Death Heads V5.0

Donkey Kong

Small edits made to the OP.

What would you recommend as a replacement name for the Fortress Monastery. The Ravenous isn't really fitting for an island, I feel anyway.

I thought of something like The Solitaire, but that also matches the name of one of the Harlequins, as well as a card game, a small bird and an extinct, flightless bird :unsure: .

Hmm.

Perhaps instead of an island they could have the mother of all battleships for a fortress monastery? :D

I've never been much good at naming pirate-y sounding places, so I'm not sure I can help.

I don't suppose the island resembles a skull or a giant squid or anything else so obvious, does it? :)

Nah:

Skull Island belongs to a giant monkey.

The Black Templars already have the mother of all battle barges.

The Imperial Fists also have the Death Star gone Gothic.

And a squid shaped island is either the creation of a terribly humorous god or a wild (read: deranged and insane) imagination.

:lol:

On a more serious note, I don't think that a Chapter that is based on a single world would use a battle barge as a fortress monastery, kind of defeats some of the purpose in having a sanctuary world :confused: .

Would The Solitarian or Stylite work?

If I use Solitary, I'd rather not just call it The Solitary, instead using The Solitary [something].

Would that something be better as a castle, monastery, fortress, or something else entirely.

I'd rather avoid calling in The Solitary Blue, despite being a lovely book, it doesn't work in my favor (or the Chapter's) by using it.

Thanks,

KHK

I've gotta agree about the Ravenous, it's an awesome name for a ship, something that's predatory, but not a building.

Unless........ you could say that the fortress monastery is built up around the remains of the Chapter's first (maybe even only?) Battle Barge? That because of the Chapter's more individual Company organization, they prefer to use Strike Cruisers, and that in their early history the Ravenous mostly stayed orbiting Klysium as a temporary base of operations, then eventually ended up being landed on an island and expanded into a proper FM?

Ignore this if you like, it just popped into my head as I was typing! :D

Lysimachus

Combat Doctrine has basically undergone a rewrite.

I know I'm repeating myself, and I apologize, but:

- Chapter Organization is obscenely long, I honestly don't know what's redundant anymore, so if someone can pick at that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

- The Chapter's Fortress Monastery still needs a name, as of now it is a fortress built on a submerged plateau, catacombs are in the plateau.

- I'm still open to heraldry ideas for Captains, and possibly names, just as something to flesh out, this is the least important thing right now.

Thanks,

KHK

You could use some variation on Teutates for the name of the Drowned plateau or the Fortress that your Chapter calls home.

The god Teutates in Ireland was 'him of the tribe/nation'. people sacrificed to him by drowning other people. he was associated with war.

If you are going for a Sea and Lords of Death aproach you could name one of the Chaplins Donn. He is both of the Sea and Dead, for a given value of Dead. Donn was ac onquorer, if not a very bright one.

Thank you, Soddinnutter, I really appreciate the recommendations.

I spent some time looking up Teutates, and while it was certainly interesting, I think you gave me more material for names of Marines than a name for the Fortress Monastery. I mean no offense by this, they're certainly good names, however, most Fortress Monasteries have simple, "Imperial Gothic" names:

The Eternal Crusader

The Fang

The Fortress of Hera

The Phalanx

Hence why I'm searching for something that goes with Solitary (ie: The Solitary [blank]) or some such name.

KHK

Soul Reaver is a little much, but Abbey is actually a good suggestion, I think. Not necessarily "drowned" but, "The Solitary Abbey" maybe? I think the name sounds more like a church than a fortress, but with a Chapter set on combining art and warfare it's rather fitting.

Thank you very much soddinnutter :( !

EDIT: Edits made to OP. The Fortress Monastery is The Solitary Abbey until something better pops up B) .

Edited by KingHongKong

Well, a bit more thought has gone into the Captains, and I've stumbled upon a rather sloppy thing that doesn't even make much sense to me.

The Companies operate as individual Battle Companies, with the exception of the First which is, the veteran company.

So, the First Company Captain would move onto Chapter Master by default when the Chapter Master dies as the most venerable and best warrior.

Here's where the issue comes up, how is the First Company Captain selected?

Would it make sense for there to be an election among the Chaplains, Librarians and Captains? Should the First Captain pick his successor? Is there a Veteran Sergeant in the First Captain's retinue who takes his place when he moves on or dies?

Any commentary on the OP is more than welcome. Any points of confusion that anyone can point out would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KHK

Y'kno, I've always been awed by the artwork done by members on the Bolter and Chainsword like Cpt_Tiberius and Aerion the Faithful (God forgive me for using the name of greatness in vain).

In all seriousness, I've always wanted a little piece of artwork for the Death Heads, and being in High school, I have no real means of paying (not old enough to work) and being at the whim of my Parents. Then it hit me, because I've been in enough of these art classes to know how to draw basic shapes and I've been told I'm a little above average.

So, here is a Marine from the Death Heads Forth Company, Beakie helmet, skull resembling a demonic Eldar of sorts, one of the pads is studded, the other has a terrible attempt at drawing the kraken emblem and a roman numeral IV. On the forehead of the skull is an ork glyph, the three points, can't recall what it means exactly, but it was something along the lines of bada** or boss.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/parouleklin/scan0001.jpg?

As a member of the Forth Company I wanted something harking to this:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5741/companieswy8.jpg

considering how I lack the nerve to try a torso and don't even get me started on arms and legs :) , I figure I could have done something like the Forth on the studded shoulder.

So, for a first try, I think I'm off to a good start, this is my first real attempt at drawing power armor, it's also my first time scanning a picture (and I'll be damned if that wasn't one hell of a learning curve without anything to go by, honestly I'm embarrassed because of how easy it was, ah well, now I know, right :D ?).

I tried drawing a bolter somewhere else, but in my teenage hormonal state I ripped it up. . . :blush: . Also, I learned that apparently drawing a rectangle with a wee nub for a barrel is freaking hard.

So, comment, if it's atrocious, someone can beat me with the Big Red Book, if not, I'll try and give it another go.

Thanks again,

KHK

EDIT:

OH :cuss ! I drew the Company symbol wrong, I drew it like 7th (horizontal) instead of 4th (vertical)! There is a lesson to be learned here, it's either something to do with envy or something to do with not drawing at 11:00 in the evening. Perhaps both, I don't know.

Well, the Death Heads like their lucky red, so, maybe it'll look okay regardless of what it was supposed to be :D .

Slight correction on the glyph, its Gor, translating into: blood, red, wound and/or slaughter. Still, sounds like bada** :lol:

The shoulder pads are also way too high, yet another reason to not draw when tired.

Edited by KingHongKong

No, you're right, power armor cannot be worn until the neophyte has developed a black carapace. Hence, the Chapter Organization where the neophyte is trained until the black carapace has developed.

I donno if I missed someone else responding to this, but it can. Blood claws do it, Inquisitors do it, hell battle sisters do it. Granted it loses some of the benefits without i, but it still works well for the most part. Only thing stopping it is Rowboat being all fussy 10K years ago.

I'm pretty sure Blood Claws have the Black Carapace. Most sources say that Astartes Power Armor requires the Black Carapace to be worn.

The exceptions you stated, Inquisitors, Sisters, have either different kinds of power armor, or it may be possible for Inquisitors to request the black carapace because they can do everything else ;) .

I could be wrong, but in the end, I've changed it and for now it's staying with carapace armored neophytes. Thank you for your input,

KHK

Hmmm, no comment on my doodle :D ?

Regardless of that little episode, can someone help me with the predicament in the post before that.

In a customary chain of command, who advances to the First Captain position when the First Captain dies or moves onto the Chapter Master in a situation where there are 9 Active Battle Companies? Does the First Company have a senior sergeant like the Active Companies who moves on or is there usually an election of sorts?

Thanks, KHK.

The exceptions you stated, Inquisitors, Sisters, have either different kinds of power armor,

Yup, they all have different kinds of power armour (types that are suitable for normal humans). More detailed 40k gaming systems (Inquisitor and Dark Heresy come to mind) make it quite clear that Astartes power armour is better.

I've almost forgotten, I've been rereading The Saint, more specifically Sabbat Martyr, by Dan Abnett and it turns out that the Reverent is in use as a name as a :cuss. I know it's almost paranoid for me to be fussing over this, but I think it gives some reason to change the name of Thussaud's Strike Cruiser and the Space Hulk that engulfs it.

Originally I intended to have all of the Chapter's ships named after women in mythology, hence the Battle Barge Nausicaa and the proposed Strike Cruisers Cassandra and Hermione.

I don't think the idea really works, Nausicaa works since the name literally means "destroyer of ships", Cassandra is just bad luck and Hermione is . . . well a beautiful woman.

So, in addition to any commentary on my midnight drawing and the organization of the First Company and who succeeds the First Captain, I really need suggestions for the name of a Strike Cruiser and a Space Hulk that the ship in question attaches to.

Thanks again,

KHK

I don't think it's a big problem if the name is the same, there are now and have been throughout the 10,000 year history of the Imperium a huge number of ships.

Having said that, I don't see any problems with using women's names for ships either, in some cultures ships are considered 'she's. Then it's simply a matter of the ship being the Hermione (for example) and the hulk being 'Hermione's Grave' or 'Hermione's Rest' or something.

the organization of the First Company and who succeeds the First Captain

This probably varies from Chapter to Chapter so it's up to you. Logic says to me that it would most likely be the most experienced of the 9 Battle Company Captains?

Hermione is . . . well a beautiful woman.

See now I know we're not talking about the Harry Potter series (or films rather) <_<

Then it's simply a matter of the ship being the Hermione (for example) and the hulk being 'Hermione's Grave' or 'Hermione's Rest' or something.

I agree, Hermione's Grave being my favourite.

Hmmm, so I guess my art can't inspire a comment :D , ah well, it can only go up from here.

Having said that, I don't see any problems with using women's names for ships either, in some cultures ships are considered 'she's.

That was more or less the intention with the original pirate influence.

Logic says to me that it would most likely be the most experienced of the 9 Battle Company Captains?

That's probably the best option, maybe even creating a greater tragedy with Thussaud's fall by making him the intended successor?

See now I know we're not talking about the Harry Potter series (or films rather) tongue.gif

Funny, Ferrus, but I figured teenagers (like my own ilk) were partial to Emma Watson :) !

I agree, Hermione's Grave being my favourite.

So, consensus says name Thussaud's ship Hermione. Time to edit the OP then.

Thanks,

KHK

All I can say is that power armor is a ... to draw. Not only the shape of the different armor parts, but also the proportions of them and the altered proportions of the marine inside. I like the front view shape of the helmet, pretty well done, but the pads could use some work. Unless you're going for the old-school look.

Personally I like the more rounded with a bit of a blocky feel to the pads. I usually try to envision a rectangle with one of its corners rounded as the basic shape.

Th pads should be farther from the head as well, give it a more broad shouldered feel.

Edited by Codex Grey

Mmm, I see what you mean Grey. Proportions were never my forte :) and the shoulders really are funny, aren't they? Far too high. I'll keep this in mind when I draw another one.

In other news, I've been thinking about the Chapter's leaders at the time of ending, right now, five Captains are names, of which two are dead.

Time of Ending:

Chapter Master Tobulo ~800-900 years old

succeeds Nemo (deceased)

First Captain ???

succeeds Tobulo (Chapter Master)

Second/ "Eleventh" Commander Narrik

succeeds Thussaud (deceased)

Third Captain Quorra ~400-500 years old

succeeds Taggart (deceased)

Fourth Captain Filo ~600-700 years old

succeeds ??? (deceased)

Other names I have in my head are:

Troa

Pax

Oro

Of the names, I think I'll be using Troa and Pax as names for the Librarians, if not Captains.

By the time of ending, Tobulo has taken his place as Chapter Master, still unsure of when or how Nemo dies. Tobulo hasn't changed much since Gehenna, he's still a wise commander and strong warrior.

Filo has taken up Thussaud's mantle, more or less, since he was the Captain under Thussaud's wing. While Narrik hunts Thussaud's helm, Filo chooses to honor the Captain by using his tactics, and everything he learned to the best of his ability.

Narrik continues hunting for Thussaud's helm. He is as zealous and arrogant as ever.

Quorra is one of the latest "young" Captains to join the Death Heads' leadership, advancing following Taggarts death on Gehenna. Humble in the face of the more venerable Captains, Quorra is soft spoken, but a fine leader. Just as witty as his predecessor, Quorra is cunning, but knows when to hold his tongue. He uses his Company's Chaplain and Librarian as sound advisers, both are far older and more experienced than him.

Quorra does translate into "heart" in Italian, or rather a girl's name which means heart. Regardless, I'm rather fond of it.

As far as organization goes, I'm considering editing it a bit.

The Companies will follow normal procedure of a Senior Sergeant who takes the Captain's place once he advances or dies.

The First Captain will be selected by the Chapter's Chaplains and Librarians from the most venerable Captains once the First Captain advances or dies.

The First Captain replaces the Chapter Master once he dies by default.

One thing I'm considering editing with the First Company is giving it more members, just to clarify, I'm not pushing the number of marines well past the codex limit.

The Death Heads have 10 independent companies, they're all organized to be battle companies and have their own Assaulters, Devastators, Tacticals and Scouts. They are all led by veteran sergeants, so following this: 10 sergeants, 10 companies, that's 100 veterans off the bat, each having served in the First Company at one point in their lives.

So, the First Company has "200+ members", although only so many are directly in the first company with the rest being divided amongst the companies as sergeants.

Also, because the First Company rarely operates as a single entity, squads are usually organized from members of the same company, for example, a First Company veteran squad who have all advanced onto the First Company from the Third Company, and go back to the Company of their origin, using the same example of the Veteran squad from Third Company returning to Third Company. Does this make sense?