New fluff for Sanguinius and the Blood Angels

Julius Firefocht

Too bad that the Lamenters are, yet again, not part of the party.

When they received the message for help,

they probably pushed "Delete" instead of "Send Reply".

Tough luck.

love the fluff. Doesn't rip me from my Sons of Russ, but I've always liked Sanguinius second.

Looks like Kabandah, continues his blood lust for the Blood Angels post Heresy. I like the story possibilities there.

I think with such a glorious flaw in the BA gene seed needs a glorious counter balance. :lol:

With respect to Horus, I think there is some contradiction in what is stated in the HH books. I thought he was very fond of Sanguinius but perhaps he was hiding his envy.

That is some AWESOME fluff!!!

I like the way the BAs take care off ALL of humanity, not just their own "back yard"

Why do BAs get sooooo much cool wargear, Land Raiders, Storm Ravens, Sanguine Guard etc.......? This is just a thought..........But if the BAs are indeed close allies with the Grey Knights (who also get the best of everything the Imperium and Mars can offer) then perhaps they share a soft spot in the Emperors heart, and a good word being put in for them by the GKs wouldn't hurt either.

The Tyranid/Daemon battle sounds like it should be fun! The help of the GK for this one isn't even up for debate. I am more than sure that an astute Grey Knight Grand Master has been hot on the heels of the offending Deamon for some time now, and is trying to stop the inevitable invasion at every turn (this would be a great base for a Black Library novel about the GKs and BAs!).

Great stuff! Thank you for posting it! I look forward to reading it myself soon :D

GB

You are very close to the mark, there is no way the Grey Knights will not send forces to Baal to fight against Ka'Bandah, especially considering that it was a Grey Knight Justicar who informed the Blood Angels that Ka'Bandah was back.

It was this information which led to the Sanguinary Guard and Grey Knights joining forces to banish Ka'Bandah and his friends back into the warp in this battle:

- The Sanguinary Guard and the Grey Knights join forces to kick the Bloodthirster Ka'Bandah's butt back into the warp. Sounds like an epic battle that is just begging to be reenacted on the tabletop!

The Blood Angels Legion were described as "high in the Emperor's favour", so your theory as to why we get so many cool toys might not be all that off.

With respect to Horus, I think there is some contradiction in what is stated in the HH books. I thought he was very fond of Sanguinius but perhaps he was hiding his envy.

Horus hated Sanguinius after his fall because of what Sanguinius represented. Sanguinius was everything he could have been. Horus was insecure about his future where Sanguinius was secure. Horus hated Sanguinius because Sanguinius made apparent his weakness of character.

I've to admit that I was a little worried about the fluff (and not because Mr Ward is at the helm), seeing that the Codex is so much thinner than it's blue cousin's. But after reading a good portion, I'm relieved to find that there's sufficient good stuff inside to justify its price tag...

I was quite surprised by the Chapter's extensive armour, though. If I counted correctly, there's well over 150 dreads, gunships and tanks (excluding rhinos and razorbacks)... that's far more than in the Ultramarines roster (just 80 or so, excluding rhinos & razorbacks)! I don't remember the Blood angels having that many Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts in the fluff from previous editions... Not complaining though :D

With Sanguinius being installed as the leader of the loyalists after Horus's betrayal, surely it must have been him who sent Dorn back to earth to begin re-fortifying the palace.

Consider this though - he was good enough to fight a delaying war without the Ultras, Ravenguard, Salamanders or Iron Hands against 9 almost full traitor legions.

9 vs 5, and 1 of those was probably mostly busy preparing Terra for the siege... Tactical genius that would have put RG to shame methinks.

Sounds pretty good. I think perhaps now we may actually loose that whole vampire mythos and get some proper respect!

I also like the tie in as to why BA always seems to show up for every major conflict. Never was clear as to why we happened to be part of everything but now it at least has a thread of realism.

The other thing is that perhaps there may be a forthcoming plan for forgeworld to tie into a massive campaign on Baal. With the number of mutants on planet, they can make some wicked renegade militia stuff.

Sounds pretty good. I think perhaps now we may actually loose that whole vampire mythos and get some proper respect!

I also like the tie in as to why BA always seems to show up for every major conflict. Never was clear as to why we happened to be part of everything but now it at least has a thread of realism.

The other thing is that perhaps there may be a forthcoming plan for forgeworld to tie into a massive campaign on Baal. With the number of mutants on planet, they can make some wicked renegade militia stuff.

all the mutants on Baal are long since dead haha. You don't really think a Space Marine chapter would allow the scum to infest their homeworld do you? i'm pretty sure they all were wiped out before the Emperor even found Sanguinius haha.

also it makes sense our codex is smaller then the blue one, because that codex represents like 800 outta the 1000 odd chapters. Our codex represents a small amount in comparison.

If the remember correctly from previous editions, the Lamenters were one of the chapters which were almost annihilated by a hivefleet.

Prior to the Badab War, the Lamenters were involved in the Corinthian Crusade against the Ork Empire of Charadon. They managed to inflict heavy casualties on the Orks, subsequently putting Waaagh-Argluk back thirty years.

More recently, their crusade led them straight into the jaws of Hive Fleet Kraken. The Lamenters fought a hopeless battle defending the planet of Malvolion from the invading Tyranids; the Lamenters were wiped out and the planet destroyed. Only 3 companies of Lamenters remain.

also didn't sanguinius kill Ka'Bandah? like i thought he did more then just banish him back to the warp.

Daemons can never be truly killed, only banished. Apparently Ka'Bandah is pissed that Sanguinius defeated him and he had tried to make trouble for the Blood Angels ever since.

well if the Blood Angels sent a good amount of aid to Ultramar when it was in danger of tyranid invasion, i should hope the Ultramines return the favour now that Baal is on the brink. Also does anyone know roughly how many Blood Angel Successor's there are? I was always under the impression there were a lot, cause if they have like 30+ chapters coming to help, along with Grey Knights and other imperial aid, i wouldn't be surprised if they could absolutely whoop a hive fleet and daemon force.

From what I remember glancing at the page in the new codex it shows 7 or 8 successors which I think were Flesh Tearers, Lementers, Angels Sanguine, Angels Encarmine, Blood Drinkers and Blood Legion. So going by the codex at least 6 chapters answered the call.

From what I remember glancing at the page in the new codex it shows 7 or 8 successors which I think were Flesh Tearers, Lementers, Angels Sanguine, Angels Encarmine, Blood Drinkers and Blood Legion. So going by the codex at least 6 chapters answered the call.

Stress on at least. I think that specific snippet of lore mentioned that all Chapters descended from the Blood Angels (except the Lamenters) answered Dante's call.

anything explaining the sudden inclusion of the SG or sanguinor?

Eh, it's just a ret-con, right?

i like fluffy games, and i'd love to use them, but if they don't have some decent fluff behind them then i'll hate myself for using them.

just like i'm still trying to figure out exactly who thinks sanguinor is a myth. (your average imperial citizen thinks that astartes in general are just a myth as probably 90% of the imperium will never have an encounter w/ 1.)

likin the sound Of Allied Grey Knights, Wargaming And Fluff (WAF)

but how do you do Allied, Do you just get the two relevant codex and say, put Grey knights troops replacing what you would put as a troop choice, or somthing completely different

Stress on at least. I think that specific snippet of lore mentioned that all Chapters descended from the Blood Angels (except the Lamenters) answered Dante's call.

What I'm say is that thre were only 7 successors featured with colours schemes and pictures in the codex, I know fluff says there are many more and Lexicanum shows 11 chapters using the BAs geneseed. I was just say that if we go by what successors are in the codex then that points to 6 but if we go by general knowledge then much more.

all the mutants on Baal are long since dead haha. You don't really think a Space Marine chapter would allow the scum to infest their homeworld do you? i'm pretty sure they all were wiped out before the Emperor even found Sanguinius haha.

also it makes sense our codex is smaller then the blue one, because that codex represents like 800 outta the 1000 odd chapters. Our codex represents a small amount in comparison.

Not quite true. The scorched planet surface (Baal Secondus) is still rife with these hazards. Otherwise, how else would their initiates test themselves before entering the ring of blood in the valley of the angels fall(forget what it is called)? I don't have any source material with me right now but I seem to remember that the surface of Baal still has mutant tribes and radioactively infused monster beasts on its surface. They are likely not to cause the chapter itself any problems but they do present awesome opportunities to test the mettle or any aspirant. Besides, the chapter monastery resides on Baal itself, not its moons which is where the native inhabitants reside.

Not quite true. The scorched planet surface (Baal Secondus) is still rife with these hazards. Otherwise, how else would their initiates test themselves before entering the ring of blood in the valley of the angels fall(forget what it is called)? I don't have any source material with me right now but I seem to remember that the surface of Baal still has mutant tribes and radioactively infused monster beasts on its surface. They are likely not to cause the chapter itself any problems but they do present awesome opportunities to test the mettle or any aspirant. Besides, the chapter monastery resides on Baal itself, not its moons which is where the native inhabitants reside.

well there are still mutated creatures, like GIANT bugs and stuff, but i am fairly certain all the "intelligent" mutants are dead. It would not look good for the chapter to tolerate their presence on their home world.

@Captain spiros

the codex's of the inquisition (daemon hunters and witch hunters) have rules within them for using their forces as allies. I believe any imperial army (this includes all space marines, imperial guard and other inquisitorial armies) may take up to 1 HQ 3 troops 1 elite and 1 fast attack as allies. You still need to meet the minimum required force (1 hq 2 elite) from units within your own codex though.

all this talk of allied grey knights has got me thinking though. can our priests give them furious charge as well? how awesome would grey knight termies be, with str 7 I5 power weapon attacks! WOULD BE AWESOME!

That's simply because they were already almost completely wiped by the Tyranids.

Worried about that fluff with Ultramar...is that with the most recent hivefleet, or Battle of Macragge? I'd hate for the BoM story to get entirely rewritten...again...

HELL'S YEAH! I love the fact they revitalised the old chink in the armour story, definately one of my favourites.

Exactly. The chink never left my heart ;)

Need I mention that a MASSIVE mobilization of Successor Chapters is an awesome undertaking into itself, probably on the scale of a large-scale crusade? Even if, say, each Chapter just sends two Battle Companies, well, that's a LOT of Sons of Sanguinus in one place.

Just wait for Codex: Lamenters.

With Sanguinius being installed as the leader of the loyalists after Horus's betrayal, surely it must have been him who sent Dorn back to earth to begin re-fortifying the palace.

Dorn was already being sent back to terra with his legion to be the Emperors Preatorian guard whilst he worked on the golden throne, Sanguinius in my view would have been the leader of defending forces because of his legions ability to drive back the attacking forces.

Archived