Spacewolves Q&A

Spacefrisian

After reading the "does this do that" again i got thinking do peeps never read through several pages and just ask silly Questions. So i sum up as many questions here as possible:

Q: Do the Wolfpelt and Counterattack stack?

A: Yes.

Q: Are their any new models?

A: no their aren't.

Q: Does the Dreadnought benefit from the Counter attack rule?

A: Yes its a Spacewolf model with a Ws.

Q: Does the Chooser allow you to stop outflanking?

A: yes as it says that any unit wishing to infiltrate (outflank is used by that skill sometimes) must roll a 4 on 1D6 in order to do so. It does not stop Outflank which is used due to the scout special rule.

Q: Which assaultcannon statts do we use? (Ours says heavy 3*)

A: We use the new (heavy 4, Rending) The "*" says to refer to the big rule book. Those are the correct statts for the Assault cannon for us.

Q: what does the Fang of Morkai do?

A: It originally worked in the sam manners as a reducter however this wargear has been combined/lost with the Spacemarine codex, instead refer to the rules on Page 31 of Codex spacewolves.

Q: The Wolfguard entry confuses me how do i go with the Heavy weapon thing and Does the Wolfguard leader and the Wolfguard battle leader belong to these 20 and can they take heavy weapons.

A: 1 in 3 can take a heavy weapon rounding up so its as follow:

1 to 3 = 1 heavyweapon

4 to 6 = 2 heavyweapon

7 to 9 = 3 heavyweapon

10 to 12 = 4 Heavyweapon

13 to 15 = 5 heavyweapon

16 to 18 = 6 heavyweapon

19 to 20 = 7 heavyweapon

All Wolfguard ar treated as a single unit on paper you only divide them before battle as such it does not matter where the heavyweapon go. The Wolfguard leader(s)cannot take heavy weapons but is/are counted amongs the 20 wolfguard. The Wolguard Battle leader is not counted amongst these 20 but is able to take heavyweapons from the Wolfguard entry list.

Q: Can we take the Landraider Crusader/ Redeemer?

A: Yes The same goes for all other vehicles listed in the Spacemarine codex. Cronus is also available to us as he is an upgrade.

Q: Which price do we need to take for the Rhino and Razorback?

A: As for now the ones listed in codex Spacewolves.

Q: Does Healing Potions and Balms confer feel no pain to the unit?

A: No it does not, it makes no reference to look into C:SM's as it's not a narthecium.

Q: We can take 1 scout unit as the if taken from codex Spacemarine, can we take Terminator honours or Telion.

A: No you cannot give Terminator honours or upgrade 1 member to Telion you can only upgrade 1 squad with weapons listed in the scout entry. Hellfire rounds may be taken though.

Q: How do the HQ's work? I'm dumb and don't know what rounding fractions up means... (sorry for the dumb part, but it fits no?)

A: 1 in every 750, so let me make a chart:

1-750= 1 HQ

751-1500= 2 HQ's

1501-2250= 3 HQ's

2251-3000= 4 HQ's

3001-3750= 5 HQ's

and so on.

Q: Can my MotW IC take a ride in a transport?

A: Yes if the transport isn't already carrying anyone.

Q: Do Space Wolf Scouts count as scoring units? (I've had this asked to me personally a few times, not sure how often here)

A: No they do not, 5th edition only allows troops to score objectives, and Space Wolf Scouts are an elite.

Q: Do our Wolf priests get litanies of hate?

A: No they do not, they're not chaplains as in the C:SM.

Q: Can the Wolves take an allied Daemon Hunter or Witch Hunter HQ per their codexes?

A: No all Hq must be taken from codex Spacewolves you have to settle with the Elite version of an Inquisitor. Its also not wise to have an inq. guy sniffing in our affairs.

Q: Does the stormcaller power allow assaulting powerfists hit first in CC?

A: No a powerfist always strikes on I 1regardless.

Q: Do Blood Claws get the Berserk Charge Attack bonus when they counter attack?

A: Jup, they do

Q: Do defensive grenades work when we counterattack

A: No we are being assaulted and defensive grenades only work if we are assaulting those who use them.

Q: Do you get the counter attack bonus with truegritt.

A: Yes

More silly questions will be rooted out.

It might be an idea to sticky this.

After reading the "does this do that" again i got thinking do peeps never read through several pages and just ask silly Questions. So i sum up as many questions here as possible:

No they don't. That is why the B&C has such a high noise to signal ratio.

I dont think you can produce the info from the FAQs wholesale here like that (copyright).

Rather, point a reference link to the actual FAQs on the net.

Do a reference too. Where(the source) did you get each info from?

When discussing a rule, you can quote the rule under discussion.

These answers are not from the FAQ. They are reasonable conclusions to questions GW neglected to answer.

-Does the WGBL's Heavy weapon take up one of the 1 in 3 (rounding up) rule for WGBG?

No it does not, so in an effective squad with a WGBL and 7-9 WGBG you can have a total of 4 AC's (1 WGBL, 3 WGBG).

-Does Healing Potions and Balms confer feel no pain to the unit?

No it does not, it makes no reference to look into C:SM's as it's not a narthecium.

-Do you take the points costs of the Rhino and Razorback vehicles from C:SM?

No, you use C:SW.

-Can we take Land Raider Crusader and Redeemer?

Yes, we have access to all the variants of the Land Raider.

-Can we take the Razorback variants?

This is still a debated topic, the English FAQ doesn't mention them, but the German FAQ does... Grüß Gott! und Tschüs!

-Can we take the Ironclad Dread?

Yes we can, we have access to the variant Dreads excluding the venerable.

-Can we take Chronus for one of our vehicles?

Yes we can, we have the option for the "upgrades", to see which tanks he can go in refer to the FAQ and C:SM.

-Can we take Telion as an upgrade to a scout squad?

No we cannot, you need to replace a Scout Sergeant with Telion to receive him, since we have no Scout Sergeant to replace, we cannot take him.

-Can our Wolf Scouts (who take normal scout weaponry) take a heavy bolter and receive the hellfire rounds?

Yes, it's an automatic upgrade with the heavy bolter and it's an option in the weapon list for the SM scouts accessible to our SW scouts.

This is all I can think of for now, I know there's more, but I've got some work to do for tomorrow. cheers.

Just out of curiosity when would a dreadnaught ever get to counter attack?

I've had mine counter a few times, some people can only blow em up in HtH with chain fists and such.

If you're referring to the fact it's base is huge and wouldn't have the opportunity to move up to 6" into BtB, the rules don't say you only get the +1 attack if you make that move, it's only if you were charged.

I continue to debate the Rhino/Razorback cost, because in the German FAQ, they are mentioned. I think it was an oversight in the English rules.

6" move has nothing to do with counter-attack anymore. Everyone gets that 6" move. Counter attack is all about the +1 attack now, nothing else. If you move, stand still, or dance a jig.. if you have counter-attack and pass a leadership test, you get the +1 attack.

I continue to debate the Rhino/Razorback cost, because in the German FAQ, they are mentioned. I think it was an oversight in the English rules.

6" move has nothing to do with counter-attack anymore. Everyone gets that 6" move. Counter attack is all about the +1 attack now, nothing else. If you move, stand still, or dance a jig.. if you have counter-attack and pass a leadership test, you get the +1 attack.

Forgot about the damn German FAQ... -_- I'll have a field day explaining this to fellow players now...

Of course the 6" move has nothing to do with counter-attack, that's what counter-charge is for. :D

That is how I explained it to Bobman... though I knew what I was talking about, apparently I didn't get the idea across... what I meant to say is exactly what you said lars. ;)

I'll edit my post so others don't start mis-thinking about those razorbacks and rhinos...

I dont speak German, so I am going on what we were told.. but it said to use the cost for every vehicle in C:SM, including Rhino/Razorback. But, I am also using their armory for the vehicles (because in using the vehicles from that codex, it says to use the armory in C:SM... heck, it says that for the LRE as well). That seems fair to me.

-Does the WGBL's Heavy weapon take up one of the 1 in 3 (rounding up) rule for WGBG?

No it does not, so in an effective squad with a WGBL and 7-9 WGBG you can have a total of 4 AC's (1 WGBL, 3 WGBG).

:lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the WGBL was an IC, and therefore was unable to select weaponry from the Wolf Guard entry, and instead used the IC options...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the WGBL was an IC, and therefore was unable to select weaponry from the Wolf Guard entry, and instead used the IC options...

The Space Wolves FAQ clearly states a WGBL (an IC and HQ) can take Wolf Guard heavy weapons.

The Space Wolves FAQ clearly states a WGBL (an IC and HQ) can take Wolf Guard heavy weapons.

stupid yet true.

wolf lord kieran

stupid yet true.

wolf lord kieran

Stupid? Pah! I was taking an AC on my WGBL in 4th ed, and you all called me crazy.

We see who has the last laugh here! Bwa ha ha ha!

It does make sense though. Maybe one of his Wolf Guards armed with a heavy weapon was the one the Wolf Lord appointed to command?

i wasnt present for the mentioned crazy calling, but if i was i would have probably thought so.

i still think the rule is stupid. in my less than humble opinion, if a wolf guard battle leader is an IC, than he shouldnt get heavy weapons. if he is counted as a wolf guard, he shouldnt get frost weapons.

but, as GW loves to do, they made a ruling that goes directly against previous FAQs.

in warhammer fantasy, a unit called Dragon Princes of the High Elves are immune to fire attacks due to their magic armor. in 6th edit, the faq said if a cannonball that is a magical flame attack hits the DPs, they extinguish the fire, then get hit by the cannonball! in 7th edit, same question, but now the flaming ball of metal bounces off the chest of the DP.

this is proof that GW makes decisions based on twisted, GW logic, and in no matter actually thinks out their decisions.

wolf lord kieran

To each their own I suppose.. I disagree with you. I think its perfectly acceptable that one of the Wolf Guards chosen to lead a detachment might be a heavy weapon one. That he is given a Frost Blade as a mark of status would also fall in line with this.

Yea, GW makes some odd calls.. but thats how it goes. Maybe, just maybe, one of these days some fan will finally buy up enough of the company to force some worthwhile changes. Really, I would love to be a fly in the wall in their board meetings. I wonder if the higher ups even realize the situation among the players?

Forgot about the damn German FAQ... -_- I'll have a field day explaining this to fellow players now...

I'll edit my post so others don't start mis-thinking about those razorbacks and rhinos...

I think they had forgotten to add Rhino and Razorback in the english FAQ. We must use the new C:SM as a reference. Simple example: just show me in C:SW the point costs for the TLLC. What upgrade options can a rhino get? Or show me the stat lines for rhino/razorback. Don´t forget that the online versions don´t have the reference page in the back of the paperback codex. You must think from the point of view of a noob.

Maybe, just maybe, one of these days some fan will finally buy up enough of the company to force some worthwhile changes

I think we should work on this. maybe if everybody here on b+c donated a few bucks (instead of spending them for more gw stuff) we could buy gw and release the conclusions that our high wolf council here came to in official faqs =D

Alternatively we could just buy a huge tank, park it in front of the main gw building and force gw to do it.

A: yes as it says that any unit wishing to infiltrate (outflank is used by that skill sometimes) must roll a 4 on 1D6 in order to do so. It does not stop Outflank which is used due to the scout special rule.

Is there a link to a discussion of this?

Is there a link to a discussion of this?

I can't provide you with a link because I'm lazy.

However, the ruling was simple, I'll explain since I (with the help of fellow supporters) put the text into context for interpretation.

"Enemy infiltrators may not set up using their special rules against a Space Wolves army that includes a Rune Priest with a Chooser of the Slain unless they first roll a 4+ on 1D6 (roll separately for each unit)."

In that long and outdated sentence we see a key word of "using their special rules" this is a clear indication for the "extras" provided by the infiltrate rule itself, including outflanking. This does not, however stop outflanking via the scouts special rule because there is no mention of it. So outflanking is stopped only when the unit outflanking is outflanking because they have the infiltrate special rule, (if they don't roll a 4+).

OH OH! I remember a popular one now...

Q: How do the HQ's work? I'm dumb and don't know what rounding fractions up means... (sorry for the dumb part, but it fits no?)

1-750= 1 HQ

751-1500= 2 HQ's

1501-2250= 3 HQ's

2251-3000= 4 HQ's

3001-3750= 5 HQ's

and so on.

OH OH! I remember a popular one now...

1-750= 1 HQ

751-1500= 2 HQ's

1501-2250= 3 HQ's

2251-3000= 4 HQ's

3001-3750= 5 HQ's

and so on.

so how many HQs would I need for 3751 to 4500????? ;)

Archived