Desert Scorpions

Starks333

bah i got caught up babysitting and then ebaying all saturday, today its football, however i should be able to get some work done on the bases...excuses i know...however good news is i realised since the brass etch only covers 11 of the scouts, that means 4 need to go without the chest eagles, which means i can smoothen them out and start painting one right away

so instead of a useless, i have more assembled post, wait a bit longer and ill have some actual painting in progress

i wasnt expecting to be babysitting for ...8 hours... yesterday.......

Alex

primer went on terribly so blending has been difficult, i still need to up the highlights further

not quite as blue as the top middle as everyone picked, i had a more blued colour but it seemed to be a bit too much, once mixed, it didnt feel desert enough once i had it in physical form, the colour ended up with is a fair amount more green than i thought initially, but i think it will work best with the scheme

here's hoping

*****painting plan got changed so i removed the painted pics as i will be repainting them with hopefully quicker and more efficient techniques

the armour will be getting weathered with a sand colour, it makes it feel dusty...as for desert like, i am referring to the tone...the green doesnt make you feel desert, but this shade of green/blue does more so than other versions, because they are more yellowed/browned

the clothing is in a light sand colour, the gear and boots will be in a slightly more browny colour(like graveyard?)

not sure on the rifle yet

for the marines the secondary colour will be gold(more like gold+silver) to keep it along the same general lines as the sandy colour

you couls paint the rifles as if they are decorated with wood? so for the bolter: the section which is stereotyically coloured ((and not metal) dunno what you call it :)) that could be painted to look like a peice of varnished and stained wood? same for the stocks on the sniper rifles

just an idea

too much work i think, i want the techniques to be quicker so i can actually finish the army :P hahaha

i just googled a bit, and it seems most are dark scope, light coloured rifle, so i supposed i could go with a dark colour scope(dark grey or dark brown), and the tan coloured rifle

that blue/green/aqua IMO is mad sexy :P . Anyway, I don't think what the color is, really matters as much as the weathering and such. As far as the rifles I do like the wood idea, although there aren't alot of trees in the desert ;)

hmmm wood stocks wood look nice....we'll see ;)

im still debating the weathering, and which way ill take it...i should probably have done the liquid mask way, but then again, i like the uncomplicated look, so maybe ill up the dust and add some other colours...will be tricky :P

so i think im happy with the colour palette now...its definetly along the lines of colour ive always liked(blue green and browns)

the face went quite quickly, probably about, 20mins

i do still need a colour for the hose and cables for the sniper rifle, im not fully decided, im thinking of using the same colour on the rifle as the hoses, if i go dark or tan, im not sure yet

i should be able to get the process to go quicker as i work on multiple pieces, since i cant assemble tops and bottoms without the capes blocking things i think what i will do is work on the bases and lower halves until the brass etch comes in to fix up the top halves

the pants are quite simple to pump out, i just need my primer to not be a jerk this time!!!

i think the boots should be a darker colour, closer to a scorched brownor even closer to black rather than the snakebite leather/vermin brown that it is at the moment

the skin tone is manic! looks so real and blends in with the blue-green too

the fabric colour looks good too

and the weathering looks real too how did u do that?

did you paint on each splatter or is it a quicker dirtier method?

hmm why do you think darker boots?(keep in mind they will be same colour as the pouches and stuff)

the weathering is just stippling paint on with a brush...ive done a couple colours since, and i need to tone it down a bit on his back and then do some pigment work as well, to get more of the sand colour on his gear

threw some sand and dirt on the bases, once dry ill do another layer and maybe add extra details...i think for now im gonna clean up a bike and rider, and see how the scheme and plan works on one of them, before i go to town

i decided since the scouts are kinda plain and lack the scorpion logo im thinking about adding freehand, but have the chipped paint effect with the freehand

whos knows when done i might be so in love with the army i might keep it, right now im liking it a lot, and its even possible to sneak some of the stuff in at GD in squad categories if i want, so we'll see, money isnt really an issue, its more "am i really ever going to use this stuff" kinda thing :P

Alex

hmm why do you think darker boots?(keep in mind they will be same colour as the pouches and stuff)

i dunno thats just what i had imagined (dont see real army soldiers with puches the same colour as their boots do you ^_^ :P)

Looking really good... liking the blend of shading from a blue shadow to a green(er) highlight... almost alpha legion like...

The trousers look awesome... as does the face... the boots look fine but the one on his right foot could do with some added

definition in the shadows methinks...

The only thing that stands out as needing "work" is the near white line above his belt... and below the belt on the left side of his groin...

Though I suspect a little dab of wash over that would cure it...

An army of these guys would be very impressive... I wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell them...

Laterz...

Looking really good... liking the blend of shading from a blue shadow to a green(er) highlight... almost alpha legion like...

The trousers look awesome... as does the face... the boots look fine but the one on his right foot could do with some added

definition in the shadows methinks...

The only thing that stands out as needing "work" is the near white line above his belt... and below the belt on the left side of his groin...

Though I suspect a little dab of wash over that would cure it...

An army of these guys would be very impressive... I wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell them...

Laterz...

ah ya the boots right now are just a messy basecoat(friggin primer...)

as for the "white" its actually pigment, the sand colour, there will be more on the actual marines since they have more ridges, and the boots and such will show it off as will the base, its just the sand collecting in areas

i dunno thats just what i had imagined (dont see real army soldiers with puches the same colour as their boots do you ^_^ :HQ:)

:( this guy has matching boots and pouches hahaha

http://www.oziegoods.com/prodimages/HTsnip...R_B_112_6x8.jpg

maybe a greyish brown would work for the boots, but i dont thik dark brown will, too dark, especially against the light sand coloured base

i have the hose sandy colour right now and im not liking it...i need to adjust the hue if the sandy colour is gonna work, maybe with greys

im working on cleaning up the bikes though, so no painted updates till tommorow

Basing complete...the red chunks are small bricks, the bases will be primed white so i can obtain a bit extra brightness, and the bricks painted in a browny colour or sandy colour...you cant really see but i did some minor landscaping with putty so the bases arent just flat and boring

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/40k/Scorpions/100_5439.jpg

and heres the mass...i have cleaned about 3/4 of it, the HQ, his bike, the heads, shoulder pads and speeder parts need cleaning still

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/40k/Scorpions/100_5440.jpg

i was gonna prime and then take pics, but instead ill just say, scouts legs are now attached to bases, i will prime tommorow morning and hopefully get some painting in

i want to adjust the clothing a bit more the highlights dont stand out enough to me i think it should work without being a big difference

gonna lose a bit of time, as we started on the scenery again, since its desert wasteland themed as well...so we should have a couple updates there this week or next

Archived