Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

Hello all,

I managed to shoot a couple of models this morning before leaving for a busy day. Here's what I got:

First up is an old model - it's great to illustrate progress over time. On the banner the DA symbol and roman numerals are transfers - this was before I painted everything freehand. Besides that, I think he's pretty cool :)

gallery_37571_3423_25964.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_27840.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_16545.jpg

Enjoy :)

/vadskær

Alright, next up are some new shots of my DA Company Master. I posted him on page 1, but the light was really not great, so I tried a couple of new pictures, since he's quite a nice sculpt.

gallery_37571_3423_36275.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_21506.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_45323.jpg

/vadskær

And last for today is a couple of WiP pictures of one of my Rhinos. The reason I'm posting it is that before I painted my tanks with drybrushing, but this time I utilised my Aztek airbrush for a really nice and even coat.

The interior is finished, but that's about it :)

gallery_37571_3423_14985.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_35850.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_42651.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_36138.jpg

/vadskær

more great minis!

how is your dred coming along?

Hey Chris,

Good to hear from you! Thanks a lot - the dread has been sitting still these past couple of weeks, since I've mostly been working on putting minis together for the warhammer bash we just had this weekend. I had the pleasure of giving my buddys army of Orks a giant whipping. Not a single marine lost, and a whole lotta dead warboss and Nob entourage smeared over the ground B)

I expect to get some more work done on the dread next week when the holidays kick in.

Truly awesome marines Vadskær.The Terminator Chaplain and Company Master are brilliant and are giving me the urge to start some Dark Angels!

I only have one question to ask: How do you paint the 'script' lines on the parchment and the purity seals? I have been trying to replicate the same effect but to no avail. Any tips?

Cheers.

Truly awesome marines Vadskær.The Terminator Chaplain and Company Master are brilliant and are giving me the urge to start some Dark Angels!

I only have one question to ask: How do you paint the 'script' lines on the parchment and the purity seals? I have been trying to replicate the same effect but to no avail. Any tips?

Cheers.

Goodevening Kable :P

Thanks a lot for your reply - always great with new voices in the thread! The script on the parchment and purity seals are done this way:

Mix up a small amount of 1:2 Chaos Black & Scorched Brown (the brown makes it look more like ink)

Thin this mixture to a semi-wash like consistency (it's hard to define, but the paint should be quite thin, almost transparent when tested on a piece of newspaper)

Use a fine detail brush - the smaller the better, and it has to have a nice point. Load a medium amount of paint into the brush (don't soak it, but enough to get the bristles holding some paint. Remember, since you've thinned the paint it will also go off the brush easily in cleaning, so don't worry about clogging the bristles)

Paint the script in thin, shaky lines. I normally try to get a flowing script and do a couple of pauses/breaks to imitate new words and such. This looks better than straight, solid lines I think.

Afterwards, touch up any mistakes with a bit of bleached bone.

Finish with a wash of Gryphonne Sephia to the central part of the parchment to blend the colours together nicely :)

Hope it was helpful - if not, don't hesitate to ask again :)

Cheers!

/vadskær

Mix up a small amount of 1:2 Chaos Black & Scorched Brown (the brown makes it look more like ink)

Thin this mixture to a semi-wash like consistency (it's hard to define, but the paint should be quite thin, almost transparent when tested on a piece of newspaper)

Use a fine detail brush - the smaller the better, and it has to have a nice point. Load a medium amount of paint into the brush (don't soak it, but enough to get the bristles holding some paint. Remember, since you've thinned the paint it will also go off the brush easily in cleaning, so don't worry about clogging the bristles)

Paint the script in thin, shaky lines. I normally try to get a flowing script and do a couple of pauses/breaks to imitate new words and such. This looks better than straight, solid lines I think.

Afterwards, touch up any mistakes with a bit of bleached bone.

Finish with a wash of Gryphonne Sephia to the central part of the parchment to blend the colours together nicely.

Thanks for this! I shall be trying this in my next painting session. Hopefully now i can spruce up my Terminator Librarian and Chaplain :)

Just picked up on this thread; gotta say Vadskær is probably one of the best artists for capturing faces and doing microscopic freehand. The attention to deal (interior Rhino design, pupils in the eyes) really brings out the emotion and placement of the figures. My personal favorite is his DA Chapter Master with TH, which gives a strong illusion of kinetic movement in a still figure.

I'm actually still puzzled about how you manage to get such accurate small detail work without laser guided painting gear. Maybe it has to do with lasic surgery or something! :devil:

The bone and purple robe. This is exactly what I have been after for my Sisters of Battle, and I'm assuming the bone is similar to how you did the helmets/Deathwing, but how did you get such a nice purple colour?

Hi Adam,

I promished you a recipe for the purple cape, so here we go :D

Undercoat Chaos Black

Base coat of Liche Purple (2 layers)

Paint a 1:1 mix of Liche Purple and Chaos Black into the recessed areas

Do a initial highlight using a 2:1:1 mix of Liche Purple, Warlock Purple and Bleached Bone. Paint this onto all but the deepest recesses.

Do another three highlights, each time with a bit more Bleached Bone to the above mix.

Make a wash of 2:1:1 mix of Liche Purple, Warlock Purple and Chaos Black and apply this to the whole area.

For the final stage, paint the raised areas with another highlight of 1:1:2 mix of Liche Purple, Warlock Purple and Bleached Bone.

Remember to keep the paints thinned a bit, so each layer takes advantage of the deeper and darker colour beneath.

Regards,

/vadskær

As always Vadskær, awesome work. I especially like the Company Master's face.

Hey Skull_Lord

Good to have you checking in here again! Keep watching, because the paint-holidays are rolling now :D

Just picked up on this thread; gotta say Vadskær is probably one of the best artists for capturing faces and doing microscopic freehand. The attention to deal (interior Rhino design, pupils in the eyes) really brings out the emotion and placement of the figures. My personal favorite is his DA Chapter Master with TH, which gives a strong illusion of kinetic movement in a still figure.

I'm actually still puzzled about how you manage to get such accurate small detail work without laser guided painting gear. Maybe it has to do with lasic surgery or something! :D

Hello Vel'Cone and welcome to the thread :)

Thanks for your comments and praises - the DA with the Thunder Hammer is also one of my favorites. He came out really nice :) I think the reason for my steady hand comes from a lifetime of drawing, painting and also playing guitars - all of which requires hand/eye coordination and precision. If this isn't the reason, it's probably just because I'm stubborn as hell when it comes to painting :lol: :P

Goodevening all.

While preparing for the paint-mania holidays I found a model that I painted last Christmas while relaxing at my parents house. I don't know why I painted him as a Crimson Fist. Maybe it was because of too many of my Mothers vanilla cookies...I don't know :P

Either way, here he is - a Crimson Fist assault sergeant with bolt pistol & powersword. The chapter symbol on his left shoulder pad is freehand and took quite a bit of time. Also, the other insignia on his knee and on the jumppack is, of course, also freehand.

The highlights come off a bit sharp, because of the light source when I took these pictures. They don't seem so harsh when viewed in real life.

C&C welcome as always.

Enjoy :)

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_15870.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_5755.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8224.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_17426.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_5967.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_11156.jpg

Nitpick attack! Crimson Fist veterans have two red gauntlets, to denote their veteran status. That said, awesome paint, and I apologize for bringing fluff into this thread. :tu:

When I eat my mother's chocolate chip cookies, it makes me paint Tau. Cuz I just feel so warm and fuzzy ;)

Awesome Crimson Fist. But I have one slight issue with him, Mk6 shoulder pads (studded) go on the left arm.

Other than that, just as awesome as your Dark Angels.

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well! (my painting mantra...but GOD it slows down the production line ;-)
Agreed. I spend days on every single miniature (spending hours after hours on the internet, doesn't help, either), but it just makes the miniatures look better than miniatures painted in a couple of hours. I am not quite as good as you, though (just gotta practice :tu: )

Awesome Crimson Fist. But I have one slight issue with him, Mk6 shoulder pads (studded) go on the left arm.

Other than that, just as awesome as your Dark Angels.

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well! (my painting mantra...but GOD it slows down the production line ;-)
Agreed. I spend days on every single miniature (spending hours after hours on the internet, doesn't help, either), but it just makes the miniatures look better than miniatures painted in a couple of hours. I am not quite as good as you, though (just gotta practice :P )

MK6 shoulderpads used to go on the left shoulder when part of a full set of MK6 armour.

Marine armour is often cannibalized for parts and frankensteined together to create hybrid suits containing parts from many different marks.

Several pictures in the marine codex and other books feature marines with studs on either shoulder.

You are right though in that the original placing was the left shoulder. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm back from a couple of weeks of well spent holidays which I've spent doing a lot of painting. I've worked a lot with my airbrush, but also experienced some problems with the nozzels and paint clogging. This created some frustration as my solvent wouldn't do the job of getting them clean again. I managed to dis-assemble the nozzles and properly clean them, so now the airbrush is back in business. My goal was to paint more than I did, but friends and sports took a lot of my time - which was nice, by the way :D

I was working heavily on three DA sternguards and three Vanguards when I had one of my sudden 180's and picked up on the model I showed you earlier in the thread - a WiP of a DA Company Master, who was to hold a chapter banner in his right hand. I had been putting him aside for a while since I knew that the next steps involved some difficult blending and freehand, which I knew would take a lot of time, and a lot of concentration. But it actually went really well, although I don't want to think on how many hours I put into the model.

Alright, before I continue I must thank you for all your comments regarding the Crimson Fist assault marine.

@ Chris-kirky: you are right, some places the highlights are not done fine enough. I'm personally very pleased with the face and the freehand experimentation.

@ The Shadows: yeah, I know that fluff-wise a BT icon shouldn't appear on the model...I'll do better next time ;)

@ Vel'Cona: But how do you know he's a veteran and therefore qualifies for two red fists!? :P Nah, just kidding, since he's wielding a power sword he's clearly a Sergeant and fluff-wise needs two red fists.

@ Skull_Lord: When I put him together I had just gotten into 40k and didn't have a clue about the different Mk's of Power Armour - so I'll just attribute my error to being a noob :)

@ Freakiq: aah, thanks for saving a bit of my honour on the model-screw up :blush:

Alright, now it's time for a couple of new pictures. I've finished Company Master Rafael, who carries a chapter standard. The motive are the Standard of Fortitude from the DA codex, although I painted the chequered pattern from the Standard of Devastation as I thought it would go nicely into the frame. The banner is entirely freehand and painted with a combination of techniques, from layering to blending. I intentionally left Rafaels cape quite simple, as he carries so much decoration on his armour. So I just highlighted the cape lightly and added a border to the inner side. I also added a hooded head from the Ravenwing sprue, since I think it conveys the mood of a sinister and powerful company master better than the head supplied with the model. It "feels" more Dark Angle-like :)

[EDIT] His base isn't finished at all - I'm looking for a suitable heroic base to put him on, so please disregard the unfinished look in this matter!

Anyways, enjoy the pictures. I look forward to hearing your comments!

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_12499.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8319.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_6812.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_6632.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_4998.jpg

This is why I cruise the Hall of Honor! I never would have thought to turn that model into a standard bearer. It was a cool model to begin with and you've done outstanding work with it!

Archived