A Daemon army in 66+ some odd days

OwlandMoonGuy

I'll just echo everyone else on the bloodletters and their blades - they look absolutely excellent, really well painted and will make for a very eye catching unit.

I can't help but agree with you on the daemonette scheme though. The painting itself is obviously nice on the first test figure, but the colours are a little "ordinary" and dull for Slaaneshi daemons, and I think using the reds and fleshtones like this to keep them unified is taking from their visual impact. Given that you posted your thoughts on this 3 days ago it's quite possible you've already got another idea in the works, and may even be close to completion, but I'll make a suggestion anyway; your contrasting colours on the black and red bloodletters appear to be blue and yellow. Personally I'd look into using one of these, maybe a blue blending into turquoise or purple, in higher amounts on the daemonettes... maybe on the claws, with the bodice/corset in red to keep them unified...?

Just an idea anyway. You've got some real painting skill, the first unit is amazing and so far you're giving me a whole lot to look forward to :) will be interested to see where you go next with the daemonettes...

Just a quick update w/o any eye candy. I painted up a second daemonette test model, this one with a more grey/purple scheme Draakur (I had similar thoughts as you expressed above actually :) ). It wound up looking way too purple like the daemon hailed from the Warp haunted planet of grape juice (at least the vintage must produce some nice wines but that’s beside the point).

More work is still required there and unfortunately it cost me some time.

To help make up, I’ve started into the next squad of Bloodletters. They are now all assembled, primed & mounted on fully painted bases. Since I’ve got a standard process for them I should be able to complete them quickly.

Statistically speaking; I’ve burned through 27% of my time and am about 17% done. :D

I should have more pics here shortly; tonight if not later on this week.

Thanks for the input. C&C always appreciated. -OMG

After reworking the grape daemonette, I came to a darker compromise and ended up with this scheme. I’m liking this way more than the brightly colored version above. I’m 90% sold on these colors for the rest of the army.

So here’s the realization of the Pleasure & Pain models side by side:

gallery_15218_2494_91158.jpg

Also helping to keep pace with my deadline, here’s the next Bloodletter squad ready for paint.

gallery_15218_910_93166.jpg

I’ve also got the bases for the next squad in the works.

46 days remaining. There’s still hope to have ½ the army done by the ½ way point on Tuesday, 9/2. I’m sure that focusing on the troop selections will get me there on time.

-OMG

Here’s some progress updates:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/15-BloodReaperNo2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/16-FinalDaemonettes.jpg

I’ve got some other pics as well but didn’t get the chance to upload them as of yet. I’ll do so tonight.

I’m burning daylight so some real progress needs to get made in the very near future.

More soon. -OMG

I’ll even throw in that it makes more sense. Kinda like the metric system. That didn’t go over big here either. Either way, I’m not looking at 66 months to get this done and here’s hoping that it won’t end up taking that long. ;)

Here are the pics of the first Daemonette squad.

gallery_15218_910_217078.jpg

gallery_15218_910_351493.jpg

Now to get them painted.

-OMG

Just checking in since I last posted - I like the route you've gone with the daemonettes :cuss The new scheme has them looking quite daemonic and still striking to the eye, but the colours/placement just work together so much better, and I get the feeling they'll no longer detract from the army's look as a whole (which I think they would have if you'd stuck with the first scheme). You've chosen a great shade of purple there (I'd envisioned something lighter, but this darker shade looks better than I'd have guessed). Wicked man ;) Hope you find the time to work on the army some more in the near future, I'm digging all the progress so far :)

It’s been a while since the last update but there’s not escaping it, it’s now officially the ½ mark of my self imposed deadline. I remain, undaunted.

Here’s the completed squad of Bloodletters

gallery_15218_2494_442867.jpg

Here’s the status of the Daemonettes

gallery_15218_910_305447.jpg

So statistically speaking: I’ve got 22/58 models done or 38% complete. I’m close to getting these models done and I’ve also got the next (and last) two squads assembled. I expect to have as many as 16 new models underway through this weekend.

I’ve also been playing around with a name & some fluff for this army. Currently I believe that it will be known as the Infernal Warband of S’alili the Lie.

More on that to come. -OMG

I like your BL's color scheme... classic! (and these are some nice Hellblades)

As for your daemonettes, making their skin so dark looks pretty original! Personally I won't go down that path with mine, but if you can pull it off, more power to you! :D

This is looking good. The Daemonettes are very unusual, but it works well.

Have you given any thought to what base you are going to use for your Herald with chariot?

I'm struggling for ideas what size and shape to use for mine.

I intend to put curved ends to the provided chariot base. I’m interested to see the new bases that come with the Space Marine Scout Bikes. They might still be a bit small but might serve this purpose. Since our friends at GW didn’t tell us I guess we must take our liberties.

I’m off schedule but still plugging away. I now at least have all my infantry assembled & based while 24 of them remain unpainted. Whereas that sounds like a ton of work, there are now only 8 models left unassembled. That sounds like progress to me.

Here are the new & last squad of assembled daemonettes.

gallery_15218_910_302529.jpg

I’ve now been working on the Skulltaker & Jugger conversion. I’m already happy with the results.

More on that soon. -OMG

It's always great to see a painter's log of an army without much in the way of defined schemes. I mean, for demons we get that Nurgle = green, Khorne = red, Slaneesh =...something eye-twisted, and Tzeentch = blue/pink/whatever. And that's it.

I have to say aside from that, it's a very imaginative Soul Grinder conversion, and I'm liking the purple-skinned Daemonette. Looking back, I know why my Bloodletters refused to get a lighter color; I primed them black and they never really got over that. (And now, they bathe in the simple green...).

Keep the stuff coming. I'm rooting for you to make your goal, but if you don't, hopefully you'll keep at it and keep posting pics.

Thank you both and rest assured that I didn't embark on the project w/o the full intention of finishing it. But, time will become more more of a commodity after 10/6 than right now. My next 40K project has been planned for well over 18 months and in that case I have a team to consider. You can't let your battle brothers down when death is on the line (or does that have something to do with gambling & Itallians? I forget).

So I'm still making every effort to hit that date. I'm already very happy with the Skulltaker conversion. More on that soon.

-OMG

...I have a team to consider. You can't let your battle brothers down when death is on the line (or does that have something to do with gambling & Itallians? I forget).

It's only the gambling and Italians if you have a horse to deal with. If it's drinking, it's a Sicilian. If it's your battle-brothers, well, they'll be dead if you let them down, and then you can take their glory...

Looking forward to seeing the chariot, myself. I'm kicking around the idea of using a chariot, but I haven't found many good examples of 'em thus far.

Here are the beginning of my SkullTaker conversion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/22-SkullTaker-WIP1.jpg

I really would like to wait for the new WHFB Khorne Lord to come out but I think I can make do with the model bits at my disposal.

More on this to come shortly. -OMG

Why yes it was.

Here are a few new pics along with the completed base for Skulltaker:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/23-DaemonSteeds.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/24-SkullTakerWIP-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/OwlandMoonGuy/25-SkullTakersBase.jpg

-OMG

Archived