Spacewolves Q&A

Spacefrisian

Where does it officially say BC's get their +2 on the counter attack? If you assume they do then GH with bolters will not get a counter attack bonus as they don't get +1 on the charge.

If you look in the rule book for "defenders react", it says after making a Ld test the unit gets the extra attack "as if they had charged" and since BC's get +2 on the charge that would mean they get +2 on the counter as well.

GH's always get, and have gotten, +1 attack on the charge, they just never get +1 attack for having 2 CCW's during the turn that they charged.

GH's always get, and have gotten, +1 attack on the charge, they just never get +1 attack for having 2 CCW's during the turn that they charged.

Trust me. He's right! :P See the 'true grit and counter attack' - threat.. thread.

Trust me. He's right! :P See the 'true grit and counter attack' - threat.. thread.

Actually it was we got a +1A for Two CCW but never one for charging when wielding a bolter, but then 5th Edition came in and mucked it all up. Ah well, not that it matters for me, as I get few chances to game and I'm working on my Orkz, so it won't come up much. <_<

Well heres a question... a Vendreads first turn reroll... can you use that to reroll the first time you try to get first turn/table edge, or for getting it via stealing the iniative, or both?

Well heres a question... a Vendreads first turn reroll... can you use that to reroll the first time you try to get first turn/table edge, or for getting it via stealing the iniative, or both?

I remember this exact question about a month before the 5th ed. book came out, I want to say it was beef or someone... not sure.

I don't remember what we said then, but the way I use it now is as such.

You get to roll for turn table (as that leads to who gets first turn) as well as the initiative. The reason why, I can't explain in full detail since I'm at a class, but I remember there being no limit to the turn roll for a ven. dread. Only one re-roll, but nothing saying there can't be more than one roll to be re-rolled.

Well thats how Ive been playing it... you get to reroll deployment, and then reroll seize the iniative if youve been deploying second.

This seems a bit... much... though.

I'm still debating whether to get to re-roll both, or you get to re-roll either depending on which you failed, because it originally in the sentence says you may re-roll the DICE, not DIE, but then later in the sentence it says has A dice roll, not dice rolls.

I think the best thing is to never play a venerable dread again so you don't run into this kind of thing...

On a side note, I suggest the only unit we do field is long fangs, since there seems to be no confusion with using them... :P

- Don't take this as whining, in by no means I am GW, so don't smite me :D , I'm simply trying to make what's called "a funny" but have failed miserably and now must take the walk of shame out into the frozen abyss that is Fenris. -

How to be played now the specialrule from the ancient dread "old&wise"?

regards

Feanwulf

refer just as is in C:SW... why?

Greetings brothers, Long have i listened, but it is the time to make my voice heard in the halls of the fang.

This seems to be a good place to start posting as i have had this issue as well. The new scenarios in the rulebook have a roll that determines deployment which determines who gets the first turn as we all know. However as this is no longer a roll just for the first turn there are those who act on behalf of the ruinous powers at my gaming club that say that the 'old & wise' rule no longer applies, as a roll for the first turn no longer exists in the old form. Are the ruinous powers merely seeking to deceive me or is there truth in his traitorous tongue.

Thank you brothers, as this is my first post the ale is on me!!

Fang

I have to chuckle a bit.

Good thread but there is some stuff that is just plain and simple and there are those that for some reason choose to complicate things.

Granted that we have to use two books for the time being, but there are things that at face value just make sense. It must be my years of playing and accepting of rules as they are stated or what they are meant to mean in spirit.

This will be a good FAQ.

Kudos.

How to be played now the specialrule from the ancient dread "old&wise"?

regards

Feanwulf

refer just as is in C:SW... why?

Greetings brothers, Long have i listened, but it is the time to make my voice heard in the halls of the fang.

This seems to be a good place to start posting as i have had this issue as well. The new scenarios in the rulebook have a roll that determines deployment which determines who gets the first turn as we all know. However as this is no longer a roll just for the first turn there are those who act on behalf of the ruinous powers at my gaming club that say that the 'old & wise' rule no longer applies, as a roll for the first turn no longer exists in the old form. Are the ruinous powers merely seeking to deceive me or is there truth in his traitorous tongue.

Thank you brothers, as this is my first post the ale is on me!!

Fang

Ok, first off:

The rule most definately is still in effect as it states "(a space wolf army containing a vendred) may re-roll the dice if the mission being played has a dice roll to see who gets the first turn." Pretty straight forward, as all missions have a dice roll to determine that. If a player wins the roll off, he chooses first or second and then you know who also deploys first. This is much the same as it was in 4th, so dont let anyone tell you it doesnt apply.

As for sieze the initiative...well, RAW, yeah, you can reroll that one too. Personally, I dont. I am sticking with the RAI here, and it was intended to only be used once, when rolling for 1st turn/deployment. the whole sieze the initiative is a new thing that I personally dont see as applying to the rule. Again, this is my opinion, and, again, RAW does give you the freedom to take advantage of it.

Thats the same way that i had read it/was planning to play it under the new rules. It was a dubious question at the time so thought I'd get some Wolfy expert opinions on the subject. As it turns out not getting the re-roll didn't help him win so no harm done this time.

Thanx

Fang

As OID explained Old and Wise is still very much in use in 5th ed. I've explained this god knows how many times, and if I recall a few of them (not just once, it's been a few times now) feanwulf asked the same question and I answered...

Just use the search function, it's there for a reason, I promise you, if you can't find it in the search then by all means post, and there are some of us who will respond, but try to use the search function first.

for example, when I type in Old and Wise I get like 50+ topics to choose from, it's all there! :sweat:

I had had a look back through 2/3 pages of threads and into the 3 or so FAQ threads but found mentions rather than a clear and concise, tho i will double check next time.

Thanx for the answers tho

Fang

Archived