[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

Would you guys please stop posting in this thread until there is a real update? You get my hopes up everytime for nothing!

Updates have always been infrequent with this thread, just be patient. ^^

Indeed!

I'm quite busy these days and I actually have stopped by the B&C to attend other affairs, aside from this thread. I was hapy to see it still active, though and to learn that you are even concerned about my welfare! But, just to keep the illustrious Impetro's melta-gun quiet, I would encourage everyone to take @cathar's advice and wait just a lil' bit longer for a real update around here. Threadomancy is a big no-no as it incites ranting and that's not what we're all here for. And since this thread is in 'suspended animation' rather than dead, I'd like for all of us to keep it that way.

I know it's been more than long enough since the mighty Khan was posted but rest assured that the missing Primarchs are being worked on (something its owner is keen on reminding me!). In the meantime, I'm quite full of commissions, projects and real life issues to post as often as I'd like, BUT, since many of you (faithful and loyal watchers!) will jump in excitement (?) seeing a post made by me here, I wouldn't want to dissaponit you with just words.

Here's a sneak peek at a commission I was requested to work on recently, which deals with something we don't get to see too often in Heresy Era illustrations. It isn't exactly 'Libris Primaris' material, but it is VERY relatd to it:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Sketches/TheMasterplan-FinalPencils.jpg

Yes, that's right! It's the Warmaster and The Emperor himself, working side by side when the light of the Imperium stil shone brightly and the 63rd Expeditionary Fleet was the pide of all mankind. Here we also see a very familiar face: Cpt. Loken from Horus' Mournival. I thought this was a great idea to tackle, since we've always seen the final struggle between father and prodigal son, but not much of their interaction when Chaos was still a whisper in the Warp...

So, thanks again for the great support and patience and I hope this will help quench your thirst for a while, whilst I work on Vulk--

+ TRANSMISSION ENDED +

Aerion.-

Hi Nicolas ! You seem to develop a taste for intricate drawings with plenty of people and well... ITS ACE !

Therefore, I saw Horus and the Emperor at quite the same size and of course both of us less gigantic, this is a bit too much IMHO. Oh, I discovered "The past recedes" recently and its a wonderfull idea with a splendid realisation. Many many congrats !!!

DS

Salutations, brothers!

Well, that didn't take long, did it? :P

I'm back in this post, not to update a new Primarch, but instead to finish what i started a couple of posts ago, when I showed you the pencils for this image you're about to see in its full-colour form:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/TheMasterplan.jpg

As I said elsewhere, I personally loved working on this piece because it threw at me a challenge that I felt was very exciting: to show The Emperor and Horus, The Warmaster, working side by side in the early days of the glory of the Impeium, while the 63rd Expeditionary Fleet was still a loyalist defender -and enforcer!- of the Imperial Truth.

There's lots of details to take in here: there's well-known characters the client requested to have (Cpt. Loken from "Horus Rising" and a previous illustration you'll surely remember from me) as well as a composition and atmosphere that create a very interesting and yet unseen aspect of these legendary warriors.

I think after seeing so many imagery of father and son fighting their last battle against one another, it's definitely original for me to tackle the first piece of artwork depicting their actual involvement in helping mankind out of the darkness together.

I particularly enjoy one thing above all: I like the way Horus is taking the lead in this operation and The Emperor is sort of agreeing with him, on a more soldier-like role, which I think emphasises the fact that he didn't want to be seen as a deity and had no problem stepping aside and confidently take in his Son's advice.

As for something that's already been quite noticed, I'll just give the explanation here so you know why I did what I did with the sizes on these characters. They're actually tweaked by myself to further enhance the individuals and their parts in the composition. To me, The Emperor was huge and by that I mean THIS huge as you see here. Astartes were man-sized compared to him and the Primarchs all varied, with Horus and perhaps Magnus being a tad taller. It just didn't ring 'almighty deity' to me that The Emperor was the same size as everyone else or even his Sons and that's why I made this particular choice.

Of course, it's an artistic liberty and you don't have to agree, but I just wanted to let you know it had an explanation.

So, I hope you enjoy this piece, not exactly a Primarch, but something very related to it! Let me know what you thought!

Aerion.-

It is great to see three of the most well known characters within 40k fluff to be in the same picture, not to mention the Custode. The contrast between gold and white is fantastic and really makes the peice stand out!

I have to say that i cannot see the Emperor being anywhere near that sort of size, maybe as tall as Magnus maybe as he is the tallest Primarch but that tall is a little OTT. It also would have been nice to see the Emperor and Horus without their weapons as they don't wear them all the time, and by the looks of the peice they are not going into combat but look merely 'to be discussing' a plan.

The lightning bolt symbols are missing on the Custode as well, something they are famous for. :P

Also to have seen a smile on one or both of the faces of the Emperor and Horus, a show of real affection between father and favoured son, would have been a nice touch, something that clearly they both did in each others presence. That would have given the peice that extra edge, i feel.

Saying that though takes nothing away from the artwork! :)

Great to see Loken! :D

Edited by Pulse

It's very nice :D !

I can't say I agree with your scale, but I understand where you're coming from. The Custode looks excellent, the only real drawback I see is that there is no visible lens for his eyes :P . His weapon also looks rather . . . tiny? It doesn't look truly imposing. This is another silly one, but I can't really tell what Horus is supposed to be holding in his right hand, can you say? The body language is very well done with the Emperor "stepping aside" for Horus, as you said.

I know it's not really a focus of the picture, but I really like what you did with the tactical map.

The only question I have is that in the picture, on the far, far left, left of Loken, is that supposed to be another Luna Wolf?

KHK

As always, Aerion, I adore your artwork. I really like how you pictured Horus - although he is The Emperor's loyal son at the moment his face already is kind of secretive and mean (not like it was described in books - honest and loyal face and so on...). And I really like it - it shows that the taint maybe has been already sown. Or maybe his face show his utter concentration on the ongoing battle, and there is no emotions in his mind, rather than will to win and hatred to enemy...

I hate to say it, but I think that there's a bit a lot of gold in the picture. I know that it has to be gold, all their armor, especially, but the Custodes is lost against The Emperor at first. But that's not a big deal, as I say, IMHO the main character here is Horus, and I really like how he is shown.

Again, great job!

PS can't wait to see Angron and Curse - whomever is first.

The whole scale thing... Have to look at it some more, I guess.

I'm still not sure that the Emperor is THAT much bigger than the Primarchs, if he's at all bigger than them!

Still, I understand the 'why' behind the choice.

I can't wait for you interpretation of CORAX and ALPHARIUS though...

Well, my brothers, lots of comments and lots of really useful tips and critiques! I'm glad that my artwork is something you can savour even when its got room to improve and that despite its flaws, you can still enjoy it.

The size of Horus and The Emperor, as well as the Marines is indeed something very questionable. But, then again, so is the third eye idea I implemented on Magnus, instead of his proverbial 'one eye' or the mutated one. I think you can always expect a twist from me, though I'll acknowledge it isn't always as true to the canon as it should be.

I also recognise the flwas in the character design of the Custodes, but I tried to stay true to Blanche's interpretation. I really like the man's job and to me, his are the definitive depictions of Warhammer 40,000 (whether we like it or not) and as such I tend to agree with the man when it comes to Pre-Heresy times. His version doesn't have the bolter on the spear, and the lenses are missing from the helmet, which is something deliberate I believe, to make them look more menacing.

The gold is indeed trickt in this one and I still have a lot to learn in terms of applying light naturally so the characters won't merge together and become unrecognisable... I'll bear it in mind for upcoming imagery.

There's also the matter of the faces and other details: as for the serious countenances on everyone, the client requested a 'just before planetfall' scene, so I made everyone wear their battle armour as well as having them stern and determined, facing the imminent descent into the newly discovered world. That on the far left is indeed another Luna Wolf, which I added to create a sense of depth and make the viewer feel as if he was in the middle of the battle room.

I'm always really happy and challenged when I see your posts and I thank you for all the kind compliments with which you grace my work. I'll go toil away on the next primarch and see you all when it's here.

Cheers.

Aerion.-

The whole Astarte size issue isnt going to die anytime soon. That beign said, your Emperor is FREAKIN HUGE. I swear, he could dwarf a Gorgutz, Ghazskull or even a Daemon Prince. :tu:

The thing with 40k is that any plot-hole or inconsistency can be explained. Why is the Emperor depicted so big? Because they have no film/photograph/whatever that shows him alive. So they make those giant-ass pictures, statues and paintings. Just like how people paint Jesus white. Sure, he was BIG but how big? We will never know for sure. See, I have a logical explanation. ;)

Anyway, awesome artpiece. The details are amazing. :tu:

Edited by Skritz

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Aerion.

As much as I love the picture of Horus and the Emperor, I feel the gold has a bit too much of an orange tint to it which makes it appear more like copper. If you have a look at this picture; http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/20772.jpg hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Great work though; I'm drooling over the prospect of your new Night Haunter.

Hello Aerion.

As much as I love the picture of Horus and the Emperor, I feel the gold has a bit too much of an orange tint to it which makes it appear more like copper. If you have a look at this picture; http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/20772.jpg hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Great work though; I'm drooling over the prospect of your new Night Haunter.

You never know he might be doing the armour Shining Gold colour. That is some what orange. :devil:

You keep being awesome Aerion the Faithful!!!!

can we make a new rule?

YOU CAN ONLY POST ON THIS TOPIC UP TO 3 DAYS AFTER A NEW PIC HAS BEEN POSTED

nothing matches the dissapointment of seeing it at the top of the boards, only to realise someones posted

"cool pics"

AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH

reason for edit : by the way

cool pics

Edited by Brother Martemis