Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

@ Brother Sgt. Steine, TA Typher, Wayward: Thanks for the kind words mates - happy you like them.

@ TA Typher: any favorites?

@The Wolfmeister: <_< Happy you like my work, although I'll readily admit I don't always adhere to fluff....especially if it stands in the way of how I'd like to paint the model.

/vadskær

@ Cain Tiberius Kondrad: Hey Buddy, nice of you to give me praise once again :-) The skin tones for the cultist was painted up using the 'Eavy Metal recipe printed in the Dark Eldar issue of White Dwarf. Yes, I'm also quite happy how the captain turned out - especially the color combinations! I'm very tempted to apply them to more models.

@ Ludovic: Hey Mate, Merry Christmas! Did you get any new models or kits amongst your haul? ;) I got a "voucher" from the Missus for the upcoming new sculpt of Interrogator Chaplain Asmodai (she was going to buy me some Forge World Death Korps of Krieg, but thought that she'd better get me some of the new Dark Angels since I can't stop talking about them).

Next up is this Deathwing Terminator (basically just a regular Assault Termie blinded up with a DA shield). Mostly painted quickly for fun and to get used to working with the lighter colors again before the January releases hit home.

WIP picture:

gallery_37571_3423_143437.jpg

/vadskær

@ Ludovic: Hey Mate, Merry Christmas! Did you get any new models or kits amongst your haul? ;) I got a "voucher" from the Missus for the upcoming new sculpt of Interrogator Chaplain Asmodai (she was going to buy me some Forge World Death Korps of Krieg, but thought that she'd better get me some of the new Dark Angels since I can't stop talking about them).

Merry Christmas to you too, mate :) I hope that you had a good one!

No, I didn't. However, I've got quite a bit to do already and I'm going to be ordering and buying a few different bits and pieces over the next few weeks, so there will be some new stuff to add to The Pile! ;)

I'm personally not at all keen on the new Asmodai sculpt (from what I've seen in the pictures), but I'm sure that you'll do wonders with your brush! Also, I'm loving the DW Terminator, though he does look like he lacks a bit of depth. Maybe a bit more shading could change that a bit, if you find that it's a problem?

All the best,

Ludovic

Merry Christmas to you too, mate :) I hope that you had a good one!

No, I didn't. However, I've got quite a bit to do already and I'm going to be ordering and buying a few different bits and pieces over the next few weeks, so there will be some new stuff to add to The Pile! ;)

I'm personally not at all keen on the new Asmodai sculpt, but I'm sure that you'll do wonders with your brush! Also, I'm loving the DW Terminator, though he does look like he lacks a bit of depth. Maybe a bit more shading could change that a bit, if you find that it's a problem?

All the best,

Ludovic

Oh yeah, I forgot the haul you bought just before Christmas! Can you provide a link to your non-B&C blog? I'd love to follow your work on the Ork and your other non-PA models :)

Hmm, I think that once we see some 360 degree shots of Asmodai it will improve, but it is a bit static. However, I dig his menacing skull-faced helm. I also have the old metal sculpt, so there will eventually be two of him in my cabinet.

Yes, I agree on the lack of depth! That's once of the main challenges of painting such a bright miniature. I will be shading him slowly with several thin glases (sp?) of sephia and likewise colors to create some more nuance in the armor. That, plus a wee bit of battle damage will create a more detailed surface.

I am considering, that if I fail to achieve a pleasing result (by my own standards) with this, I might be tempted to paint them in pre-heresy colors. That, or I'll have to steal the 'Eavy Metal recipe :P

Cheers!

/vadskær

Oh yeah, I forgot the haul you bought just before Christmas! Can you provide a link to your non-B&C blog? I'd love to follow your work on the Ork and your other non-PA models :)

Hmm, I think that once we see some 360 degree shots of Asmodai it will improve, but it is a bit static. However, I dig his menacing skull-faced helm. I also have the old metal sculpt, so there will eventually be two of him in my cabinet.

Yes, I agree on the lack of depth! That's once of the main challenges of painting such a bright miniature. I will be shading him slowly with several thin glases (sp?) of sephia and likewise colors to create some more nuance in the armor. That, plus a wee bit of battle damage will create a more detailed surface.

I am considering, that if I fail to achieve a pleasing result (by my own standards) with this, I might be tempted to paint them in pre-heresy colors. That, or I'll have to steal the 'Eavy Metal recipe :P

Cheers!

/vadskær

Yes, it was quite a nice bunch of stuff, though I only got two miniatures for myself. But no fear, I'll be getting some more very soon :) Oh, and here's the link to my blog. I haven't posted an update in over a week, but I'm trying to get one ready for the middle of next week, so keep an eye out for it!

Oh good, I'm looking forward to seeing the old Asmodai(love that model) ;)

Ah, I see. Well good luck with the glazes of sepia (there, corrected that for you ;)) and I eagerly await the next update!

Cheers,

Ludovic

New Years Eve is approaching fast, and it's time to showcase this years final model - my Deathwing Terminator is finished. I toned the armor color down with Gryphonne Sepia, but the use of washes leaves it's mark and I was not able to get the smooth finish I would have liked. Also, they are extremely flat in their surface, so it dulled the natural shine of the paint down.

For the next DW termie I will do a test model where I will experiment with shading and toning with the standard paints. WiP pictures will follow!

For now, take care and have a very happy New Years Eve.

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_95299.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_125179.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_21416.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_68283.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_31158.jpg

Excellent work Vadskær! You've really managed to make the model's armour look less flat with the Gryphonne Sepia wash :)

Very happy New Year to you too and all the best!

Ludovic

I'm happy you at least like him Guys! Me, I think he is sub-par and not at all that great. The GS wash is not the way forward. I'm browsing online now to look for links or hints as to how 'Eavy Metal paints their DW.

Trials on a spare terminator has not yielded results yet. Tried washes/shading with different mixes of Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown, Chaos Black and of course the old washes. This will require further work.

/vadskær

Vadskær, that Deathwing Terminator looks fantastic! I really like the battle damage effect and your bone color is very nice and smooth. I'm not sure I agree with the red sword and green wings on the Storm Shield, but that's just personal taste. The cracked stone appearance though is what takes this to the top to me, it makes the model look awesome and gives it the weight of age, IMO. Keep up the good work, I keep coming back here for ideas and inspiration!

@ Stobz: I like the-off white color - can you provide a bigger picture than the one in your signature for a closer look?

@ Brother Duncs: Thanks mate - it's really a quite simple recipe. Two/three thinned layers of Bleached Bone over a white basecolour and then washed with thinned layers of Gryhonne Sepia and some Devlan Mud directly into the crevaces. Highlights are 1:1 Bleached Bone & White and a spot of pure white for a few select areas.

@Bryan Blaire: Thans a lot buddy, glad you like him. The red sword and green wings was done in order to bring in a bit more color from the traditional DA color scheme into the model. I thought about white wings and a gold sword but fancied a bit more color was in order to balance out the otherwise light armor tone.

The picture below is from the 360 view of the Dark Vengeance terminator sergeant. Specifically, I'm after the light toning/shading seen on the lower part of the hip plate and on his helmet cheeks. Subtle, but important in order to create depth in the armor.

I'm thinking that one of the problems with the very light look can be the undercoat (which is white). As you probably all know, the subsequent layers on top are directly influenced by the underlying color tone. I'm therefore thinking of starting with a more warm undertone, say 1:3 of Caltan Brown and Bleached Bone.

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_14004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Here's the hoard I managed to bring home today! My Limited Edition Codex and Standard Bearer should arrive from GW anytime now, whoop!

Looks like my paint schedule is pretty much set for the rest of the year ;-)

/vadskær

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t410/vadskaer/IMG_9649_zps15c72253.jpg[/img]"]http://http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t410/vadskaer/IMG_9649_zps15c72253.jpg

Aaand it looks like I'm doing things right, so I'll just hurry up and post my later model - a Deathwing Terminator from the Dark Vengeance box set, painted in the old Heresy colours.

Enjoy!

/vadskær

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t410/vadskaer/IMG_9650_zps8e48db1f.jpg[/img]"]http://http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t410/vadskaer/IMG_9650_zps8e48db1f.jpg

Archived