New Apocalypse 50K point army WIP

My brother's gotten bored with this thread due to the lack of painting.. If you're actually starting, I should tell him.

The 'organize a painting party' idea seems good as to getting them all painted, but bad as to getting the all painted consistently.

Every painter at the gathering will have a different modicum of skill, a different set of standards, a different drybrushing technique et cetera. If you aren't looking too closely at the models, you could get away with it, especially if you're only going to beusing certain segments of the army at once (As I'm sure you will have to, we don't all have 50,000 points ;))

Of course, there's also the problem of theives at aforementioned painting party.

My brother's gotten bored with this thread due to the lack of painting.. If you're actually starting, I should tell him.

The 'organize a painting party' idea seems good as to getting them all painted, but bad as to getting the all painted consistently.

Every painter at the gathering will have a different modicum of skill, a different set of standards, a different drybrushing technique et cetera. If you aren't looking too closely at the models, you could get away with it, especially if you're only going to beusing certain segments of the army at once (As I'm sure you will have to, we don't all have 50,000 points :lol:)

Of course, there's also the problem of theives at aforementioned painting party.

A painting party wouldn't get close to the sort of amount, and I'm sorry but I personally would feel hard done by to spend a day painting someone elses figures and come away with nothing to show for it (I've got many thousands of points worth of my own stuff to paint).

If I was up that direction I'd offer myself for hire, I consider myself a pretty decent speed painter, but as said above there wouldn't really be a consistency to it if different people paint.

(One exception, if one person painted all the vehicles and someone else painted all the troops, that could be doable).

As said before,

Simply getting a dcent spray to represent the main colour of his army, then doing minor details like the guns, eyes, belts, shoulder trims, eagles would be sufficient enough... the spray alone would make them better since they'd all be the same colour and provides 2 things.

1- making the job of painting so many models much quicker and easier

2- much cheaper than getting someone to paint them.

I completely agree, it also depends n the color scheme you want to do, is it something that can be easily mas produced? For example you primer everything white and then find a decent spray red that is not glossy, any imperfections can be fixed by red touch up paint, but if you chose yellow, not so easy an details may stand out the wrong way. If you can get a painting party organized I would suggest offering them some kind of reward like a LR or a rhino, keep number of people down to a minimum, and as mentioned bfore, break them down one person does vehicles, one does assault troops, one does terminators....etc.

WOW. Just wow. No other words.

Friend, I am crossing figures for you to finish this project. The hard part is ahead. PAINTING! ;) Hold on and get airbrush. It is the only convinient way to paint this... THIS.

Good luck. The world is watching on you.

Hi all

Sorry for the missing life

I've been buying more stuff... I'm waiting for delivery

On the way is a spray gun, GW Mega Paint set, rare earth magnets, and 2x Realm of Battle

My wife still worships me (athough I worship her more), the basement is getting crowded, and...

I'm doing this project right... I'm taking your support, comments and advice (amused by any negativity), and taking my time to ensure an excellent result.

I"M NOT EXPECTING A GD RESULT... but it will be awsome to see all that blue

Thankx again and be patient... I'm still here

Mik

You may not be expecting a GD result, but I'm expecting a colored result =-D

Good to hear you're not dead yet.

And I still envy you, I spent a couple of months saving up to get the Mega Paint set, and got to about $180, and went out and bought the Ravenwing Battleforce and more... =-(

Negativity? HAH!

Why buy the Mega Paint Set? Imho that's a real waste of money. Considering this project, that is probably not the best argument against it, but still...

You will probably need a maximum of ten different colors with this project, and that is much. Why buy all the colors? By the time you get to use some of them, they will probably have dried out .-.

What you say is true, however I have a number of reasons

Price... A$660 worth of stuff for less than A$300... half price

More stuff... I've got the hugeSM force, a hugh IG force, a large Ork force, the City box of terrain plus more, and 2x Realm of Battle game boards

I think with all that I might even get to use the purple

Value... I worked out what I needed for basic colours and it worked out at almost $A300 without brushes

More variety... If you only have 2 colours, then you only think of 2 colours

Does that make more sense?

I have heard stories from both sides... so I bought both

I've got the GW one and I've got a standard single action kit

I've also got the adapter to attach them both to a can of air or my compressor

I've always believed in stories... but you have to see for yourself in the end

Mik

But Shorts...

It's called working for a living, finished raising a family (kids all grown up and let home - fending for themselves - asking dad can I have some of your Ultras...)

It's called having a fantastic partner (who doesn't care what you do as long as mutual respect and understanding in the most important thing...)

It's called... When you have it... you decide what you spend it on and when

When you don't have it... you have to ask for it and then wait for them to give it to you

And... Now, I have it (but it's taken 20 years of not having it)

And... I only share with my family

And... No... I am not adopting anyone

Mik

Still waiting for the painting components to be delivered, however, the rare earth magnets have arrived

So while I'm waiting...

I was asked why I only had 1 Razorback (the answer being only one came with the Battle Company box), but it made me think...

I've got 30 Rhino variants and if I used RE magnets on side hatches (predator sponsons) and roof panels (predator and whirlwind turret mount panels) I could interchange them as required... with a few spare bitz, I can present 30 Rhino's or 5 Razorbacks at the pull of a magnet.

I believe that I have enough varieties of Predator (Annhilator/Destructor) and sponson fitouts (HB or Lascannon) to not worry about a need for swap over with RE mounts on these.

Question though, for you RE experienced lot... do you use plastic glue or super glue to affix them in place?

I will be starting right away and pix will follow as before.

Mik

What are RE magnets? The same thing as Neodymium? Rare Earth...oh wait...they are Rare Earth uh? =-D hahaha

Super glue for RE magnets, PLASTIC glue, is for plastic =-D And make sure, once you get the magnet to stick, you put a bit more around the sides.. So you don't have to worry about it getting sucked off.

First RE magnet mock up is working very well... in fact I'm stunned how well

My plan is to convert a number of my Predators and Whirlwinds into Rhino's as required

I will magnetise the sponson panel to be interchanged with a magnetised Rhino side panel, and magnetise the roof access panel to interchange with a Rhino roof panel or a Razorback roof panel.

They will give me Rhino's and a Razorback to transport my second Battle Company, instead of Drop Pods, as required

Unfortunatelly, my camera is playing up with close up shots - too blured

Good pix to follow ASAP

Mik

Update...

Not really happy with pix though

For the side hatch, a hole was partially drilled (not all the way through) then the RE magnets x2 placed partly in holes (they stick up a bit)

For the sponson plate, a hole was drilled all the way through then the RE magnets x2 placed fully in holes flush on the inside rim (sticks out on the outside a bit) otherwise the panel would not fit in position

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0434.jpg

A hole was drilled all the way through the side edge of the hatch frame then the RE magnets x2 placed fully in holes flush on the inside rim (sticks out on the outside a bit) otherwise the panel would not fit in position

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0435.jpg

RE magnet in place from the outside

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0436.jpg

RE magnet in place from the inside

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/Karsrkinmik/th_100_0437.jpg

Edited by Lord Castellan Mik

Little update...

Paint delivery has been delayed... now Dec 7

RE conversions going along well... 6x Predators now done

That leaves 4 Predators and 5 Whirlwinds left, should only take a couple of days

Then I'm setting my table back up (12' x 6') ready for the RoB gameboards

Mik

:cuss :jaw: :jaw:

*faints*

Damn you, it's now 1:20am where I am and I'm not going to be able to get to sleep due to the dreams I'm going to have of owning such a force! My great respects to you sir for taking up such a monumental task and I wish you all the best in the coming weeks/months/years/decades/centuries/millenia. :P Heck, when you're done it may be the year 40000. ;)

Have you considered maing any "DIY Liber Apocalyptica* specials for your army out of the spares you have? It would fit in nicely as you appear to be bringing a huge force of UMs so specials won't go ammiss for such a battle. If you ever come over to the UK give me a buzz and see if you can get to rural Pembrokeshire to face a huge team of jealous Welshies. :cuss The transport would be fun though, how many battlecases do you have so far of have they not been considered yet?

Good luck once again and I'll pop by often to see if any progress has taken place. :)

Cambrius

PS: Regrding blue variants, my sig has used Regal Blue if that's any help.

Edited by Brother Cambrius