Daemons and Planetstrike

Rahveel

I am quite looking foreward to the release of planetstrike. But I am curious to know how they will act, given their unique nature. They will obviously be quite fun as the attacker, with the eleite heavy force org chart, but how will they take advantage of the known defender bonuses? I can't really see them maning AA turrets or being able to use defenses effectivly. Anyone heard anything on this?

I haven't been following the planetstrike rumours much, but is it true you get 6 heavy's? Can anyone say soulgrinder phalanx? :D

Overall I imagine it would result in a lot of counter-attacking on our part, that or we get stuck as the attackers like the dark eldar used to.

Updated FOC:

Attacker:

Minimum: 1 HQ.

Optional: 1 HQ, 6 Elites, 6 Troops, 6 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Support.

Defender:

Minimum: 1 HQ, 2 Troops.

Optional: 1 HQ, 3 Elites, 6 Troops, 3 Fast Attack, 6 Heavy Support

It is 40k sized, not Apocalypse sized as its base, but it can be very good for narrative Apocalypse games.

Hre we have a basic rundown of the game setup procedure for Planetstrike missions, along with some sample Strategems.

PLANETSTRIKE LAUNCH PROCEDURE

1. Determine attacker and defender

2. Choose forces

3. Select a Planetstrike mission

4. Prepare the battlefield

5. Determine objectives

6. Attacker prepares invasion

7. Determine stratagems

8. Defender deploys forces

9. Attacker launches firestorm

10. Launch the Planetstrike!

SAMPLE STRATAGEMS (Apparently a bit more powerful than the Cities of Death ones)

-IG: a mass deep-strike ability; a single reserve dice is rolled for the whole army, but each squad that deep strikes must make a dangerous terrain test when it lands.

-Dark Eldar: a penalty to enemy leadership equal to the number of turns passed since the beginning of the game (an interesting bit of background: it mentions Khaine-worshipping Dark Eldar).

-Imperium: Power of the Machine Spirit. BS 3, unshakable turrets.

-Adeptus Mechanicus: a teleporter beam that kills any model in a building on a successful armour save, as its flesh melts with the walls.

-Space Marines: when a Drop Pod deep strikes, all enemy units surrounding the landing zone must make a morale test.

-Tau: a massive EMP blast that disables all targeting systems on the battlefield; all vehicles are now BS 1, but all infantry units gain +1 BS,

-(possibly Ork) basically throwing an asteroid at the enemy

As for playing, defending would be fun. The attacker gets the first turn...woopdedoo for Daemons! We get the advantage because we'll see where they end up before our models hit the table. It also appears the changling will be released for $13.25 US.

I like the idea of Daemons being a defending force in planetstrike.

The space marines decend like a steel rain, heavy with the Emperor's justice. They hurtle through the atmosphere to where the distress signal was sounded, right before the imperial bastion fell to unknown aggressors. The drop pods slam home, causing the very landscape to shudder with the impact. The marines immediately leap clear of their drop pods, bolter in hand and ready to strike down any and all transgressors arrayed against them, but an odd quiet shrouds them instead of the clang of weapons fire. They slowly march forward, wary of potential ambush, ready to retake that which was taken from the imperium.

Then, the very atmosphere seems to fade red, and an etherial haze begins to rise from the ground. Suddenly, the marines notice portals surrounding them that look like the maws of the fabled elder dragon beasts of legends. These are tears in reality, and spit fire on the ground like a tongue lapping up some missed morsel off a dinner plate, searching for something tasty. Through the maw-tears in reality, the marines see into the beyond, where no mortal dare go, and learn what happened to this world. As the burning legions of Khorne stride forth--hellblades in hand--the marines only have enough time to loose one volley of bolter fire before the defenders of this now damned world are upon them.

So yeah, I like the idea of Daemons on the defending side :D

i was just thinking something along those lines devian. (i just hope that i can get my force together)

also daemons attacking other daemons(or even the forge) of course it would have to be mono gods only but hey would still work

would love to see the gods attacking the forge anybody say alot of soul grinders

In the Grey Knight novel, there was a scene describing an entire legion of Grey Knight dropping into a daemon-world to blanish some super-daemon.

To continue DevianID's story to reflect some of my thoughts (apologies for mismatch in style)

In the air, sentient clouds of warp magic lashed out with malicious energy. Coruscating bolts of Tzeentch sorcery turned scores of landspeeders and marine drop-pods into slabs of molten metal that blazed across the sky in trails of incandescent fire. On the ground, space marine war machines that had already made planetside moved forward into firing position to shield the tactical squads from the fury of the Khorne Bloodletters. Blessed guns mounted on the mighty Landraider Crusader unleashed a torrent of assault cannon shells which banished entire legion of Khorne daemons back into the Immaterium. However, their victory was short lived.

The rift erupted with a burst of warp flame and forth came entire phalanxes of daemonic war walkers. Bolter shells exploded harmlessly against its adamantium hull and even lascannons could not pierce its shields of warp-energy. In moments, the daemonic constructs smashed into the marine battle formation with gargantuan ferocity. Rhinos were toppled and crushed with its passenger still embarked, battle tanks cleaved asunder and immolated to the Soul Forge. Even the Space Marines, the most valiant and well-equipped warriors of the Imperium, could not hope to withstand the fury of the onslaught and perfect machinations of destruction that are the Soul Grinders. Knowing victory was an impossiblity, the force commander whispered a final prayer to the God Emperor before activating his locator beacon and called in a lance-strike from the strike-cruiser in orbit of the damned world

In the Grey Knight novel, there was a scene describing an entire legion of Grey Knight dropping into a daemon-world to blanish some super-daemon.

To continue DevianID's story to reflect some of my thoughts (apologies for mismatch in style)

In the air, sentient clouds of warp magic lashed out with malicious energy. Coruscating bolts of Tzeentch sorcery turned scores of landspeeders and marine drop-pods into slabs of molten metal that blazed across the sky in trails of incandescent fire. On the ground, space marine war machines that had already made planetside moved forward into firing position to shield the tactical squads from the fury of the Khorne Bloodletters. Blessed guns mounted on the mighty Landraider Crusader unleashed a torrent of assault cannon shells which banished entire legion of Khorne daemons back into the Immaterium. However, their victory was short lived.

The rift erupted with a burst of warp flame and forth came entire phalanxes of daemonic war walkers. Bolter shells exploded harmlessly against its adamantium hull and even lascannons could not pierce its shields of warp-energy. In moments, the daemonic constructs smashed into the marine battle formation with gargantuan ferocity. Rhinos were toppled and crushed with its passenger still embarked, battle tanks cleaved asunder and immolated to the Soul Forge. Even the Space Marines, the most valiant and well-equipped warriors of the Imperium, could not hope to withstand the fury of the onslaught and perfect machinations of destruction that are the Soul Grinders. Knowing victory was an impossiblity, the force commander whispered a final prayer to the God Emperor before activating his locator beacon and called in a lance-strike from the strike-cruiser in orbit of the damned world

how about and bam the space marines where dead before they knew it. ^_^

On the defender side, the Daemons can't abuse the 6 heavies like most armies.... plus Daemons don't get much help out of bunkers since they are mostly assaulty. 6 soulgrinders is pretty good but I think with the extra fast attacks and elites the attackers get you will see a lot of terminators and land speeders tooled up to take out vehicles and those grinders will get popped fast!

Daemons will be able to field a TON of monstrous creatures in planetstrike as the defender. It would be a REALLY expensive list, but it makes the Daemonzilla thing seem a lot stronger! 6 Daemon princes and 3 bloodthirsters or 6 daemon princes and 6 heralds on chariots? That seems pretty scary but not as good as what most defenders will be able to do with

Not quite sure where you're getting 3 HQ's from...it'd only be 2 Bloodthirsters or 4 Heralds.

Still, 8 MC's that are quite scary and tough could be great fun...

I think he's getting it from you. :D

Attacker:

Minimum: 1 HQ.

Optional: 2 HQ, 6 Elites, 6 Troops, 6 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Support.

Defender:

Minimum: 1 HQ, 2 Troops.

Optional: 2 HQ, 3 Elites, 6 Troops, 3 Fast Attack, 6 Heavy Support

That makes it sound like you can get 3 HQs.

Actually, when you think about it....

Marines would be able to pack so many LRs if they put their mind to it and wow...we got 8 MCs. Nids can do that standard and more in a setting like this.....

'Nids may be able to field more, but I would think our MCs are superior to most. 3 Bloodthirsters alone would be enough send most packing, let alone being accompanied by 6 DPs.

I think there's something about the defender buying minefields and other battlefield defences (not just bunker/bastions)

Hence the minefield markers on advance order with the bastions, etc.

Be awesome to have a daemon-minefield - NURGLINGS!!!

Be awesome to have a daemon-minefield - NURGLINGS!!!

Haha! "[march march march SPLORCH] Eewwww... what did I just step on? [space marine looks at boot covered in nurgling... Space Marine's leg promptly rots off]"

see its those kinds of things that make me worry. with how I roll, I will be landing right on my own mines, and well away from my defences... I just dont see daemons being able to take advantage of all the defender bonus'

but then, we have no idea how any of it will really look, so who knows???

It's alright, the best it'll be is a D strength massive blast, for game balance reasons they can't go beyond that. ;)

Edit- Since it's not apoc it'll probably stay as S10 though. Dunno how they'll work out a good size for the blast template, 'cos I don't think a pie plate would really do it justice.

Archived