Iron Snakes Battleforce WIP

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone suggest a way to resize these images a bit smaller? I generally prefer to drop thumbnails rather than fill the thread with big pictures.

As in to crop the image and it stays cropped or as in crop the image and then you click on it and it comes up bigger?

Ludovic

As in to crop the image and it stays cropped or as in crop the image and then you click on it and it comes up bigger?

Ludovic

Well I used to use a site called Imagehost which has now gone bust, which gave me forum code for thumbnailed versions. Now I can't do that the images are massive as per above. I'd prefer them not to be bigger than a few hundred pixels.

Cheers guys, I think I need to try and do something to smooth out the transition between the extreme highlights and some of the lower tones.

I'm not sure whether a glaze or something might help with this?

For the record I'm so glad that most of my marines are metallic!! :D

Cheers guys, I think I need to try and do something to smooth out the transition between the extreme highlights and some of the lower tones.

Nail on the head right there. That's really the next step for smooth transitions without going to wet blending or adding extra steps in the highlighting process - either of which can work spectacularly well but both of which will take a considerable investment in time/effort. Glazes are simple, thin out a blue wash, ink or one of your mid-tones colours to a translucent, barely blue colour and apply to the areas you want to smooth out. Repeat until satisfied.

You can achieve a whole variety of different effects by altering the colour, intensity and other elements of the glaze. Glowing effects for example can be achieved with glazes as can shading and highlighting entire models if you really want :D

Nail on the head right there. That's really the next step for smooth transitions without going to wet blending or adding extra steps in the highlighting process - either of which can work spectacularly well but both of which will take a considerable investment in time/effort. Glazes are simple, thin out a blue wash, ink or one of your mid-tones colours to a translucent, barely blue colour and apply to the areas you want to smooth out. Repeat until satisfied.

You can achieve a whole variety of different effects by altering the colour, intensity and other elements of the glaze. Glowing effects for example can be achieved with glazes as can shading and highlighting entire models if you really want B)

Brilliant, thanks for that, I'll have a go with a very thin glaze of regal blue and see how it comes out. ^_^

I love that someone is playing the Iron Snakes and I love the detailed work you are putting into converting and painting them! Looks great and you really seem to be enjoying the whole process!

I'm slightly jealous but thats good, maybe it will motivate me more!

I love that someone is playing the Iron Snakes and I love the detailed work you are putting into converting and painting them! Looks great and you really seem to be enjoying the whole process!

I'm slightly jealous but thats good, maybe it will motivate me more!

Mate, not half as jealous as I'm going to be when FW bring out a load of sexy bits for the Carcharodons!

Glad you like the army, I chose them because I loved the book and also the metallic scheme is pretty simple (for a PA army) to paint. As per my Librarian picture above, I really don't like highlighting PA!!

Non-LPC Update! Any hints for improving my edge highlights?

http://img40.picoodle.com/s52f/grpn_5ee_u0.jpg

Make sure your paint is very thin as has been said above. When you pick some paint up with your brush try to get the excess off of it (the brush) as well. I usually run the brush across my thumb a couple of times before I put it to the model. Then almost like a dry brush but more precise, you paint perpendicular to the ridge you want to highlight. You might want to make sure you also have a darker or your base color mixed up and to the side to clean up any edge highlights that don't quite hit just the edge. In my opinion the transition from darker to lighter is just as if not more important than the edge highlights themselves. Glazing is a really good method as well for getting those transitions. Painting the highlights first is another good way to get crisp lines. Keep those brush strokes uniform and that will go a long way to getting good results as well. Hope that helped.

Another cheeky non-LPC update, decided to do some more work on my Chaplain, finished his shoulder pads and chapter badge, also painted his purity seals blue. Just a bit more washing to do and his base needs tidying up, but then he should be finished!

http://img40.picoodle.com/s52g/grpn_6a9_u0.jpghttp://img40.picoodle.com/s52g/grpn_4b8_u0.jpg

Make sure your paint is very thin as has been said above. When you pick some paint up with your brush try to get the excess off of it (the brush) as well. I usually run the brush across my thumb a couple of times before I put it to the model. Then almost like a dry brush but more precise, you paint perpendicular to the ridge you want to highlight. You might want to make sure you also have a darker or your base color mixed up and to the side to clean up any edge highlights that don't quite hit just the edge. In my opinion the transition from darker to lighter is just as if not more important than the edge highlights themselves. Glazing is a really good method as well for getting those transitions. Painting the highlights first is another good way to get crisp lines. Keep those brush strokes uniform and that will go a long way to getting good results as well. Hope that helped.

Thanks very much for the advice, just checked out your BA, they're superb! Are you just glazing up from a white undercoat to get that blended/diffuse effect?

Can anyone suggest a way to resize these images a bit smaller? I generally prefer to drop thumbnails rather than fill the thread with big pictures.

Ludovic

In relation to your questions about photo/digital image work have you seen this bit of software??

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

I use it to crop my images so as to remove blank space from the edges and also to reduce the file size of an image, there is an option to set the width and height of your image in pixles and the best thing is its public domain so completely free to upload! Its like the poor mans photoshop but works fine for the rather limited use I give it.

Haha, yeah I know GIMP well. I didn't phrase my question well enough, basically I was looking for a hosting solution which would give me BB Code to post thumbnails that click through to enlarged images.. In the end I found Picoodle. A bit of a weighty site in terms of ads, but it ticks the boxes!

Thanks very much for the advice, just checked out your BA, they're superb! Are you just glazing up from a white undercoat to get that blended/diffuse effect?

White or gray, depends on what I have on hand. I like using white more though on account of the end colors being brighter, but gray is just as good. When I glaze I usually start with the brightest color and then work down from there.

The following picture I started with white primer. Then I do about 5-10 glazes with dwarf flesh. From there you just work your way down until you get to the darkest red you want. I like my Bloods a bit darker so it all ends at the awesomely named "scab red". You could stop earlier, it's all up to what color you want. I used a bunch of sepia wash and even some purple wash in there as well. I think I did the purple was once I glazed it enough to look red. I am sure I posted a step by step of how I did these guys but I can't seem to find it. Basically I was trying to ape the fine work of Lunchbox. Check his stuff out, its pretty sic.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii292/MrBlonde567/DSC01567.jpg

The latest guys I have been using a different technique. It's more of the traditional way to do it Where I start dark and work my way up to the bright. I like it because it's a bit faster. I still use a white base/primer and the basecoat is a bit thicker. With the glaze method it takes awhile before the color starts showing up. The guy below was painted using the more traditional technique. I think the glazing gives me personally a smoother result and I will go back to it again but I really like this way as well. It's a toss up really, I think both ways give good results.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2915/dsc02695nj.jpg

I haven't tried doing red over black primed marines in ages but I know that works as well. There was a guy on here a couple of years back by the name of Picster. He had really good results going up from a black base. I guess it depends on how bright you want your blue to be. I personally would use a white primer and just glaze down. Sometimes if you through some funky colors into the mix it will help create a more "complex" color if that makes any sense. Chuck a couple of green glazes in with the blue and see what happens. Man I ramble sometimes. Hope that helps!

Awesome news, I've just commissioned the sculpting god that is Sioka to produce some torso sculpts for my Iron Snakes.

If you're not familiar with his work, check out this thread where he is sculpting up a True-Scale space marine.

I'll hopefully receive his first design sketches on Wednesday. I'm very excited!! ;)

LPC Update:

http://img37.picoodle.com/s534/grpn_e81_u0.jpghttp://img37.picoodle.com/s534/grpn_2bd_u0.jpghttp://img37.picoodle.com/s534/grpn_1d8_u0.jpg

Also started doing the fleshtones on my Librarian, need to work out how to do OSL for his eyes, any suggestions/links?

http://img37.picoodle.com/s534/grpn_c43_u0.jpg

I think your snakes would really benefit from a Badab Black wash, it'll make them pop a lot more.

That and you missed a mold line on the shoulder shield for the normal termie pictured. :P

Archived