Perditia

Donkey Kong

If this is supposed to be a stand-alone booklet as well, we might very well have to include a few paragraphs describing who/what the Space Marines and Imperial Guard are (with probably a sentence at the end telling the reader to pick up the various Codexes for more information and whatnot). How much of the WH40K background are we assuming the reader has read? That's probably the kind of question we should be asking ourselves about this, if we're discussing things like introduction paragraphs.

As to the Full IA vs Partial IA, Personally, I think we should go half-way: Each Chapter presented should get its own dedicated page (so probably an image or three and probably 3-4 well-structured paragraphs), but nothing too extensive: Leave the full discussion for the actual IA articles in the librarium (promoting increased visits for the Librarium, etc, which is usually a good thing, as people like having their hard work seen by a lot of people). The Imperial Guard should have a full-page description as well (detailing what exactly the Imperial Guard is, how it functions, recruitment, etc), which half-page descriptions on the more notorious/famous/elite regiments participating in the campaign. The Eldar in question might also deserve a full-page description as well, not to mention the enemy forces that the Imperium is showing up to curb-stomp in the first place!

I'll leave the majority of those decisions to you layout-snazzy folks; I've never participated in an art-oriented/layout-oriented class in my life, so I'd only get in the way.

I know of a soul who might be able to assist you guys with some artwork over summer :)

I'm guessing you mean you? Please, don't keep me in suspense :P

No it's not me, it is my significant other :) (known as Viva La Jade on here) so just inform of what you need!

(I did keep you a little in suspense it seems, over a week and I didn't check back lol)

so just inform of what you need!

That's great, Reyner!

Could you possibly draw an Astartes or a Perditian Guardsman (page 3 for Inspiration) so we can see the art style?

Again, greatly appreciated!

In other news, I've been starting on the Campaign information, so expect something up this week.

Alrighty, I'll tell her.

*EDIT* She says she's not all that good at "concept" art so it will practically be like a photograph, usually portrait but she will attempt anything you ask of her. For example here's one she drew of her nephews a while back:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...6_1849553_n.jpg That's the quality she aims for :D (it's a photo of what she had drawn so when she does stuff for you guys I'll scan it and it will look schweet ;))

That's the quality she aims for (it's a photo of what she had drawn so when she does stuff for you guys I'll scan it and it will look schweet)

:lol:

That is brilliant work. Be sure to tell her we greatly appreciate this!

That is brilliant work. Be sure to tell her we greatly appreciate this!

Echo!

If I may make a suggestion, this level of realism could be used to maybe illustrate the Perditia rebels/inhabitants, and their emotions and reactions to what is going on. I think that can potentially make for some very dark and fitting visualizations of the conflict.

That's a bloody good idea Grey. She would be all over something like that, she is going to attempt a Marine in the coming days (personally I can't wait to see the result, I'm actually excited... namely because it'll be based on my own face so yeah...)

Looking forward to it Reyner!

I've already posted this in my WIP thread, but I thought I might post it here as well. I was thinking I could use this to make something akin to the 'four pads of Pardtitia', just as something to spruce up a page in the booklet. Thoughts?

gallery_22046_5057_34603.jpg

Is the yellow/orange acceptable, Ace? I may have muted it a bit more than it should be, but I think the gold on the aquila stands out a bit more like this.

Really awesome work, Grey Codex! I kinda like the look of it, but Ace might have a different opinion! :D

No, my opinion's basically the same, only in capitals. AWESOME! :devil:

Grey, at this rate, the booklet will have complete members of all four Chapters ready with armor :P !

If there's thee things I can say about the IK helmet:

1. The "mohawk" vent looks gold on the yellow/orange side.

2. The tubes look a little too textureless and thin.

3. The eye lenses look a little flat (no gleam/light).

Regardless, I'd like to echo Ace:

No, my opinion's basically the same, only in capitals. AWESOME!

Can't wait to see what your creativity will do with a Death Heads helmet :D !

1. The "mohawk" vent looks gold on the yellow/orange side.

I feel terrible for pointing this out, but the yellow/orange side shouldn't be yellow or orange. It's meant to be a light brown. :)

It's still a thousand times better than any computerized helmets I could run up, (if I even had the software to do so) so don't worry about changing it.

Oh man, I have to eat my own words now.

First of all, I mentioned that I had already posted this in my WIP thread. In that thread I also provided some extra information, which I should have just posted here as well to begin with:

I was testing the uv's of the helmet and found out that they were okay, so I decided to do some test textures to see how it would look in MAX.

This is the colors of the Infinity Knights, a DIY by Ace Debonair. Ace, myself and a couple of others are working on a campaign

Note that the ear pieces and eye lenses are not textured, just a single color, but you get the picture.

1. The main helmet was the main testing, while the mohawk was done kinda rushed, just to get the split scheme going all the way. Still, good catch, good eye!

2. The tubes are thin because they just can't be any bigger, even if I wanted them to be slightly thicker as well.

Don't know what to say about the texture. I mean they are textured, and they look like they're supposed to.

3: The eyes are flat because they aren't textured, but they're not glowing because the helmet isn't 'on'.

Secondly...

I've already posted this in my WIP thread, but I thought I might post it here as well. I was thinking I could use this to make something akin to the 'four pads of Pardtitia', just as something to spruce up a page in the booklet.

Reading this back, I can see how you might interpret this and I'm really sorry, but I won't be doing the other Chapters. This was just a test that I ended up using a bit more time on than was I initially going to.

I meant that I could use this image as artwork, in the same way as the four pads image is artwork for the booklet.

I'm sorry if you got your hopes up, but my goal is to finish this model and texture it for only one Chapter before school work starts again, plus other stuff that is not related either school or 40k.

@ Ace: Does that mean that the light side of the helmet, as it stands now, should be lighter? darker? more muted? less muted? Just let me know, because I think I could do some quick adjustments to the texture maps in photoshop.

Still, I would just like to repeat why I chose that color.

1. I used the SMP image of the IK's color scheme as a reference, so it's actually close to the color on your own image.

2. I may have muted it a bit more just so the gold would stand out a bit more.

Still, if the adjustments don't work out, or you don't mind, I think we can just write it of a artistic license, right?

@ Ace: Does that mean that the light side of the helmet, as it stands now, should be lighter? darker? more muted? less muted? Just let me know, because I think I could do some quick adjustments to the texture maps in photoshop.

Still, I would just like to repeat why I chose that color.

1. I used the SMP image of the IK's color scheme as a reference, so it's actually close to the color on your own image.

2. I may have muted it a bit more just so the gold would stand out a bit more.

Still, if the adjustments don't work out, or you don't mind, I think we can just write it of a artistic license, right?

Ok, comparing the two (your pic up there and the one in my IA), the muted-ness isn't the issue. The gold does stand out very nicely, I have to say. If you want to get the colour closer to the one I used, move the colour a bit more towards orange than yellow. :tu: EDIT: And possibly make it a wee bit lighter, although I don't know if that'd look as good. I'll bow to your opinion on that - long live artistic license! :rolleyes:

If that's too much hassle, or doesn't work out, then by all means leave it. It's close enough that I can still tell which chapter that hat belongs to! :eek

I've reuploaded it with some adjustments. They are minor, because I didn't want to upset the balance between the gold and the color, but they are there. You might not notice them though. But hey, artistic license!

That's even more awesome, Grey. :P Thanks for fixing that!

That's all the nit-picking you'll get from me, in any case. :D

Top stuff!

That helmet be lookin' rather spiffy thar lad!

Honestly I've never liked the idea that Astartes eyes glow like Anime-ish soldiers like the Deep Eyes from the Final Fantasy movie or the soldiers from Jin Roh. It makes them a little bit cheesy.

I always imagined them as being like the gold visors that Astronaut helmets possess to protect against the suns glare.

That helmet be lookin' rather spiffy thar lad!

What accent is that meant to be? :)

Honestly I've never liked the idea that Astartes eyes glow like Anime-ish soldiers like the Deep Eyes from the Final Fantasy movie or the soldiers from Jin Roh. It makes them a little bit cheesy.

I always imagined them as being like the gold visors that Astronaut helmets possess to protect against the suns glare.

I've never had a problem with the 'glowing-eyes' effect, personally, although I do prefer to think it's as a result of reflecting any available light (even really small amounts) rather than being battery powered or whatever.

One thing I always wondered is 'why?'. Why do the eyes glow? They are either one of two things: Cameras that relay what they see to the helmets user or lenses that the user can see through and may have images displayed on.

Camera lenses do not glow and with good reason. Lenses should be built to reflect any excess glare that is thrown the users way to allow him the maximum efficiency of use in whatever environment he is fighting in.

Lenses that reflect glare (especially strong solar glare as seen in space, not shielded by an atmosphere) typically can't be seen through from the outside either. Reflection I think works the best.

Anyway I am dragging this way, way off topic here.

OT: Great helm there Grey! Love it.

If I may make a suggestion, this level of realism could be used to maybe illustrate the Perditia rebels/inhabitants, and their emotions and reactions to what is going on. I think that can potentially make for some very dark and fitting visualizations of the conflict.

I love this idea. Also, to be a little bit conceited I would love to see the engineer from my little story drawn.

She would be all over something like that, she is going to attempt a Marine in the coming days (personally I can't wait to see the result, I'm actually excited... namely because it'll be based on my own face so yeah...)

I wish her luck! Power Armour is a real bastard (or so I have been told) to draw and get right given the dimensions of both the marines themselves and the armour relative to them. There are plenty of accomplished 40k artists deviantart if you want to take a look as well, though depending on her process it might be best not to. Just trying to help, badly. :)

My take is that it's mainly a lens, but it's lit up from the inside by a heads-up display with all kinds off information and sensory boosters. It won't have a super glow that lights up surrounding objects, but there is enough of a gleam that it gives some life to the marine.

Watch this trailer. At around 0:22 you'll see what I mean. The lenses aren't glowing, but when the helmet goes 'off' the lenses go almost completely dark.

I love this idea. Also, to be a little bit conceited I would love to see the engineer from my little story drawn.

I don't know what you think Ydalir, but the image I got when reading that story was of an older man, rough skin, short gray hair and beard, and tired eyes that have seen a lot.

Power Armour is a real bastard (or so I have been told) to draw and get right given the dimensions of both the marines themselves and the armour relative to them.

I think it was I who told you that, and it's true. I'm sure she can pull it off, though.

I agree with Grey, although why the lenses would go dark when the marine dies still confuses me, kind of like when you knock someone out when they're holding a flashlight, the light isn't going to turn off just because they're unconscious. I guess power armor being attached to the nervous system has something to do with it.

Also, remember how I've started typing some of the Campaign, I only have about a page down, but this is in columns, so it may be a little more. I told you all how I was trying to get an "Imperial Armour" feel, so this will hopefully demonstrate what I mean.

There should be quotes for each chapter, there will be more more chapters and sub headings (suggestions are welcome), many sections aren't complete (such as ones with individual paragraphs) overall, just tear through what I have so far. I'll be typing more tonight, but I'm running on fumes on the moment:

Chapter 1

Fuel for the Forge

Perditia's war was over. From the ashes of victory, come the cries of another.

Heresy

Perditia Tetrius had ended its war, nearly a decade of conflict with the Ork Waaagh that had terrorized their system. Recovery had been surprisingly quick, and within several year fractions of their victory, Perditia was back to pre-war production levels. Food stores from the world's moons, fuel from it's gaseous body and recruits for the adeptus and the guard from were in fresh supply. Protomangate, the Perditia system's neighboring forge world and the chief importer of its goods, expected these vital supplies. In Perditia's time of war, Protomangate had fallen back on fuel reserves and the limited resources from other worlds.

On the gas gaint's artificial surface, a new leader was coming to power. A coup, undertaken by the Lord General Militant Gior Ferze, overthrew the Governor Tasiz Aphal, the ruler by chance of birth who had abandoned the world during the last war. Disgusted with the quick return to the world's full tithe, Ferze's marked his reign with blood, cleansing the ranks of his guard and those loyal to the Emperor. The Adeptus Arbits' Court, the Schola Progenium Perditia and the churches of the Ecclesiarchy were burned with chemical fired under the hail of the giant's endless rain. On the world's moons, his Generals acted in kind.

Conflicts arose throughout the system, with hives swiftly declaring their loyalties, and Ferze's traitors conquering the agricultural colonies with ease. Within three year fractions, Ferze had taken Perditia Tetrius by storm. Ferze's secret allies blocked Perditia Tetrius away from the galaxy, preventing warp communications. Those who opposed him could do no more than weather the sieges against them.

Signs of Impending Conflict

Genetor Quris moved with a grace all his own, as alien to mortal men as the xenos that inhabited the farthest reaches of the Eastern Fringe. A half dozen mechandendrites moved with inhuman dexterity and finesse, clicking against the walls of the forge, observing the workings beneath the catwalk on which he paced. His mind raced, processing countless records. Observing the progress below, in accordance with the his logris' calculations, he began to access data. A small buzzing broke his trance. The buzzing grew louder, and louder, pushing his enhanced mind to its limits. He shut out the thunderous noise, the pain he had never felt since being accepted into the Adeptus Mechanicus, and returned to the logs of his beloved forge.

The records were showing a shortage of materials from Perditia, the forge's primary source of promethium. Months had passed since its expected arrival, no astropath had reported a message, no shipments were to be expected late, no news was given at all. The Generator knew that Perditia had recently won a war, and the forge had had to go on without Perditian fuel for those gruelingly slow years. However, Perditia's tithe had been restored, materials were needed to return to full capacity. Perditia's fuel was needed to return to any capacity at all. Protomangate forges had used reserves in absence of the tithe, and even they had begun to run dry. Quris' tapping penetrated his thoughs, and he realized how loud it was.

This could not be happening. Quris examined record after record, reading over the nearby star port's incoming and exiting vessels, vessels waiting in orbit and vessels believed to be in transit. Protomangate was to expect resources from Perditia twenty year fractions prior to this failure to meet the Imperium's needs. Surly they would have been informed had the vessel been lost to the warp. Messages must have been sent to Protomangate to tell of the tithe's departure. There was none. Perditia had not paid its tithe. This was betrayal, heresy. The Magos and Departmento Munitorium would be informed of this troubling event. Perditia would pay for their treachery. Quris tried to calm himself, everything would be alright. He hoped, and he felt that all too human anguish once again.

Quris blared cant at passing adepts, sending them throughout the force. One to the astropaths, another to the starport. Several were rushed to the Magos warning him. No doubt, he was interrupting other tech priests and adepts, but this took precedence. Perhaps other adepts had Quris was exhausted. His inhuman perfection, his modifications, bionics, everything to bring him closer to the machine god, was failing him. Quris was human once more, the political power he had attained in nearly a century of life dedicated to the forge had been worthless. The logistics were a nightmare, and he, in all his infinite wisdom, could not hope to accept this failing.

Arming the Forge

Magos Tartan had taken Quris' news with the cold attention he had given to everything else that affected his forge. He was meticulous, robotic, his mind had long risen above the emotions that troubled mortal men. His orders were made swiftly, his augmented mind assessing percentages and probabilities within seconds.

First Contact

Chapter X

Invasion

“They say no guardsman ever sees home again. I guess they were wrong.”

Bettan Ephar. Corporal, Second Army.

Mobilizing

Penitence

Recording

Chapter X

To the Torch

A Spark in the Darkness

Four imperial fleets departed Space Station Perditia Secundus. Invading the space around Perditia Tetrius, battleships moved into low orbit above the gas giant's outlying agricultural moons. In a chorus of fire, ordnance rained from the heavens, burning endless fields and civilians in one fell swoop. No Imperial boots touched ground, no guardsman fought traitorous kin, the orbital purge cleansed all. On the observation decks of the transport ships, Perditian guardsmen stood at attention before the burning moons. Commissars from across the sector stalked their ranks, summarily executing to any who gave signs of sympathy for the traitors below. With each passing moon, this cycle continued, scrounging the ranks of the Guardsmen.

Planetfall

Brother Verses Brother

Chapter X

Witchcraft

Kel'Altasar

Stalemate

Angels of Death

Chapter X

Space Supremacy

Blockade

Raid on Space Station Perditia Secundus

Hm. Awesome work, KingHongKong, but once you've rested and eaten, you might take another look at what you've managed to type up. A few of the sentences either don't really flow well together, or seem incomplete (as in, missing a few words, or seem disjointed). No worries, though, they're all minor, and it's definitely a really good read! :D

Funnily enough, the events of Perditia with the Deathwatch Kill Team, along with Fantasy Flight's new Deathwatch game, have given me a sort of inspiration to run a Deathwatch game. Hmmm...

At any rate, really awesome stuff!

Archived