[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

• 3 weeks later...
Amazing artwork, sir! It's nice to see a different take on the 40k universe that isn't as "gritty" as the standard art, but still captures the feel of the setting and characters. I hope you don't mind, but I'm so inspired by your take on Lion El'Johnson that I'm going to be borrowing some of the style you used for his armor for a conversion I will be working on.

• 1 month later...

Salutations, brothers!

It's been a LONG while since I updated this thread and you've all been quite patient with it (as well as Impetro Respondi's enforcers, our beloved Mods, for letting it resurrect every now and then!), so here is my latest piece to add to the Book of Primarchs: Vulkan, Primarch of the Salamanders!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/IGNEUS.jpg

This is an image that has been so slow in the making that I'm somewhat dubious as to its quality. I know it has a lot of merit, according to my standards, especially considering certain things I've had to settle artistically that the communities and fans alike haven't yet! The skin, particularly, has been a challenge. The Sallies, historically, have been the only african rooted Chapter of The Imperium (as far as I know); however, that was somewhat disputed with the latest Rulebook stating that they have jet black skin only, which may mean that they're only mutated caucasians. Personally, I think they're both: they have african features, but are very dark skinned due to their homeworld's pigmentation.

I've also tried to tap into his blacksmith origins adding a certain 'working' look to his gauntlets, which also sport the flames typical of the Promethean Cult.

So, I'll let you decide whether or not this is worth the wait as well as up to standard with the other renditions I've done so far.

Thanks again for all the comments, critiques, thoughts and ideas. I read them all and take them to heart when rendering this illustrations!

Aerion.-

Looking good!

I especially like the details put into the purity seals, the scale armour and the huge "dragon" skull.

I also like the detail of the "dragons" eating the light of his belt buckle.

As for the hammer, it sorta looks like it may be at a bit of an odd angle for his hand. - though hardly noticeable.

I also think that the sculpture on top of the glowing hammer head seems strangely unaffected by the glow and heat of the hammer head itself. - But again, is is not necessarily wrong, just my opinion.

All in all this image is full of great little details and all I can say is well done.

Keep it up! :tu:

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle

Another awesome piece, as usual, but I have one minor nitpick. It may just be the way that I'm looking at it, but it looks like his left hand (the one holding the hammer) is slightly turned towards his body, while the perspective on the hammer shows the top of it. Shouldn't we be seeing the bottom side of the hammerhead based on the angle that he's holding it?

Then again, it's been a long day, and my eyes may just be tired...

No, it's just he isn't wielding it he's just holding it, so he isn't firmly gripping it thus it is lying at a different angle then you usually get with space marines. Who said space marines had to be alway tense anyway? :)

At last, Aerion. I've been watching this topic for quite some time and wouldn't dare to "revive" the threadomancy unless if it was from you.

I dig this primarch, as usual. Gonne save it to my HDD, blackberry and ipod touch. :) I still use your Angelicus drawing for my background pretty much on ALL of my electronic devices. Hoo-rah!

however, i also truly enjoyed your Gregor Eisenhorn drawing with Ameos in B&W in your deviantart profile, too!

Thank you very much for all the positive comments, brothers! It's always a pleasure to read you all.

You also have pointed out some interesting issues regarding the perspective of the hammer on Vulkan's hands, all of which I've noted for further reference. Perspective is always the hardest part of illustrating and sometimes I don't get the angles I want right. Working traditionally, of course, only leaves me with the option of improving next time; which I'll do my best to.

The upcoming Primarchs-- ops! Did I say PrimarchS? I must've got that wrong. Or have I...? :P

Until very soon!

Aerion.-

May i say what a great rendition you have done on vulkan, very cool indeed. has a certain Hephaestus, futuristic look to him with his gauntlet's and hammer but thats just my personal opinion and i'd i like it :P

The upcoming Primarchs-- ops! Did I say PrimarchS? I must've got that wrong. Or have I...? :huh:

YES!

I can only hope that means that Alpharius and... company are next!

(And then, if Corax was after that, well, I'd be all set!)