Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

This is why I cruise the Hall of Honor! I never would have thought to turn that model into a standard bearer. It was a cool model to begin with and you've done outstanding work with it!

Hello Cypher! Thanks for your reply :D The reason I decided to change the model was because of the miserable cast of the sword. First I tried to give him a chainsword, but the pose wouldn't fit my expectations. And then I dug a big, nice banner up from my bits box. It's definetly not the last time I will do such a bit amount of freehand, although I think I need something a bit more simple for my next couple of marines :D

Beautiful freehand on the banner, any chance of a tut?

Well done! :D :D :D :D

Hi Salamanderdarkelf :) Thanks a lot for your comment and for stopping by! I will happily do a tutorial, but it will primarilly be a written one, since I didn't take pictures during the process. Still interested? :)

(Been lurking a long time, finally registered today. Just to comment here.)

Hello, Vadskær. I really like your miniatures. They're all superb, clean, very well painted.

And I see we're both Danes.

Can't wait to see more.

just noticed your update and you are amazing!

that banner will make a great centerpiece for you army.

i cant imagine how long that must have taken. i dont know how you got the white border thing so straight either.

cant wait for your next update!

wow man, your models are simply awesome. You're a very good painter, but your conversions and detail work blow me away! Lots of guys can get that level of washing/layering on the majority of the model, but you go the extra mile. Good stuff dude.

Hello, Vadskær. I really like your miniatures. They're all superb, clean, very well painted.

Can't wait to see more.

Hey Ramell - good to hear from another Dane ;) Where're you from?

Thanks a lot for your comment! I'm working on a HB Devastator marine, a Sternguard Sergeant and a little terrain emplacement now. I expect to post them later this week if all goes well.

i cant imagine how long that must have taken. i dont know how you got the white border thing so straight either.

Hello Chris ;)

Thanks for the reply and the praise ^_^ I think I managed to do the banner in about 10 days total. Fortunatly my brushes worked well with me and I had a really steady hand. I use a couple of old brushed which are needle-thin and have hairs about 5mm long. Look below to see a general tutorial about the banner (and how I did the white border)

How did your bone/white attempt go? :P

wow man, your models are simply awesome. You're a very good painter, but your conversions and detail work blow me away! Lots of guys can get that level of washing/layering on the majority of the model, but you go the extra mile. Good stuff dude.

Hi lotsa_terminators ;)

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comments! I believe that the small details/conversions are the thing that can really make a mini stand out from the rest and when a model allows you to go to town, why not use the opportunity!? ^_^

Hello all,

Some of you have requested a tutorial and/or tips to how I did the banner. While I can't give you a picture for picture version, I can give you the general lowdown.

All the details were done with a couple of Wittrock brushes, which were quite old - 10 years at least - and the hairs are only about 5-6mm long and needle thin. This actually lets you draw with the brush as with a pencil if you're very careful.

First of all, I painted the banner in some base-working colours:

Undercoat Chaos Black

Basecoat Orkhide Shade (foundation)

Two coats of 1:3 Goblin Green & Dark Angels Green

The next step was doing the white border, which was then corrected with the above mix and chaos black for the center of the banner. Afterwards, I just started picking out the outlines of the wings (with thinned codex gray) and the hooded figure (thinned goblin green).

All was done in outline to get the scale right, and afterwards I started shading/highlighting the different parts. The trickiest part was to encase everything with a neat, thin black line to separate the borders.

As an example of the work-flow I'll give the recipe for the shield:

The shield was painted with several layers of Bleached Bone until an even coverage was achieved. Afterwards, the borders where defined with chaos black. The shield was then painted with a 1:1 mix of Bleached Bone & Skull White. The Red stripe was painted with Mechrite Red and toned up to Blood Red, and also defined with a line of Chaos Black. Then the wing was painted and corrected using the before mentioned colours. The bone white parts of the shield was then carefully shaded with Gryphonne Sephia wash along the borders. The red stripe was highlighted with thinned Blazing Orange (just a neat line) at the top part, and shaded with Babdab Black and Baal Red at the bottom part.

The most difficult part was actually doing the fire and the swords since I had to have numerous paints in different pots in order to neaten up any mistakes. I'll try to take a couple of pictures this evening of the banner, so you can see some close-ups and I'll also take a picture of the brushes I used, so you can get a feeling of the delicacy of them.

Please don't hesistate to ask if you have anything you'd like to have explained ;)

/vadskær

Can't wait to see more.

Hey Ramell - good to hear from another Dane ;) Where're you from?

Thanks a lot for your comment! I'm working on a HB Devastator marine, a Sternguard Sergeant and a little terrain emplacement now. I expect to post them later this week if all goes well.

I'm from Viborg.

I can't wait to see more of your work.

While looking through some of my minis I happened upon a Deathwing Terminator I did some time ago. He was my first large attempt at doing bone-white and I think it turned out good. I wish I had done the lettering on his chest a bit better, but I'm not for changing my old minis, as they are a great way of representing the developement you go through as a painter. The base is scratchbuilt with a couple of GW details (broken Eldar icon and collection of skulls).

Enjoy! ^_^

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_22712.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8123.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_15772.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_13809.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8116.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8863.jpg

Hello Chris :lol:

Thanks for the reply and the praise :P I think I managed to do the banner in about 10 days total. Fortunatly my brushes worked well with me and I had a really steady hand. I use a couple of old brushed which are needle-thin and have hairs about 5mm long. Look below to see a general tutorial about the banner (and how I did the white border)

How did your bone/white attempt go? :)

hi vadskaer

i just happen to be starting a DIY chapter of my own. The colour scheme is predominantly bone/white.

i will start a thread when i get back from turkey in a couple of weeks so you can see how i do my bone.

o ye and that deathwing termie is lookin good! Have you made any further progress with the dread?

keep up the good work

Awesome Deathwing Terminator!

Also, your camera is great. What make/model is it?

Hi Ramell,

Thanks for your reply - I have a couple of Deathwing termies in the making, which I hope will be even better!

The camera is my brothers, who's a proffessional photographer. It's a Canon EOS but I can't remember the precise model :angry:

Hey Guys,

While getting ready for work this morning I stumbled (not litterally!) across the rest of my Ultra Marine combat squad. You might remember the sergeant I posted some time ago - the one kneeling with a white helmet and raised powerfist.

Here's the rest of his squad. Some have seen more action than others, but all are fresh of the battlefield. The bases are from Scibor Monstrous Miniatures.

gallery_37571_3423_18148.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_17508.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_18388.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_904.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

After a long hiatus I'm back with a few updates, this time of some of my older models and a couple of my first tanks.

A lot of my time has gone into assembling and painting some of my Imperial Guards, and I must confess that I haven't had nearly as much time for painting as I would have liked. Right now I'm concentrating on finishing smaller projects, and I'm currently working on a Deathwing Terminator with thunderhammer and stormshield. Pictures of this will soon come.

Until then, here's a DA veteran with flamer. I really like the pose, which makes up for the somewhat old paintjob before I really got into blending. Eventhough I think it's a cool mini :)

gallery_37571_3423_6080.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_23138.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_29507.jpg

Next up is one of my first mini's....a DA company master with storm bolter & powersword. I think this was my third mini after starting with 40k and I still use it in games.

gallery_37571_3423_34306.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_25908.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_13378.jpg

Next up is my first vehicle, a DA razorback with twin-linked heavybolter and storm bolter. It's drybrushed and has a used look to it with bulletholes in numerous places. The interior is also painted.

gallery_37571_3423_24124.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_43727.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_92470.jpg

Here's my other old tank, a Predator with twin-linked lascannon and HB sponsons. This was the first instance that I tried my luck with free-hand insignia with the DA chapter symbols and markings/numbers. Notice the red kill-markings on the turret cannons. It's also drybrushed in the same manner as the Razorback.

gallery_37571_3423_72798.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_31715.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_35774.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_17305.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_63095.jpg

Comments and critique are as always more than welcome :)

Archived