Iron Snakes Battleforce WIP

It's pictures like these of well planed beautiful armies that make me want to build yet another WIP army... damn you and your awesome armies!

Thanks man, glad you like them! I've not done much painting on them for a bit but I intend to put a bit more effort into them now.

Hi,

very good and clan work! Congratulations :D . You are surely inspired by the novel "Iron Snakes" by blacklibrary, isn´t it?

Yeah the army is inspired by the novel, I know it's not everyone's favourite BL book but I love the character that Dan brought into the chapter.

Looks good well done ;) . Great looking army so far btw :D .

Thanks! :D

personally I htink they are a little too bright...it may just be the flash mind.

what are you painting them with?

They are quite clean models in the flesh, I've just checked and none of the photos use flash, so they are obviously very shiny! I'm painting them with Chainmail, washing with Badab Black and then highlighting up with more Chainmail then a final edge highlight of Mithril Silver. Though the Sternguard have only been basecoated so far, hence they are really bright.

Sure, I'll have a go tonight. Sadly it's got really dark in the UK and I took this using my phone. Hopefully by tonight the GS will have cured on the shoulder pads I've made for it as well. It's basically the Cadian Command Squad heavy flamer with a melta bomb attached to the bottom.

yeah. I prefer the look of the darker iron snakes...like the one on the cover of the iron snakes novel

that being said your models are still well painted. its just personally choice over colour.

keep it up. there isn't enough love for the iron snakes, its nice to see someone giving them a shout =]

yeah. I prefer the look of the darker iron snakes...like the one on the cover of the iron snakes novel

that being said your models are still well painted. its just personally choice over colour.

keep it up. there isn't enough love for the iron snakes, its nice to see someone giving them a shout =]

You're right the artwork is quite dark but I'm happy with how they look a bit brighter. I think mine are polished up for parade! :(

I've not seen many people with Iron Snakes armies and even stranger it seems like not many people at my lgs have read the book either. Everytime I say 'they're Iron Snakes' all I get is a blank stare. Maybe I should start calling them Ultrasnakes and they might get more attention! ;)

Great Work on your Iron Snakes, your free hand is amazing! I only wish my free hand skills were better when I started my Snakes army, so now I'm redoing a lot of work. Also what colors did you use for the red, and gold are they citadel colors? I use testers dark red, and gold on mine, but I hate that they are oil based paints and would like a good counterpart of water based. Roughly how many points of Snakes are you making?

Great Work on your Iron Snakes, your free hand is amazing! I only wish my free hand skills were better when I started my Snakes army, so now I'm redoing a lot of work. Also what colors did you use for the red, and gold are they citadel colors? I use testers dark red, and gold on mine, but I hate that they are oil based paints and would like a good counterpart of water based. Roughly how many points of Snakes are you making?

Thanks man, though my freehand isn't actually very good, I've just come up with an easy way to do the chapter symbol. (Tutorial Link)

The paints are all Citadel paints, the red is Mechrite Red and the gold is Shining Gold.

Would love to see some pics of your Snakes and also welcome to the B&C.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheeky update, since the launch of the Forgeworld Mk3 armour suits I've finally found a suitable shoulder pad to use for this classic OOP Veteran model. Still needs a bit of work, but what do you guys think?

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0390/DSC00354.jpghttp://b.imagehost.org/t/0364/DSC00353.jpg

Bit of an experiment, what do you guys think about this approach to purity seals?

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0505/DSC00384.jpg

Also, picked up another bargain for my Sternguard, vet with TWO combi-weapons for the princely sum of £4!!

http://d.imagehost.org/t/0317/DSC00381.jpg

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for all the input on the seals, glad to see that generally the idea is acceptable. I will be washing over the models with Badab Black and Devlan Mud, so that will darken the colours down a touch.

Hopefully I should have the basecoats on the Sternguard done soon and we'll be able to get onto the exciting stuff like washes & highlights!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the threadomancy, but I've made a new year's resolution to get the Iron Snakes back up and running. In order to motivate myself I've joined the Librarium Painting Challenge and committed to finishing by the end of March:

1 x Assault Squad

1 x Ironclad Dreadnought

1 x Terminator Squad

Right now the Ironclad is built, the Assault marines are being constructed and I'm waiting on the Terminators in the post. I've also built all the marines to round out my second Tactical squad.

My apologies for the slow progress recently, but my Skaven army has taken a lot of priority since IOB came out.

Any suggestions on best loadout for the Assault Squad would be appreciated, I'm thinking Powerfist and Meltagun, but all input appreciated before I actually build the minis.

Archived