final battle-real or myth?

chrac

Alot of the 40k novels discuss the idea that at the end of time, the emperor + the missing loyal primarchs + any loyal SM who died fighting for the emperor will gather for a last battle against chaos. Is this just mythology (like the later deification of the emperor) or will there really be a "final battle"?

(sounds strange asking if a fictitious world event is "real" or "myth", but there it is)

Another quick question- some of the older fluff talks about the emperor confering with the high lords of terra and the custodes from his internment in the golden throne, but the newer fluff creates more of an image of him being mostly unconscious or passive with the exception of the astronomicon and the tarot. It seems this later viewpoint would make more sense, as if he were able to have meetings with his lords then things would run alot more smoothly in the empire. Has GW retconned the old fluff or do I misinterpret something?

i thnk that its abit of both?? perhaps its a battle that takes place IN the warp... so that all the previously slain marines are somehow "revived" (even tho their geneseed has most likely been harvested)

could also be a figurative thing, being that each marine has "lived on" thru his successor that took the seed...

Another quick question- some of the older fluff talks about the emperor confering with the high lords of terra and the custodes from his internment in the golden throne, but the newer fluff creates more of an image of him being mostly unconscious or passive with the exception of the astronomicon and the tarot. It seems this later viewpoint would make more sense, as if he were able to have meetings with his lords then things would run alot more smoothly in the empire. Has GW retconned the old fluff or do I misinterpret something?

He was able to that for a short time after being placed in the golden throne, as far as I know it's always been that He was able to commune for some time, then stopped being able to as the demands of the astronomicon and all that got to be too much.

Well, the Eldar have a myth known as "The Rhana Dandra," which purports to be a projection of the "Final Battle" between the material universe and Chaos, which will end with the utter destruction of both. According to myth, the Phoenix Lords will be there, and the one to gather them together will be Feugan The Burning Lance, who will also be the last of them to die in the conflict. Whether it refers to events that will literally occur or not is open to debate.

GW seems to have a major Ragnarok event in mind and this is reflected in legends of the return of Guilliman, Jonson, Kahn, and Vulkan for the final battle, and Russ' return at the Wolftime, and The Emperor's rebirth. They're all separate legends that seem to match up. Then, as said above, the Eldar have "The Rhana Dandra" which is their Ragnarok event, plus the birth of Ynnead the Eldar God of death to kill Slaanesh.

If Abaddon really is Archaon's analog for 40k then he could be the "Herald Of The End Times", which seems likely since 5th edition has been declared as the "Time Of Ending".

It's possible that Abaddon's 14th Black Crusade, the full awakening of the Necrons and C'Tan, and the arrival of the full Nid swarm will all correspond to the Time Of Ending/Wolf Time/Rhana Dandra.

Just imagine the havoc.

Maybe Abaddon will talk the demon Primarch's into getting off their asses and joining his crusade.

The only real problem with all this is that the Tau don't have any real readily available source for a sudden surge of might which means they'd almost certainly be (more) screwed.

It is a realy cool idea and me and a friend have dicussed this a more than once and my opinion is that everything will fall accept for 1 thing: The Tau Empire they would just sit there in their corner of the galaxy and when all is over they will just march out and take everything that's left of the place :HQ:

GW seems to have a major Ragnarok event in mind and this is reflected in legends of the return of Guilliman, Jonson, Kahn, and Vulkan for the final battle, and Russ' return at the Wolftime, and The Emperor's rebirth. They're all separate legends that seem to match up. Then, as said above, the Eldar have "The Rhana Dandra" which is their Ragnarok event, plus the birth of Ynnead the Eldar God of death to kill Slaanesh.

If Abaddon really is Archaon's analog for 40k then he could be the "Herald Of The End Times", which seems likely since 5th edition has been declared as the "Time Of Ending".

It's possible that Abaddon's 14th Black Crusade, the full awakening of the Necrons and C'Tan, and the arrival of the full Nid swarm will all correspond to the Time Of Ending/Wolf Time/Rhana Dandra.

Just imagine the havoc.

Maybe Abaddon will talk the demon Primarch's into getting off their asses and joining his crusade.

The only real problem with all this is that the Tau don't have any real readily available source for a sudden surge of might which means they'd almost certainly be (more) screwed.

you forgot the most important primarch of all in that post.... Corax!!!!! hehe, just kidding, as we raven guard are known for sticking to the shadows, its easy to forget that he walked off as well as vulkan, russ, and all the others. as to the whole Ragnarok, or armageddon (like the biblical one, not the planetary system in 40k)

as for the Tau just sorta "chillin" in their corner of the galaxy, i truly doubt that would happen... perhaps the "Main" tyranid swarm will overwhelm the Tau area first... perhaps the tau would be saved from extinction by the heroic acts of [insert chapter name here] and the noble orks... did i just call the orks noble??? in any event, it would provide an interesting side story to have the tau "saved" by orks

It most likely won't happen because GW isn't creative enough to deal with it. It is just your standard end of the world myth that cultures have on Earth. It is something fun to boast about "Just wait till Russ comes back, he will beat your army so bad."

though that wont stop folks from dreaming up how it would work, or what would happen and how things would play out... i suspect that GW is trying more for a static wartorn galaxy, where things dont really change... there is always war, and always people dying in massive numbers... yet somehow there is no catalyst event to spark the war to end all wars. plus, where would GW take the game/story arc if the "final battle" came and went... there theoretically couldnt be too much to do after the end of the most horrific war the galaxy had ever seen coming to an end... i mean, sure we'd probably only be left with something like the IG, the Orks, the Necrons, some Nids, and possibly a severely depleted marine force..but that vast majority of life in the galaxy would be extinct... and knowing GW, Chaos cant possibly win... because the Smurfs are just TOO cool...

Ideally they just make Warhammer 50,000 and tell us how it all played out in the end without us going through it. Then treat 40k as the Horus Hersey is now and fill in the details in reverse.

That way we can get a whole new mess of radically different models and convert all the inbetweens. The Marines of an Imperium where technology is again understood, Tau who've existed for 10x longer, hyper evolved Nids....whatever. Awesomness abounds...if they don't screw it up.

far as i remember he doesnt have one as "prophetic" as Leman Russ... something more along the lines of he'll just come back when the time is right, and reclaim his throne and mastership of the now chapter.

though, i did just come up with a question.... IF this epic final battle were to take place, and all the primarchs who are still "living" rise up and fight... do you think they would reform their legions, or that their successor chapters would willingly accept the rule of a Primarch, after having had 40 some odd millenia of autonomy without them???

obviously Russ is a no brainer, since there arent any successors from the SWs, in fact, other than the 12 great companies, the only org. with the same geneseed is the 13th co.

but i cant see the Smurf successors all lining up to be with papa smurf all of the sudden... some of them might be afraid of him having an anurism because of their deviancy from the Codex

I think its likely alot of chapters would fall into line with their Primarch if he returned. From what I've read it sounds like alot of the Ultramarine successors will follow requests made by the lord Macragge (sp), also all (as far as I know) Dark Angels successors have the Inner Circle, and its the same inner circle that crosses between the chapters however Azreal is the only Supreme Grand Master of the Inner Circle so technically all the Dark Angel Successor chapter masters are subordinate to him even if not officially.

I really wouldnt read too much into that bit of canine excrement about everyone following where lcagar leads. For a start, he asked Dante to command over him at the second battle of armageddon (as did Tu'shan of the salamanders IIRC)... Doesn't like to admit to that one on his CV now, does he...? :devil:

Ironfather0 Posted Today, 03:54 PM

its said that ferrus mannus will return at the darkest moment to lead mankind. As of right now he's training in an "unearthly paradise"

:P Ferrus Manus had his head cut off.

Well, so then he will return with his head missing... :P

Archived