Perditia

Donkey Kong

You make a good point with capturing the station GHY. The Imperial Goal is to capture the ACN intact. It is an economic resource that the local Imperial forces need to continue functioning.

The whole ordeal will more than likely involve scouts infiltrating the train station, boarding the train while it is unloading and reloading cargo, and calling down Terminator squads once the Train is out of reach of the station and on open tracks, undefended by static turrets. Death Head infiltration squads will also probably take Stations in Imperial zones, minimizing collateral damage.

The train a connector for the entire city network, imagine it like Hel's Highway from Helsreach, it makes or breaks the ability to quickly and efficiently transport troops and supplies. If it is destroyed, there is no benefit, and there is the loss of a valuable Mechanicus train that will delay the ACN returning to peak efficiency.

As for disconnecting train cars and choke points, I don't know how to address the first one. I imagined that there would be multiple cars, some being used as barracks for troops and others being supply cars, all in varied orders, so the Train conductor would probably be reluctant to leave his people behind, if not fear the punishment for failing to deliver all the supplies that he is supposed to. The choke points, Terminators don't know what those are :) . The Death Heads varied Terminator Squads will likely just plow through the entire train.

EDIT: Also, the track has multiple stations, some in Imperial territory and others in enemy territory. I cam imagine a scene like the battle in Return of the King where Perditian troops awaiting support before being informed that the train has been taken over being relieved by its arrival only to be massacred once troops unload.

Thoughts? I'm not sure about the belt, but otherwise I like it.

I'll agree with you, the belt looks a little out of place. I also think the Company number should be larger (ie Dawn of War 2), and the right knee pad should have a squad number.

This isn't a fault on your part, but I always thought the skull (even when Dazzo tried it) didn't look good on an MK7 helmet, and always looked better on an MK6 (and will probably look really cool on an MK 2, 3 and 4).

It's still gold, Ferrus. Thanks!

Dude, Awesome. :lol:

That Death Head marine is fantastic! ;)

I'm not sure what the best solution for the World Train is, unless you were to have some of the Astartes striking a station where the train would be backed by external firepower. Then, when the train slows, expecting support, and nothing happens... :P

It'd maybe mean less marines on the train, but I figure working to make the main obstacle less imposing (securing the train intact) would fit the Arctic Lions' tactical style.

Better still, when the train slows down at the station, more astartes could board the train. Just picture the look on the train-driver's face. "You were expecting someone else?" :D

Glad you like it guys! Now, I present Brother Barboa, 3rd Company, 2nd Squad:

gallery_21935_2955_27428.jpg

If you could PM me a SMP image, with a gridded background I'll give a 'typical' marine ago.

Same for Ace and CG, if they happen to read this. A few ideas of what you think would make them out to would be nice. ;)

Which version of the painter should we be using, out of curiosity?

The newest version. (V9.0)

That Deaths Head marine is fantastic Ferrus. You should start charging for commissions!

I imagined that there would be multiple cars, some being used as barracks for troops and others being supply cars, all in varied orders, so the Train conductor would probably be reluctant to leave his people behind, if not fear the punishment for failing to deliver all the supplies that he is supposed to.

The only thing I can say in response is the risk/reward ratio going through the train commanders head when it's in the process of being stormed by some of the most elite of the galaxies most feared warriors. The difference between the train arriving with some supplies and not arriving at all, or in Imperial hands is quite a large one and may well be worth the sacrifice of supplies and/or men to achieve that.

Simplest solution is to have the attackers not simply all teleport to the same location. Dispersal throughout the train and simultaneous assaults are your best bet to keep it in one piece.

Now, I present Brother Barboa, 3rd Company, 2nd Squad:

But, Ferrus! His heraldry's all wrong!

He has Fourth Company's pad pattern on his knee and his squad number is on the wrong pad!

:D

In jest, of course. I still think I'll agree with GHY:

That Deaths Head marine is fantastic Ferrus. You should start charging for commissions!

QFT!

Simplest solution is to have the attackers not simply all teleport to the same location. Dispersal throughout the train and simultaneous assaults are your best bet to keep it in one piece.

Sounds like a plan. I think the Death Heads will be racing the Arctic Lions to the two ends of the Train, friendly competition of course.

But, Ferrus! His heraldry's all wrong!

He has Fourth Company's pad pattern on his knee and his squad number is on the wrong pad!

Fu...dge! I'll sort that out and PM it to you.

Thanks, mate. :Troops: In the mean time, I'll stick to sorting out a few more for Perditia, and perhaps one for the Blazing Sons if you'd like... I mean you are techically part of the project.

That's great FM! I'll be sure to send you a pic of a WE marine :Troops:

Sounds like a plan. I think the Death Heads will be racing the Arctic Lions to the two ends of the Train, friendly competition of course.

And the Lions should 'win', imo. It would fit with their 'finish the job as quickly and brutaly as possible' style, and I think it would be fun to see the Death Heads' reaction to somebody matching their feracity, especially when it's the silent guys.

That's great FM! I'll be sure to send you a pic of a WE marine

I look forward to it, Grey!

And the Lions should 'win', imo. It would fit with their 'finish the job as quickly and brutaly as possible' style, and I think it would be fun to see the Death Heads' reaction to somebody matching their feracity, especially when it's the silent guys.

That would be rather interesting - but then I'm bias. :Troops:

Oh, and I updated the image in my post above.

Would it be cool to have four pads, one from each Chapter, lined up on some kind of altar in a dark room, with a single strong light source, displaying the symbols of each Chapter, as something to include in the booklet?

Would be good as a potential front cover, and on the note of the booklet I've started playing with formatting on word to see what I can do. Also, I thught that we could use the campaign badge (whatever we decide it to be) as a background image for each page - grey scaled of course.

This gives me the impression that this project is going to develop into a full .pdf. Am I correct in this assumption? (Sorry if I missed this blatantly obvious idea). If we are, indeed, putting this together into a .pdf, would it not facilitate at least a short description of each of the Chapters participating in this campaign?

It's called an Index Astartes, IA for short

Will these be included in the pdf?

Either way, we already have super mini introductions to each Chapter on the first page of the thread.

What I'm getting at is all these images that Ferrus Manus has been putting together would actually be useful in such a .pdf along with the brief explination on each of the Chapters involved.

What I'm getting at is all these images that Ferrus Manus has been putting together would actually be useful in such a .pdf along with the brief explination on each of the Chapters involved.

I see your point. It would be nice to not only have a general comment on the Chapter, but also a quick comment on the Strike Forces' Commander and perhaps reasons for why they are there (beyond the obvious).

would it not facilitate at least a short description of each of the Chapters participating in this campaign?

It's called an Index Astartes, IA for short :P .

:D Boy, am I ever going to be busy if the IA's are going to be in the .pdf.

Mine currently consists of an origins section that hasn't been updated (real life, why must you interfere so!) in quite some time. :P

I'm all for the briefer overview, since the Infinity Knights are really easy to summarize and a pain in the rear to detail. :P

EDIT: Excessive use of the same smiley face. Bad form there, Ace. :lol:

Well, when I first created the small descriptions/intros to the Chapters it was with the Badab pdf in mind. There each Chapter only have a small paragraph describing each Chapter, plus some extra stuff which directly relates to the Campaign. Below, I've set up an example of roughly how I envision each 'Chapter page'. Of course this is just my initial idea, and I have no idea of how you want it, King.

Note that I do however think it would be nice to add the IA's for each Chapter as an attachment, or bonus content at the end of the booklet for those who want to read more about them. Or at least include links to the IA's in the Librarium *Looks at Ace, then looks at the watch* :)

Death Heads

Death Head Marine
gallery_21935_2955_27428.jpg
Arrival: 705.M41

Founding: 9th

Gene-seed: Silver Skulls (Roboute Gulliman)

Homeworld: Klysium

The Death Heads are brash and headstrong fighters, throwing themselves at their enemies with unmatched ferocity, disregarding the risks of such tactics. They are known for collecting and displaying trophies, both to honor the Emperor and to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents. Their methods may be considered unorthodox or even heretical, but their loyalty is unquestionable.

-

-

- (A paragraph about this size, shortly describing things like why they are here, why they only brought what they did, who their top commanders are and their thoughts on the Campaign, where they fought the most, etc.)

-

-

-

(a small textbox detailing all Chapter Elements (companies, fleet assets, commander.)

EDIT:

And that's another great scheme, Ferrus! I have a personal vendetta against coloring soft armor anything other than black/dark grey, though. Have you ever seen a GW scheme with colored soft armor? I think there is a reason for it.

Other than that, like I said in my PM, it would be great if you could try to make metal parts more shiny.

Well, when I first created the small descriptions/intros to the Chapters it was with the Badab pdf in mind. There each Chapter only have a small paragraph describing each Chapter, plus some extra stuff which directly relates to the Campaign. Below, I've set up an example of roughly how I envision each 'Chapter page'. Of course this is just my initial idea, and I have no idea of how you want it, King.

Note that I do however think it would be nice to add the IA's for each Chapter as an attachment, or bonus content at the end of the booklet for those who want to read more about them. Or at least include links to the IA's in the Librarium *Looks at Ace, then looks at the watch* ;)

Real life burdens me very heavily right now...

The Emperor knows I want that IA completed as much as anyone, but I can't seem to find ten minutes to spare to even make a start. :(

EDIT:

And that's another great scheme, Ferrus! I have a personal vendetta against coloring soft armor anything other than black/dark grey, though. Have you ever seen a GW scheme with colored soft armor? I think there is a reason for it.

Other than that, like I said in my PM, it would be great if you could try to make metal parts more shiny.

Well, without wishing to create an argument, I'm every bit as outspoken against black or grey for soft armour. Every chapter has one of those two colours, so I'd argue they're overdone. :P

My real life marines (since I took up the painting again) all have dark-blue soft armour, and it looks really neat. Well, insofar as anything I put paintbrush too looks neat. :lol:

I present Brother Shurim, 6th Company, 1st Squad of the Infinity Knights:

;) That's cool! The cloth colour works quite well, and I'm digging the purity seals. It's like wearing a bunch of big 'The Emperor Approves' medals. :D

Top marks, Ferrus!

Glad you like it mate! Hopefully, you'll find MkII better.

At Grey's request I had a look at making the metallics, well more metallic-y. I finally found an effect I liked; so I present:

Battle-Brother Barboa, 3rd Company, 2nd Squad of the Death Heads:

gallery_21935_2955_35716.jpg

Battle-Brother Shurim, 6th Company, 1st Squad of the Infinity Knights:

gallery_21935_2955_35847.jpg

and, Battle-Brother Altio, 2nd Company, 1st Squad of the Warriors Eternal:

gallery_21935_2955_17281.jpg

++++++++++

I hope you like the effect, and Grey I left the WE fairly plain as I think their simpleness seems to outwardly show their want of mental fortitude. However, if you disagree, I'm more than happy to listen to suggestions.

Next up, an Arctic Lion <_< ...

EDIT: Battle-Brother Aruki, 3rd Company, 2nd Squad of the Arctic Lions:

gallery_21935_3241_121379.jpg

Listening to Far Too Much Music (particularly Metroid Prime music) has caused me to get some odd inspiration. What if one of the reasons the Eldar are meddling in the sector is to investigate some Eldar ruins on one of the moons? Such ruins would also be of considerable worth to the Ordo Xenos, as well as set an interesting stage for some fairly gruesome combat scenes for the Marines (particularly the Deathwatch Squad). Thoughts?

Also, awesome work on the paint schemes, Ferrus Manus!

If I remember rightly the entire purpose behind the Eldar meddling was the fact that they are trying to remove one of the last of the large (Titan/super heavy size) Warp Gates from potential Imperial discovery. Giving the Imperium that level of heavy access to the Webway would be disastrous after all.

At least, without checking back 20 pages that's what my memory is telling me.

Those marines look bloody great Ferrus!

As an aside, Ferrus, I would be greatly appreciative if you would attempt a Blazing Son too, but it's definitely not something you should hold as a priority above anything else you have going.

The thing is Dazzo has already offered to do up a new one because he lost the old one he made for me as well. Unfortunately I am now in the position of having two offers and if I choose one over the other I might offend someone. If Dazzo is not forthcoming may I get back to you Ferrus?

In any case I'm getting wildly off topic here.

I was originally voicing an Imperial Historian early on here, but I have an idea.....

Don't hold your breath for some tangible result, it's just an idea at this stage and I don't want to say more until I actually do something with it given my previous unreliability.

The thing is Dazzo has already offered to do up a new one because he lost the old one he made for me as well. Unfortunately I am now in the position of having two offers and if I choose one over the other I might offend someone. If Dazzo is not forthcoming may I get back to you Ferrus?

That's fine, mate. As it is, the next week and some is going to be a bit hectic; with exams and starting a new job.

Don't hold your breath for some tangible result, it's just an idea at this stage and I don't want to say more until I actually do something with it given my previous unreliability.

Tough. I'm holding my breath - you have a few minutes until I start going blue to produce these results :)

A question I feel compelled to ask, since my IE is having attacks of utter undiluted failure at the moment is how siginificant is the air war over the ACN?

Given that it is basically a floating city wouldn't a strong air force play a very large role in their defence? Moreover how did the Imperium gain the upper hand if orbital bombardment is out of the question? It seems a little like an expanded Battle of Britain, something the ACN could possibly keep up for a lot longer than expected.

I was inspired to write something from a bomber/fighter pilots perspective. The bomber pilot was my first choice given the relative lack of twitch-battle wouldn't have the objective observers eye the same way.

Archived