New fluff for Sanguinius and the Blood Angels

Julius Firefocht

I had my chance to read our new Codex, and it fills my heart with pride to know that justice was done to our great Primarch. Here are some of the new fluff for the Blood Angels and Sanguinius.

- Sanguinius and the Blood Angels Legion served as the Emperor's own Honour Guard, fighting at the Emperor's side during the Great Crusade.

- Even Horus sensed a purity of spirit within Sanguinius that he could never match. True to the Horus Heresy books, Sanguinius has indeed inherited the soul of the Emperor.

- Sanguinius took over Horus' position as commander-in-chief of all loyal Imperial forces after Horus' betrayal. Not Guilliman, not Dorn, but Sanguinius.

- During the Heresy, the Blood Angels fought across the Imperium in the bloodiest battles, clashing numerous times with the World Eaters Legion.

- Horus hated and feared Sanguinius more than any other loyal Primarchs. :woot:

- The Blood Angels led the defense of the Emperor's Palace.

- The Emperor could never have bested Horus had not the blade of Sanguinius wrought a chink in the Warmaster's armor.

Other points of note:

- No one knows why or how the Blood Angels Chapter has access to enough Land Raiders to serve as line transports.

- There are 21 Sanguinary Priests and 29 Sanguinary Guard in the entire Chapter.

- We have a total of 43(!) Land Raiders and 51(!!) Stormraven Gunships. In fact, we have more Land Raiders than we have Predators and Baal Predators combined!

- The Blood Angels see the entire Imperium of Mankind as their responsibility, rather than just a single star system. That means the Chapter is frequently spread thinly, which somewhat explains the high attrition rates of the Chapter.

- Dante sent 3 Companies of Blood Angels to assist Calgar in moping up the eastern sector of Ultramar, during the Tyranid invasion of that sector.

- 41 Dreadnoughts successfully defended the Fortress Monastery on Baal when some random Orks foolishly tried to invade the planet with 3 Space Hulks.

- Seth's first act as Chapter Master was to repair relationships between the Flesh Tearers and the Blood Angels. The man earned my respect for being an enlightened leader.

- The Sanguinary Guard and the Grey Knights join forces to kick the Bloodthirster Ka'Bandah's butt back into the warp. Sounds like an epic battle that is just begging to be reenacted on the tabletop!

- Remember the Necron World Engine battle detailed in Codex Space Marines? It is the Blood Angels who first suggested setting a permanent shrine to the Astral Knights on the planet of Safehold.

- 2nd Battle of Armageddon. It is confirmed in the Codex that Tu'Shan of the Salamanders and Calgar of the Ultramarines tell Dante "Yes, you are in fact the boss of us." Glorious victory.

- Mephiston is uber-superhuman. In a Nid invasion, he tears a Carnifex apart with his bare hands, holds the entrance to a strategic objective alone against Nid hordes for 6 hours, and then strolls through the Nid army to kill the Hive Tyrant and his bodyguard before deciding to take a break after being attacked by a Trygon. Pure insanity.

- In the current timeline, Baal is under imminent invasion from a tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan and the daemonic hordes of Bloodthirster Ka'Bandah. Dante gathers all Blood Angels forces back to Baal and issues a call to all Blood Angels successors chapters for assistance. All successor chapters except the Lamentors responded, and it is said that this could be the final battle of the Sons of Sanguinius.

That's all I can recall for now. Seriously, this Codex is everything we wished for, and more. All hail the Blood Angels and Sanguinius!

- Mephiston is uber-superhuman. In a Nid invasion, he tears a Carnifex apart with his bare hands, holds the entrance to a strategic objective alone against Nid hordes for 6 hours, and then strolls through the Nid army to kill the Hive Tyrant and his bodyguard before deciding to take a break after being attacked by a Trygon. Pure insanity.

Mephiston SMAAAASH!

I'm liking that Ward is admitting that Calgar isn't the end-all-be-all of the Space Marines; Dante is.

- In the current timeline, Baal is under imminent invasion from a tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan and the daemonic hordes of Bloodthirster Ka'Bandah. Dante gathers all Blood Angels forces back to Baal and issues a call to all Blood Angels successors chapters for assistance. All successor chapters except the Lamentors responded, and it is said that this could be the final battle of the Sons of Sanguinius.

What's that? Daemonic invasion of Baal? In other words, a fluff-reason to take allied Grey Knight Terminators in my Flesh Tearers army? Why, thank you very much, I would like some of that. With a side of ranch dressing, if you please.

So does this mean I should model my bases to look like they're on Baal, then? I knew the FT homeworld was a death-jungle, so I was going to try some different bases to reflect that.

That should do it, unless you plan to fight on other planets besides Baal. :)

- Sanguinius and the Blood Angels Legion served as the Emperor's own Honour Guard, fighting at the Emperor's side during the Great Crusade.

This is a nice upgrade, though it must have been doubly troubling for the Blood Angels when The Emperor and Imperial Fists retreated to Terra in the last days of the Crusade - unless Sanguinius knew already (through his farsight or being in the Emperor's confidence anyway)?

- Sanguinius took over Horus' position as commander-in-chief of all loyal Imperial forces after Horus' betrayal. Not Guilliman, not Dorn, but Sanguinius.

Sanguinius was the only loyalist Primarch in the Palace at the start of the Siege of the Terra, iirc. Dorn arrived just when the battle had started, while Khan was loitering around in the grounds somewhere.

- During the Heresy, the Blood Angels fought across the Imperium in the bloodiest battles, clashing numerous times with the World Eaters Legion.

Blood Angels + World Eaters = Blood. Who'd have known? :)

- The Blood Angels led the defense of the Emperor's Palace.

- The Emperor could never have bested Horus had not the blade of Sanguinius wrought a chink in the Warmaster's armor.

These we knew from the original Bill King story, but it's certainly nice to see they've not retconned it away.

Yes the Blood Angels and the Grey Knights do seem to be mentioned as best buds a couple of times in the fluff......dammit now I need to by some GK Termies!

I think there are some rumours floating about that indicate that GK are coming along with new Daemonhunters. Codex and models. If so, sneaky to squeeze them in already with the BA to get hobbyists drooling beforehand. :)

Yes the Blood Angels and the Grey Knights do seem to be mentioned as best buds a couple of times in the fluff......dammit now I need to by some GK Termies!

That sounds interesting. Got any other examples to share?

sounds like some mostly good stuff. I'm curious if the Angels Vermillion answered Dante's call as it says in their fluff that they avoid contact with other BA chapters. Though to defend Baal is a good reason to return.

I think there are some rumours floating about that indicate that GK are coming along with new Daemonhunters. Codex and models. If so, sneaky to squeeze them in already with the BA to get hobbyists drooling beforehand. :(

It could also suggest why we don't have the stormraven yet because if we have close ties then C:DH might get it too and it will be released with there codex. I now have to paint my GK just for the fluff.

well if the Blood Angels sent a good amount of aid to Ultramar when it was in danger of tyranid invasion, i should hope the Ultramines return the favour now that Baal is on the brink. Also does anyone know roughly how many Blood Angel Successor's there are? I was always under the impression there were a lot, cause if they have like 30+ chapters coming to help, along with Grey Knights and other imperial aid, i wouldn't be surprised if they could absolutely whoop a hive fleet and daemon force.

well if the Blood Angels sent a good amount of aid to Ultramar when it was in danger of tyranid invasion, i should hope the Ultramines return the favour now that Baal is on the brink. Also does anyone know roughly how many Blood Angel Successor's there are? I was always under the impression there were a lot, cause if they have like 30+ chapters coming to help, along with Grey Knights and other imperial aid, i wouldn't be surprised if they could absolutely whoop a hive fleet and daemon force.

There is no exact number of successors. Thats left open so poeple can make DIY successors. There have been like 38 foundings or something like that I believe.

I have to say I seem to like this fluff. Excellent stuff.

There is no exact number of successors. Thats left open so poeple can make DIY successors. There have been like 38 foundings or something like that I believe.

I have to say I seem to like this fluff. Excellent stuff.

There have been 26 foundings so far.

The number of second founding chapters is set. The rest is open to players to create.

Need I mention that a MASSIVE mobilization of Successor Chapters is an awesome undertaking into itself, probably on the scale of a large-scale crusade? Even if, say, each Chapter just sends two Battle Companies, well, that's a LOT of Sons of Sanguinus in one place.

Too bad that the Lamenters are, yet again, not part of the party.

sounds like some mostly good stuff. I'm curious if the Angels Vermillion answered Dante's call as it says in their fluff that they avoid contact with other BA chapters. Though to defend Baal is a good reason to return.

All Blood Angels Successor Chapters responded to Dante's call, except the Lamentors. The Flesh Tearers sent their entire chapter, for example.

That is some AWESOME fluff!!!

I like the way the BAs take care off ALL of humanity, not just their own "back yard"

Why do BAs get sooooo much cool wargear, Land Raiders, Storm Ravens, Sanguine Guard etc.......? This is just a thought..........But if the BAs are indeed close allies with the Grey Knights (who also get the best of everything the Imperium and Mars can offer) then perhaps they share a soft spot in the Emperors heart, and a good word being put in for them by the GKs wouldn't hurt either.

The Tyranid/Daemon battle sounds like it should be fun! The help of the GK for this one isn't even up for debate. I am more than sure that an astute Grey Knight Grand Master has been hot on the heels of the offending Deamon for some time now, and is trying to stop the inevitable invasion at every turn (this would be a great base for a Black Library novel about the GKs and BAs!).

Great stuff! Thank you for posting it! I look forward to reading it myself soon :lol:

GB

Archived