Death Heads V5.0

Donkey Kong

I like Roca, has a ring to it the way I'm pronouncing it in my mind (rho-ka).

I didn't realise all this time of referring to Filo that it was his last name, I can be so dense sometimes.

Just what type of european KHK? Northern european? Eastern european? Southern European? You can divide europe up into very small racial chunks with little effort so it might help to be a bit more precise with the type of european heritage you see him as possessing.

You might think 'seafaring' and 'pirate' would automatically lend it to northern european but the Italian city states had powerful navies for much of the late medieval and rennaisance period, not to mention the african Corsairs. The clearer an image I can get of just what region your getting at might help a bit.

Edited by Grey Hunter Ydalir

I like Roca, has a ring to it the way I'm pronouncing it in my mind (rho-ka).

I didn't realise all this time of referring to Filo that it was his last name, I can be so dense sometimes.

Your pronunciation is spot on GHY. :)

Filo used to be the first name of Filo Howl, but KHK axed the last name and is looking for a replacement first name. I've thrown some made-up ones into the hat, just for variety.

As a whole, the Death Heads have names from Western Europe (primarily France, Italy and the UK), the Caribbean, the Hawaiian Islands, most of the area around the Mediterranean (Northern Africa and, as I said, Western Europe). They're not really Slavic or Latino, with the only notable exception being Tomaj.

Filo is, in my mind, from Western Europe, meaning Italy or France. But lots of names are made up, and I can happily say many of them have worked fairly well for me.

Spot on Ace, on Filo's name. Roca will be kept in mind.

Much appreciated Ferrus.

Edited by KingHongKong

Thanks again, I couldn't have done it without all your help. God knows that Pipe Organ Land Raider would still be in, along with Davy Jone's crew, a fellow named Howl and another named Red Beard :lol: .

I'll probably go back and try describing some of the Captains. I know I have to take a jab at Thussaud, Filo, Barbari and Quorra for the Gehenna Campaign, both personality and appearance. I imagine Ace has a few mental images for me to work with, so if you feel like it Ace, I'm all ears.

Congrats KHK on getting the Deaths Head into the Librarium. I beleive that means you are one of the first to pass the Iron Gauntlet. I love reading up on Gehenna and the Chapters involved. Oh and I love the story of Thussaud. Kinda sucks after reading of his involvement with Gehenna only to discover he dies. Oh well, such is the life of a Space Marine, I suppose...

Thanks again, I couldn't have done it without all your help. God knows that Pipe Organ Land Raider would still be in, along with Davy Jone's crew, a fellow named Howl and another named Red Beard :) .

I'll probably go back and try describing some of the Captains. I know I have to take a jab at Thussaud, Filo, Barbari and Quorra for the Gehenna Campaign, both personality and appearance. I imagine Ace has a few mental images for me to work with, so if you feel like it Ace, I'm all ears.

Well, I'll do what I can to help. What do you want me to do, though? Quick descriptions as per the characters in the Gehenna campaign?

Well this has certainly fallen back.

Currently, the Captains have existed in slight variations throughout each version of the IA.

Many ideas have remained intact throughout each incarnation.

To fit most stereotypes, the Death Heads do have a collective Chapter mentality. They would rather die than retreat, they are stubborn and volatile, some are hardheaded and self righteous, and many are spiritual.

As far as age goes for the Captains:

First Captain Tobulo is the oldest, around 500

Second Captain Thussaud is close behind him, 500 or so (expected to replace Tobulo as First Captain after the Chapter Master's death)

Third Captain Barbari is farther behind, around 300

Fourth Captain Filo, like Barbari, is about 300

First Company Champion Narrik is around 200

/ This is all at the time of the Gehenna Campaign, about 200 years before the galaxy time line ends.

In current years

Chapter Master Tobulo is around 700

Thussaud and Barbari are deceased after the Gehenna Campaign and during the Gehenna Campaign (respectively)

Fourth Captain Filo is around 500

Eleventh Captain Narrik is around 400

As far as relationships go:

Tobulo is respected by all, and is on personal terms with Narrik and likely Thussaud (his expected successor).

Thussaud is also highly respected, once again because he is expected to become First Captain.

Thussaud and Filo are on personal terms, likely akin to a mentor and student.

Barbari is a more laid back Captain, he isn't on personal terms with any of the Captains besides Filo, and even then it's a friendship based more on mutual respect rather than similar views and opinions.

Narrik is respected, albeit almost solely for his combat prowess. He likely doesn't get along with Thussaud, insulted that he isn't going to be elevated to First Company Captain.

To aid in creating a final idea of their personalities I will quote several older versions found in this IA.

First Company Captain Lucil Tobulo: Lucil is an embodiment of the steadfast and defiant nature of the Death Heads Astartes. Bordering on five hundred years of age, Tobulo remains the Chapter's single best warrior. A veteran of countless campaigns, Tobulo has lead his Chapter against all manner of foes to the Imperium. A native born to Klysium, he follows many of the classical Klysian beliefs.

Second Company Captain Strabo Thussaud: Captain Thussaud is a warrior though and through. A native Klysian, Thussaud follows his homeworld's traditions, though has less suspicion surrounding Librarians. Thussaud possesses multiple bionics, all replacing mutated limbs corrupted by time in the warp. A labeled traitor, Thussaud still follows the light of the Emperor. He leads his tainted company and their allies among the Fourth on a death crusade against the massive Ork empires lining the Maelstrom.

Ex Fourth Company Captain Filo Howl: A compassionate Astartes, Howl has long been criticized for his nature. Howl sees his role as a warrior as well as a protector. A natural born Klysian, Howl differs greatly from his kin. He also refuses to follow Klysian superstition, seeing it as poor logic and a distraction from duties to the Emperor and the Imperium. A master tactician, more than a century younger than Captain Tobulo, Filo boasts a near equal number of victories. Since his association with the labeled traitor Thussaud, Howl has been given the same title and stripped of his powers within the Chapter. Filo is now a prisoner of the Chapter, awaiting execution.

Eleventh Company Captain Astos Narrick: First Company's champion and the second best warrior in the Chapter, Narrick is infamous for his sharp tongue and even sharper prowess. Selected to lead a replacement Second Company, Narrick has since named the Eleventh Company, Narrick was pointed as a perfect executioner for the heretic Thussaud. Never given a true leadership role due to his headstrong and egotistical nature, Narrick's pride was used to prod him into hunting Thussaud. Now leader of his own Company and a contingent of the Fourth eager to redeem their lost pride, Narrick chases Thussaud through the Ork empires.

Albeit, this was when the Second Company literally became Davy Jones' Crew, the personalities are still the same.

Barbari didn't even exist at this point.

Fist Captain Tobulo

Heraldry: Cecaelia (dancing)

First Company Banner: Cecaelia bearing shield on rock, in stormy ocean

Tobulo has served as Captain of the First Company for four hundred years and is nearly six hundred years old. Calmed by centuries of war, Tobulo is a mild, calculating commander, though he remains a fearsome sight on the battlefield. He is a well liked and respected member of the Chapter. Far less superstitious than more devout brothers, Tobulo has made peace with other factions within the Imperium where others would be more hostile. Tobulo rarely participates in infiltration actions, instead taking it upon himself to lead invasions and take command of larger campaigns. Ship master of the Battle Barge Nausicaa, Tobulo has led forces on the ground and in orbit above contested worlds. In addition to this, Tobulo has fought against near all enemies of mankind.

Second Captain Thussaud [deceased]

Heraldry: Manta ray

Second Company Banner:

A fearsome sight, leading from the front, Thussaud was a more venerable Captain within the Chapter. Nearly five hundred by his untimely death, Thussaud had served as Captain for two centuries. Thussaud was a devout warrior. Respected by his brothers, Thussaud was hailed as one of the greatest heroes and most skilled warriors in the Chapter. Thussaud was more tolerant to those who he felt brought bad luck, often disregarding it, and denouncing the more vocal members of the Chapter. Thussaud crafted a name for himself fighting against the Ork threat that invaded worlds in Segmentum Ultima.

Third Captain Taggart (Now Barbari)

Heraldry: Gorgon head

Third Company Banner:

Humorous and witty, Taggart embodies the heart of the Death Heads' free spirit. A younger captain, Taggart is still eager to win trophies in the name of the Emperor, a habit many of the Chapter's Captains have either forgotten or continued to do on a less than regular basis. A skilled orator, and famed for his guile in infiltration operations, Taggart has led many enemies to turn in upon themselves. In addition to this, Taggart has also foiled the plans of many an Eldar seer, and has slain far more. More zealous than many of his brothers, Taggart follows the Klysian superstition with a passion, disguising his fear in ridiculing jokes.

Fourth Captain Filo

Heraldry: Dolphin (in ring/ similar to ourboros)

Fourth Company Banner:

A compassionate captain, Filo is seen in a variety of lights by his brothers. Many feel that Filo is devout to the Chapter, believing that his nature is just. Others feel that he is too soft, and unfit for command. Like Taggart, Filo is a younger captain, both physically and emotionally. He has not be weather beaten by war, and continues to follow Klysian belief, though he is far more tolerant than most of his brothers. Filo has developed a friendship with Thussaud, and many say he has been mentored by the hero. While not the best, Filo is a sound fighter, eager to lead assaults.

Eleventh Commander Narrik

Heraldry: Shark (in ring/ similar to ourboros)

Eleventh Company Banner:

Arrogant, dogmatic and faithful to the core, Narrik numbers amongst the finest warriors in the Chapter. Previous champion of the First Company, Narrik was selected to lead the Eleventh Company solely for his obedience to the more venerable Captains, and desire to please them by accomplishing the task of retrieving Thussaud's lost helm. Many of the Death Heads dislike the Commander, feeling that he is too obedient. However, none can refute his combat prowess, though they all feel that he would be far more fit as an honor guard. A poor infiltrator, Narrik has been the spearhead for invasions almost immediately following his induction into the Assault Squads.

I doubt the heraldry will stay. Inspiration for them was very interesting, and I recall some of it.

Thussaud is a black spot on the Chapter's honor, losing the helmet. Manta Rays were rumored to pull down ships in old sailor myths. Taken in one extreme, it is a creature strong enough to drag down an entire :P, taken in another, it is the creature that drags down the Death Heads' ship.

The dolphin has always been something of hope, so you have a creature that is bringing the light (possibly Thussaud's teachings) to the Chapter

The shark has always been a destroyer, an that is all Narrik is, a hunter, a killer, death is his art.

Between incarnations, ages have changed and personalities have been altered.

As of now,

Lucil Tobulo: Quick on his feet and a leader of men, Tobulo has fought against all manner of the Emperor's foes in his life of servitude. Calm, and slow to temper, his outbursts are as violent and harsh as they are infrequent. Well respected for his leadership and combat prowess, Tobulo has made a name for himself in the Chapter's legacy.

Strabo Thussaud: A Chapter hero, Thussaud has led his brothers and Imperial forces to victory in a number of campaigns.

Tomaj Barbari: Something of an oddity, Barbari is quick with his tongue and even quicker with his blade. Barbari embodies the heart of the Death Heads' free spirit, witty and humorous. Unlike many of his fellow Captains, Barbari embraces Klysian superstition with an iron grasp. A skilled orator and infiltrator, Barbari has ended uprisings with a single shot or the beat of his lips.

Roca Filo: Another oddity amongst the Death Heads, Filo is a compassionate Astartes, caring deeply for both his brothers and the Emperor's subjects. Many feel Filo is unfit for his position, but his successes say otherwise. Passionate in his beliefs to defend humanity, others have seen Filo as a pinnacle for what the Astartes should represent.

Astos Narrik: Arrogant, dogmatic and volatile, Narrick numbers amongst the finest warriors in the Chapter's history.

These may all be expanded on, especially with appearances.

I don't imagine most of these characters being of anything but Western/ Central European/ Mediterranean heritage. I don't imagine any of them being African or fitting an islander appearance, mostly Italian, Germanic, French, British, etc.

Any suggestions based on older quotes or just new ideas are more than welcome.

Maybe later I can detail out the Chapter's leadership circa 999.M41 found in post #2 of this thread.

Ok, let's see what I can do for how I thought these guys looked.

Tobulo I'm familiar with, and I'm working on capturing his character somewhat in the Gehenna story I'm writing. It's much harder than it looks! I presently have him as stern and solid - a natural leader with authority and a degree of charisma. One of those guys where you can tell, by looking at him, you do not push him. Ever. For any reason.

In actual fact, I always pictured Taggart (Now Barbari) as black and bald with a big ol' facial tatoo. I expect him to act casual to other marines of similar or superior rank, but have natural authority. When Babari gives orders, you listen.

Narrick was always (in my mind) gaunt and wiry for an Astartes, much like Mors Altram, but that was the only similarity. I always saw Narrick as ruthless, uncaring for collateral damage or loss of life. Like you say, he gets results, but I get the picture of a man who seems to dislike everyone.

Obscurely enough, I always thought Filo and Tobulo looked somewhat alike. Same hair, both fair-skinned, but Tobulo looking a generation or so older. Possibly they're representative of the archetypal Klysian, actually, since I also imagined Narrick to have a similar (but shorter)haircut.

Thussaud definitely has a big beard. If he doesn't then something is wrong.

I also see him as 'everyone's mentor' - willing to teach anyone willing to learn, and easygoing in nature. Obviously, he has to also have a strict side. I got the feeling he will have tried to teach Narrick a few things in the past, and Narrick doesn't appreciate that much nowadays.

The personal heraldry thing is awesome. I particularly like the comparison between the heraldry Narrick and Filo - similarities at first glance but totally and utterly different on closer inspection.

Question, though. Is Filo still on the chopping block? :blink:

Question, though. Is Filo still on the chopping block?

To ease your troubled mind, Ace, no, Filo is very much alive and kicking as Captain of the Fourth Company at The Time of Ending.

He was exiled when Thussuad emerged from the Warp as a mutant, not dead. Filo was responsible for helping Thussaud escape when the Rest of the Chapter would have him killed.

With the change in The Tainted, Filo was able to go on, even as Thussaud's spiritual successor, and I must say I like it more this way.

It seems we have very similar views on Tobulo.

One of those guys where you can tell, by looking at him, you do not push him. Ever. For any reason.

Certainly an accurate description.

I always pictured Taggart (Now Barbari) as black and bald with a big ol' facial tatoo. I expect him to act casual to other marines of similar or superior rank, but have natural authority. When Babari gives orders, you listen.

Fits with him being a skilled orator. Strangely, with this description I'm imagining Tai Kaliso from Gears of War 2.

Narrick was always (in my mind) gaunt and wiry for an Astartes, much like Mors Altram, but that was the only similarity. I always saw Narrick as ruthless, uncaring for collateral damage or loss of life. Like you say, he gets results, but I get the picture of a man who seems to dislike everyone.

Gives everyone an excuse to distance themselves from him, eh? I always imagined him like Lucius from the Horus Heresy novels. Very eager to please and climb up the chain of command, pushing everyone out of his way while he was doing it.

Obscurely enough, I always thought Filo and Tobulo looked somewhat alike. Same hair, both fair-skinned, but Tobulo looking a generation or so older. Possibly they're representative of the archetypal Klysian, actually, since I also imagined Narrick to have a similar (but shorter)haircut.

So, what are we calling archetypal Klysian? Curly hair, olive skin ...?

Funnily enough, I always wanted Filo to be Thussuad's successor. Albeit, I like the idea of a young Captain that resembles the Chapter Master to be.

Thussaud definitely has a big beard. If he doesn't then something is wrong.

I also see him as 'everyone's mentor' - willing to teach anyone willing to learn, and easygoing in nature. Obviously, he has to also have a strict side. I got the feeling he will have tried to teach Narrick a few things in the past, and Narrick doesn't appreciate that much nowadays.

How big is big for you :huh: ? I certainly like the mentor idea, and I think that would be reason enough to create bad blood between himself and Narrik, too arrogant to learn.

The personal heraldry thing is awesome. I particularly like the comparison between the heraldry Narrick and Filo - similarities at first glance but totally and utterly different on closer inspection.

That was one of the things I was looking to capture between the two, they're relatively young Captains, and their heraldry is relatively similar, but where Filo is hope, Narrik is destruction. I might change Tobulo's heraldry from Cecaelia to something else and maybe think up another idea for the First Company Banner.

Thanks, Ace, greatly appreciated.

How big is big for you :HQ: ?

Have you seen the images floating around the web of that rather large, serious looking american Special Forces guy with the huge bushy beard (they must have modelled some of the Spec Ops from the new Medal of Honour game after him)? Maybe like that. Or perhaps even bigger, like blackbeard the pirate big.

I gotta say I'm loving all this characterisation of individual marines, it gives the Death Heads so much more depth as characters rather than just big hulking great killers as most marines are wantonly described.

How big is big for you :D ?

Have you seen the images floating around the web of that rather large, serious looking american Special Forces guy with the huge bushy beard (they must have modelled some of the Spec Ops from the new Medal of Honour game after him)? Maybe like that. Or perhaps even bigger, like blackbeard the pirate big.

Damn, if only my brother would let me take a pic of him. I'd show you the most epic beard I've ever seen. Seriously though - I meant Thussauds' beard's got to reach down most of his torso.

I gotta say I'm loving all this characterisation of individual marines, it gives the Death Heads so much more depth as characters rather than just big hulking great killers as most marines are wantonly described.

Yeah. It makes me want to cobble together more detail for some of my Chapters' leaders, except most Infinity Knights are either like Haedar or Altram. :)

EDIT:

So, what are we calling archetypal Klysian? Curly hair, olive skin ...?

Yep. :lol: I actually figured Tobulo to be representative of the majority of his Chapter. Although in salute to the chapter's pirate roots, I'd repsectfully suggest that Klysium could be a place of many skin tones and clan-cultures and stuff. No self-respecting pirate crew is made up solely of Europeans these days, right? ^_^

Edited by Ace Debonair

Can't say I'm familiar with it ^_^

I meant Thussauds' beard's got to reach down most of his torso.

Sounds a little . . . enormous? Gargantuan? :lol:

Although in salute to the chapter's pirate roots, I'd repsectfully suggest that Klysium could be a place of many skin tones and clan-cultures and stuff.

It already is ^_^ . The cultures that make up the Death Heads are kind of a hodgepodge of African, Central/ Western European, Mediterranean, Caribbean and Hawaiian.

For the archetype, though, I imagine more of an Italian look.

Sounds a little . . . enormous? Gargantuan? :lol:

Yep. That's just what I pictured, though. I suppose he could have a shorter beard if you want. :lol:

Although in salute to the chapter's pirate roots, I'd repsectfully suggest that Klysium could be a place of many skin tones and clan-cultures and stuff.

It already is ^_^ . The cultures that make up the Death Heads are kind of a hodgepodge of African, Central/ Western European, Mediterranean, Caribbean and Hawaiian.

For the archetype, though, I imagine more of an Italian look.

;) I had a funny feeling I was making a mistake even while writing that. Oh well.

As far as the archetype goes, fair enough. :D

That was one of the things I was looking to capture between the two, they're relatively young Captains, and their heraldry is relatively similar, but where Filo is hope, Narrik is destruction. I might change Tobulo's heraldry from Cecaelia to something else and maybe think up another idea for the First Company Banner.

Thanks, Ace, greatly appreciated.

Didn't even spot this on my first read-through.

What would be befitting of a 1st company captain, and the Chapter's leader?

First thing that comes to my mind is a water-dragon. Something like a stylized version of a Leviathan summon from the Final Fantasy games, maybe?

Or possibly he could just use the chapter symbol, or even a skull and cross-bones. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to toy around with the Death Heads' scheme on the new B&C painter, and I can say that Argos and company did an excellent job.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hMC1N_h1VNS.hBgCA@_@@@@@ia3h6@.@@iaig8iaig8@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@._@@@@@@@@@@_@@.iakk7&

Now, it's still missing the red markings, but that's an issue for when I actually figure out how to photoshop.

For now, the Captains probably won't have their heraldry. It was just one of those things that I liked to show the evolution and idea behind the Characters.

I'm trying to think of a way to talk about the Death Heads' character (stereotypically anyway) that doesn't contradict itself.

As of now, they're stubborn and hardheaded, but codex adherent and flexible. Many have volatile personalities, however I imagine Captains to be more calm and controlled. Should it be like a selective obedience? The first two points are also countered by the fact that the Death Heads use assassinations to instill fear in addition to their assaults, meaning that many are patient enough to wait to get that one shot off. All of these can be tied with a stubborn refusal to stay until the job is done, but that's only one way to look at stubborn, and I almost think it would be better to call it dedicated.

As of now, Narrik is just portrayed as someone who is childish, eager to please superiors. He's fairly flat, and I can't really think of how to portray him other than self important and apathetic to those around him, maybe even looking down on the rest of the Chapter. I like the idea of him believing this to the extent that he won't even take a lesson from Thussaud.

They're all fairly one dimensional, and I'm fairly upset by that. Tobulo is a tactician, Thussuad is a mentor, Narrik is an arrogant, poncy jerk, Barbari is a joker and Filo is compassionate. Inherently as Astartes they're warriors, Tobulo, Thussaud and Narrik ranking as some of the best in the Chapter.

I'm thinking of how I can make what I imagine as their wargear fit their character?

Tobulo right now has a Relic Blade and Storm Shield (home written rules, see Gehenna Campaign): I infer this as a fairly direct individual. The Relic Blade is a sword, showing some finesse.

I imagine most of the Captains having power swords or relic blades (swords).

Barbari is still hung up on collecting trophies, on Gehenna he makes a habit of killing Eldar Warlocks/ Exarchs and taking helmets and weapons (spears, swords, etc.)

Again, the sword in my mind has something akin to finesse about it. It's an art, what makes me see Thussaud as noble and Narrik as poncy.

Also, with the coming of the new Blood Angel models (notably the Sanguinary Guard) I'm having some ideas for Narrik, or maybe even the Captains in general. For the less mature, I am talking about molded abs and power nipples. I can actually imagine a model, Sanguinary Guard body (shaving down the gorget in all likelihood) and legs, Lokhir Fellheart's helmet and any slew of parts (notably Huron Blackheart's backpack and iron halo which I've imagined as a handsome Death Head trophy for a while now) to make the Captains. Possibly even making them shiny brass like the kraken helmets were intended to be.

This is either a brilliant idea or a horrible one, so anyone who wants to smack some sense into me is more than welcome to.

That paint scheme looks way better on the new painter. :lol:

In the stories I've written, Filo also had a power sword. Does that contradict what wargear you thought he had? If so, it's an easy change. ;)

Weapons to fit personalities...

It depends on what you define as the baseline average for your Chapter, but if you say that the sword is the weapon of choice for most officers - or just those characters in the Gehenna Campaign - the you can use the following:

Power weapons, or even Relic blades, can take any form.

(Power/Relic) Spear - For characters of a more insular, defensive nature.

Thunder Hammer - Characters who are verbose or brash.

(Power/Relic) Axe - For those who like to take trophies like heads.