New Apocalypse 50K point army WIP

Wokkers: I joined 3/9 Light Horse in Adelaide, then transfered to 2/14 Light Horse in Brisbane.

Wiplash: There is only 1 razorback because thats all that is in 1 boxed battle Company... I have not calculated any more just yet - I've been utilising LR for now.

I'm hopefull that the force will be complete, build wise by christmas... paint wise, I expect I will have undercoat and prime colours for all components soon after... but, maybe a couple of months more for final completion.

Daboarder: My local GW is Garden City, my address will be secret for now... where's that chain and padlock

AND guys... Paint it is, lets see how I go with that, as I said, the last time I painted a Marine was 2nd ed and in Epic

the citadel spray gun is rubbish. get a cheap (in relative terms) single action air brush. they work very well for batch base coating and you can get a cheap compressor so you don't have to waste money on 'air-in-a-can' which is highly unreliable and expensive.

If you're not confident about your painting abilities...you could try something different.

First work out a way to get a 'basecoat' finish your are happy with (thats also speedy). Probably an airbrush/wash finish on your minis (the forum crowd here can probably come up with a way to this). Don't worry about any detailing, just cover the figure and get the tone you are happy with. On what paint to use, yup the foundation paints are good, but its going to be real expensive to cover that lot even with just one coat. Looking around for a cheaper airbrush friendly (foundation isn't that friendly) near match might be a good idea.

Then 'try' a few figures getting all the detailing on. If you are unhappy, or get frustraited...then you can seek the services of a professional painter to 'finish' these minis (it would be a lot cheaper that way). On the tanks/APC front, see if there are any 'model' societies in your area, these guys know how to weather armour VERY well....so you could get them to finish your armour.

Spraying is going to be hard as it looks like you have fully assembled all your infantry, so I'd suggest making a rack of a piece of wood with 10 nails/screws sticking out of one side with about 3" inbetween each. Then securely add half a wine cork to each screw to form a platform to 'blu tack' a mini and its base onto your spraying rack. Then its going to take a quick spray from front/below (as near as you can get), and rear below. Then frontabove and rear/above and finally front rear if needed. You can also look at washing the minis on the rack if your bluetack is good and the minis with stick around for this.

So look to experimenting on 'how' to achieve the perfect armour on both your infantry and tanks, then decide what to do. To paint that lot ups is going to also take an assembly line to do. But a little experimentation, trail and error could work wonders for you and your project. So are you looking for a way to airbrush in a few a number of coats as possible and how to wash the minis for the best effect?

Then you got 300 bases to worry about :D

Edited by Mildew

Need some advice guys...

I've been reading up about painting UM's and I've come across multiple versions all from GW sources

The base colour has been indicated as UM Blue OR Regal Blue OR (the new Foudation colour) Mordian Blue

WHICH is the Ultramarines colour

I know one answer is... whatever colour that YOU want to paint them

BUT... why are there differences... Comments please

Mik

Edited by Lord Castellan Mik

Differences? UM Blue is (in my eyes) a kind of grey-blue. Regal is a dark blue, (kinda like navy, but brighter?) Mordian is a rich blue...(Yep. I suck at color explanations.)

I would base coat with the Mordian mixed with UM blue, because it would give you a darker basecoat, so then highlighting up to UM blue would be easier.

Thanks... I like the sound of that combination

Also, I asked WHY the differences, not WHAT are the differences... I know that it is as philasophical as Sicarius fluff and GW reasons for this or that, but does anyone know of a reason (if, in fact, there is a reason other than for selling a new paint)

Mik

What level of paint job are you considering? Are you still hooked on absolutely being ultramarines?

I'd consider a darker paint scheme, maybe dark green or dark blue and using camo on the vehicles. Easier to paint (camo is way easier than you would think) and will look way more realistic in very large forces.

It would probally be a good idea to look for a nice alternative water based paint that you can buy for cheap in large quantities. Craft store paints can work really nice for airbrushing over primer if you get the right viscosity down, then look at a nice thin coat of the gw washes or a nice equivelent, the vehicles would look great painted the same> Using some more assembly line painting on the vehicles will speed up the process very quickly. I look forward to seeing more, but I agree, are you gonna have some samples model soon?

......or you can commission..... ;)

I'm afraid I am still UM tainted

However, I am going camo with my IG

At the moment I'm leaning toward basecoat then a few drybrushing layers and a wash... seems easier for a "noob", and quicker for the numbers

But at a later stage... maybe when its ALL finished to that level... I might do more detailing like vents on the backpack, etc

as far as painting UM the best color is UM blue. i can think of no reason why you would have read otherwise (however, i was never a big thinker :lol:). i do a basecoat of straight UM blue over the armor areas. i then hit it with a very dilted wash of regal blue. go back and pick out the armor in UM and finally highlight with 75/25 UM and fortress grey. the reason i do it this way is that its quick.

this of course is just another recipie to add to what ounds like an an already large collection ^_^

I'm afraid I am still UM tainted

However, I am going camo with my IG

At the moment I'm leaning toward basecoat then a few drybrushing layers and a wash... seems easier for a "noob", and quicker for the numbers

But at a later stage... maybe when its ALL finished to that level... I might do more detailing like vents on the backpack, etc

Dry brushing never seems to work well on SM infantry figures (works well on tanks however).

One way to 'speed paint' SM marines and also do edge highlighting is to actually undercoat in the highlight colour and then paint the mid tone on. You just paint the large areas in, and paint up to the edge highlights (its a lot easier than trying to paint a perfectly straight line), its more a system of painting by numbers technique than perfecting a steady hand :D

However this would take about the same time to do as edge highlights (its just an easier way of doing it), so would slow you down. Doing 200 marines at once is a daunting task and bordom could kick in if it starts to take too long.

I'd look for two colours, a mid tone and highlight tone, then a wash with the GW black wash over the entire figure to help filter the paint and provide the darkest tone. The two blues shouldn't be too different from each other as you're aiming at painting straight from the pot, and not mixing to achieve a 'heavy metal' level of artistry.

Alas I'm not in your area to suggest any craft paints, but they usually do need to be watered down and sometimes suffer coverage issues when watered down with the lighter colours.

I'd undercoat in 'black' as this will help tone down the usually brighter craft paint hues, and if you miss anything it will hopefully look like shadow.

How do I know all these 'cheats', because I've the painting skills of a chimp

Hey,

Firstly props for going all out and getting a huge army, i'd love to do the same but painting is a put off for me.

A suggestion may be to get an undercoat spray the colour of the chapter your doing. then use boltgun for bits on the guns / vehicles. Red for the eyes then 2-3 more colours for details. this will cut down on the painting time by a ton. mainly because you undercoat everything say blue, then touch up each marine with boltgun bits, eyes and minor details. then ocne you've completed all that you can come back and do more details as you feel fit.

Your army is so big that that level of painting is enough in my opinion to make it wow worthy.

Who cares about the cost, your having fun, unlike drink you've something to show for it ;)

Edited by Duce