New Apocalypse 50K point army WIP

I kid you not - my local GW independant offered 25% off, plus Apocalypse specials, plus other specials...

Imperial Guard A$4000

Ultramarines A$3000

Still got about A$1000 to go yet

PLUS paint and green stuff!!!!

I shuffle and balance the costs and the frieght and the discounts from 4 different GW stores, 2 different States, 1 local stockist, and lately Scrapdragon mail order.

I'm also on the lookout for GW Manager specials...

In one store I ordered the Direct only IG Company - I got 3x 10% vouchers and about A$50 worth of glues and undercoat spray.

In one store I bought the Marine Battle Company (RRP but a mega savings bundle non the less) and he sold me a Terminus LR for A$5.

In another store I was offered 1 free old Landspeeder if I bought 2 new ones - so I bought 8 and got 2 Typhoons an 2 Tempests for FREE

I got a good payout when our Company at work changed hands and my wife supports my bad habit... "so, if you want to" she says

The rest is HISTORY

When all is complete, I have a 12' x 6' game table (the pics show one third) I plan to line the Ultras against the Guard... sort of like the GW GD display "Battle for Macragge"... awesome

Edited by Lord Castellan Mik

That's whole bunch of models you got there. May I ask about your painting experience? Maybe pics of older models of yours?

Keep up the good work <_< Tank factory thing is great for building those models.

I'm hopefull that the force will be complete, build wise by christmas... paint wise, I expect I will have undercoat and prime colours for all components soon after... but, maybe a couple of months more for final completion.

MY prior painting skills are virtually non existant... I played Epic, mostly unpainted, for years, and back then (2ed) all the weapons were red and the paint was so thickly applied... I just didn't like the look - so I didn't bother. However, the paint jobs now are truly incredible and I think I might have a chance to emulate at least a decent standard. (I would be very happy with "not bad"). The painting side is actually more scary for me than the money or the building.

I am very hopeful, especially after all the well wishes that you guys have given me, and the motivation to continue with this project. I am looking forward to the updates as much as you are.

And you never know, I'm well known for finishing tasks ahead of schedule... we shall see.

Update...

Last 4 APCs from the Battle Company

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0411.jpg

Predators, APCs and Razorback in storage system

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0412.jpg

Next is Whirlwinds and Vindicators

I've got 6 Vindicators and 13 Landspeeders to do

I'm also buying 2x Redeemers, 1x Landraider, and a couple more Dreds (using the weapons to convert the AOBR Dreds)

The same with the AOBR Termies (converting some to look different)

Then there's the full Battle Company and conversions to make the 150+ (AOBR and other ed minis) look different

And finally... the spcial characters - Calgar, etc

Update...

I meant to explain what I meant by "Tank Factory" and "Rhino Factory" earlier.

This is the Factory style of assembling multiple similar models at the same time

5 Whirlwinds ready to go...

Stage 1: Cut all parts required from sprue and layout on work space - place unused pieces in Bitz box

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0413.jpg

Stage 2: Trim, then trial assemble, then glue the basic hull

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0414.jpg

Stage 3: Trim, then trial assemble top plate (Do not glue yet)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0415.jpg

Stage 4: Trim, then trial assembly, then glue the hull sides

This is a unique way to hold multiple kits in a gluing clamp (Work bench)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0416.jpg

Stage 5: Assemble top plate onto hull (Do not glue yet)

5 Whirlwinds done: 3x Vengeance Payload, 2x Castellan payload

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0417.jpg

Stage 6: Assemble weapon system if applicable (Do not glue until painted)

Completed Whirlwind - This piece is held together with bluetac

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0418.jpg

The reason for not gluing just yet is so final detail painting can be done easily

Next... 6x Vindicators (In 4 days time - back to work tomorrow)

Thanx for the well wishes and motivation so far

Mik

By God...

Do you live anywhere near Melbourne? My brother and I need to giggle in terror (yes, in TERROR) more often.

++Dang, just noticed the 'Brisbane, Australia' thing.++

Edited by OwenCrute

Dreadnought= right arm= twin linked lascannon/ assault cannons Left= close combat w/ flamethrower or storm bolter, or Missile pods..

Terminators: Close combat box= 5 sets of thunder hammer+shields/ 5 sets of lightning claws. Normal box= 5 sets of storm bolters, 5 sets of power fists, 2 chain fists, assault cannon and heavy flamer (right arm) and cyclone missile launcher.

I don't think the close combat comes with the assault cannon. Its been a while.

There could possibly be more, but I'm pretty sure that its

Edit: I don't feel like clogging another thread with a conversation so...

No prob Lord Mik. The LRE is coming along...but Dogma's new post has me confuzzled...so I'm sorta stuck with painting a squad of Termies and a Libby.

Edited by Shortsonfire79

Still none of them are painted. Ignoring the money, the fact you've never painted even a 1500 point army let alone something large like 5K and now you decided to tackle 50K? I can't even get a squad done a week, but I paint to a high standard. I painted one goblin in about 3 or 4 hours the other day, that was reasonably quick for me...

I'm not sure the wisdom of gluing it all together first. I've found I get stuff done better when I don't even take it out of the package until I plan to paint it. The only thing worse than a bunch of unpainted models, is a bunch of primered models...

Good luck

It is a valid point that you make Muskie, however, that is why this game attracts so many different types and styles of people... personal choices.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a daunting task, and a challenge. I have invited you all into my dream... I could have kept it to myself, but I thought that if I am awestruck by the sheer magnitude, then how would others feel.

That includes the gamer with one mini painted to GD standards in a month to the novices who paint a whole company in a few days, me included.

I have the minis now and I'm not giving them back, nor am I leaving them to the many followers who want me to adopt them... however, I'm also not stupid (insane yes), nor do I intend to waste any money by not following through with this project. Truly, only time will tell... either way, I very glad that I undertook this WIP and many well wishers agree.

I thank you for your observations and comments, and of others too, It all keeps me honest and determined to produce a finished product that not only will I be proud, but I hope that you all out there are too.

Thanks again, Mik

This is my favourite thread ever, just wanted to say that.

Honestly, I don't see painting to a decent standard too daunting a task for someone with your industriousness. I'm assuming (and this is a fairly safe assumption) that you will have an industrial paint sprayer.

1. Basecoat all models.

2. apply single colour to all models

3. Spray on ink to models

4. Detail work (joints, eagles, etc) with a brush, one colour at a time to groups of 5 or 10.

5. Take lots of photos so we can continue drooling.

--Me

This is my favourite thread ever, just wanted to say that.

Honestly, I don't see painting to a decent standard too daunting a task for someone with your industriousness. I'm assuming (and this is a fairly safe assumption) that you will have an industrial paint sprayer.

1. Basecoat all models.

2. apply single colour to all models

3. Spray on ink to models

4. Detail work (joints, eagles, etc) with a brush, one colour at a time to groups of 5 or 10.

5. Take lots of photos so we can continue drooling.

--Me

I agree, even if you don't have the paint sprayer, GW's that they just came out with works wonders and since you seem to be knowledgeable with the store, you shouldn't hesitate to pick one up if needed. It will definitely cut your time drastically. I had to paint a bunch of boxes of terrain last week and the sprayer cost me at least 1/6th the time it would have by hand painting with a 1-2" brush.