Come fellow Word Bearers

LorgarXVII17

I've never liked Kor Phaeron since I first read about him in the Index Astartes article on the Word Bearers. Already back then he struck me as a manipulative bastard with his own agenda. Erebus I'm not too fond of either but its more of a love to hate relationship as I admire his hand throughout the fall of Horus Lupercal (who unlike Lorgar does not seem a complete tool). The First Heretic just reinforced that dislike but I wasn't prepared for coming out at the end of it and feeling Lorgar was a most pathetic excuse for a Primarch. That really dumbstruck me.

But Word Bearers it is! :wallbash:

I had always imagined Lorgar as being much more of an conspirator on the Heresy, or even more of a player in it. As of now it really looks like Kor Pharon and Erebus are the most responsible, and many times more involved than Lorgar.

I used to like Erebus a bit, but not really any longer. I hope painful deaths on them all in the 41rst millennium!

Hello

Im glad to see so many Bearers of the Word here. Thaks You I found a lot of interesting informations about my favourite legion. I read wh40k novels -my best are all Anthony Reynolds books of XVII legion (hope he will continue this great story). What is more I also play Operation Flashpoint game with great WH40k mod -I create scenarions and a lot of them are connected with warriors of Lorgar.

Personally Im really interested in any info about loyal and pre-heresy Word Bearers.. last novel 'The first heretic' was very usefull to me, but Im still looking for other sources..

In 'Tales of heresy' I read about captain Sor Talgron -maybe someone know what happend with him.. or maybe are there any info about loyal survivors..

Im attempting to create a short data about them, with their story, battles, etc

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/79998929.jpg/

In 'Tales of heresy' I read about captain Sor Talgron -maybe someone know what happend with him.. or maybe are there any info about loyal survivors..

Apart from the two Horus Heresy books, Battle for the Abyss and The First Heretic and a few books from the Black Library about the Word Bearers (that I have not read), the only other piece of material I know of is the Index Astartes article on them, which can be found in Index Astartes IV or in WD 270 (UK version).

I really enjoyed the bit in Tales of Heresy and that was the kind of Lorgar I was hoping to see in The First Heretic. Whatever happened to Sor Talgron I don't know.

Pre-Heresy and pre-reprimand Word Bearers are definetly my favourites amongst the Space Marines. Normally I'm not too much of the 'evil dude' when it comes to armies I choose (having played Dwarfs, Empire, Imperial Guard and Blood Angels) but even after having gone Chaos I do enjoy the Bearers of the Word, although I struggle a bit to pin point just exactly how much my own host is loyal to the Gods of Chaos.

although I struggle a bit to pin point just exactly how much my own host is loyal to the Gods of Chaos.

The correct answer, of course, is all of them. :RTBBB:

Grates nunc omnes reddamus! Annuit Coeptis! - Battle Litany of the 6th Great Host XVII Legion, formerly the Chapter of the Illuminated Pyramid

although I struggle a bit to pin point just exactly how much my own host is loyal to the Gods of Chaos.

The correct answer, of course, is all of them. :D

Grates nunc omnes reddamus! Annuit Coeptis! - Battle Litany of the 6th Great Host XVII Legion, formerly the Chapter of the Illuminated Pyramid

All of them or none of them, one of those is definetly the answer.

I've never much fancied one God over the other and so neither has my Dark Apostle. Rather he believes it is only the pawns of the big game who enslave themselves to the worship of a single god. Only the strong can refuse to bow to one God. All that coupled with strong belief in the superiority of Man over Daemon.

http://weopenthewayforourbrothers.ytmnd.com/

Heed the Word! This sound clip gives me goosebumps from the sheer awesomeness...oh Word Bearers, why are you so ridiculously cool? :teehee:

Whenever I go to begin my Dark Eldar, I buy more Chaos stuff. Truly, the Word has enveloped me completely.

http://weopenthewayforourbrothers.ytmnd.com/

Heed the Word! This sound clip gives me goosebumps from the sheer awesomeness...oh Word Bearers, why are you so ridiculously cool? ;)

Whenever I go to begin my Dark Eldar, I buy more Chaos stuff. Truly, the Word has enveloped me completely.

That is so hot. I want that as an mp3 in my iPod.

I had always imagined Lorgar as being much more of an conspirator on the Heresy, or even more of a player in it. As of now it really looks like Kor Pharon and Erebus are the most responsible, and many times more involved than Lorgar.

I used to like Erebus a bit, but not really any longer. I hope painful deaths on them all in the 41rst millennium!

What is there NOT to love about Erebus as he is described in the HH-novels!? Everytime he shows up, something wonderful is happening. He is one of the evil masterminds in the great plot, and for a word bearers player, what could be seen as better?

I also agree with BrotherMoses that it's nice to see a primarch of a different kind.

Contrary to the vast majority of people, I also like Erebus. He is the instigator, the devious manipulator behind it all. I would like to find out what his true motives are, besides accumulating power and shattering the might of the Imperium.

On a side note, I acquired the White Dwarf which features the Word Bearers Index Astartes today. I haven't read it until now but it looks awesome.

What is there NOT to love about Erebus as he is described in the HH-novels!? Everytime he shows up, something wonderful is happening. He is one of the evil masterminds in the great plot, and for a word bearers player, what could be seen as better?

I also agree with BrotherMoses that it's nice to see a primarch of a different kind.

He is too dishonorable for my tastes. That's what is not to love about him.

Personally I belive than the greatest manipulator is Kor Phaeron, in cause of his actions Erebus became the most significant tool -joined Horus to turn him against the Emperor. Anyway after HH, when Erebus is the most powerfull in the legion, Kor Phaeron 'The Keeper of Faith' once more attemped to purge the Legion and kick off Erebus, but the first chaplain was too strong and too smart..

Pre-heresy Word Bearers

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/79998929.jpg/

He is too dishonorable for my tastes. That's what is not to love about him.

So the "eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods" ain't the problem then? A guy walks around in the future and lies to his seem-to-be best friends. Horrible!

Actually yes. That is exactly the problem.

Out of all the Chaos Primarchs the one one I would say I have outright respect for would be Angron. I don't like Angron, but Angron didn't dress anything up, Angron didn't really go and deceive people. He was a blood thirsty maniac, and wanted to kill a lot of people.

At least he was honest about it from the start.

Well, I've been using them, but as stated elsewhere they are my fiancee's army. She chose them for a variety of reasons...I'll let her post them. I've been painting them though, because it's fun. Here are some pictures!

[...]

Defiler

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/My%20Best%20Models/100_3853.jpg

!

My defiler is ready for pre-final-assembly painting to start, and I've looked a few times for decent reference photos to help with that. Best by far! I actually feel good about tackling that thing now.

re: colour scheme

IMO, eyes look great painted with a uv-reactive paint... I like flourescent green :P They have a really high light value, above what your brain expects for the ambient light level, so they seem unnaturally bright/glowful (like highlighter pens). And also, if you have a blacklight you can do this.

gallery_55880_5095_219426.jpg

Oh, I don't know. There were some subtle hints throughout the novel that Lorgar knew what he was doing, and was manipulating events to lead exactly where they did, while never getting his hands dirty. The Lorgar we see on Istavaan has a distinctly different vibe from the one we see during the journey to the Eye and its aftermath. I've got a few ideas on why this might be, but they get a little spoilery, so I'll just say that I'm not exactly sure who's pulling the wool over whose eyes by the end.

(though since A D-B lurks these unhallowed halls, he's welcome to put the kibosh on this speculation,

-style. :lol:)

Oh, I don't know. There were some subtle hints throughout the novel that Lorgar knew what he was doing, and was manipulating events to lead exactly where they did, while never getting his hands dirty. The Lorgar we see on Istavaan has a distinctly different vibe from the one we see during the journey to the Eye and its aftermath. I've got a few ideas on why this might be, but they get a little spoilery, so I'll just say that I'm not exactly sure who's pulling the wool over whose eyes by the end.

(though since A D-B lurks these unhallowed halls, he's welcome to put the kibosh on this speculation,

-style. :D)

I feel the same way. A being of such intellect as Lorgar could not possibly just follow the suggestions of a far less powerful old man (Kor Phaeron) and his pal (Erebus). He might be influenced by his closest advisors, but he still has to make the conscious decision to rebel. While Erebus is one of my favourite characters, I think most people give him too much credit.

Of course, were A D-B to shed some light on the subject...

Re: Sor Talgron's eventual fate: there is a pretty good possibility that

he is seen in M41 as the Warmonger, the semi-lucid Word Bearers dreadnaught in Marduk's (formerly Jarulek's) Host

. At least this was my reading of the stories, and the mention of

Kol Badar

in "Scions of the Storm" as being one of the sergeants in Sor Talgron's host.

As far as Lorgar, I see him as an ultimately Quixotic figure based on "The First Heretic", and, perhaps, more human than the rest of the Primarchs. The impression I got out of him was that Lorgar is seeing himself as a chosen one for humanity's spiritual salvation (while he sees his brothers as being the blunt instruments of its temporal salvation). As every single one of his peers and his father/creator tend to give him negative feedback and tell him how much of a failure he is, it is little wonder that he would become more susceptable to the only voices that do tell him of his righteousness. He finds acceptance with Kor Phaeron that he does not find anywhere else, not even in the sole Primarch he considers somewhat of a friend (Magnus). And when even Magnus is shown to have less in common with Lorgar than Lorgar originally hoped for, he begins to follow a very solitary path.

Ultimately it seems that Lorgar sees himself as one of a kind, and the confrontation with Magnus only reinforces that belief. He is an intense character that truly has no peers - the other Primarchs are nothing like him; his creator, father, and god has proven himself to be a false deity (in Lorgar's eyes, at least); even his closest spiritual advisor (whom Lorgar treats as a father figure, and even calls him that) is not even remotely his equal. There is a sense of splendid isolation about Lorgar that, to me, makes him an incredibly sympathetic figure - his struggles are not struggles of a warrior (which many of us cannot possibly relate to) but struggles of an intellectual on a quest for self-realization (which, I suspect, will be much closer to many of the older BL readers/40K players hearts). Consequently, "The First Heretic" and its description of the Word Bearers Primarch and Legion was what made me decide on making the Word Bearers my Chaos army.

Hark fellow brothers of the true word! I bring tidings of the XXVth Host of the anointed holy lord of Lorgar! *fires bolter and waves crozius*

Hey guys and gals! Saw this thread a long time ago and finally have an excuse to join in. I've been a HUGE fan of the Word Bearers from the day I touched the 2nd edition Codex all those years ago. I've been planning to start a WB army since then and have finally taken the leap (12 years later) and began my Host, which will be my main focus from now on. :P I plan on making the army a very large host; a couple hundred marines strong (maybe more) with as many daemonic engines I can make, backed by a traitor guard "cultist" army led by a Straken/Coryphaus AND a daemon army. I have this thing where I try to kill two (or three in this case) birds with one stone, meaning I start one army and expand the fluff to encompass two others, I know I'm crazy. For now I've begun my Host with five marines and a First Acolyte/Coryphaus in TDA. I'm a huge fan of "gothic" style armour and I beleive it fits the Word Bearers very well.

gallery_57364_5841_404719.jpg

And I just "finished" the First Acolyte Lemuel. The pic is a bit dark and I should have a better lighter pic on my W.I.P. soon.

gallery_57364_5841_793380.jpg

So there's the Host so far. I'll keep updates here and there and if your at all interested I have a link to my W.I.P. blog in my signature. Farewell brothers.

Mr.Malevolent

he is seen in M41 as the Warmonger, the semi-lucid Word Bearers dreadnaught in Marduk's (formerly Jarulek's) Host

Kol Badar

I can't believe I missed that ^_^

That would certainly be interesting... Although A-D-B would have to confirm, I certainly see this as pretty viable.

Kol Badar

I can't believe I missed that :D

That would certainly be interesting... Although A-D-B would have to confirm, I certainly see this as pretty viable.

The only thing I see as going against it is that Sor Talgron is not a

Chaplain, which I thought was a requirement to be a Dark Apostle, and the Warmonger was specifically stated to have been the Host's Dark Apostle during the Battle of Terra

. But then, I might be wrong on that. Another thing, the stories in question were done by Anthony Reynolds (both the 40K Word Bearers trilogy, and, IIRC, the story in "Tales of Heresy"), so I don't know if this was intended, or if it would even be relevant to A D-B's Word Bearers tale (which does not appear to include Sor Talgron in any significant capacity this far). That said, there is a fairly strong case for Sor Talgron's eventual fate, although, like many things in 40K-verse, it may remain ultimately hinted at but never stated outright.

to me word beares are more theatrical, the Ultramarines chaos equivilent :D

I thought that was the Black Legion? ;)

And besides, we all know that the Ultramarines are really Alpha Legion in disguise... ;) :lol:

Archived