Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

Gorgeous artwork. I love the subtle highlighting of the DA figures at the beginning of the post compare to the librarian. I find the librarian is a tad OTT with the highlighting compared to the realistic and beautiful subtle highlighting on the other figures. I do hope there is more to come as your work is inspirational to all, both amateurs and professionals.

Hey,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I rather think that I've become a better painter which shows through my increasing use of sharper highlights. Sure, I experiment with colours and light, and sometimes the highlights come off quite sharp in the photos. But I do consistently use extreme highlighting on power armour in general. I find that it adds more luster and depth to the model.

However, on some models, such as the librarian, where the base colour is quite dark, the highlights will seem more blatant. The Deathwing termie I'm working on now won't seem so OTT as you say - since it's base colour is so much closer to the sharpest highligt (bleached bone to skull white).

Cheers,

vadskær

And thank you too for the reply and your thoughts. I am always finding I am learning every day something new in this hobby, and great painters like you, aid and inspire. I just hope I can do half as much. Can't wait for the next photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Easter everybody!

I've just returned home today after some nice and relaxing days at my parents, where I spent a lot of time playing with my 2 year old nephew Mads Lukas :)

I also managed to find time to paint a bit, and I got this little fellow all finished and ready for peer review by all of you.

I present a Deathwing Terminator with storm shield and thunder hammer - the named Sergeant Gideon from the latest Space Hulk boxed set. I opted not to remove all the nice gems and more BA-themed symbols as it is such a gorgeous sculpt. However, there are limits to the design, mainly because it is a few-piece snap-fit model. See for example some of the gems on his lower torso and the skull from his right clavicle (sp?). There, the plastic is drawn out and is continued all the way to the model in sharp contrast to the otherwise fine detail. The same is the case on the right calf where the armour meets the cloak.

I opted for some wear and tear on this model. It was fun to paint someting a bit different and it isn't the last time I will go that way. I intentionally made the wear and tear a bit random using a sponge and a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Scorched Brown in a similar style to what I use on my Imperial Guard vehicles. I find this looks a bit more realistic than the few specks and scratches some painters use.

Otherwise, he was a blast to paint with a rich opportunity for personal heraldry and nice little details.

Base as usual from Scibor. Have at it Gents :(

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_30747.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_156890.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_164406.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_149541.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_82120.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_227624.jpg

Really nice. The sponge work looks great. I would think about putting in some of those scratches and nicks into the armour as well. As it is, it looks like it has been naturally chipped by wear but not necessarily in a battle. Adding some bullet marks and weapon scratches would help give it this feel.

@ elohimalpha: Thanks for your comment - and let's see some of your DIY marines :)

@ koran: Thanks a lot for your kind words! Yes, I agree that the wear n' tear looks more casual and not as a result of direct punishment from some obstinate Tyranid. However, I think a more blatant battle-damange/bullethole might look a bit too harsh if not done right.

@ Lord Ragnarok: Thanks mate - yes, I also like the effect the purple gems give. I have a limited edition DA Captain, which I think will recieve a purple cloak to go with the other colours.

@ PorridgeMeister: Hmm, no, I still think I need to lean loads more before I'll even consider entering - but nice idea though

/vadskær

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again all,

Damn, after a hectic month working as a full time personal trainer, there hasn't been too much time for paint and hobby stuff! Where I used to paint almost everyday, now I'm down to maybe once or tops twice per week. Of course this slows down production quite a bit, but I hope the coming months will see a greater output of finished models as my working hours begins to settle down.

Today I have another Space Hulk terminator to present to you - a converted BA character. The only changes are in colours, since I find the sculpt to be very nice and balanced. It was a pleasure to paint, but the same difficulties - or should I say - challenges exists on this sculpt as the last one I posted.

I tried to do something new with this model, as I painted a bit more of the armour in metal colours. Also, the cables are highlighted - weird, but strangely satisfying thing to do <_<

The base is only temporary since I'm waiting on a new shipment of my Scibor bases to arrive from Poland.

Lets get some comments and thoughts on this chap :-) Thanks for viewing!

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_85090.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_59376.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_47191.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_13857.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_106681.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_37996.jpg

Looking great as always Vadskær. I like the additional metallic accents, I started picking out the same areas as well for my DW like that.

The battle damage is wonderful and helps convey the story behind that model (which was already heavy with damage) all the better. You get the feel that this guy just took on a horde of nids and now stands triumphant over the last one he tore apart.

Hmmm why change the base its awesome??

As for all your models i cant describe how good i think they are ...... really wanna see more paint faster lol.

Hey Chaps,

Thanks for looking in and leaving a comment - that's appreciated :-)

I'm glad you like my latest termie! The reason that the base is only temporary is, that it's actually for my IG Lord Commissar model. But he'll graciously agree to some lend-lease with the Angels of Death while he's off getting his fancy cloak mended.

/vadskær

@ PorridgeMeister: Hmm, no, I still think I need to lean loads more before I'll even consider entering - but nice idea though

/vadskær

Are you insane!!!

That last Terminator you posted has Golden Daemon screaming all over it! :D

/vadskær

Are you insane!!!

That last Terminator you posted has Golden Daemon screaming all over it! ;)

@ MRCHAOS: While I fully appreciate your comment and praise, I still believe I have many miles to go before reaching Golden Daemon standards. The level of skill shown at the major Games Days are absolutely stunning.

As an example of what HAS won a recently GD here's a picture I snagged from CMON:

gallery_37571_3423_387353.jpg

This, and no less, is what I need to achieve in order to compete seriously.

/vadskær

• 1 year later...

Wow, time flies by! It's been over a year since I last posted here in the forums. Well, a lot has happened since then, and there are of course new models to show.

I haven't been painting as much power armor as usual, but have broadened my repertoire to include Dark Eldar, Orks and, of course Imperial Guard. This has enabled me to perfect some skills, which led me to apply for an opening on the 'Eavy Metal team. I actually got selected for the interview, was flown over from Denmark to Nottingham and had a couple of super cool, exciting and a bit scary and intimidating days in GW HQ. Alas, this job went to someone more experienced than me, but it was a major kudos just to be selected to be one of the last 6 to reach the interview. Also, they said they saw great promise in me and encouraged me to apply again in the future. Plus, they gave me really good feedback on what to improve with my painting in order to reach the top next time around :-)

The Ultramarine posted below was a model we were asked to paint before coming to the interview, following their specific instructions and guides, in order to see how close we could match their style.

More models to come, but for now, enjoy this fellow :-)

All the best,

Vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_1684.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_1841.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8570.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_48653.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_88494.jpg

I'm leaving for the States monday morning, so I thought I'd better post some more swag before I left :-)

Here's a Forgeworld Chaplain Dreadnought, painted to belong to the Blood Angels. It's a model I've been wanting to do for years, and finally found time to get it done.

Enjoy!

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_481840.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_329801.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_69909.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_237265.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_72943.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_407202.jpg

@ Captain Jaun Juarez: I think he actually passed with flying colors - but amongst those other 5 chaps, there was just one who overall did a better job on this model and the rest he brought for show :-)

Just to compare, here's first the 'Eavy Metal Marine and a picture of the very first two marines/40K models I ever painted, some four years ago (the green guy was the very first!):

gallery_37571_3423_1684.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_113936.jpg

I didn't mean "failure" in the traditional sense, just to point that out.

Hell dude, even your first Marines don't look bad; my first proper multi-part Marine was a horrendous thing where everything got painted green on the basis of "I can paint over it!".

I know - no offense taken :)

Yeah, I remember the time when the paint came straight from the pot and onto the miniature :)

Wow. Just wow.

I remember coming across this thread and seeing those Mars-pattern Dark Angels (or whatever you called them) a couple of years ago. I must say that your painting skills have improved greatly in that time and I am loving your recent work. Very professional and crispy clean :)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your work. And if ever you feel like sharing your other, non-PA, work, then please drop me a PM with a link! ;)

Cheers,

Ludovic

... :P

Seriously, everything in this thread is awesome. You should talk with DaemonPrinceDargor, who also makes awesome stuff, much in the same style as you. I'll gladly watch this thread for future work, regardless of what it is ;)

Also, the honour guard on page 16 are the best so far, despite the fact the skin tone you paint is beyond flawless ;)

Wow. Just wow.

I remember coming across this thread and seeing those Mars-pattern Dark Angels (or whatever you called them) a couple of years ago. I must say that your painting skills have improved greatly in that time and I am loving your recent work. Very professional and crispy clean :D

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your work. And if ever you feel like sharing your other, non-PA, work, then please drop me a PM with a link! ;)

Cheers,

Ludovic

Sure, I'd love to show you some of the other stuff (better get it photographed today then!). Do you have a suggestion as to how/where I can share it? Been thinking about starting a thread on Warseer, as it'll enable me to show all my stuff.

Thanks for the praise :-)

... ;)

Seriously, everything in this thread is awesome. You should talk with DaemonPrinceDargor, who also makes awesome stuff, much in the same style as you. I'll gladly watch this thread for future work, regardless of what it is :P

Also, the honour guard on page 16 are the best so far, despite the fact the skin tone you paint is beyond flawless :D

Thanks for the kind words - I'll be sure to have a look at Dargors work! Does he have a thread?

Archived