Death Heads V5.0

Donkey Kong

Not so bad an idea regarding the tainted, but I quite liked them the first time around.

I'll be interested to see what you can do with that idea.

Having read all of Octavulg's arguments (and of course the counter arguments) I think I can see where some of the problems have come from.

This is the fifth version of this chapter, after all. Rewriting sometimes means cutting out bits, and forgetting to mention them until later on - hence the delay in explaining the chapter's name. Those of us who have been following this chapter since it's youth simply accept the name, whilst an outsider looking in is more likely to raise the questions.

I know re-wording the Infinity Knights wasn't easy - I kept missing bits out, which people promptly commented on. Excuse the shameless plugging, but it's the best example I have.

However, I must hang my head in shame at some of the points debated here.

If you don't think squids are scary, all well and good. I envy you. However, if you came from Klysium, you might not know what a lion or a dragon is. Also I suspect even the more enlightened sailors there are likely to fear the giant squids more than the lions that can't get them at sea.

To clarify - a person making a scary helm can only go on what is scary to themselves. I for one want no part of giant squid, lions, or anything of that kidney whatsoever. If the natives of Klysium feel the same way, I think the use of the squid helms is certainly justified. Perhaps something to fill the 20,000 year gap with regard to ports being wrecked by the massive octopi in question could work towards an answer for both of those points.

Secondly, the use of the word barbaric. Although in all honesty I laughed and laughed at the line about the Gaulish tanks, I don't see the problem here at all. Pirates were barbaric. Just because they're clad in power armour, sworn to the Emperor and have tanks as well as ships, they're suddenly merely brutal? Is it not possible to retain the traits of a barbaric culture when you have tanks? Brutal conjures up images of bloody violence, sure. But the word barbaric does so with roaring and people running in fear thrown in for good measure, and thus ties in nicely with the way I view the Death Heads.

The battle cry is also fine, from where I stand. "We shall never die!" is certainly no sillier than any other battle cry. It might refer to the marines themselves, the chapter, or even the wider Imperium as a whole. Personally I like the multiple, open interpretations here much better than "We shall never die unless you kill us!"

Battle cries are meant to inspire your side, and strike fear into the enemy. It might not be true, but you can make the enemy believe it with your space-marine levels of killing power and your barbaric fighting methods, and that cry is bound to prey on the minds of your enemies.

With regards to taking criticisms the wrong way, too. If anyone had done this to my chapter, I'd have appreciated the detail and depth of thought in the comments. However, what would have greatly raised my ire is if the critic haad chosen to pick at the smaller details early on, such as the names of chapter members, rather than the important issues, such as the holes in organisation and what-have-you. This is what I see in this instance, so I sympathise. And in all honesty, Octavulg, if someone hurled that much sarcasm at one of your chapters, would you not take at least some degree of offence yourself? (That sounds much more like a challenge when written down, I am aware - that is not the intent of this comment, it is merely to draw attention to the fact that sarcasm and what could be seen as picking at trivial details first can make even the best critics sound irritating.)

Just because you read the information in a certain order does not mean you should criticize in the same order. This is not a shot at you, Octavulg, as I'm certain you don't need telling. Rather it's the moral of the story for anyone who wants to take one home. :D

If I've got the wrong end of the stick with any of these points, feel free to correct me.

Terry Pratchett is indeed a figure of repute, and the best author ever to put pen to paper. Now that's a point I'll defend until death. ;)

Strike Captain Lysimachus' idea about dropping a line or two into the organisation to explain the absence of the second company seems like a good idea.

Filo Howl fits fine with the rest of the names. If you choose to change it, though, I've got some story-editing to do. :tu:

Darth Potato

The Tainted section as it currently stands is here:

Second Company Captain Strabo Thussaud was lost to the warp following his victory in the Gehenna Campaign. A proud Astartes, Thussaud was beloved by many in the Chapter and renown for his ability to command and fighting prowess. Thussaud and his Company reemerged two Terran years later, twisted and corrupted by the powers of the Immaterium. Many had attempted to heal their tainted bodies by replacing their tampered limbs with bionics. Their efforts were in vain. His battle brothers were left mutated and metal husks, a shame to their Chapter, their Company, their Emperor and themselves.

Thussaud's ship reappeared before Klysium. Soon after, he was boarded by the present Captain and his friend, Filo Howl of the Fourth Company. A compassionate Astartes, Howl was close to his battle brothers and like Thussaud he was beloved by all, though for a different reason. He was benelovent and kind to his battle brothers, yet he fought with the fervor of their most zealous warriors. Thussaud and Howl both knew the consequences if he remained on the world to face judgment from the rest of the Chapter. Thussaud fell to his knees, begging Howl to be allowed to leave with his brothers in a new vessel. Reluctantly Howl complied, giving Thussad the recently repaired strike cruiser Pandora. He could not bear the though of being responsible for the execution of a single Astartes, let alone a company of his fellow brothers. Thussaud and his Tainted Company flew off into the Ork Empires surrounding the Maelstrom, with the sole intention of attain a death worthy of an Astartes.

Once news of Thussaud's reappearance and escape surfaced, Chapter Master Hector Lamosa and a council of Captains held Filo Howl on trial for his treachery, he was declared guilty. Howl was stripped of his title and honors, and sentenced on a Penitent Crusade. Following this, the council decided on the necessity of purging the False Captain Thussaud. Astos Narrick, Champion of First Company, was selected to lead a replacement Second Company, unknowingly tasked with the duty of hunting down Thussaud and his Astartes. Narrick was given the title Commander, much to his distaste. He was ordered to retrieve Thussaud's relic helm to earn full honors and captaincy. He eagerly obliged, swearing to slay the traitor Thussaud and all of his treacherous kin. Narrick, his own Astartes and a contingent of veterans from the Fourth Company, impatient to earn back their Company's lost honor, set off in the Strike Cruiser Cassandra, into the Ork Empires.

Strike Captain Lysimachus

Thank you for those points and appropriate edits have been made ;) .

I did mean arbites, but your clarification made it clear that it wouldn't fit, thank you.

I didn't know about the Silver Skulls head hunting, but the Death Head's trophy taking is a large part of the Chapter. Not really a substitute, but it kind of makes mentioning head hunting redundant.

Ace Debonair

Thank you, I hope you like the next Tainted section.

I'm glad that the Tainted idea has gotten some positive support, I especially like Lysimachus' comment about feeling sorry for Thussaud.

Another thing I've noticed every time I read through the IA to pick edits (obviously poorly <_< ), the pirate influences really don't seem to be as apparent. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see that?

Thanks, KHK

Edited by KingHongKong

Hmm, my last post seems a little bit too bitey. :lol:

Apologies for the abruptness of my comments. I may have got slightly carried away. :P

Anyway, I haven't had time to read all of your IA again properly in a little while, but there are two things I spotted, both in the section where you talk about the giant squid.

There's an "L" left out of Klysium early on in that paragraph. I'd quote it, but I can't find it myself again now. :P

Also:

"Over twenty meters in length and weighing over ten thousand kilograms, the Klysian Octopus is a solitary predator, though there have been multiple recordings of attacks on trading ships."

Do you mean reports of multiple Octopi attacking a ship? Or is this just to alert us to the danger they pose to ships? Either way, I suspect this could be re-worded to more accurately describe the situation you had in mind.

The homeworld section seems more solid now. Good stuff. ;)

Well, here's a little WIP on the second Tainted Section:

The Names basically border on crap, I feel like I abused the Thesaurus, but other than that, I think I did a solid job on this second forming.

I don't know why I'm still calling it the Tainted, but until a new name comes up, I guess it'll work.

The Tainted

There is a tale, there is a tale so loathsome, it is hidden away from the eyes of men and Astartes, The Fall of Captain Strabo Thussaud. A hero of the Chapter, struck down after his greatest victory, Thussaud led his Second Company into the maw of damnation. Returning to Klysium after completion of the Gehenna Campaign, Thussaud’s Strike Cruiser, The Reverent voyaged into the Immaterium, and it was consumed. Damaged from constant years of war, The Reverent gave in to the tempest. Torn asunder from stem to stern, Thussaud’s Second was annihilated and remnants were devoured by a massive Space Hulk.

Emerging from the Warp several months later, the abomination was taken by the Orks. A Warboss had found what was the Bridge of Thussaud’s Reverent the corpse of the heroic Captain lay sprawled next to a dozen of his Astartes and corpses of the Warp’s spawn. Plucking the helm from Thussaud’s corpse, the Warboss crowned himself with the fearsome relic. A Strike Cruiser under Astos Narrick found the Hulk nearly two years after Thussaud’s disappearance. The Chapter had dedicated small forces to watch for Thussaud’s Second or to reclaim its relics. Upon identifying sections of The Reverent, the Hulk was classified as The Grave of Reverence.

Boarding the vessel with a squad of Terminators, Astos fought his way through Orks to the decrepit bridge of The Reverent. Upon seeing the corpses of his Chapter’s hero, Narrick grimaced in disgust. The relic helm was impossible to find amongst the fallen. Set on finding the helm, Narrick tore through The Grave, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. Upon sighting the Ork Warboss with the Chapter’s sacred relic atop its unholy head, Narrick descended into a terrible rage, exterminating the Ork’s guard. His efforts were in vein, for with every xeno he slew, the Warboss fled farther and farther away, and gave time for more of the xeno’s ilk to enter the fray. Realizing the impossibility for reclaiming the helm, Narrick and his squad returned to their boarding craft.

Outraged, Narrick returned to Klysium. He expressed his feelings for Thussaud’s failure in protecting the Chapter’s most sacred relic and his own longing to reclaim the helm from the corpse of the Ork Warboss. The Chapter’s Captains came to a consensus. Narrick would track down this Ork and slay him in the name of the Chapter. Upon his return, he would be named Captain, until his tasks completion, Narrick would lead a replacement Second Company under the title of Commander. Furious about this slight against his honor, Narrick swore to reclaim the Helm. Ashamed of Thussaud’s loss, the Commander named his Company the Eleventh and set off in search of The Grave of Reverence.

Thanks, KHK

I like it. nicely put together, the names (I assume you mean the ship and then the hulk?) work fine to me! The one thing I would change is the time scale. It takes a long, long time for a hulk to build up, either that or the Strike Cruiser will be on the outside of an older hulk where it hit its surface. I could see it being in terms of years lost in the warp, then appearing and being taken by the Orks (having said all that I suppose we have to bear in mind that given the odd nature of the warp the ship could be lost for many years in the warp and only a short time could have passed in real space, could even appear before it left!).

Also (sorry, I know I only said one thing!) you have to consider the unlikeliness (given how randomly hulks move) that it would be the Death Heads who are the next ones to see it again. Holy coincidence, Batman! ;) Perhaps it would be better if the hulk took the Orks to attack a planet somewhere else, and a completely different Chapter boards it in order to destroy it, they find the Death Heads ship and, being a noble lot, want to return the corpses, armour etc to their Chapter for proper burial and so on (you could even ask one of the guys from the Gehenna campaign if you could use their Chapter?). The Death Heads are happy, until the bodies arrive and there's no helm. They ask the other Chapter where it might be and they give them the name of the Ork Warboss who had used the hulk. Narrick sent to find Ork, find out what happened to helm.

:) sorry, just realized, that sounds like 'yep, great stuff, now go change it completely' :)

anyway, just some things to think about

cheers

Lysimachus

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

Lysimachus, I like your suggestions.

By names, I did mean the Strike Cruiser and the Hulk.

The Strike Cruiser is meant to be on the outside of an older Hulk.

Another Chapter finding the Hulk actually gives even more of a drive for Narrick since he has to see the Warboss.

I don't know which Chapter to use . . . hmmmm.

The Arctic Lions, Infinity Knights, or Warriors Eternal.

I wonder . . .

GHY, if you read this, do you remember a Chapter of yours called the Voyagers1?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=149608

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=151558

Would you mind if I used them for this small story?

Alternatively, anyone participating in Gehenna, if you wouldn't mind, just put a little response?

The coincidence is really just one that I've sort of ignored, but you're right, it sticks out.

I wonder, out of the Company, how many bodies they reclaim.

1. Digging through fifty pages is not fun.

Its just the change from The Reverent to the Grave of Reverence, the change threw me as they are so similar. I had to go back and check we were still talking about roughly the same ship. I'd suggest making the naming of the Hulk clearer or changing the Hulks' name to make it slightly more different to the original name.

In retrospect, I'd rather avoid name dropping.

Considering how the helms are supposed to be the most valued Chapter relics, would it be believable for the Death Heads to send out search squads?

Obviously it will still have to be edited.

Finally, does anyone have a name suggestion for either Thussaud's ship (The Reverent) or the Space Hulk (Grave of Reverence) ?

Thanks,

KHK

Considering how the helms are supposed to be the most valued Chapter relics, would it be believable for the Death Heads to send out search squads?

I figure it's very likely that they would send out search teams, although it's just a question of the likelihood of them getting there first? Whatever, I'm sure you'll be able to make it work!

As an aside, I meant to offer before, if you do want another Chapter to use to investigate hulk/find Thussaud, my Chapter, The Emperor's Blade, operate along the edge of the Maelstrom, so close enough without being too close, plus they're a very honourable lot so would want to return any fallen Chapter brethren for proper burial, etc. No problem at all if you don't want to go that way, but it's there if you do...

I'm slightly disappointed you're changing the ship's names, 'The Reverent' is fine and I thought giving the hulk a name that honoured the cruisers final resting place was quite cool. Still, up to you, I suppose it did kind of need a quick re-read to make sense of it first time round.

Lysimachus

Now that's unbelievable

I can imagine all the marines from the Gehenna Campaign just shaking their heads,

"Why, why, why, why, why!?"

:)

Lysimachus, thank you for your offer, but I'd rather break a little believability with my Chapter finding the Hulk. Or at least finding the parts of the Hulk where Thussaud is. The Orks found it when it emerged, and I'll include a bit more of a time gap.

I personally liked the names, so saying that they're fine makes me a happy camper :) .

Here we are:

The Tainted

There is a tale, there is a tale so loathsome, it is hidden away from the eyes of men and Astartes, The Fall of Captain Strabo Thussaud. A hero of the Chapter, struck down after his greatest victory, Thussaud led his Second Company into the maw of damnation. Returning to Klysium after completion of the Gehenna Campaign, Thussaud’s Strike Cruiser, The Reverent voyaged into the Immaterium, and it was consumed. Damaged from constant years of war, The Reverent gave in to the tempest. Torn asunder from stem to stern, Thussaud’s Second was annihilated and remnants of his vessel were devoured by a massive Space Hulk.

Since Thussaud's disappearance, the Chapter had dedicated a number of small forces to watch for Thussaud’s Second and reclaim its relics, Thussaud's Captain helm chief among them. For months, The Reverent had phased between warp and real space, until it was finally claimed by green-skins. On the hulk, their numbers grew, and as they expanded throughout the ruin, the Warboss stumbled upon the bridge of The Reverent, Thussuad's resting place. The Warboss and his kin robbed the corpses of their treasures, and the Warboss plucked Thussaud's helm from his limp head, and crowned himself with the fearsome relic.

No less than two years following the beginning of the hunt, two squads from the Death Heads' First Company found the Hulk. Upon identifying sections of The Reverent in its stone hide, the Hulk was classified as The Grave of Reverence. The venerable Astartes began their work. Clad in Terminator Armor, the Death Heads fought through the green-skin horde onto the decrepit bridge of The Reverent. Upon seeing the beaten bodies of their battle brothers, they grimaced in disgust, and began the task of searching for their Chapter's treasures. The relic helm was not amongst the fallen.

Set on finding the helm, they tore through The Grave, carrying their battle brothers bodies on their backs and leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. Sergeant Balthamo was first to spot the Ork Warboss, vile with the Chapter's most sacred treasure atop its unholy head. The Astartes descended upon the Orks, but their efforts were in vein, for with every xeno they slew, the Warboss fled farther and farther away, and gave time for more of the xeno’s ilk to enter the fray. Realizing their defeat, the Astartes returned to their boarding craft.

Disheartened and broken, Sergeants Balthamo and Pantilimon presented their findings to the Chapter Master and Captains on Klysium. Champion of the First Company, Narrik, was outraged by his brothers' failure. Narrik accused the fallen Thussaud of failing to protect the most valuable of the Chapter's relics and his own longing to reclaim the helm from the broken corpse of the Ork Warboss. The Chapter's Captains observed the resting of Thussaud, and began the formation of another company to replace the Second. They talked of who would lead this force, leaders in the First Company, veterans all.

None were as driven, nor as dogmatic and eager to please, as Narrik, Champion of the First. Narrik was tasked with hunting down the Ork Warboss, slaying him and reclaiming stolen relics. Placed in command of the Second Company, Narrik quickly denounced the name, taking up the title of the Eleventh so as to escape the shame Thussaud had brought upon the Chapter. In place of the Captain title bestowed to the leaders of Companies, Narrik was named Commander, promised only the full honors of his position when his task was done. Furious about this slight against his honor, Narrik swore to reclaim the helm, and set off in search of The Grave of Reverence.

- - -

I don't know if this is better or worse, please tell me.

As far as names go, I've decided to go with using single names for the Chapter's characters,

Filo Howl will now be Captain Filo

Strabo Thussaud will now be Captain Thussaud

Lucil Tobulo will now be Captain Tobulo

Astos Narrik will now be Commander Narrik

As far as the Terminator squads go:

Sergeant Balthamo Storm Bolter + Power Sword

Brother Tatton Storm Bolter + Chain Fist

Brother Moik Storm Bolter + Power Fist

Brother Laffiti Heavy Flamer + Power Fist

Brother Barssaud Storm Bolter + Power Fist

Sergeant Pantilimon Storm Bolter + Power Sword

Brother Roux Assault Cannon + Power Fist

Brother Forn Storm Bolter + Power Fist

Brother Nikolo Storm Bolter + Power Fist

Brother Jiro Storm Bolter + Power Fist

I just though it would be fun to come up with some names for the Chapter's Astartes.

They can be changed, but it's more or less just inspiration for me and maybe ideas for the Gehenna Campaign.

Finally, before anyone asks, yes I have been reading the His Dark Materials trilogy recently, I love the books very much and yes, I did modify some names to fit in with the Chapter, most notably the Sergeants:

Balthamo = Balthamos (or Balthamus, can't really remember, it was Balth something) and

Pantilimon = Pantalaimon (based on the Saint Panteleimon)

I know I mentioned it before, but I didn't really get responses, does anyone else notice the original vibe of "pirate space marines" mixing more and become more of a Space Marine Chapter that has been influenced by a theme instead of a theme in power armor? I know this is a good thing, but I just was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

Thanks,

KHK

Only one problem, they're blue ... :o

Seems like all the Chapters the Death Heads meet are blue. Now that's unbelievable :D

^_^ I hadn't even thought of that! Do you think someone's trying to tell them something!? :blink:

No worries KHK, and I reckon this version of the tainted is pretty much good to go. One thing to think about, I know I was the one who suggested it be a sidebar in the article, but it's probably too long for that now (squished up on one side of the page it will probably run half the length of the whole article!). It might be an idea to put it back in as a main section, perhaps just after the 'Organization' so it doesn't come across as tacked on at the end?

Single names work fine, good idea!

I know I mentioned it before, but I didn't really get responses, does anyone else notice the original vibe of "pirate space marines" mixing more and become more of a Space Marine Chapter that has been influenced by a theme instead of a theme in power armor? I know this is a good thing, but I just was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

It isn't quite as obvious as maybe it once was. To be honest, having only read the more recent versions of the IA, it was only after seeing that they were originally supposed to be pirates, that I joined the dots (water world, barbaric, trinkets, etc). This is a very good thing in an IA, themes taken from RL should be subtle, otherwise they ruin the suspension of disbelief. Specifically, it would be very hard to do an actual 'pirate' Space Marine force and keep them loyalist; after all, a pirate is only looking out for himself and is usually pretty amoral, not good qualities in a Chapter (shameless plug, see my 'Iron Gods' that I'm currently working on ;) ).

Overall, it's a very good piece.

cheers

Lysimachus

Thank you, Lysimachus!

it will probably run half the length of the whole article!

Perhaps, but I've always loved those articles in the Liber with the story running down the side, I guess I finally have one now :D !

a pirate is only looking out for himself and is usually pretty amoral

Hey, pirates had their code, :P , their honor, their benefits package, shame the new Chaos Book took the idea and ran with it :( . . . :P !

KHK

EDIT: I put the thing in the side bar . . . rather big story, I guess. I made a few edits there not present in the one a few posts above this one, mostly to better the flow.

I don't really know where to go from here. . . terrible shame, really :lol: !

Edited by KingHongKong

GHY, if you read this, do you remember a Chapter of yours called the Voyagers?

Honestly I'd completely forgotten about them until now and while I've taken another look at all of my DIY's to date, I left them out due to gaping bloody great holes in my memory. :)

Anyway, no I wouldn't mind at all, quite the opposite actually. I'd be well chuffed.

I know this is a good thing, but I just was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

I remember a certain piano-organ-mounted-on-a-tank that I railed against, that is nowhere to be seen and thank the Emperor for that. ;)

Definitely a good thing and definitely the direction you want. It's looking better and better KHK.

Sorry I took so long to post, I've been away for a few days and now and only just got back online.

Edited by Grey Hunter Ydalir

looks pretty good! Aside from a couple of little bits where I'm not quite sure about the grammar (I'm no expert! :sick: ), the only thing I noticed was this bit:

Later, in the days of the Horus Heresy, Klysium was host to one of the greatest battles that did not involve the Legionnaires Astartes. In one of its last missions against the Warmaster's Mechanicus and Army forces, the Klysian military targeted the world's ice caps, destroying them with countless bombs and explosives. Monumental tides from the broken poles washed down the world's expansive canyons, submerging all but the highest cities.

I think in a previous version you put a little more detail as to why they did something so drastic, which was good. Maybe instead of 'In one of its last missions against the Warmaster's Mechanicus and Army forces,.....' you could go with something like 'In a final, desperate attempt to destroy the far superior forces of the Warmaster's Mechanicus and Army forces,......'.

I'd also add at the end of the last sentence: 'and drowning the hated traitors.'

It's not much, but something like that just explains a bit better why Klysium is what it is.

I've started trying to draw out characters more. I'll try and name some of the current Captains, their heraldry and some of their personalities. I also thought it would be interesting for each Captain to have their own banner, similar to the Space Wolves, due to each Company being independent. The Chapter's symbol wouldn't change, and I think that the Chapter Master would keep the Chapter Banner which would have the Death Heads symbol with all of the Chapter's honors sewn on.

Names, heraldry and banner suggestions are all welcome.

I've considered other things like Turtles, mermaids, sea serpents and maybe hydras.

Fist Captain Tobulo

Heraldry: Cecaelia (dancing)

First Company Banner: Cecaelia bearing shield on rock, in stormy ocean

Tobulo has served as Captain of the First Company for four hundred years and is nearly six hundred years old. Calmed by centuries of war, Tobulo is a mild, calculating commander, though he remains a fearsome sight on the battlefield. He is a well liked and respected member of the Chapter. Far less superstitious than more devout brothers, Tobulo has made peace with other factions within the Imperium where others would be more hostile. Tobulo rarely participates in infiltration actions, instead taking it upon himself to lead invasions and take command of larger campaigns. Ship master of the Battle Barge Nausicaa, Tobulo has led forces on the ground and in orbit above contested worlds. In addition to this, Tobulo has fought against near all enemies of mankind.

Second Captain Thussaud [deceased]

Heraldry: Manta ray

Second Company Banner:

A fearsome sight, leading from the front, Thussaud was a more venerable Captain within the Chapter. Nearly five hundred by his untimely death, Thussaud had served as Captain for two centuries. Thussaud was a devout warrior. Respected by his brothers, Thussaud was hailed as one of the greatest heroes and most skilled warriors in the Chapter. Thussaud was more tolerant to those who he felt brought bad luck, often disregarding it, and denouncing the more vocal members of the Chapter. Thussaud crafted a name for himself fighting against the Ork threat that invaded worlds in Segmentum Ultima.

Third Captain Taggart

Heraldry: Gorgon head

Third Company Banner:

Humorous and witty, Taggart embodies the heart of the Death Heads' free spirit. A younger captain, Taggart is still eager to win trophies in the name of the Emperor, a habit many of the Chapter's Captains have either forgotten or continued to do on a less than regular basis. A skilled orator, and famed for his guile in infiltration operations, Taggart has led many enemies to turn in upon themselves. In addition to this, Taggart has also foiled the plans of many an Eldar seer, and has slain far more. More zealous than many of his brothers, Taggart follows the Klysian superstition with a passion, disguising his fear in ridiculing jokes.

Fourth Captain Filo

Heraldry: Dolphin (in ring/ similar to ourboros)

Fourth Company Banner:

A compassionate captain, Filo is seen in a variety of lights by his brothers. Many feel that Filo is devout to the Chapter, believing that his nature is just. Others feel that he is too soft, and unfit for command. Like Taggart, Filo is a younger captain, both physically and emotionally. He has not be weather beaten by war, and continues to follow Klysian belief, though he is far more tolerant than most of his brothers. Filo has developed a friendship with Thussaud, and many say he has been mentored by the hero. While not the best, Filo is a sound fighter, eager to lead assaults.

Eleventh Commander Narrik

Heraldry: Shark (in ring/ similar to ourboros)

Eleventh Company Banner:

Arrogant, dogmatic and faithful to the core, Narrik numbers amongst the finest warriors in the Chapter. Previous champion of the First Company, Narrik was selected to lead the Eleventh Company solely for his obedience to the more venerable Captains, and desire to please them by accomplishing the task of retrieving Thussaud's lost helm. Many of the Death Heads dislike the Commander, feeling that he is too obedient. However, none can refute his combat prowess, though they all feel that he would be far more fit as an honor guard. A poor infiltrator, Narrik has been the spearhead for invasions almost immediately following his induction into the Assault Squads.

please comment,

KHK

Edited by KingHongKong

No more Howl? :o

Hmm, I got me some editing to do. :P

The characterisations for the Captains you posted are very cool.

You're going to set me off on wondering how I'd describe all my Infinity Knights if I was doing that. :P

That'll probably set me off on actually adding that to the IA too. :)

with regards to "the tainted" - I like it a lot, but the first few lines make it sound like it's going to be much, much grimmer than it is. I also have my suspicions that whilst Commander Narrick might call it a dark, loathsome tale, the Captains might be more inclined to speak it sorrowfully, as befits a tale of the loss of one of the chapter's most honoured captains/relics.

Perhaps the whole story was told from Narrick's view? ;)

Best of luck with your own Captains, AD :rolleyes: !

You're quite right, the loathsome part is a bit over the top. However, regardless of how interesting it would be from Narrik's point of view, I think it works better from a third person narration. I'll edit the beginning.

Thanks,

KHK