What is the best online store for Australians?

well...

• 3 weeks later...
If you are based in NZ or OZ and you belong to a club or gaming group. Could you please pass your club details via our helpdesk. We have some freebies to give out.

Even if the club only has 4 members?

I have been shopping around and have found the following facts:

Wayland: - Charges for shipping, that hurts :(

+ Has great deals on paint though

- Website is a bit hard to navigate

+ Has a wide range of models

+ Good customer service

Totalwargamer: - Shipping hurts:(

+ Offers best discount rate

+ Great customer service, very polite and personal

+ Offered me a further 5% discount on any purcahse over 150 pound I made, just from an email query

+ Offered to make me my own "army deal" with similar discounts to their premade ones

- Limited model selection :(

Maelstrom: + FREE SHIPPING YO! :D

+ Easiest site to navigate

- More expensive then other 2 and do not offer deals

- Customer service is apperntly lacking

- Shipping takes the longest apperntly

I think I'll be going Wayland for my hobbiest gear and TWG for my models.

Anyone elese got experience like that, ordering certian equipment from certian companies?

Edited by Gridlocked

• 3 months later...

I have no problems with Maelstrom and I have used them a number of times, especially when they give their special 17.5% discount of UK RRP! Their shipping is FREE and the only time I had to wait on items was when the Volcano blew its top in Iceland! Yes, they do ship orders in multiple lots but that's because of the FREE shipping they need to keep package weight and size down to maintain their costs and the FREE shipping to you.

I have priced things up using the other two mentioned suppliers and factored in the shipping cost and exchange rates, Maelstrom wins hands down all the time.

I can't recommend Maelstrom Games too highly if your in OZ and ordering from the UK.

• 2 months later...

Personally, until now, I have been a Wayland Games customer, and have always been very happy with their prices and service.

May check out Maelstrom however, as it does seem like I could save a bit with the free postage.

Shall work out which is cheaper on my next big purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I use and love Darksphere, hard to not to when it is 25% of the RRP; I've saved loads buying from them.

calgar101, are you in the USA? I know that Darksphere is a US company, the price may be good with the OZ$ being high against the US$ but the shipping costs from the US are just horrendous.

I still think that Maelstrom is the cheapest, their prices are very close to those of Wayland but the postage is free, however the do limit on some large items, I know that they won't send out the big Army Figure Case. They do send out paints and I know someone that placed three orders for paints now and he was very happy with the service.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know of any good cheap online sellers of vallejo paints in New Zealand or Australia? I'm also after evergreen products. My local city has nothing in the way of modelling supplies. :)

I don't know about cheap, but Battlefront Miniatures (the Flames of War guys) are (or were) the NZ distributor of Vallejo paints. I've bought of them a few times, and always had great service.

Here's the link to the Vallejo worldwide distribution list.

Edited by igor

Does anyone know of any good cheap online sellers of vallejo paints in New Zealand or Australia? I'm also after evergreen products. My local city has nothing in the way of modelling supplies. :)

I don't know about cheap, but Battlefront Miniatures (the Flames of War guys) are (or were) the NZ distributor of Vallejo paints. I've bought of them a few times, and always had great service.

Here's the link to the Vallejo worldwide distribution list.

Where are you located Burbsee? I live in Christchurch and my local hobby shop as a whole bunch of evergreen products and a pretty comprehensive range of singular vallejo paints.

In terms of online, I've only used gamingdragon.com.au but they were pretty great and the price was alright, not super cheap compared to GW after shipping but it was a reasonably small order.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but -

Weyland games is pretty good, but also from the UK is Maelstrom Games. Even if the per-unit price is slightly higher, Maelstrom give free shipping worldwide!

Do we have a price comparison between the two? As in, Wayland's cheaper unit price + postage vs. Maelstrom's more expensive prices with no postage?

Here is a comparison of all the prices (without postage) so far. I have used the Space Marine Tactical Squad from the Space Marine range as the unit. Prices are listed in $AU.

GW - $62

Wayland Games - $29.35

Maelstrom Games - $33.18

Phoenix Forge - $49.60

Total Wargamer - $30.89

Combat Company - $49.59

Gaming Dragon - $44

Dark Sphere - $27.67

Black Cultist - $46.50

Black cultist is one I added to the list. They are an Australian company, and I've heard good things about them from my mate, although I have never experienced them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered a few things from Dark Sphere. I ordered:

Space Marine Battleforce

Foundation Hobby Starter Set

Bleached Bone

Boltgun Metal

Burnished Gold

Codex Grey

Mithril Silver

Detail Brush

The total cost was $132.75 including charges for buying from another country. This was purchaed on 02/03/2011 and the Battleforce was delivered 7 working days later. I have received an email from them on the 12th march saying the paints were posted on the 12th March so would hope to have them today or in next couple of days.

The battle force arrived in excellent condition. Good savings considering the Battleforce is $150 on its own when bought from GW here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered my new batch of Orcs and Goblins from Wayland, but it would appear that the post either here or in the UK have lost it all ;) I was emailed that it had been sent on the 10th, and it is now the 30th, and I WANT MY NEW BOOK AND TOYS! Meh, not blaming them, but it is very annoying.

That said, their prices are pretty damn good, I got the Arachnarok, 2 boxes of savage orcs, the new army book and the O&G army cards for less than half Oz retail, even with postage. Now all I need is for them to arrive...

RoV

I have nothing but praise for the Dark Sphere team, I've ordered over £3000 worth 40k from them and one order was £2100. I was told that they did not have all of what I wanted in stock (instead of ordering away and wondering why it hasn't arrived yet..). Great store, great discounts. I recommend them over any other store.

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite singing thier praises earlier in the thread, i have to say i will no longer be buying from Maelstrom games.

Over the last 6 months orders from there have been getting longer and longer (one order took over 8 weeks to get here!)

This email from them today broke the camels back:

In reference to order #1820960737, we have refunded £32.64 to your Moneyback, for the item Dark Eldar Incubi.

We have done this because the item(s) are no longer available. We have refunded to your Moneyback because it is quick and easy and has the additional benefit that it reduces bank charges for both sides. If you would like us to refund to your original payment method, please let us know and we will be happy to do so.

Please note that we have also deducted £4.00 from your Moneyback balance because of this refund.

Thats right. I have had them on order for over 2 months, they cant get them in then they charge ME 4 pounds because of that.

My money will be going elsewhere from now on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
While we're on the topic (sort of), what about how much GW hates Australia? I mean, first they raise prices then they ban us buying from Europe! I'm really considering changing hobbies, GW's prices are just ridiculous. Edited by Coryphaus 101

• 4 months later...

Again, sorry for resurrecting a super old thread, but where do you guys all buy from now? I was thinking eBay, but I'm searching around for a better idea.

Also, does GW's embargo extend to international eBay stores, or no?

Thanks,

Doop.

Edited by Doop Dude

• 1 month later...
i have found gaming dragon and black cultist to be reasonable there is also a couple ebay stores i have bought from that are good abaddon and discount_games_store who will quote up packages and get you what you need. both the ebay stores are from the US and respond fairly quick.