A Daemon army in 66+ some odd days

OwlandMoonGuy

I’ve been working for the past few months in prep for painting up a Daemon army. It’s been mostly research thus far; color schemes, basing theme, intended conversions, etc.; but now it’s time to get rolling. So I’ve set a goal for myself: Paint the army by sometime in October; giving me roughly two months to get it all done. Given the subject matter, we’ll call it 66 days starting Firday, August 1st ending Monday, October 6th. :unsure:

So here’s the list: the Pleasure & the Pain; 1,750 pts

Mixed Slaaneshi & Khornite daemon army (as traditionally unfluffly as that is :( )

*The Masque - 100 pts (100% done)

Skulltaker on juggernaut - 175 pts (25% done)

*Herald of Slaanesh w/soporific musk on chariot - 75 pts (30% done)

Bloodcrushers x4 - 180 pts (joined by Skulltaker) (30% done)

*Daemonettes x10 w/Icon of Chaos and Instrument of Chaos - 170 pts (100% done)

*Daemonettes x10 w/Icon of Chaos and Instrument of Chaos - 170 pts (100% done)

Bloodletters x8 w/Instrument of Chaos - 133 pts (100% done)

*Soulgrinder w/Phlegm cannon - 160 pts (50% done)

*Soulgrinder w/Phlegm cannon - 160 pts (35% done)

Soulgrinder w/Phlegm cannon - 160 pts (35% done)

1,749 pts, 58 models, 5 scoring units (or 6 if I split up the Daemonettes)

Note that the entries marked with an (*) represent the preferred first turn incursion.

So here’s the status, 22/58 or 38% complete:

Bases: blackened stone with orange/yellow glowing runes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/Pre-H%20Research/01-FinishedBases.jpg

Example of some Bloodletters in progress:

gallery_15218_910_298484.jpg

gallery_15218_910_346880.jpg

First of three Soulgrinder conversions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/00-SG1-WIP2.jpg

I’ll be tracking my progress in this threat while going into a bit more detail in my blog.

Your comments are welcome. It’s hardly worth posting this thread w/o them. So feel free to comment on the list, gaming, modeling or whatever and thanks in advance for your input.

-OMG

Your goal is to end on my birthday :( ... does this mean it's for me?! <_<

I just started a Daemon army as well and have yet to get some of the boxes, mines pure khorne "zilla" list though so I have less to build and paint, but my deadline is also in September. :unsure:

Good Luck on your painting and I REALLY like those bases, really cool effect. (You primed white, then painted the oranges, yellows, etc. then painted black over the white? does this increase the effect to leave a little white showing around the lines?)

Thanks for the comments.

Your goal is to end on my birthday :) ... does this mean it's for me?! :P

Ah, no but you can always wish what you may.

I just started a Daemon army as well and have yet to get some of the boxes, mines pure khorne "zilla" list though so I have less to build and paint, but my deadline is also in September. ;)

Right then. Get your own thread going and show us some WIP pics. And good luck to you as well (or do Daemons require bad luck?).

I REALLY like those bases, really cool effect. (You primed white, then painted the oranges, yellows, etc. then painted black over the white? does this increase the effect to leave a little white showing around the lines?)

I find that a white undercoat is the quickest way to vibrant, lighter colors. In other words, I find it easier to make a light undercoat dark than a dark undercoat light. So to make the red & orange “pop” I start from a white base coat.

And, if you keep your paints watered down enough, it will create a natural highlight around the raised areas. So yes, it does help add a bit to the glow effect.

Cheers, -OMG

I like your painting job on your Bloodletters so far, definitly :) I'm not so sure about the Soul Grinder popping out of a tank, though... it's cool, but I guess the thing that's bothering me most is that a normal Soul Grinder model would give a different TLOS to the units behind it since it would be a bit off the ground, as opposed to that tank which would totally blocked what's behind it...

But anyway, just my thoughts :P

Hummmm… You almost have to wonder if I had that in mind. :P

Since the GW stock SG/Defiler model can be assembled in different ways, it is easily permissible to so in a way that completely blocks TLoS. The conversion above makes for a bit of an extreme case but there’s no rule that prohibits its legality on the gaming table.

Progress Report: 1 ½ more Bloodletters painted last night. I still need to finish the swords but that will require some custom decaling unless I give up on that idea.

Here’s hoping for some good progress over the weekend.

-OMG

The tank treads on the right side are still intact while they are broken on the left. The unit is still a walker after all so I had to bring the legs in there somewhere.

Almost done with the first Bloodletter squad. The swords aren’t done as I really need to find a font I like for the glowing runes along the blade. Either I find something today or I’m going to give up on the idea.

gallery_15218_910_450417.jpg

I started on a Daemonette test model as well. Progress report updated above on more soon.

-OMG

How are you going to make the steeds for the chariot? I dug into my bitz and could only find an old 2nd ed Steed that in theory would work, but I would have to find another....I suspect I will have to bust out the dremel and remove two riders from the steeds instead and just eat the $20.

I’ve been debating that very decision. There is the Slaaneshi Champion from Fantasy on that (sorry don’t know GW’s name for it), mount of Slaanesh thing. Two of those would make for some compelling steeds. I was also thinking that Champion’s mount + a mounted Daemonette. This is Chaos after all so they don’t have to match do they?

Q: If you used the mounted Daemonettes, why would you want to remove the riders? I think it would be perfectly fine to leave them.

Now the question still remains… what model to use for the Herald?

I have some ideas but am always looking for more.

-OMG

do something different.

have the chariot pulled by daemonettes. :P Model them to be running and pulling chains (or have the hooks or loops through the flesh in their back)

For the herald?

If you did a larger model with a face of a steed.

http://forum.emperorschildren.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/sorcerer1.jpg

(Note face is a fiend of Slaanesh)

So you would have the daemonettes pulling the steed. Backwards, but interesting.

Not sure what. How about an old Keeper of Secrets?

http://forum.emperorschildren.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/ExaultedDaemons.jpg

PM me if you want one or two. :)

I have a couple bare metal (and some as bits).

Another idea is for a non-standard chariot. How about a flying carpet!

http://forum.emperorschildren.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/keepersonParade.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/u14/refuse/upload/4153509.FlyingKeeper.JPG

All the way on the right there is a Keeper on a flying carpet.

do something different.

The chariot being pulled by daemonettes with Ball-gags sure does sound like the way to go but is beyond my sculpting ability to pull off.

Here are some potential parts I have assembled thus far:

High Elf Chariot from WHFB

Mounted Champion of Slaanesh from WHFB

Lots of mounted Daemonettes (x6 I think)

Lucius the Eternal – for a guy with a whip.

Amazon priestess from Mordheim

Making the chariot fly is a nice idea… that gets me thinking. Perhaps having them run over very rugged terrain with a dynamic pitch to the chariot itself. Even if I keep it wheeled that sounds like the way to go.

Any more suggestions here welcome.

-OMG

Well, I am using the Chaos Chariot from Fantasy for mine. So, a steed would not fit well with a rider with the harness. Besides, I would see the Herald as "privlaged" or "selfish" to share the chariot with any other riders.

My idea was pretty simple, clip and use the dremel to clean the riders off. I suspect this will be the most hellish experience I've had to ever do, but I think will be worth it. Then putty over some spots and file a little. The harness and chains I want to add should fit nicely. I wish they had the bitz orders still for small parts, I'd love to get the head covers with the tassel from the Black Coach from the Vampire Counts.

I am thinking of using a Plague Cart for a planiquin of Nurgle.

Looking at the "Boob worm" as I call it from Fantasy that has the rider would work, but again you are going to have to dremel/file off some aspects to make it work.

Lol refuse the parasol/umbrella is great.

I like the runes on the floor OwlandMoonguy simple but effective. For the old daemons I have I'm considering maybe magnetising or blutacking bits of rock like yours on the bases so I can switch between 40k and WHFB.

So the Bloodletters are done; decaled, dull coated, everything. I think the hell blades came out almost exactly as I envisioned them.

gallery_15218_2494_278672.jpg

gallery_15218_2494_280321.jpg

I spend the day making more basing material (more than I think I’ll need now) and playing around with Daemonette model.

I should have plenty more modeling time this weekend so I’m hoping for another update before Monday.

My thanks to everyone for the advice and all the more welcome as this project continues.

-OMG

those blades are absolutely awesome, great theme with the bases!

How did you do the writing may I ask? I may put some of the same style on a Tau sword as a Cerimonial Blade for my Battlesuit, but using blue or the suchlike.

I think they're the best Bloodletters I've ever seen. My local GW has a large daemon army and its nothing on yours!

Can't wait to see the Masque

Thanks for the comments.

The lettering is just custom decals; I cover them in more detail in my blog (link in signature).

So here’s the test model for the paint scheme on the daemonettes.

gallery_15218_2494_265928.jpg

C&C welcome. Note that they colors have to be both unique and complementary to the rest of the army. Let me know if you feel that this fills the bill.

-OMG

The claws were done:

Base coat white

Foundation (Mechrite) Red

Flat black stain (roughly 1:½ w/water)

Red (Baal) ink

Blood Red highlights

…but the more I look at this model the more it looks like a heroclix figure. It looks too colorful in a non-Saaleshi daemonic sense.

Expect test model #2 shortly. -OMG

Archived