.5mm silver beads and 1.0 mm copper beads. Thanks the wife for the tip.

Yes I do: link, link, and link.

I got mine for the last link, but all three ship international, the second one is in the UK and shipping to Malta is like 75 cents. The packages are like 5-8 grams each, so even international is negligible. You might also want to check your local craft stores, as women use them to be-dazzle cloths and stuff.

i might be a bit biased, but...

my main problem is that i dont like the proportions of the GW ones. i like marines the way they are portrayed in the artwork - with large legs and huge frames. i know that may not be everyone's cup of tea but thats the way i like them :P

though in tregard to what youre saying i dont think there's much difference between the normal GW marines and truescale marines im making, and when it comes to terminators i always thought truescale ones were able to capture more of the dynamicness (sp?) of marines. though the new space hulk minis prove that wrong ;) besides, when it comes to terminators they it states in the fluff that it limits their motions and mobility.

since the TS marines are a bit more proportionate (ie their heads arent the same height as their shins and thighs ;) i think its easier to capture cool poses and detailing. i dont think the size has anything to do with it either. tehy could be smaller but with these proportions and id still prefer them to the GW ones.

EDIT: i noticed you removed the comment... oh well :P

Oh its not just the horrible proportions, the poses are down right awful as well. So, bad that even though they're plastic its nearly impossible to repose them to look good. Seriously what is up with the feet. Separate feet with a ball and sock design like FW's 120mm marine if the way I'm doing my TS marines. This is one thing you've been very successful with in this thread, achieving believable and even subtle naturalistic poses. Rather than the standard squating/grunting marine poses. But the more TS marines you have based on terminator legs the more obvious the limited number of poses it becomes.

thanks! though the first two links seem to the same, and theyre a bit too big for what im looking for. i think 0.6mm and 0.4 mm would be better for what i need .

Here is another option link, its a bit more expensive but they are actual stainless steel balls 1.0 mm, 1.5 mm, and 2.0 mm. TS The terminator seen here uses 1.0 mm balls for the rivets and a 2.0 mm ball for the belt buckle. So, the size should be okay, I think.

Archived